Archinect
anchor

Poll: do you volunteer?

4arch

Do you spend time volunteering? What kind of volunteering do you do? How much time do you spend doing it? Why do you do it?

Jul 30, 07 12:01 pm
whistler

Yes

Planning Commisions, Design Panels, Green Building Task Forces and Urban Design studies.

Because its what we do to make places better, networking, good debates, and generally important to make connections with other professionals and community leaders.

Jul 30, 07 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

i volunteer at the local contemporary theater and independent movie theaters. i help out with desk crits and jurying for thesis students when asked.

why? because it is fun. you meet people, you become a visible part of the community, and i can't deny that the perk of seeing things for free is great.

Jul 30, 07 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
n_

I volunteer for the Human Rights Campaign.

I plan parties (read: fundraisers) and events such as AIDS Awareness Week. I design party (read: fundraisers) and event posters. I (sometimes, not often) work with the youth counseling program. I am beginning to delve more into the legislative aspect of the organization which has been a great experience, too. My hours range from 0-10 hours a week.

I do it because I have to give back in some way, shape, or form. I'd feel mighty selfish if I just expected to receive and never give back.

Jul 30, 07 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I build Rose Bowl floats for South Pasadena...all volunteer.

I get to weld!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 30, 07 12:40 pm  · 
 · 

I help a non-profit trying to restore a historic home. I used to plant trees, and before that worked with an animal rescue group. My volunteering has really tapered off since grad school app season, though. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up again in the future.

Jul 30, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I done lots in the past, but none lately.

- Directed interior remodel for local shelter house - paint, finishes, bedding, accessories.
- 2 hours a week at above local shelter for about 2 years doing various tasks
- In college, planted a garden and did upkeep at another shelter
- Served on the board as secretary for young professionals group
- Worked/organized various events/fundraisers associated with same young professionals group

Great experiences all around. I got to meet people I wouldn't otherwise, and it felt good, was fun. (Plus you have to do something for IDP. That's how I got started, but I ended up blowing away those requirements at least 10 fold.)

Jul 30, 07 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

<-----puppy rescue. I picked up two this weekend (a cute little golden retriever mix & a rather timid and emaciated husky).

why? cause it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

actually, a lot of other reasons- but lets keep this light

Jul 30, 07 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Yes....

-Was site construction supervisor for a Habitat for Humanity build until I decided that I could support an organization that used vinyl siding. I waited until the house was finished to stop volunteering though, LOL.
-Volunteered for several green building charrettes locally
-Taught a kindergarten class in a local summer program about Architecture (hilarious)
-Lots of political volunteering
-Regularly gave tours of local architectural landmarks, and my alma mater in all of its Master-planned glory

Will have to find other opportunities when I get to grad school!

Jul 30, 07 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

That last post should read:

Was site construction supervisor for a Habitat for Humanity build until I decided that I couldn't support an organization that used vinyl siding.

Jul 30, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
cf

I volunteered some 120 hours last year building a park shelter.

N O T E :
If you are forced to work to receive credit to keep or establish membership in a professional orginazation, your are [heavy underline]NOT[/heavyunderline] volunteering.

Jul 30, 07 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
AP

growing up i never lifted a finger unless money (or fear of punishment) was involved. once i felt as though i had something to offer, i began volunteering it in various ways...

for example, in June 2006 I co-founded an activist group, [color-green]Public Space Jacksonville[/color], with a handful of other community minded people.

*The 6 members of this group made acquaintance while participating in an "issue forum" hosted by another local non-profit. This issue forum, [i]Streetscape to Skyline[/url], directed its energy at understanding the various political, legal, social and economic factors at play within the creation of Jacksonville's downtown, and what sort of measures could be implemented to generate higher quality design and development within this small geographic area.

Among other things, the issue forum illuminated the fact that no entity existed to encourage quality development. There was a design review board, but they functioned as a reactionary committee, by responding to development projects and making recommendations that would force developers to adhere to the codified Downtown Master Plan.

[color-green]Public Space Jacksonville[/color] was created by 6 members of the issue forum (which totaled 25-30 people). Our goal was to come up with a meaningful way to advocate for quality public space in the downtown core. To this end, we decided that a catalyzing project would be the most successful means of doing so...

the project, a park/plaza located on the river downtown, is well on its way to becoming a reality.

otherwise, i guess mapa also counts as a volunteer activity...

Jul 30, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
AP
Public Space Jacksonville

= instead of -

!@#$%^&*(!!!

Jul 30, 07 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

dubK

I did Habitat for Humanity for a while but got completely frustrated with ...

A - the fact that nobody knew what was going on

B - having had construction / architecture experience, I was being instructed by people who had no idea what was going on

C - the whole Jesus thing

Jul 30, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
cf

j

Somehow I think most people are in a position to volunteer or kill.
I volunteer because I choose to give without accepting.

Jul 30, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

As a kid – Volunteering at church

In the Air Force – Volunteering is a big and important part of military culture. I worked in orphanages and homeless shelters as well as working in the Rosebud and Pine Ridge Reservations, among the poorest places in the U.S.

Now – I volunteer to Environmental and Social-Justice causes in school. From community design efforts in African-American communities in Gainesville, to work with the GSD's Green Design.

Jul 30, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
tinydancer

sure do...I've done 3 of the Breast Cancer 3 day, 60 mile walks-walked in 1 of them and crewed the other two. Volunteered this last year at the Boys and Girls Club as a mentor for high school students to help them learn about and apply to college. Have worked for Habitat for Humanity and Hearts and Hammers. Used to foster basset hounds for a basset rescue, but the last one we did and adopted out broke my heart and I couldn't take it any more-plus I went back to school and don't have the time or money.
Would love to do more, but not enough time!

Jul 30, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
e

I volunteer my time/services. We take on a couple of pro-bono projects or projects for a much reduced fee each year for causes/organizations we believe in. Our latest is the Espy Foundation.

Created in 1998, the Espy Foundation is a non-profit organization based in Oysterville, Washington and dedicated to advancing and encouraging visual artists, writers, musicians, and all aspects of creativy. Serving the needs of emerging as well as established writers and artists, the Foundation's core programs include the Residency Program.

They need to raise $3.25 million to fund the construction of a series of residences and an addition to their library. Here is a sketch of the proposal.

We created a brochure and a series of other print and digital pieces for them to approach people with about possible donations.

Jul 30, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

oh yeah, did habitat for humanity too. and taught some girl scouts about architecture. i also grew up doing groundskeeping of the old cemetary on my family's farm (owned by the township but surrounded by our land).

Jul 30, 07 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

cf, I didn't mean to imply I "volunteered" to get credit and still called it volunteering, somehow I think you are talking to me. I wanted to point out that IDP STARTED me volunteering, but I went way beyond the requirements. I was kinda saying something nice about IDP, that part of it actually worked to get me more involved, I viewed it as the stupidest part of IDP till I did it.

Jul 30, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
4arch

Nice to hear what everyone is doing. I want to get off my ass and do something, just haven't figured out what yet. So it's nice to get some inspiration.

Jul 30, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

bryan, it's easier than you think, and infinitely rewarding. How about being a Big Brother? There are lots of kids who need someone to look up to.

Jul 30, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

Food Not Bombs

Jul 30, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
some person

I volunteer at one of the Smithsonian's art museums every other Sunday afternoon. The training alone was enough to satisfy a good portion of the IDP requirements. I'm still going strong a year and a half later.

Why I do it:

1. People need to know where the bathroom is.
2. What is more peaceful than modern art?
3. I feel that my background in modern architecture gives me a unique perspective and ability to assist visitors.
4. I enjoy the "scavenger hunt" every time to find out what has changed in the museum so that I can adequately direct visitors.
5. No real boss - I "punch in and punch out" at distinct intervals. No overtime required.
6. It has helped my interpersonal skills. For instance, we are encouraged to find out what visitors' interests are and give them options of things to see, rather than saying "My favorite is the Calder on the third floor You should start there."
7. What else am I going to do on Sunday afternoons? Watch NASCAR?

Jul 30, 07 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Over the past 15 years I've probably volunteered an average of 8-hours per week to everybody's favorite non-profit organization: AIA. Much of that time was weekend and evening time.

I do this because the profession is important to me and has provided me with a great career. I want to give something back. I learn a lot doing this work and I meet some very, very interesting people.

Jul 30, 07 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
athenaeum

while i'm looking for a job in nyc, i've been volunteering with the van alen institute. about 20 hours a week. it's been a blast and really wonderful. great people, give you a huge cool amount of stuff to do. hands down the best faux-job i've ever had. i think the fact that it's volunteer makes it even more enjoyable because it's totally on your terms. i can see why geriatrics make a life doing volunteer work.

Jul 30, 07 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
cf

j:

Do you wlak down the street?
Do you open a door to enter a building?
Do you stand up in a bus to give an elderly lady your seat?
Do you tell someone they dropped their wallet or return it to their house?
Do you help an elderly lady change her flat tire in the rain?

[Big Smiley Face]No of course not, you have family obligations and you don't get AIA or church credit. [/Big Smiley Face]

Jul 31, 07 10:15 am  · 
 · 

what, cf and j, are you guys picking a fight about who does more altruistic work? that's helpful...

Jul 31, 07 10:20 am  · 
 · 
FRO

I volunteer with the local Fire/EMS Department. I've been doing it for about 3 years, some weeks there is a call every day and some weeks there are none. It's very rewarding, I get to work with a whole bunch of great people of varying backgrounds, and using the Jaws of Life at 3am can be really freaking fun.....

Plus you get to learn a lot about how a building falls down when it's on fire.

Jul 31, 07 11:34 am  · 
 · 
cf

I volunteer to fight, more.

Jul 31, 07 11:39 am  · 
 · 
cf

[Again with the Big Smiley Face]I don't care if you volunteer or not.
Forced volunteering is not volunteering. [/Again with the Big Smiley Face]

Jul 31, 07 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

there is no hierarchy in Food Not Bombs and it's worldwide

Jul 31, 07 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
athenaeum

Food Not Bombs is a great organization. In the mid-90's our chapter had a hookup with someone that worked at Brueggers Bagels. He would leave all the days leftovers - bags and bags of bagels otherwise destined for the dumpster - in an undisclosed location behind the store. We would collect and distrubte them to the homeless people in the park on Saturday mornings. Sometimes over 5000 bagels. I know, not the most nutritious food item, but it's a carb. If only we could provide Beau Soleil Oysters with Mignonette and Pan Roasted Halibut with Pea Puree & Escarole for our homeless friends.

Jul 31, 07 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
cf

If it's forced egalitarian, then it isn't.

Jul 31, 07 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
cf

j:
Please rephrase your question.

Jul 31, 07 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
athenaeum

may I suggest you two take this outside.

Jul 31, 07 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
cf

athenaeum:
Is that a forced volunteering suggestion? Do we get three gold stars for this volunteering effort? I really need 4 to meet my next Step Up. Please ask the Forced Volunteering Committee to raise the priority level to at least a 4 star. May the Force be with you.

Jul 31, 07 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

you mean like voluntary association and mutual aide?

Jul 31, 07 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

the only use of force i see as valid is the protective use of force

Jul 31, 07 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
tobyv

i volunteer at my old high school's architecture department. its a vocational school and i spend about 10 - 12 hrs / week there in combination with doing college and work.

i think helping younger people become more aware about architecture and giving them more exposure of any sort greatly impacts a person's decisions and perceptions about arch. hopefully it works out for them in positive ways, but im learning a lot too by being there and working with high school students in ways that can help me become a better educator, which is what i have in mind besides becoming an architect when im older.

Sep 9, 07 2:33 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Nowadays I volunteer my time on some Sundays as an acolyte at my church. (Some churches use kids as acolytes, our acolytes are mostly adults.) It didn't involve more than a couple hours a week, but it's a nice break from architecture stuff, and the people are great.

Some of my past volunteer activities:

Illinois Railway Museum. Helped restore and operate vintage subway trains and trolleys. I spent maybe 8 hours a week there, mostly on Saturdays. Great people, but not a great way to meet women.

Adaptive Sailing Program, Chicago. Helped people with physical disabilities operate and race small sailboats on Lake Michigan, while learning about sailing myself. That was maybe a few hours per week one summer. Lots of fun, some seasickness involved.

Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago. Spent a few hours a week helping people with physical disabilities in the Institute's in-house fitness center. Great people there as well; I still kept in touch with some of them up until fairly recently.

Lately I've been thinking about doing more volunteer work here in NYC, but I'm still exploring options. Habitat for Humanity and Architecture for Humanity are strong options, but I'm not married to the idea of doing something architecture-related... Sometimes I feel like I do enough of that during the week, and it wouldn't be bad to have a break from it.

Sep 9, 07 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Nice tip on Chicago, LiG. I'm gonna look up the Rehab Institute. One small gripe since moving here: I've contacted the Windy City Habitat group a couple times and have received *nothing* in response, not even an automated reply. I would love to do something in the field I know most about, so if anyone knows of any (preferably local to Chicago) alternatives to Habitat, that would be great. I'm kinda bummed about the whole thing at the moment.

Sep 10, 07 12:17 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

i give blood numerous times a year, but have to give it up for this next whole year(just had a tattoo).

i also do "polar bear plunge" type events where numerous crazy people like myself jump into the chesapeake bay in january for a good cause(special olympics maryland).

Sep 10, 07 1:37 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

^oh yeah, i do it because it makes me smile. i see no reason not to help someone else if you have the slightest ability to do something for them.

Sep 10, 07 1:38 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

i tried to give blood a few months ago...

they don't like theose who've had beef while living in the UK between 1985-1995.

Sep 20, 07 3:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: