Archinect
anchor

logs / blogs

aml

i've been browsing through the tokyo log, and it occured to me that given the big range of archinecters locations, maybe this should become an ongoing feature, switching every week or month to a different person with a different location.

true, it's nothing like traveling oneself, but how many of us can afford it? i would be nice for different people to post images on their environment, not necessarily of a trip, but also of their daily surroundings [related in a way to the work space images]...of course you would have to be careful that they don't end up being pictures of cute pets or the like.

i don't know if you [archinect] were thinking of making it an ongoing thing or not... just food for thought

Aug 12, 04 4:04 pm
A

Hmm, I'll second that motion.

Aug 12, 04 4:13 pm  · 
 · 

i think it's an excellent idea... the hard part is finding the people who are interested, motivated, and have a unique perspective to share.

if anyone out there would like to volunteer to do something similar, post here or email me.

Aug 12, 04 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
ovalle

This is a travel log of someone I have been keeping up with over the past year... it is not specifically related to architecture, but nevertheless very inspiring. Here is a passage from her explanation of her travels:

http://www.solbeam.com/

"THIS is a live travel journal documenting the international pursuit of a Personal Legend.

A "personal legend" is a term coined by Paulo Coelho in one of my favorite fables "The Alchemist."

"...whoever you are, whatever it is that you do, when you really want something, it's because that desire originated in the soul of the universe. It's your mission on earth. To realize one's Personal Legend is a person's only real obligation." -- "The Alchemist", Paulo Coelho

Of course, I don't feel as if I KNOW anything, let alone my "mission" on earth. But what I do FEEL -- is that I must move. Pursue. As for WHAT I am pursuing, I haven't any concrete idea. Nor am I really all that interested in what prize my hunt may capture. It’s the “pursuit” itself that has thus far enticed me into the last three years of unforgettable adventure through 30 countries and six continents. It’s the pursuit itself that ignited my passions for volunteer work, salsa dancing, spanish, scuba diving, and photography. It’s the “pursuit” that has taught me the lessons on life that I searched for, but never found, in my textbooks at university. It’s the “pursuit” that has humbled me both as an American and as a human being. It's the “pursuit” that gave me a new overwhelming respect and understanding for the intelligence of nature. It's the “pursuit” itself that ignited something in my soul, sparked my spiritual quest, and set fire to both my heart and heel.

Aug 12, 04 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
aml

i could be a maybe if we sort of lower our standards a bit from the solbeam site... meaning this would not be a life long spiritual search but only some amusing/interesting pictures from a remote location.

weird though because i'm in ecuador, which is where the solbeam girl is posting from right now. odd.

Aug 12, 04 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

aml - email me if you want to do this. it's important that you are able to regularly take photos and upload them to your posts.

Aug 12, 04 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
Amandine

speaking of blogs, any essential arch/art blog links that should be publicized?

Aug 12, 04 5:39 pm  · 
 · 

Amandine - yes, lots. Check Archinect > Links > Opinions/Blogs

Aug 12, 04 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
Amandine

should have guessed... ooops

Aug 12, 04 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

Paul is watching you...

Aug 12, 04 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
aml

...you can hear paul sigh yet again.... no one looks at my beautiful links!!!

maybe i should ask if anyone knows a good place for architecture firms links. that might drive him over the edge [insert evil laughter here]

Aug 12, 04 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
A

I might just start using that digital camera I've got for something like this. Right now I'm off to meet with some clients and tell them what I've 'stripped' out of their building so it might make budget. How about some photos of the client with me in a choker hold?

Aug 12, 04 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
Kalle

Perhaps a rating system for the blogs/personal sites? It would be great to have a clue which ones are worth visiting.

rate me: www.artofinhabitation.com 1 2 3 4 5

Aug 12, 04 6:02 pm  · 
 · 

"How about some photos of the client with me in a choker hold?"

that would definitely get approved as an image gallery submission

Aug 12, 04 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
Tectonic

excellent idea!

Aug 12, 04 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
oregon

I have a question about the tokyolog. Is it going to comment on those things set out in the proposal of research any time soon? All i've seen so far is one KDA interior, and Yohji Yamamoto's showroom. Perhaps its purpose is to show us that ramen from japan (the country that invented ramen) is awesome, shinjuku has bright lights and lots of people (we've all seen lost in translation), and there are vending machines everywhere (there's like 20 pictures of vending machines in the image gallery). If thats the case, i'm completely cool with it, just curious thats all.

Aug 13, 04 6:08 am  · 
 · 
Amandine

dem fightin' words...?

Aug 13, 04 6:27 am  · 
 · 
oregon

No - i reread my post and realized that like many it has come across as being cynical. I'm honestly interested in the topic at hand and would like to see/learn more about it.

Aug 13, 04 6:32 am  · 
 · 
anatomical gift

perhaps you would like your own Tokyo blog?

Aug 13, 04 8:37 am  · 
 · 
oregon

no thanks

Aug 13, 04 8:41 am  · 
 · 

oregon - the tokyo log is blog, not the medium in which israel will present the results of his research. while his documentation will, no doubt, produce some valuable insight into his research including interviews with some of the more exciting tokyo-based design practices, the main goal of the tokyo log is to follow israel, an architect/student/archinect editor, in real time while he explores a rich culture foreign to most of Archinect's readers.

Aug 13, 04 10:25 am  · 
 · 
oregon

Will we be able to see those findings? And my apologies for being an asshole as usual.

Aug 13, 04 10:44 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: