Archinect
anchor

Hobbies and Architecture

sunsetsam

Well, one of my main concerns is my hobbies coinciding (sp??) with architecture. Even though architecture is my main passion in life, another passion of my life, is photography. Do any of you guys have any problems when it comes to balancing 2 or more things you love, whether it's family and work, or hobbies and work. And, is it possible to do those two things together? My biggest fear is that I will have to let go of photography cus Architecture, but I would never let go of Architecture. Help Me..!!!

Sep 16, 07 1:26 am
THEaquino

photograhy is one of my hobbies as well. I take lots of pictures of buildings. Something I've come to learn is that you should try your hardest to leave work at the office.

Sep 16, 07 2:54 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Motorcycles. Regardless of what anybody says, architecture is static.... there's just something about going REALLY fast that makes me feel more alive than practically any other endeavor I can think of.

I just sold my bike, but I've ridden the past 20 years every chance I could get - before work, after work, on weekends, days off.....

Damn. Now I REALLY miss my bike. :(

Sep 16, 07 3:56 am  · 
 · 

you need something else other than architecture, even though i would say its my biggest interest.

on the side i spend alot of time and spare money on my analogue hifi - yeah valves and vinyl!
ipod? whats the hell's that?

Sep 16, 07 4:12 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

serigraph printing.

Sep 16, 07 8:01 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

saving the planet is my job, architecture is my hobby.

(i've been known to take a mean photograph every now and then...)

Sep 16, 07 11:26 am  · 
 · 
binary

hmm....

my hobbies include
dancin' (breakdancin'/house)
cars (my 77 vette)
furniture
clothing
etc

get rid of your t.v. also

b

Sep 16, 07 11:27 am  · 
 · 
baldo

i remember stefano polyzoides writing somewhere that he disliked photographing new buildings in architecture...
he is against the idea of "superficial imaging of architecture through photography"...
and that buildings should be photographed after 10 years or something like that...
he is for the integrity of the craft and going beyond the obvious visual "flash" in architecture..
i think this is something interesting.. i dont totally buy it though..

but it made me think.....

Sep 16, 07 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
sunsetsam

LOL, I do landscape and Model photography. I would never do architectural photography as an architect, no offense to any of of you guys who doy u arch. photography.

Sep 16, 07 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Furthest thing on my mind is architecture when I'm mt. biking and skiing ( x country + downhill), that's a good thing.

Sep 17, 07 12:22 am  · 
 · 
philipb

Working with the web alternates between a hobby and a job for me.

Im also very interested in photography, and would like to develop it more at some point, especially in relation to arch. Im not sure if theres much theory related to id, but it seem like a good way of exploring and developing an interaction with a building. Architectural critique + photographer sounds like a sweet job, but I fear most work in would be centered around making pretty interiors for real estate mags

Im curious sunset, why wouldnt you do arch photography?

Sep 17, 07 8:08 am  · 
 · 
difficultfix

I am an Architecture student..and as far as my education----that seems to be my life...I have a son and a wife who I spend little time with..and I play guitar...Which Feels like dont anymore...Guitar use to be my passion..All my days use to revolve around my guitar...now that longer is the case..

Sep 17, 07 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

one of my hobbies is building floats for the Rose Bowl Parade in Pasadena. I get to design the float, draft it, and then build it (welding / fabricating / etc). I can think about the way I am going to build it while I draft at work.

For me, this is an outlet for my creativity and need to build things (cause I am realizing that architecture isnt fullfilling these needs)

Sep 17, 07 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
CantileverApe

Anything hands on with some sort of rationale. My two biggest hobbies right now include bicycles and turntables. I'd like to get into bicycle building, but, without the extra time and $$, its just a dream right now.

DJing is another thing though, its easy enough to spend a few (after) hours putting down some good mixes, for friends and the like... Nothing public, I guess I'm a bit too shy for that. Unless I'm drinking... Which you could include as another hobby. Only the good stuff, gin is my poison at the moment, hendricks straight up with a slice of cucumber. That makes any difficulties in a given day just melt away.

Sep 17, 07 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
sunsetsam

ulterior, If i was an arch student, I wouldn't mind photographing architecture because it gives me another perspective of design. But If I was a well off architect, I would not want to photograph architecture as a hobby the interests just seem too clashing, hopefully that made sense.

Sep 17, 07 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
ckp

I'm not sure I understand why photographing architecture as a hobby and practicing architecture as a profession would be clashing activities.
Please explain to silly ol'me.

Aside, ceramics has been a pretty good hobby for me. Clay is really good at absorbing pent-up aggression.

Although I'm pretty interested with just about anything that gets me physically involved with a material...cooking, gardening, building projects around the house.

Physically working on something is a nice release from the tenative work that I do on the computer all the live long day.

Sep 18, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
baldo

travelling, a must for architects.. in line with this yeah photography seems good.sketching though is excellent, nothing compares with it.

i wanted to try film making and editing..seems somehow a release from the static.

everything in motion seems liberating, i will agree on riding a motorbike or vehicles on high speed...yeah its the speed.

Sep 18, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Back when I was younger, my creativity really drove a lot of my hobbies. (Painting, playing guitar, sculpture, etc.) Lately I feel like I need the escape from creativity. I know that sounds horrible, but I just need some time every day where something more mathematical drives my actions. I need a right and wrong answer just for an hour a day. I've taken up some stock trading at night. It's 90% numbers and 10% pop culture.

I also have to be outside for as long as possible each week, so I like riding my mountain bike, going to the lake, camping, hunting, fishing...pretty much anything that requires very little thought and being outdoors.

I try not to watch much TV, though. And if I do watch TV I need to learn something, otherwise I feel like I just wasted an hour of my life.

Nov 27, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

growing orchids

cleaning up tumble's dog's poop

Nov 27, 07 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Travel and photography -- Mostly amateur snapshots of places I've visited, but every so often I get lucky and manage to get a shot that could be construed as being professional-quality. I need better equipment and more know-how, though.

Trains -- I love trains, especially electric passenger trains. I used to volunteer at a railway museum doing restoration work on vintage subway cars, and I used to be active on a couple of railfan discussion boards. I'm not as active on that front as I used to be, though... Now that I ride the subway everyday, maybe the novelty of it has worn off a little.

Hiking and outdoors -- Not much opportunity for that here in NYC, but I'd love to be able to spend more time out in the Pacific Northwest.

Sailing -- Lots of opportunities for that here, but I haven't found the right people to do it with, though. Maybe in the spring.

Whitewater kayaking -- Once upon a time I thought about taking it up, but ended up destroying my right rotator cuff on my first lesson. I still enjoy reading other people's kayaking adventures, though.

I'd love to take up a musical instrument or two, but I feel like I don't have the passion to study and practice to the point where I'd become half-decent.

Nov 27, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

LIG

have you been to the transit museum yet?

Nov 27, 07 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

Gardening, yoga, traveling, photography (sometimes), hiking and rock climbing. Haven't done the latter two in a few years cuz I haven't found the right people around here yet. I've taken up knitting again for time being. Mostly a winter thing to pass the time.

Nov 27, 07 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Haven't been to the Transit Museum yet, but it's on my list.

Nov 27, 07 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
FRO

LiG- a good friend on mine's father is president of this railroad not too far from you, you should check it out some weekend...

Apparently, they reclaim unused sections of track, purchase and restore rail cars and engines, the whole bit. Check out the restoration photos of Engine 401.

Nov 27, 07 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
I'd love to take up a musical instrument or two, but I feel like I don't have the passion to study and practice to the point where I'd become half-decent.

there always...

Nov 27, 07 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
carbide

i find i'm doing progressively more and more photography (in my...free time) the further i get into school. it's a great complementary hobby.

i make zines, and when i'm in school, this stays totally on hold, to be caught up on during holidays and when working. other things i love like reading, sewing, making crap art and going to gigs end up on the sideline too.

i like making lists of hobbies for the future while busy, though. learning an intrument and making furniture? someday.

Nov 27, 07 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

not that anyone cares, but some new pics from my current hobby; float building

http://www.sptor.com/CurrentPics/Index.htm

i am the one with the mountain-man beard and exposed ass-crack

Nov 30, 07 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
jsun

i make maple syrup

Nov 30, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
minimalicious

I like to pretend I'm illustrator. I illustrate kid books on the side, although i feel this is a bit un-commendable.

Nov 30, 07 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Oysters and Trifle

Green Rooibos tea from tea forest. In the East Wing. In the Blue Room. With the candles on the chandelier lit.

Nov 30, 07 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Surgery and Accidents

Nov 30, 07 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
knock

Hand Modelling.

Nov 30, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Oysters and Trifle

I'm trying. (That means so much on so many levels.) Mr. M, it would usually take me kicking and screaming to get me to see the traditional mass killing of flowers on New Year's, but I think there should be a yellow elephant trunk contingent by the cameras for this coming parade.

Nov 30, 07 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
Oysters and Trifle

Silver Lake Adjacent. Okay, actually Silver Lake. But my hip quotient puts me geographically somewhere around Antarctica. In winter. Or is that summer?

Nov 30, 07 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

Scotch

Nov 30, 07 10:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: