Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

toasteroven

afrdzak - nice portfolio - even if it is a draft.

I thought Berkeley's portfolio was an interesting design problem - but I would have preferred to do one similar portfolio for all schools, not one for Berkeley and one for everyone else. If Berkeley were my first choice, I would have enjoyed the process more, but I started to resent this portfolio for taking up more time than I wanted it to.

-to

Dec 18, 07 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

so how was berkeley's different? I didnt apply there, is it just the staple thing? I would say f it and send my standard one; that would be a bit ridiculous.

Dec 18, 07 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Berkeley - 12 pages - clipped.

Basically, it has to stand up with the pages out of order - the other portfolios you can play with progression and spreads...

Dec 18, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

"stand up with pages out of order"

if that's the case, then I'm almost screwed. But I did also send them a binded version.

Dec 18, 07 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

oooooh, thats a pretty interesting idea. But would be a HUGE pain in the ass.

Dec 18, 07 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

it was a pain - I wasn't exactly happy with it, but at least I attempted to address the design problem.

that's why I've been all pissy about Berkeley's process... I am happy with my other portfolio... but some of the progression tricks I was using just didn't work in Berkeley's format. I wanted to do some color-coordination thing with my project groupings, but I ran out of time. plus I had to leave out some really nice images in order to make it work.

that nice big sexy image across a two-page spread became one page and less effective, and I had to make a choice with others - shrink or delete. I understand what they were trying to do, but it became too much work in addition to the other applications.

-to

Dec 18, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

actually, the more I think about it, the more I really want to do their portfolio again... so many possibilities... damn you Berkeley! ;-)

-to

Dec 18, 07 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

In attempt to make myself feel better, Berkeley only recommended to have it stapled in one corner. I have actually gone and seen their accepted portfolios bin and saw a couple of full-spread, binded portfolios in that bin.

I honestly thought it was a attempt to standardize the received portfolios, so they can make the review process more efficient (and so that some people don't go overboard).

Dec 18, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

"that nice big sexy image across a two-page spread became one page and less effective, and I had to make a choice with others - shrink or delete."

I dont find two-page spread, under any circumstance, "effective"...unless you're Asymptote. JMO

Dec 18, 07 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

it was a centerfold... I had a glamor shot done and it just didn't seem right on a single page.

-to

Dec 18, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Did anyone else notice that Berkeley's CED is searching for a new Dean?

Dec 18, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

no one under any circumstance should really listen to what I have to say. I am a kitchen appliance, after all. I'm just here to burn toast.

-to

Dec 18, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

haha, did you get it done at the mall?

Dec 18, 07 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

no - I found the place on craigs list... although, I think I'm now on a russian pay-site under the name "anastasia."

Dec 18, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

sweet, how much?

Dec 18, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

YOUR anastasia...I was misled

Dec 18, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

hmmm... I guess I did go overboard with Berkeley's portfolio. If anything I'll at least get a date out of it.

-to

Dec 18, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
absolutalden

how much did your porfolios cost (per port) after paper, printing, and binding? mine was like $21-22

Dec 18, 07 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

sweeet portfolio afr! i really like the layout and the portfolios overall design.. your work is really good as well.

Dec 18, 07 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
Workshop B

you could have bound berkeleys portfolio with a spiral binding up to 1/2" in diameter. It sounds like you all spend a bunch of time creating a portfolio layout that you didnt need....

Dec 19, 07 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
EarlyPM

"stands up with pages out of order"? I originally assumed UCB wanted staples so they could spread the work out on a table and a committee could look at it at once, but when I read that they actually do accept small spiral binds, I concluded that they just wanted to avoid mountains of sliding portfolios and over-the-top bindings. Who knows.

Oh, the speculating it gets exhausting.

Dec 19, 07 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

Maybe they wanted to rip pages out to make paper hats.

Dec 19, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Genius! Maybe one of us can call and ask.

Dec 19, 07 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

yeah, we'd better not interrupt playtime, they might get cranky

Dec 19, 07 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

binding my portfolios tonight! all that's left is the damn statement of intent. i don't know why i'm having such difficulty with it......blah

Dec 19, 07 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

Well...was about to send off princeton and harvard portfolios, and while reading harvard's portfolio instructions (which of course I didnt read before because I know what a portfolio is) it says I need all this information on the cover. I have everything somewhere else so I say F-it, but I dont have the name of my undergraduate school. Right now Im rationalizing NOT doing anything about it and sending as is...good idea? Why in the world would the name of your undergraduate in a portfolio (while its on EVERYOTHER piece of my application) be relevant? I guess if they dont accept me based on that, id rather not go to a place like that.

Dec 21, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

I did 2 all-nighters in a row, and I absolutely stink, but I think the portfolio is 95% done.

The thing is...being so nervous about having screwed anything up, or continually re-formatting to make sure every detail that annoys me gets ironed out, pretty much means it's ALWAYS going to be 95% because small issues (most are imaginary) just keep popping up.

Getting this thing out of my hands is going to hyper-activate all of my neuroses.

Early april is a long time away.

Dec 21, 07 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
tman

ripomatic...your portfolio is done...i felt the same way and just said, "fuck it...print it." We are all perfectionists, but realize that that 5% that you are talking about, probably wont matter in the end. My guess is that everything is fine. Print it, and move on...

Dec 21, 07 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

we're not perfectionists, we're anal.

Dec 21, 07 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
bUbBLe

isn't some school start notifying mid- March and mostly at the end of March?

Dec 21, 07 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

some

Dec 21, 07 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
absolutalden

buckeye-

i did the same thing with harvard, but i called them the day i was sending my portfolio and they explained that the info isn't for the reviewers, it's for the office staff that organizes all the incoming mail. so, i just put a post-it on mine with the additional info, which the woman on the phone said was perfectly fine

Dec 21, 07 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

oh wow, dodged a bullet there then...thanks so much for that absolut

Now I only have to deal with the "high end" printing company that has screwed up my second batch of portfolios. Even though they bill themselves as high end they still somehow have that "I dont give a shit about my job", kinkos attitude.

Dec 21, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

ok ok. NOW it's done...sort of. I just have to print it out

Definitely sending this thing out tomorrow.

now to finish my letters of intent.

and harass my recommenders.

and fill out my applications.

thank god I'm a jew,

otherwise this

would really

screw up

xmas

for

me

Dec 23, 07 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

ripo, ahahahaha...

holidays + these damn apps are stressing me out.. almost over tho, wooh!

hope everyone has a wonderful holiday and a very happy new year !!

Dec 23, 07 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
Underground

why is columbia saying they do not have my scholarship application when I included it in the packet! sorry... just venting, i will be sending them another copy

Dec 26, 07 12:16 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Hi fellas

I took GRE test the first time in my life last Friday, without any practice before and a huge hang over (X-mas dinner).

The result ... $@##¢@#

I got in Verbal 440 and quantitative 670, ... I couldn't practice cause I was busy during the last year. I hope GRE doesn't matter too much to the comites... But I guess, in universities as Columbia and Cornell GRE ,even being an international applicant, plays an important role.

Best Regards, Good Luck, Merry XMas and Happy new year!

Dec 26, 07 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

Im pretty sure the GRE is used only as a redflag device...meaning they will only factor it in if you bombed it. which you didnt, you did about average, so you'll be fine.

Dec 26, 07 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

If you're int'l, don't you need to take the TOEFL?

Dec 26, 07 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

afrdzak yes.

I will take it in january. I couldn't schedule it in a date before. In the admission offices of the schools I am applying told me that is fine.

Actually. Already I have GRE, Recommendations, 85% portfolio ... I hope to be able to send all due 15 jan.

You guys posted before some of your statement of purpose? May be it is an stupid question but... I am a little bit lost in what to write down in this document.

I have written something almost surrealistic-paranoid, but I don't know if it will work as I think...

Dec 26, 07 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

A statement of purpose is relatively straight forward. Check out this website. It was a good starting point for me:

http://career.berkeley.edu/Grad/GradStatement.stm

I'm sure surrealistic-paranoid will be a refreshing read for the admissions committee, but just try to keep it positive.

Dec 26, 07 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

anyone filling out UVa's application form?

they supply directions for figuring out undergrad GPA on a 4.0 scale...which my school was already on...but when I calculate them using UVas methodology I get different numbers....

Should I just go by my undergrad transcript?

Dec 26, 07 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
AP

"thank god i'm a jew..."

hahahahahahaha...hilarious.

wait...what am i doing here? i'm not an 08 MArch applicant...

best of luck wrapping this thing up everyone!

Dec 27, 07 12:14 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

rip, I think the gpa calc was for people who went to a school not on a 4.0 scale, so it's irrelevant.

Dec 27, 07 6:11 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

ahhhhhhh........ did anyone see that post about cincinnati applications being changed to jan 1st? you've got to be kidding me. i f'ing just figured this out.

you know, when the hell did they update this? why aren't dates changed on all of the website? this is absolutely ridiculous.

Dec 27, 07 8:17 am  · 
 · 
nnoraa

they can't do that.. that is ridiculous...

i think that would just about piss me off so much that i wouldn't even continue to apply there.

Dec 28, 07 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

if i was applying there, that is..

haha

Dec 28, 07 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

ybth, are you planning to retake the GREs? You may still have time to sign up again. I just know that Columbia has a 450 cut-off point for the verbal section. maybe you can call them and ask.

Dec 28, 07 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
mgs

Anyone applying to AA from the U.S. with a non-architecture background want to explain to me what the hell we're supposed to do? :)

This whole diploma school, 5 year, etc. etc. has me confused.

Dec 28, 07 10:36 pm  · 
 · 
mgs

Also, anyone know if princeton can be dropped off in person? I have a bad feeling about this printing perfectly tomorrow and overnighting ... :\

Dec 28, 07 10:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: