Archinect
anchor

i'm burned out

binary

tooo much work and no cash what so ever...... i'm burning myself out by working from 8am till 1-2am practically everyday........

cant find a decent office gig
dont really have the finacial backing to get my shop really going
detroit doenst have anything going on
i want to go to grad school......
mid-life crisis is setting in
no girl-friend/lady sidekick...

whats a guy supposed to do.....

i need to like sleep for a whole week or something just to relax...

b

Aug 15, 07 11:31 pm
alias.wavefront

I'll second that.

Can't find a good job that pays enough to live and pay loans back ...
Staying at the 'rents, where they keep the thermostat too high ...
Borrowing cash to live, going deeper in debt ...

Aug 15, 07 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
sunshine

i would love to just sleep for 5 hours straight.

what's a girl to do...

vacation next week, so that's something to look forward to. thankfully. until then...work.

Aug 15, 07 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
grid

sounds like i've got it made. good luck guys.

Aug 16, 07 2:53 am  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Why don't you head out to Saugatuck or Traverse City for the weekend, man. I felt burned-out years ago, yet realized that life is too short to spend it at a desk. Good Luck - Saturday is only two working days away.
As far as the money thing.....I'm still trying to figure that one out myself.

Aug 16, 07 7:54 am  · 
 · 

in the office where i work two ppl are away for an undedfined time due to burn-out, another was a year or so ago. it seems not such an uncommon problem. poczatek is right 'life is too short to spend it at a desk', many of us are so ambitious that we place extreme pressure on ourselves.

i also have learnt in the last 3 years that in the end - its a job, thats all, i love it - but there are other things in life.

a quote from my fave film of all time 'Living in Oblivion'

"Hey, listen, wolf.
Let me tell you something I've learned. All right?

Sometimes you just have
to roll with things, you know?"

Aug 16, 07 8:09 am  · 
 · 
binary

it's just that i have tooooo much motivation.... trying to get things going but yet always something

things i'm working on

get the model shop back up and running
push the t-shirt line a bit more
working on the furniture line
hustlin' for some design/build work...

all i want to do is create and do great work.....

grrrrr

b

Aug 16, 07 8:29 am  · 
 · 
cln1

If your that burnt out with no prospects, have you considered dropping everything (incl. detriot) and just going to grad school in a dif. part of the country. Work as a bartender to make some spending cash on the side and let the other projects fall into place.

sounds to me like you need to stop thinking and just do it

good luck

Aug 16, 07 8:52 am  · 
 · 
WtfWtfWtf™

Is it an unrelenting quest for praise, or is it a creative release? Or both? Spend the weekend thinking about these things before you have a physical and/or mental breakdown. Drink a bottle of wine on one of those white sand Lake Michigan beaches (if you partake)....something other than being 'hyper-motivated".
Stop and smell the roses.
That's my two cents - hope it helps.

Aug 16, 07 8:56 am  · 
 · 
meta

take a copy of lonely planet, save some dough and do some travel.

Aug 16, 07 9:24 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

i would agree with leaving detroit for a new start (grad school). change can be good.

Aug 16, 07 10:18 am  · 
 · 
simples

237am...that's what happens when you don't drink!

hang in there, you knew you were taking the right, harder path...whole bunch of u-d-shorties are still proud of you, and your guts!

Aug 16, 07 11:29 am  · 
 · 
mdler

sounds like you and sunshine should hook up

Aug 16, 07 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

^ agree, misery loves company

Aug 16, 07 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?
isn't this the same post as last month?

i mean maybe you need to start considering making some significant changes in your life if you want to get it on track? i might suggest otherwise than the above. for me life is easier and more exciting when I've got set goals and am actively pursuing them. stagnation is my kryptonite.

Aug 16, 07 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
corbusier4eva

As a fellow workaholic, I understand the drive to keep pushing your creative waking hours to the limit. But it only leads to burn out. Been there 3 times. Once really bad, and when that happens, you can't even think of getting out of bed, let alone go to work.

You're not going to give your best creative energy to something if you're burning the midnight oil. Quality is better and more fufilling that lots of quantity.

I try consciously to de-work (rather than de-stress...we're always under stress who are we kidding). Instead of taking work thoughts home with you, turn off your brain, walk the dog, go to the gym, take a shower, change your environment get out and do something different, and don't think too much! A mental break if only for a few hours, is as good as a weekend fretting about the upcoming working week. It sounds like you need a bit of non-work quiet time to figure out the other life stuff...

Aug 16, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
binary

it's more of a guilty thing.....

if i'm not creating/etc then i feel like i'm slacking....

for instance, i dont really have a full-time job..... been self employed for 8 years now.....

so, in order to stay self-employed and eat, i have to keep working on something..... i have a few niche's that i'm working with here since i tend to stay creative in alot of things.......

grad school would be nice...unless i husltin in a few decent sized jobs to pay for it then it's a no-go..... i was accepted to cranbrook and was looking into art center in cali also......... practically for a m.a. in industrial design....

thanks
b

one day i'll have an office for the shorties

Aug 16, 07 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitect

Don't confuse staying busy with productivity; they're definitely mutually exclusive. And only one pays the bills.

Aug 17, 07 11:15 am  · 
 · 
postal

give up, please

Aug 17, 07 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

cryz i would suggest goin back to grad skool asap. and here's why---

obviously you are a talented and driven guy so it would prolly be ez for you and i am sure they would make you head of the shop. by being head of the shop you have a great deal of power. you'd be like cardinal borghese round there c! also, this is how you could meet many fine young ladeez as they are interested in tools and men who know how to use them. i mean if you were in skool right now you could meet tumbles! so get on it!

Aug 17, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

quit today and start the shortie office i say every day that passes is a day of missed oppertunity

Aug 17, 07 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

cryzko, sorry to be a big judgemental, I've been looking at your site, and obviously you are very talented and have a great eye for good design, but...
However, in order to make bread and butter these days, one has to be pretty good at some 3d package, just to get a job and pay the bills...i do not see any 3d computer renderings, or even analytical stuff on your site....

Aug 17, 07 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
binary

the website will have a newer/cleaner/professional look in a few weeks..... the site up now is the old one...

the whole 3d thing is what has been hindering me years...... it's sort of sad that i get judge for not knowing viz/sketchup/etc in order to convey my ideas..... what ever happened to some sketches/models/etc...

i might not know how to detail a curtain wall but i think that most details are typical construction specs from maunfacturers anyways so why get all ryled up over that when it's a copy paste application anyways....

if a designer is rated by the amount of 3-d that they know then whats the point?.....

i HAD to make my ideas happen...hence the design/build items/etc.....

maybe i made a mistake....not sure...

take care

b

Aug 17, 07 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

C: For some unknown reason I'm still here. I always told myself once I became registered I would blow off this profession. My Real Passion is Print Making: Lithographs...but well I never have had the Balls....to say I can go make a living making Lithos...cause where the hell is the market for them...and you know your dealing with a whole new culture of people...so I stick with Architecture. We take the good and bad jobs (which people are not really willing to speak about here). I spent most of the day tossing money away at a job
site because of a home builder wanting to understand commerical
construction. Oh well, another day...can I bill the crap out of them,
nope cause the owner will most likely generate a hell of a lot of work for me down the road. So I bite my lip, do my job ....which is alot of fricking smooozing... What I come away with is hopefully another nice project to toss in with others. "C" there is alot of room for creative people in this profession...and I have looked at you stuff...and yup you have the stuff....so don't feel so burned out...
and you might want to venture beyond Detroit...unless your feeling like a big comeback is around the Corner. Rember....the movers and shakers.....have always been the guy not noticed in Po_dunk....
Go to grad school or shake your ass out of Detroit. Honest and Truthful Thoughts.

Aug 17, 07 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

dude, hamilton anderson

http://www.hamilton-anderson.com/es/day.html

macintosh poris

http://www.mcintoshporis.com/

granted i'm not in the hand right now, but there are things going on there

Aug 17, 07 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

i'm burned out too. came home, saw some stupid memorial video of a little girl who died from parental abuse someone e-mailed me and I start bawling...

what (the hell) are you doing from 8am to 1-2 am every day?

Aug 17, 07 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

cryzko, i had the comment on 3d, because your very first comment was 'cant find a decent office gig'...
really, what's the big deal about learning 3d? for someone like you with so much experience on building real models, a software like sketchup should be shit easy.

things like 'curtain wall details' can, as you say be grabbed from catalogs etc. and offices normally have people with a lot of experience in those things.

If you are going out looking for a 'real' job, you are most probably competing with kids who have a ton of experience in 3d programs, and frankly nowadays that is more valuable to a firm.

Aug 17, 07 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

doc....I have been looking at sketch up...all week...even went to one of there pod casts...still lurking at their site...but ya "c" grab the brass ring...and go for it....seem like a smart guy...

Aug 17, 07 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

jump into sketch-up guys, it takes 10 minutes to learn. we had a junior high kid come into our office for career day, we sat him down with some sketchup and a few hours later he had his dream house built complete with helipad.

Aug 17, 07 8:23 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

we hired him.

Aug 17, 07 8:23 pm  · 
 · 

curtain wall details can not be grabbed from catalogue. architecture is not cut and paste, not even in commercial office.

3d is not necessary.

credibility as designer is more impt for you, which means getting better work and shmoozing like hell to find clients.

my father in law once pointed out that i will never make any money or even have a career at all if i do brilliant work where nobody can see it. he had a point, and since he is ceo/president of 3 ( ! ) fairly big companies and is wealthier than i ever hope to be i took the point to heart. i was angry too cuz that is the proper response of starving artists, but he was/ is right. 8-12 hours in shop is not worth much unless it is towards some end. i assume you have someting in mind, but maybe is useful for you to rethink the plan, spend more time hustilng without coming off as hustler (if you know what i mean), and less time working late...

easier said than done, i know...

Aug 17, 07 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
binary

my day
8amish to 6-7pm... contract work at "other" model shop.... 7pm-11pm design stuff for my t-shirt/furniture/etc line and at the coffee house.... 11pm till 2am... back home working on my stuff....

when i'm not at the "other" shop

11am-11pm at coffee house..... unless i have a job on hand...
11pm till 5-6am...still working...

i might go out and get my dance on' during friday/saturday night...

we'll see how things start up once the new marketing/website is launched/etc...

regarding the firms above... h.a.... i know the head designer there... and sent over my resume/etc...... nodda....

i really think it's a sign that i need to stay on my own......

gotta get back to work....later

b

Aug 17, 07 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

jump, i meant curtain wall details, stair details etc., can be learnt from catalogs or older projects or more experienced colleagues. I know because ive done it.

as for 3d, i think our friend 'c' here is looking for entry-level jobs, and i really dont know if there are any entry level jobs that can be had without knowledge of 3d...anyways, im sure any skill will be useful.

Aug 17, 07 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

c, you are such a unique individual (what little I know of you), you probably wouldn't do well working for the man anyways.

If you are not making your business fly b/c you need some start up capital, you could get a loan on a person to person lending site like prosper.com. Do you have a business plan?

Aug 17, 07 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
binary

yeah... i need a sugar momma..haha/jk

thats really the issue.... start up loot...... only way for me to raise to cash to get going is to get the work..... a few model jobs would really get the ball rolling for me......

i tried the whole personal loan thing at the bank but due to past student loans... no help there...... hence grad school on hold.....etc...

i'm hoping that things turn around soon....... i have goals here in detroit since i can get materials anywhere and i'm the only cat really doing what i'm trying to do...(i think)...... plus grad school is here also...and i can get a 2 story 3,000 sqft building for like 30-40g's for the shop...

i'm gonna talk to a few people this weekend hopefully to see if i they can help me out......

thanks fro the suggestion straw

b

Aug 17, 07 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i wanna helipad dreamhome goddammit! oh wait wheres my tao te ching at....ah thats better

Aug 17, 07 10:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: