Archinect
anchor

San Francisco Folks

weAREtheSTONES

Anyone know a place besides craigslist that I could find an apartment in San Francisco. For the past month and a half i have been searching for apts. It has been a painfull process especially in San Francisco where there are more people than housing units.
Ive found the granola yoga flaky types who say they are renting and then when they finally decide that they want to take u in for a second interview they flake out and say, "well we are thinking we will move out on Nov 1st .. not Oct. 1st"
-then theres the ol scam trick on craigslist which i have encountered about 5 times in the past 2 weeks
-Ive also tried walking around different parts of the city looking for the signs in the windows...but that was little or no luck...most of the signs are old

.....Ephin' A man - when will it end?

Sep 19, 07 5:06 pm
mightylittle™

it might never end.

i gotta say though, i've had luck with craigslist. my current abode, as well as the last two i got via craigslist. i live in the east bay though. you might want to give it a shot. east bay is awesome.

never underestimate the power of a well-written, polite, congenial and friendly introduction when you're emailing these people. get yourself a format and stick with it.

you got cats and dogs or something?

there's also lots of hotels in the tenderloin with cheap long-term options, if you don't mind crackheads.

Sep 19, 07 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

oh...good luck!

Sep 19, 07 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

tumbles and I will be in SF this weekend

Sep 19, 07 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

Ive explored all those options as well

-The eastbay is a great place to live...i work in Oakland and Berkeley...but the nite life sucks! BART stops running at 12:30 on the weekends and most things I do on the weekends tend to run past 1-2am...and i refuse to drive my vehicle in a city...or while ive been drinking(and what not!)

-I should rewrite my general email b/c its gotten me nowhere although i think its pretty damn good...I mean comeon, I have an excellent job what else do you need! I guess 1 thing thats kinda killing me is the kitten I acquired 6mths ago

-Yeah ive also thought about the hotels in the TL.......but i really kant deal w/ that place. I have a friend who lives there and when i pak my truck out front i have these guys who stash their drugs under my license plate, leave their boombox on my hood, sitting on my hood, setting up their crackhead flea markets right in front of my door.

thanks for the luck...i need it!

Sep 19, 07 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

for phil and friends at the greek?

Sep 19, 07 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

we all should meet up somewhere for a drink, no? mighty too!

Sep 19, 07 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

yeah...east bay nitelife isn't all that. i have the same problem with going to see shows or even just getting loopy in the mission.

i recently discovered a latenight bus that runs along market, to the transbay terminal, and then out to oakland and up through berkeley. goes slow, but it's $3.75 which is hella' cheaper than a forty dollar cab.

i think mdler and tumbles are coming up for a couple of exhibits...there's a thread around here somewhere, but no time to look now.

i'd be up for meeting for a pint somewhere.

archinector meet-up san fran style?

it's a big weekend in the city...the Bicycle Film Festival is in town starting today, West Coast Green starts tomorrow, Park(ING) day is Friday...lot going on.

Sep 19, 07 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

ooo me - me - me!

Sep 19, 07 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

saturday in the evening? i got a baby shower to go to in maclaren park earlier in the day, and then gotta' shoot back east bay way, but i'd porbably be able to rock some evening cocktails...

you guys flying up or driving?

Sep 19, 07 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

driving...staying in Monterey and coming in for the day on Saturday

Sep 19, 07 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

hey stones - I have a friend that might be vacating his place soon (maybe in a month or so? It's on 22nd and Irving - he calls it an inlaw studio space w/shared common area and shared kitchen. If you are interested I'll keep you informed if he gives notice.

Sep 19, 07 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

Sure Id like that. Thanks. Yeah thats the sunset district, mostly inlaws...pretty decent area...light rail close by...GGPark...the beach...it just gets really foggy over in that neck of the woods.
-But yeah I just need some place in the city near public transit!

Sep 20, 07 1:14 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i'm still thinking of where we should meet, but i'll post it up when i come up with it.

so many options, so little time.

stones, you in?

Sep 21, 07 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

yeah sure...no one emailed me though!...whats the deal?
-Im not sure of everyones plans but there is this sweet german bar/restaurant in Hayes Valley that I have been going to for the past 3 weekends...this place is great if you love beer...or german food!

Sep 21, 07 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

no deal...yet. tumbles and i emailed a bit talking about where to meet. i was actually thinking that Farmer Brown would be great...i love that place. and damn they got some tasty fried chicken!

might be crowded though...no, definitely will be crowded on a saturday night. unless we went early. the whole city will be mobbed, actually, considering it's a busy weekend all around.

maybe hipster track-bike bar Gestalt in the mission. they've got a grill too. or possibly some other mission spot like Elbo Room, or Beauty Bar. Those are close to Bar Tartine or Pizzeria Delfina for food, plut lots and lots of tacos. Look here

or east bay style and go to Luka's Taproom in Oakland,

or, hike it over to lower haight and hit noc-noc room, toronado for brews and rosamundi for sausages.

or north beach to see really obnoxious out-of-towners partying and get banh mi at VIETNAM restaurant.

tumbles, you and mdler are the out of towners this time, what you want?

cheap and divey (gestalt), lively and ecclectic (elbo room), fancy and expensive (cocktails at the westin st.francis...)

i guess i really don't care...they're all good options.

Sep 21, 07 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

Farmer brown looks good - Elbow room has a few indie bands playing that I could probably deal w/out. And yeah lots of bars in the mission. Lukas could be cool...they have a photography exhibit going right now.

---Local photographer Emily Rose currently exhibits her latest work on the walls in Luka's Lounge. The show exhibits several avant-garde photo series that are mysterious and remanisant of Film Noir. Exhibit shows August 25th through September 29th.---

Tornado is a personal fav of mine...lots of dank beerz! 1 duvel please! and thos sausages are always great after a couple few. sausages and beerz Ive been hanging out in North Beach way too much lately so maybe we could go somewhere else. although i can never pass up a steak sand-witch from goirdano brothers (steak, coleslaw(w/ oil and vinigar, no mayo), french fries, and cheese...all on the sand-witch) mmmmmmmmgood!
link

heres that german bar i was talking about (Suppenküche)

Sep 21, 07 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

Wahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOT IT! The apartment that is!!! what a stressful deal! 2 weeks ago I moved out of my place in Nob Hill paying $1295/mth w/o utl. - had to be out by the 15th....cause I couldnt afford the place anymore. But still didnt find a new place so I moved my shtuff to a friends in San Carlos (he and I were suppose to get a 2br together) But he has to be out of this place by Oct 1st....so thats this weekend...and of course last minute just an hr ago, land lady called and said we got it!
20th and Irving...1 block from the N-Judah - 1/2 block from GGPark - shops and food downstairs - good chinese food - 30 blocks to the beach.....agh! - so stoked!!! gotta go celibrate - peaz yall

-ill follow up when im having a party!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 28, 07 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

Congrats stones! What a coincidence - you'll be just a few blocks from my friend at 22nd and Irving!!!!

Sep 29, 07 12:39 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

Just did Pecha Kucha SF tonight, great turnout. Forgot to announce that Architecture for Humanity is moving into San Francisco next month. Hold onto your chaps we are coming to Folsom!

Sep 29, 07 2:20 am  · 
 · 
Katze

wait a minute! Am I loosing my mind - hasn't AFH already moved to SF? Or was I dreaming? Maybe this is a deja vu :) Regardless, welcome to Folsom Cameron et al....!

Sep 29, 07 3:01 am  · 
 · 
Cameron

we were (are) in Sausalito. here's our latest newsletter -- http://www.cooleremail.net/users/csinclair/2006FullList_October07.html

Sep 29, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

ah yes, Sausalito! Thanks Cameron...BTW glad to see Treehugger pimping the competition...and might I add your "Quit your day job, follow your dream and join us" is tempting :)

Oct 1, 07 1:03 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: