Archinect
anchor

editing Wikipedia

No problem Barry, it is good and important to have it there already. We will probably revisit it later, if you don't mind, as we place it into the new outline.

Jul 2, 07 8:40 pm  · 
 · 

:-)

Jul 2, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

this link should be added to the green page - http://www.grist.org/comments/soapbox/2005/10/26/leed/index1.html

Jul 2, 07 8:52 pm  · 
 · 

Combining all these efforts this is what we have so far:
(my changes are in bold)

Architecture (1)
(from Latin, archĭtectūra and ultimately from Greek, αρχιτεκτων, "a master builder", from αρχι- "chief, leader" and τεκτων, "builder, carpenter")[1] is the art and science of designing buildings and structures. A wider definition often includes the design of the total built environment: from the macrolevel of town planning, urban design, and landscape architecture to the microlevel of designing a building's details and furniture.

Architectural design involves the manipulation of space, volume, texture, light, shadow, materials, and other elements in order to achieve an aesthetic(2) end, the manipulation of the programmatic(3) use of space to serve a social end; and the synthesis of all requirements to serve a functional(4) end. This distinguishes Architecture from the applied science of engineering which usually concentrates on the structural and feasibility aspects of design. Architectural works can be seen as cultural and political symbols and works of art. Furthermore, not all Architectural design has a three-dimensional built object as its end goal. Many architects have made purely speculative designs that although cannot be brought into full construction, have nonetheless made a large impact in the architectural field. The term "Architecture" is also used for the profession of providing architectural services.

Historical civilizations are often known through their architectural achievements. Such buildings as the pyramids of Egypt and the Roman Colosseum are cultural symbols, and are an important link in public consciousness, even when scholars have discovered much about a past civilization through other means. Even today, Architecture and the built environment are an important part of many nation's and/or locality's collective consciousness. (needs reference)

By extension, the term "architecture" has come to denote the art and discipline of creating an actual, or inferring, an implied or apparent plan of any complex object or system. The term can be used to connote the implied architecture of abstract things such as music or mathematics, the apparent architecture of natural things, such as geological formations or the structure of biological cells, or explicitly planned architectures of human-made things such as software, computers, enterprises, and databases, in addition to buildings. In every usage, an architecture may be seen as a subjective mapping from a human perspective (that of the user in the case of abstract or physical artifacts) to the elements or components of some kind of structure or system, which preserves the relationships among the elements or components.

This article is about architecture as it pertains to the design of the built environment.

1-Using all the original links in:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture
2-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesthetic
3-We need to create Page
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Architectural_program&action=edit
4-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functionalism_%28architecture%29 (is this an appropriate page?)

Jul 3, 07 7:20 am  · 
 · 

The entry above includes the changes by WonderK, AP, and lletdown; as well as incorporating comments by oe, Vado, Beta.

Jul 3, 07 7:24 am  · 
 · 

sounding good so far, y'all.

one comment i'll make, since i haven't had a lot of time to spend with this > an example from barry's: ..."architects today have finally started to integrate..."

i think you should beware and refrain from value-judgments like the one implied by the 'finally' in that entry. we all know where barry's coming from, but you want the entry to give the perception of dispassionate, controversy-free reporting. leave the 'finally' out and you don't lose any of the basic meaning of the passage, but you hold back any communication of a bias.

Jul 3, 07 7:30 am  · 
 · 
AP

also, on barry's post:

The most significant development in the profession is the mainstreaming of sustainability.

that's not a factual statement. we may all think this is the case, but it can't be stated as a fact.

Jul 3, 07 9:57 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

I would change the sentence to read:

One significant development in the professionis the mainstreaming of sustainability....

Jul 3, 07 10:03 am  · 
 · 
AP

agreed, both dubK and Steven.

Jul 3, 07 10:29 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

ok, should I make those edits tonight or is somebody else able to do that first?

I wasn't that neutral in this edit, but I did better in the sustainable architecture thread. man thats an even bigger mess then this article.

Jul 3, 07 11:18 am  · 
 · 

Since tomorrow no one will be here, please comment on the edited Architecture description I posted above.

Jul 3, 07 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

Q- great work, we should start making the changes.

in response to my edits down at the bottom, we got this comment:

Thanks for your edit to Architecture. I just reduced it in size by turning the detailed and locally-specific information about the US Govt legislation (or whatever) into an inline reference. If you go back to the article, you can see how it was done.

When editting, could you read the whole section,(under heading and subheadings) to get a feel for the amount and type of detailed information that is included in the particular article, and make your contribution blend with what is there as well as possible.

In fact, because sustainability is such a major matter, it already had a paragraph further up, but i think that what you have added, finishes off the section appropriately.

--Amandajm 07:32, 3 July 2007 (UTC)

Writing for wikipedia does require a unique sense of neutrality and objectivity that I'm not used to channeling into my writing. So thanks for the suggestions and to Amandajm that made several required edits - its been edited to:

One significant development in the profession, is the mainstreaming of sustainability, following in the footsteps of 1970's icons Malcolm Wells, Pliny Fisk, and Ian McHarg. Sustainable Architecture growth is inline with a growing world-wide awareness of the risk of climate change, architects have started to integrate sustainable principals like daylighting, insulation of walls and roofs, energy efficiency, green roofs, and water reduction systems into their projects.

my biggest issue over on the sustainable architecture page is the reliance on LEED/USGBC as the source of what defines sustainability...

cool- just figured out how to create a new page. [[whatever subject needs a new page]] and then save page. then click on the new link (in red) and you get a page to create the new entry. see Pliny Fisk

Jul 3, 07 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

barry, what's going on with your Pliny Fisk page? There's all sorts of nonsense on there about "speedy deletion"....

We're really into the Wiki now aren't we?

Jul 3, 07 11:08 pm  · 
 · 

Can I suggest that we only make changes using the archinect account if at the very least we have posted the proposed changes to this or other threads? let's not forget that it is a communal account.

Barry, since we didn't get any other comments, do you want to make the changes to the introduction/description as per my 07/03/07 4:20 post?

Jul 4, 07 12:45 am  · 
 · 

I'll be happy take the archinect wiki project out of my improvised beta testing/newbie phase and post our official changes. (sorry ya'll for hijacking the account - but now we know a little more about making wiki entries).

Hmmm- there is no edit button available for the intro/summary. the first thing that 'archinect' can edit is the 'architecture history' section.

after reading the NYT article on wikipedians and the culture:

1. Wikipedia:What Wikipedia is not summarizes what Wikipedia is, and what it is not.
2. Wikipedia:Neutral point of view Wikipedia's core approach, neutral unbiased article writing.
3. Wikipedia:No original research what is, and is not, valid information.
4. Wikipedia:Verifiability what counts as a verifiable source and how a source can be verified.
5. Wikipedia:Citing sources sources should be cited, and the manner of doing so.

I'm now getting their vibe.

with a little more exploration, i've discovered the Wiki Architecture Portal

happy 4th!

Jul 4, 07 8:21 am  · 
 · 

The changes to the introduction/description I posted above are posted to the Architecture Wiki entry, please review them.

Jul 4, 07 10:36 am  · 
 · 

q-

in wikipedia, the intro section to most subjects isn't editable by us newbies - so we can't directly make those edits. I will post the suggested changes to the chat page for architecture and hope that a senior wikipedian will make the edits for us.

Jul 4, 07 11:42 am  · 
 · 

barry I already made the changes...

q

Jul 4, 07 11:42 am  · 
 · 

please review them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture

Jul 4, 07 11:46 am  · 
 · 

the only thing missing from the intro now is fleshing out the Architectural Program page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program

Jul 4, 07 11:50 am  · 
 · 

Please check the Architecture entry again as Amandajm (from the comments above) and I have been having a conversation back and forward. Amandajm is the person that most recently has been updating this page and she will most likely lend us her expertise as we go through this process.

The changes so far:

description

Architecture is the art and science of designing buildings and structures. A wider definition often includes the design of the total built environment: from the macrolevel of town planning, urban design, and landscape architecture to the microlevel of construction details and furniture. The term "Architecture" is also used for the profession of providing architectural services.

Architectural design involves the manipulation of mass, space, volume, texture, light, shadow, materials, program, and other elements in order to achieve an end which is aesthetic as well as functional. This distinguishes Architecture from the applied science of engineering which usually concentrates on the structural and feasibility aspects of design.

Architectural works are perceived as cultural and political symbols and works of art. Historical civilizations are often known primarily through their architectural achievements. Such buildings as the pyramids of Egypt and the Roman Colosseum are cultural symbols, and are an important link in public consciousness, even when scholars have discovered much about a past civilization through other means. Cities, regions and cultures continue to identify themselves with and are known by their architectural monuments.[1]

Amanda made some edits, and I made edits to her edits to reflect our discussion here in Archinect, so it looks different than the original and the one we worked on. For example, the etymology and other uses of the word are now their own section.

We can still make changes, what do you guys think?

Jul 5, 07 8:35 am  · 
 · 

But to keep on schedule, let's also start on the second section:

2 - The Architect
2.1- Education
2.2- Profession

What is currently there:

The Architect

Design for a gardener's cottage and engine house in the grounds of a castle. Ludwig Persius, Berlin, 1836.
Design for a gardener's cottage and engine house in the grounds of a castle. Ludwig Persius, Berlin, 1836.

Architecture as a profession is the practice of providing architectural services. The practice of architecture includes the planning, designing and oversight of a building's construction by an architect. Architectural services typically address both feasibility and cost for the builder, as well as function and aesthetics for the user.

In the 1440s, the Florentine architect, Alberti, wrote his di Re Aedificatoria, published in 1485, a year before the first edition of Vitruvius, with which he was already familiar.[3].[4] Alberti gives the earliest definition of the role of the architect. The architect is to be concerned firstly with the construction. This encompasses all the practical matters of site, of materials and their limitations and of human capabiliity. The second concern is "articulation"; the building must work and must please and suit the needs of those who use it. The third concern of the architect is aesthetics, both of proportion and of ornament.

The role of the architect, although constantly not evolving, has been central to the design and implementation of the environments in which people live. Architects must have the skills and knowledge to design, plan and oversee a diverse range of projects, from a small residence to a large stadium.

The work of an architect is an interdisciplinary field, drawing upon mathematics, science, art, technology, social sciences, politics and history, and often governed by the architect's personal approach or philosophy. Vitruvius, the earliest known architectural theorist, states: "Architecture is a science, arising out of many other sciences, and adorned with much and varied learning: by the help of which a judgement is formed of those works which are the result of other arts." He adds that an architect should be well versed in other fields of learning such as music and astronomy.

Jul 5, 07 8:41 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

3rd "real" paragraph, first sentence:

The role of the architect, although constantly not evolving, has been central to the design and implementation of the environments in which people live.

What? I'm pretty sure it is constantly evolving.

This paragraph needs the most work. I propose that this is where we make mention of architectural education. Also it is in a weird tense. Are there rules about tense? Let's try this:

The role of the architect is constantly evolving, and is central to the design and implementation of the environments in which people live. In order to obtain the skills and knowledge required to design, plan and oversee a diverse range of projects, architects must go through extensive schooling, coupled with a requisite amount of professional practice....

Thoughts?

Jul 5, 07 9:11 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

neutral tense - neither past nor future - very zen

I would move 'the role of the architect...' to be the last paragraph.

Jul 5, 07 10:50 am  · 
 · 

I agree with those changes WK and TK!

I think the education part will be the hardest to edit.

Some resources:
A euro-centric view:
http://www.archsoc.com/kcas/Historyed.html
list of U.S. schools:
http://www.archrecord.construction.com/features/EducationChart/EducationChart_AL.asp
overview:
http://www.archcareers.org/education.html
good history for the U.S. system:
https://www.acsa-arch.org/students/education.aspx

We need to synthesize this information and find a broader global perspective on the matter.

The Architect
Education: ...

Jul 5, 07 7:21 pm  · 
 · 

I've started dancing around the fringes and making pages for interesting related subjects or people that are worthy of broader fame. recent work includes treatment wetlands as an expansion of the practice of landscape architecture.

all the wikying is not helping move my research forward into carbon neutral landscapes, but its instant gratification.

Jul 5, 07 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

OK because I am busy with architecture camp I've not been following this thread but! I loooooooooove this idea. Fantastic that you guys are all taking it on, and when I get back to my real world life I will try to contribute. Carry on. Love, liberty bell.

Jul 6, 07 1:20 am  · 
 · 

*bump*

Jul 6, 07 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Good morning.

If everyone agrees with those changes, let's talk about the education portion. Are we starting fresh on this page?

Jul 7, 07 10:44 am  · 
 · 

Great idea. I just browsed this thread and had a silly idea--by the way, I loved the 3DH proposal. Try this on for size:

Just replace every entry with SUCKS!... a la "Architecture Sucks T-Shirt".

Seriously, is there going to be any effort to describe dissent among young architects / designers? I hope these entries don't glorify the profession too much.

http://www.amazon.com/Architect-Candid-Guide-Profession-Roger/dp/0262621215

Jul 7, 07 1:21 pm  · 
 · 

I completely agree that we should add realistic contemporary views (including negative ones) about the profession, but that is something that may better go on this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architect

The page on "Architecture" then would link to that page for more information.

Jul 7, 07 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

This is definitely not true.

"Architects must have the skills and knowledge to design, plan and oversee a diverse range of projects, from a small residence to a large stadium."

Jul 7, 07 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

how would you change it?

Jul 7, 07 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i am just responding as a reader not a contributor. however, i would argue that only a small percentage of architects have the knowledge and experience to oversee large projects.

Jul 7, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

.....which would then, in fact, validate that statement, would it not? That architects must have the skills and knowledge to perform such tasks? We're not in the business of arguing whether this is put into practice or not.

Jul 7, 07 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

*bump*

If we think the entry for "The Architect" is done, then we should put it to print. Does it need more work? (see the large block of bold text above)

Jul 9, 07 9:15 am  · 
 · 

if we are going to split this section into Education and Profession the current (bold block above) is too long.

Possible changes:

Architect
Architecture as a profession is the practice of providing architectural services. The practice of architecture includes the planning, designing and oversight of a building's construction by an architect. Architectural services typically address both feasibility and cost for the builder, as well as function and aesthetics for the user.

(Should we delete the italics)

---Education
(WE NEED TO FLESH THIS OUT)

---Profession (NEEDS TO BE EDITED)
In the 1440s, the Florentine architect, Alberti, wrote his di Re Aedificatoria, published in 1485, a year before the first edition of Vitruvius, with which he was already familiar.[3].[4] Alberti gives the earliest definition of the role of the architect. The architect is to be concerned firstly with the construction. This encompasses all the practical matters of site, of materials and their limitations and of human capabiliity. The second concern is "articulation"; the building must work and must please and suit the needs of those who use it. The third concern of the architect is aesthetics, both of proportion and of ornament.

The role of the architect, although constantly evolving, has been central to the design and implementation of the environments in which people live. Architects must have the skills and knowledge to design, plan and oversee a diverse range of projects, from a small residence to a large stadium.

The work of an architect is an interdisciplinary field, drawing upon mathematics, science, art, technology, social sciences, politics and history, and often governed by the architect's personal approach or philosophy. Vitruvius, the earliest known architectural theorist, states: "Architecture is a science, arising out of many other sciences, and adorned with much and varied learning: by the help of which a judgement is formed of those works which are the result of other arts." He adds that an architect should be well versed in other fields of learning such as music and astronomy.

Jul 9, 07 9:22 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

No, I don't think it does validate the argument. Some architects have the capacity to run large projects and some do not.

Jul 9, 07 9:28 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Well, given that I suggested actually changing that sentence (07/05/07 6:11), I'm going to move on to being productive on the rest of the entry.

~~~~~

Quilian, I am fine with the sentence in italics as I cannot come up with something better to put in its place.

*Regarding education, I find myself explaining this to a lot of kids so I would be happy to take a stab at it, but my knowledge is limited to the American education experience only.

**The professional section is still a little weird. I think it's strange how the second paragraph just leaps into the 1440's.

Jul 9, 07 9:42 am  · 
 · 

Thanks for taking on education WK!

I agree that the professional section is still weird, will take a look at it tonight to see how it can be changed. Archinect, any thoughts on it?

Jul 11, 07 1:21 pm  · 
 · 

I just got a message from some of the regular editors over at wikipedia. They like what we are doing a lot. Now that we have taken a bit a small break maybe we can get this going again. So we were in Architect/Education, WK an update?

Jul 25, 07 9:13 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

Wow, you made it purple!

Q, it's possible that I may have bitten off more than I can chew. (I have a habit of doing this and I apologize) However I want this entry to work so I am going to revisit the issue and I'll be back. Please be patient*

*for an explanation of why, please visit Existential Crisis thread.

PS. I'm glad Wikipedia noticed us. Kinda cool.

Jul 25, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

OK, so I took the liberty of editing the post per the changes that we agreed to above. The third paragraph under "The Architect" now reads like this:

The role of the architect is constantly evolving, and is central to the design and implementation of the environments in which people live. In order to obtain the skills and knowledge required to design, plan and oversee a diverse range of projects, architects must go through extensive formal education, coupled with a requisite amount of professional practice.

My intentions in editing this paragraph were to give us the links to the education page and the professional practice page in the last sentence.

Also, upon further review, I think that the education page should just be a quick blurb and a portal to the B.Arch page and the M.Arch page, for the American system anyway. If everyone thinks this is OK, I can try to start this education page.

Please, any comments are welcome and helpful. I cannot work in a vacuum.

Jul 25, 07 3:41 pm  · 
 · 

I agree with you WK, it should be short and just an introduction to the more specific pages.

Still including the small intro is integral to have a full picture of what an 'Architect' is.

Jul 25, 07 3:49 pm  · 
 · 

I also agree.

The following are things I've noticed and/or have problems with specifically stemming from/related to the B.Arch page:

****We need to get the "Vocational University" link the heck off of the "See also" page, and instead put links into the other architecture and archi-education pages

*The B.Arch page is really more suited to being an educational overview. It actually talks very little about the B.Arch, and in some places (such as the USA section), actually devotes more page space to talking about the M.Arch path. There should only be cursory mention of the M.Arch in comparative context on the B.Arch page, and visa versa.

*I would like to see some mention of the particular difficulties of transferring into/out of a B.Arch program

On the whole, the M.Arch page is much better written, and I suspect that someone that is extremely biased towards the M.Arch wrote both pages.

Should we discuss things such as portfolio submission and/or rankings in these pages?

Jul 25, 07 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

i dont know if you guys discussed this already or not..but... i think it's strange that frank gehry is not mentioned in wikipedia under 'architecture'. love him or hate him, he is the face of architecture today. it's like searching wikipedia under 'art' and not reading about picasso. i know i'll get a lot of flack for this, but gehry's work is so ubiquitous and well-known that it would be a shame to leave him out.

Jul 25, 07 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

oddly enough Jimmie Wales dropped by the AFH offices this week (he was here to see our neighbor Dean Ornish). Had I known about this thread I would have showed it to him.

dagnabbit.

Jul 25, 07 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

scored a 92 with an 800m walk to work...

Jul 26, 07 1:07 am  · 
 · 

i agree about gehry, mr bojangles, but the projects that ARE shown are pretty good examples too.

Jul 26, 07 7:20 am  · 
 · 

The other i was talking to JJourden and he mentioned that we should use an editable google document to edit the entries. How do you guys feel about that, it would allow us all to edit the same document and when we are happy with a section we can then uploaded it to wikipedia.

What do you guys think? I can start it and everyone interested can email me their preferred email so they can edit it.

Jul 26, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: