Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

ripomatic

lingering paranoia...

did i send the right packages to the right schools?

Dec 28, 07 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

i didnt send my stuff out yet.. i hope it gets there on time.. after the 4th im not going to be in the country again until the 15th.. HAH

Dec 29, 07 12:13 am  · 
 · 
nnoraa

fedex is pretty safe,r ight? but there is always that chance that some retard will eff it all up.. like.. a 50% chance, correct?

Dec 29, 07 12:14 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

50%? Haha, just make sure you have your tracking #.

Dec 29, 07 12:23 am  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Yeah you should be fine with FedEx (I worked there a couple of months, years ago), in terms of not losing packages, they're probably the best because their system is much more automated than USPS or UPS.

Two things to think about though for you folks shipping in the next couple days:

FedEx doesn't deliver to P.O. boxes so make sure you're sending them to legitimate addresses.

The other thing is you guys are probably going to be better off sending them in boxes instead of a padded envelope (we used those to fill gaps in walls of boxes and they get pretty banged around occasionally). I wouldn't worry about it if you've already mailed in an enveloped but just to be sure.

MSarch: UK system goes as follows: three years of undergrad in arch followed by one year out of school working in an intern type role, this gives you RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects) part 1 exemption which is what you need to receive a bachelors degree and then get into a diploma program (two more years). The dip. will get you RIBA part 2 exemption which is what you need to begin an M.Arch (one year). I'm assuming you have a bachelors degree which means you can apply to a diploma program although I believe typically a diploma program, especially the AA, will really only accept candidates with arch experience, which means you might have to start with another bachelors degree entirely. This is all off the top of my sleep deprived head though so you might want to send an email across the pond to be sure.

Dec 29, 07 1:49 am  · 
 · 
nnoraa

So... would you suggest FedEx or going to the post office? I heard the post office is a lot cheaper for overnight delivery.. but is it reliable?

Dec 30, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Personally, when I'm shipping within or neighboring state, I use USPS because it's generally faster. Unless it has changed, ALL fedex express packages (not ground) go to their primary distribution center in Tennessee, which stops me from sending overnight deliveries within the state.

Dec 30, 07 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

oh, i had no idea. that is so backwards. thanks!

Dec 30, 07 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Yeah afr is right about the central hub. Realistically it probably doesn't matter much, overnight is overnight regardless of whom you go with (usually). Just package everything up nicely, get a tracking number and ask for a signature upon delivery and you'll be fine.

Dec 30, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

oh my god they are gone.

well, 3 of them anyway.

I'd use UPS for sure, esp. if it's crossing the US/canada border...

Jan 2, 08 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

half are done for me (princeton/harvard), two more (uva/yale) to go. last minute though, didnt realize uva had TWO essay requirements. oh well, looks like tonight I will be back in undergrad writing an architecture essay.

Jan 2, 08 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

one gone last week and one gone today! two more before february 1st! you know, this part is almost preferrable to the whole waiting thing. i've never had whole months go by so slow!

maybe this year will be better.

Jan 2, 08 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

I would prefer not have to wait 2-3 months for the responses.

Jan 2, 08 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

yeah this is going to be brutal. is there any chance they might notify earlier. perhaps early march-ish?

Jan 2, 08 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

hahahahaha. yeah right. my first notification was early april. the last one was the end of april after that so called april 15thish deadline.

it was AWESOME (sarcasm)

Jan 2, 08 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

ooouch. What were the deadlines on the schools you applied to? The four I applied to seem to be much earlier than most, that must have something to do with it.

Jan 2, 08 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

plus they claaaim that we'll be notified by late march (again, the schools im applying to)

Jan 2, 08 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

last year I started getting mine mid-late march and as late as early April. Deadlines included Dec 15th, Jan 15th and Feb 2nd.

Jan 2, 08 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

hmmm, guess I should brace for an agonizing 3-4 months.

Jan 2, 08 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

yeah, i've noticed that the deadlines really didn't seem to matter when they got notified.

i noticed i had mailed something to the wrong address last year so i contacted the school in early march. they still had not started looking at it. in fact they didn't have my transcipts (which in reality they did... just misplaced them). i freaked out, but the person i talked to said they weren't going to even be looking at them for another couple weeks.

this year, some are beg of jan, the other two feb 1st.

Jan 2, 08 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
jehappel

Hey folks,

I'm late to the game here, having just inquired 2 weeks ago about an M.Arch 3.5 year program at UW-Milwaukee. I'm now scrambling to apply for summer admission by Jan. 15. I have a BA in Architectural History from Wisconsin, spent 2 years as a preservation consultant, and am finishing my thesis towards an MS in Urban Studies. It just hit me like a ton of bricks that I wanted to do this and now I'm freaked out. I have no problems with my background and reasons statement, recommendations, etc., and have 3 undergrad semesters of arch school under my belt at Tulane University ('97-'99). My biggest issue is what the hell to put in a portfolio, other than written work, some construction drawings from 10 years ago, and a National Register nomination or two. Any thoughts on how heavily a portfolio is weighed for a non-arch undergrad when applying to M.Arch?

Jan 2, 08 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

I think, regardless of undergrad, that portfolio is the number one priority. With that said, they wont be expecting much architecturally from your portfolio, just a basic understanding of elementary things...composition, proportion, spatial conception, etc.

Jan 2, 08 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
jehappel

Thanks - I guess my biggest worry is that although I understand all of those things I have nothing visual to show for it other than a little amateur photography....but, I explain architectural concepts well in my academic writing, so maybe I'll fare OK.

Jan 2, 08 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

They just look for promise, and they can see that with very little to go on, im sure. Keep in mind that they spend 10 min top looking at your portfolio, so as long as you appear competent things like good photography should showcase your artistic/creative side. The writing is a huge plus, it is a promising sign that you at least understand, conceptually, what you're doing.

Jan 2, 08 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

It seems like on such short notice (or maybe anytime for that matter) your best approach would be to treat your material really simply and honestly. Don't get tempted into thinking you don't have enough and filling your portfolio with material that's not your best, or trying to pull graphic tricks etc. Choose your best photographs, lay them out simply but with consideration for things like progression and relationships between your different pieces, and keep it concise. Just buckle down and make it simple and beautiful. I think especially for non-arch majors the schools are looking less at the depth of your work and more for your ability to communicate graphically, while the material still matters it's so intertwined with its composition that a considered layout can go a long ways.

Also, if you search I’ll bet there are plenty of portfolios from the last few years floating around on the discussion boards; these can give you a few ideas. Good luck.

Jan 2, 08 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

"Don't get tempted into thinking you don't have enough and filling your portfolio with material that's not your best, or trying to pull graphic tricks etc."

Maybe you could put a "Honda" Sticker on your portfolio...I hear that makes it 5 mph faster. Har Har Har

Jan 2, 08 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

I hear a lot of committees like to see things like soaring bald eagles airbrushed onto the cover; it can help communicate the great heights you’ll be capable of if they select you.

Jan 2, 08 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
jehappel

I think I'll just send it all in on that new iTouch I've been hearing so much about.

Jan 2, 08 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

As long as its in the foreground of a mexican flag

Jan 2, 08 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
jehappel

Or a picture of an olympic sprinter, prefaced with the assertion that if accepted, I'll be ready to "hit the ground running" so to speak.

In all honesty, thanks for the respones.

Jan 2, 08 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

I made one for princeton with the picture of a train that says "I choo choo choose you"

Jan 2, 08 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Hey no kidding J, i knew a guy a few years ahead of me in undergrad who opted to send his portfolio in on an outdated palm-pilot type thing, set up to run his work in powerpoint. Didn't work out so well for him if i recall.

Jan 2, 08 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

hahaha, might was well send a laserdisc

Jan 2, 08 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
jehappel

That palm pilot story is priceless. I think I'll send a leisure suit-clad Ben Affleck to represent me in a personal interview. Hate the actor, LOVE the scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hWIr9_noRo

Jan 2, 08 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

I know it's cruel of me but in the past few months during all of this stress I've thought to myself more than a few times "at least it's not on a palm pilot."

Jan 2, 08 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

Yeah I just wish there were interviews..in suavest voice:"Hey lady interviewer..come here often?"

Jan 2, 08 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

palm pilot idea is cool and all, but nothing would be better than those 3d holographic projection things from starwars

Jan 2, 08 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

-especially delivered by a sassy robot.

Jan 2, 08 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

hey asbuckeye07.. i know this is a delayed response to your UVA post.. but um, i'm in the same boat. two essays? i swear that was NOT there when i first looked on their website back in sept.

Have to say - that made me laugh on NYE's when I went to go drop off my apps at the post office. I'm thinking about dropping UVA.. not to be lazy, but i've had enough. i applied to 6 schools. 4 of which i REALLY want to go to. and the thought of actually getting up and moving to VA isn't really enticing. lol

Also, the topic choice is lame.

ALRIGHT lets party! all done!

Jan 2, 08 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

Nor, yeah im considering dropping it too. Pretty much everything you said is how im feeling about it right now: its my last one, its number 4 on a list of 4 schools, and a 250 page essay on a significant piece of architecture? What is that about? Am I taking a high school aptitude test or applying to a graduate program?

However, I did spend $70 on a portfolio to them, and I technically have instate residency in VA. What to do What to do.

Jan 2, 08 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I was going to do a last minute "re-do" of my GRE scheduled for tomorrow.

First time i got 470 v and 650 Q

Now I wondering if I'll even improve on it, since I barely studied...

What would you guys do?

Take it or skip it and work on my apps.

Jan 2, 08 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

Id say application. First, that score's not that bad. Second, gre is the lowest priority piece arch schools consider.

Jan 2, 08 11:36 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Well I don't have a ton of knowledge about UVA's arch. program but I’d imagine you guys saw something compelling in the program to begin with? If that's the case I'd say keep pushing and just write the essay. 250 words shouldn't be too much trouble and certainly isn't something that should jeopardize even a secondary school choice, you guys put so much work into all of this, months and months of portfolios and essays. Put off partying a night and write an essay and who knows, it might make a huge difference come March. Anyways hang in there everyone, almost finished.

Jan 3, 08 12:39 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

thanks
asbuckeye07

Jan 3, 08 1:43 am  · 
 · 
xacto

250 words is literally less than half a page single-spaced

Jan 3, 08 1:47 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

Its not the limit im worried about, actually keeping it under 250 words is the tough part. Its just the nature of the prompt, seems pedestrian for a master of arch program.

Jan 3, 08 6:58 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

I just learned that Berkeley has received over 670 applications this year. I hope that's the total for both undergrad and grad applications. Will post if and when I get a response from the department.

Jan 3, 08 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

That sounds like just graduate numbers. Dont worry im sure at least 300 have to wear a helmet when they go outside.

just sent off yale today, phew...anyone realize how hard it is to find a postcard? (and im in DC!).

One more to go.

Jan 3, 08 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Just recieved email - 670 M.Arch applicants.

Jan 3, 08 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Just recieved email - 670 M.Arch applicants.

Jan 3, 08 5:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: