Archinect
anchor

Clueless Tourist

kairo

Hmm heard this question before? Going to Los Angeles for a few days.

Looking for stuff to see. I'll only be in town for about 2 days.

I tried searching the discussions. If this has been rehashed for the upteenth time just point me to the previous link.

If I'm at a conference downtown and all the local hotels seem to be booked up what's the next closest, safest neighbourhood. I have a feeling I'm going to be renting a care.

thanks.

Aug 21, 07 1:36 am
Marlin

I created this Google Map recently for friends with a similar request. Explore the text; I removed all the personal references to them in the entries, so it should be reasonably clear.

As far as hotels, just look for ones near the 101 north of downtown, like Universal City, if your business is in Downtown.

Good Luck!

Aug 21, 07 6:39 am  · 
 · 
postal

Marlin... that's a pretty cool idea...

I think I might start one for Chicago.

Aug 21, 07 8:35 am  · 
 · 

yeah! thats fantastic, helps my LA plan also. thanks

Aug 21, 07 9:12 am  · 
 · 
Marlin

p2an: I spotted your recent thread asking the same question this morning, so i hope the map helps you as well.

postal: yep, it sounded like everyone enjoyed the tour. A lot of the little history tidbits were to give some local context to my friends, a married couple from New Zealand. Also, the map was a nice way to show them around town while I'm currently on the other side of the country. Honestly, I was a bit jealous of their trip while making it.

Aug 21, 07 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

kairo,

i suggest finding hotels/motels along the metro red line if the downtown hotels are booked...the red line goes as far as north hollywood in the valley, has a station in studio city/universal city, and hollywood...these areas are one train ride away to downtown.

north hollywood to downtown is 30 or so minutes...

Aug 21, 07 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

same goes for the gold line

Aug 21, 07 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

there is a great hotel or two in chinatown, one mile north of downtown that offer some of the best bargains in town. more pricey is the sunset blvd corridor through echo park/silverlake 3 to 4 miles out. both have hip stuff happening around them.

Aug 21, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

what's the budget for your stay per night? that can change things dramatically.

Aug 21, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
kairo

Can you take the Metro line in from the airport? I was looking at the LAX web site and it seems like only shuttle or bus.

I'm going around late October and I can't believe how busy it is. I'm trying to use hotel points to avoid paying cash.

The thing is there is so much to see and not enough time. It seems as thought the best thing to do is just focus on an area. I really want to see the Salk Institute but I think it's too far away. My friend wants to see The Getty.

I guess safety is a relative thing to. LA's pretty safe at night isn't it or are there areas to avoid other then Compton?

Aug 21, 07 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Salk is closer to San Diego.

LA is huge. There's a good chance you won't even accidentally end up in Compton or even South Central on the whole.

Make a list of what you want to see, and maybe we can narrow your points of interest to various areas of town.

Aug 21, 07 8:59 pm  · 
 · 

if I was in LA I'd go see my fave archinect'rs

Aug 21, 07 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

If you're going to be downtown you can hit the Portman, Disney Hall, Moneo's Cathedral, and Caltrans on foot (a little bit of walking but manageable).

But it's a long walk from the convention center.

Some parts of downtown can be bad, but just stay towards the west and you'll be fine. Getty center is ok in my opinion. Go see some of the FLW stuff like Hollyhock or Barnsdall. Or make a call and pay the fee to see Schindler house which is great. You can evaluate the new Lorcan O'Herlihy project that is just about done next door. (Interesting juxtaposition).

Walking the Venice canals is nice and the Abbot Kinney or "Silver Triangle" area has a projects by budding Gehry and Mayne as well as some newer stuff by local LA architects and int'l ones like Coop Himmelblau as well.

There's also the PDC if you're into Pelli...

If you're around in Oct, UCLA and Sci-arc will be in full swing so you could stop by and check some studios out if that's your interest as well.

The list goes on and on...

Aug 21, 07 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
grid

boyle heights is so hot right now

Aug 22, 07 2:50 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
Can you take the Metro line in from the airport? I was looking at the LAX web site and it seems like only shuttle or bus.

you can...you take a shuttle from the airport to the aviation station of the green line. transfer north to the blue line. the diagram looks misleading (it's showing as if downtown is futher west) but where the blue line and red line meet is actually within downtown already (7th and figueroa)

going to the getty by bus is also possible:

from downtown, take the red line heading to wilshire center station. take a metro rapid bus (720?) west to wilshire and westwood (near UCLA)...take the 761 or 233 north, get out at getty center drive...

or the other way is to take, from downtown, a bus that runs on wilshire to wilshire & westwood...

if you want to go to venice beach...it's one bus ride away from downtown...go to 7th and main, then take bus 333 or 33 west to venice beach...

Aug 22, 07 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ
take a metro rapid bus (720?)

*on wilshire...going west

Aug 22, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: