Archinect
anchor

editing Wikipedia

WonderK

Oooh, Quilian I like that idea. That way we're not constantly logging in and out of Wikipedia.

I already set up an "open" Google account when I did the Summer Moving Map....do you want to just use that one? It doesn't matter to me.

Jul 26, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 

WK, I forgot about it and went and made another account... d'oh!

The account I created:
username: archinectwikiproject
password: archiwiki
email address: archinectwikiproject @ gmail . com (no spaces)

The document can be accessed by clicking on the 'documents' button on the top right.

I think we should use that space to make changes, but please include your archinect name as you make them. I think this should still be a place to make comments and strategize, but being able to see the document and edit it may help us move forward.

Jul 26, 07 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Wooo! Cool, Q. I'll check it out.

Jul 26, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
I made some changes to the entry and started a draft for the education section. Please comment on the changes. I think we need to make a list of international professional organizations, and another for international accrediting bodies and other architectural school-related organizations. I think I will start other threads to get the help from international archinectors for some of that research.

THE ARCHITECT

The role of the architect is constantly evolving, and is central to the design and implementation of the environments in which people live. In order to obtain the skills and knowledge required to design, plan and oversee a diverse range of projects, architects must go through extensive formal education, coupled with a requisite amount of professional practice.

Architectural design is an interdisciplinary field, drawing upon mathematics, science, art, technology, social sciences, politics and history, and often governed by the architect's personal approach or philosophy. Vitruvius, the earliest known architectural theorist, states: "Architecture is a science, arising out of many other sciences, and adorned with much and varied learning: by the help of which a judgment is formed of those works which are the result of other arts." He adds that an architect should be well versed in other fields of learning such as music and astronomy.[4]

Professional Practice:

Architecture as a profession is the practice of providing architectural services. The practice of architecture includes the planning, designing and oversight of a building's construction by an architect. The professional practice of architecture is regulated by local professional organizations, governmental registration boards, and building codes.

In the 1440s, the Florentine architect, Alberti, wrote his di Re Aedificatoria, published in 1485, a year before the first edition of Vitruvius, with which he was already familiar.[3].[4] Alberti gives the earliest definition of the role of the architect. The architect is to be concerned firstly with the construction. This encompasses all the practical matters of site, of materials and their limitations and of human capability. The second concern is "articulation"; the building must work and must please and suit the needs of those who use it. The third concern of the architect is aesthetics, both of proportion and of ornament.

Education:

In most jurisdictions using the title 'Architect' requires individuals to prove that they have received the appropriate education from a school of architecture that the jurisdiction deems sufficient. Architectural education has seen many incarnations, from the apprenticeship system in place for most of history, to the beaux arts system that focused on the study of classical architecture from Ancient Greek and Roman culture, to the contemporary studio-based system at most schools today that emphasizes problem-solving and developing design skills. No matter which educational system is followed. architecture schools around the world have to go through the accreditation processes required by their national accrediting body.

All changes are also in the google document

Jul 27, 07 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

Quilian,
after reviewing the entry for "Architecture" and "The Architect" you -or other 'necters with better English than me- may want to review this one... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starchitect
"close to starchitect status" -> this has to be one of the most ridiculous entries in Wikipedia related to arch I've seen so far... how come Kazuyo Sejima is "close to starchitecture" and Nicholas Grimshaw (?) is already a "current starchitect"? - by no less than Google hits!! ... and there's a "yesterday's starchitects" list! - why Meier and not Foster? *sigh* ...
The Dead Starchitects list is also quite absurd.. Gaudí and other Art Nouveau artists were known internationally just like Gropius and Corbu... and why not consider Bernini a "starchitect"? that guy was travellin' from Italy to France in 1665 and his "international popularity was such that on his walks in Paris the streets were lined with admiring crowds." .. how many admiring crowds go crazy -a la Beatles- at the airports everytime Nouvel or Calatrava come to your city? - you can't be more "starchitected" than Bernini!

Anyway, this will probably be more difficult to "intellectualize" than the typical academic definition of "architecture", but sure it'll be more fun, no? :)

Aug 1, 07 6:19 am  · 
 · 
In the late 20th century a new concept was added to those included in the compass of both structure and function, the consideration of sustainability

hmmm I'm not sure sustainability is a concept or even new

Aug 4, 07 1:36 pm  · 
 · 

i added Manny, Moe + Jack to 'close to starchitect status'.

you know, PEP BOYS...

Aug 6, 07 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

i agree with techno...the concept isnt new, but the fad may be.

Aug 7, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
filo

it is definetly smart idea ...
i jump in just now::

small spelling mistake taken away, on de re aedificatoria and not di re aedificatoria....

stararchitect might be a new word but not a new concept ... if i would go back at renaissance i would call the best architect known to build the new cathedral ...

Aug 8, 07 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

A suggestion....

for whoever wites the ARCHINECT....page on wikipedia...

their should be a list of star archinectors... Such ass
VADO Retro, Mdler..etc

Aug 9, 07 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

when you do a wikipedia search for archinect, you get this as a 100% match: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob%27s_House_Records

why? scroll down to the endnotes.

Aug 9, 07 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
bothands

The only "architects" mentioned under "Architecture today" at the end of the Wkipedia entry for architecture as of now are Christopher Alexander, Brenda and Robert Vale, Edward Mazria and Ian McHarg (who was in fact not even an architect)!?!?

That simply aint right...

Aug 10, 07 2:44 am  · 
 · 

bothands, that is a major thing to change. We are updating them in order and have not looked at that section yet. What other architects should we include to correct that ASAP.

Aug 10, 07 9:20 am  · 
 · 
bothands

Well, the ones that are shaping practice now, which it seems would have to at least include Rem Koolhaas, Herzog & deMeuron, Norman Foster, Frank Gehry, Zaha Hadid, and hopefully a selection of the younger generation(s)...

Aug 10, 07 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
e909

i think there's more arch-related matter in public schools than philosophy. this is fortunate, since many parents would sue over student fatalities caused by forced reading of philosophy texts.

verifiable
"The Content of this Article is in Dispute"

great idea though. i unfortunately have nothing useful to contribute except anectdotal personal information.

this is one of the biggest defects of wikipedia. it means something needs to have been "published" before the info can appear in wikipedia. (in actuality, instead many 'unverified' paragraphs appear, though with that disclaimer.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citing_sources
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Verifiability

Aug 12, 07 12:28 am  · 
 · 
e909

prefab can link to wikipedia pages, such as:
http://www.google.com/search?q=site:en.wikipedia.org+pre-fab

----------
the LA page isn't too bad, i guess. I don't expect much. perhaps it'd be nicer if the page gave a little more hint at the hort side, but this lack accurately represents 'the profession' :-)

Aug 12, 07 12:34 am  · 
 · 
e909

the anchor numbering needs to follow csi... :-)
------------
does the Arch_History page include art nouveau? (nahhh, leave it out - too difficult to spell correctly.)

then for types of arch, should include extra terrestrial structures? undersea? caves/subterranean of course.
----------
and then somewhere there should be a whiny paragraph on the theft of the word 'architect' :-) eg, http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aen.wikipedia.org+information+architect

i think those $#@!#! landscape archs started this, $#$@@$-it.

though some are crossover: http://www.google.com/search?q=site:en.wikipedia.org+marine+architecture

Aug 12, 07 12:50 am  · 
 · 
e909
if you plan to do this seriously you better find a way to "block" the entry afterwards because any 13 y.o. kid can edit the page and change your meticulously 'Architecture' definition for a pic of his "Fuck Gehry" signed t-shirt...

and then you can send the kid's address to Hannibal Lecter in a note describing the 13 y.o. kid as tender and 'milk-fed'.

seriously, (ha, yeah), wikipedia has an edit-history view. i think in that tab "history" near the top of the page. http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Architect&action=history

but then if the edits turn into a paste-ball feud, is the feud settled in the discussion-view?

Aug 12, 07 1:03 am  · 
 · 
e909

let's not omit the demolition stage.

also i like the regionalism idea. eg, compare tropical 50/60's modernism to scandinavian.

Aug 12, 07 1:31 am  · 
 · 
e909
I am busy with architecture camp

ooooh, tent architecture. wiki torches and mosquito nets?

Aug 12, 07 2:17 am  · 
 · 

hilarious!

Aug 16, 07 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
grahambarron

this is a great effort, i would like to help.

we should have a section on drawing conventions. basic explanations of plan, section, elevation, perspective.

graham

Aug 17, 07 12:27 pm  · 
 · 

i moved the Pep Boys Manny Moe & Jack, closer to starchitect section. good going guys.

Aug 19, 07 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Great work, abra.

Aug 20, 07 3:25 am  · 
 · 
filo
http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture

how about this page?

Aug 21, 07 4:00 am  · 
 · 

As you may have already seen this thread has been noticed. So far we have made some progress changing these entries but not nearly enough, so, now that summer is over let's start this again.

Sep 11, 07 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

was vitruvius a plan checker?

Sep 12, 07 1:56 pm  · 
 · 

if you are bored with the forums, get to work!

Sep 21, 07 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Paul Weinstock

Hi I am new trying to use edit and do not know how to edit and who can edit the Wikipedia, Does anyone could tell me?

Thanks
Paul Weinstock

Oct 16, 08 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

With this bump, I just noticed that the "earnings" section of the "architect" article provides the following information:

Earnings for architects range widely, you make anywhere from $300,000 to $500,000 a year! depending on experience, and where and how they work. Salaries also vary depending on the size and location of the practice. Earnings have traditionally been dependent on the local economic conditions but, with rapid globalization, this is becoming less of a factor for larger international firms. Some architects become real estate (property) developers or specialized roles where they can earn a significantly higher income than the industry median.

I'm obviously working at the wrong firm.

Oct 16, 08 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9coxGJNjZI
May 12, 10 4:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: