Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

d-train

Got into USC plus 18 G's! d-train gonna buy a new pair of shoes!

Apr 2, 08 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
Brendan

druvius - does your online app status for toronto say that a decision was made?

mine still says under review.

Apr 2, 08 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

mrbren: still under review... but I live in Toronto, so I probably represent the earliest batch of notifications.

Apr 2, 08 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

'under review' as well. I'm not expecting to get in though. I'm an international with a GPA below 3.0. Literally only the top few % get over a 3.0 GPA where I'm from, but UofT weren't prepared to recognise that.

Was pretty stupid of me to apply there given their RIP OFF application fee.

Apr 2, 08 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

chopsky, you may be pleasantly surprised. I know that the faculty really stresses diversity and likes to enroll internationals. With regards to your GPA: Were you an arch background or non-arch? GPA is more important for non-archs. For us arch-background ppl the portfolio will probably make or break us. So don't lose hope!

Apr 2, 08 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

non-arch :-/

Apr 2, 08 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

dang... good port?

Apr 2, 08 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

In comparison to what? I have no idea what the average port is like.
If it makes any difference, I love my work, but who doesn't?

Apr 2, 08 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
rob(E)

nia-

Just an FYI, the faculty member at my undergrad school that basically is the shit, taught me all i know will be at berkely next year....no bias...go to berkely

Apr 3, 08 12:18 am  · 
 · 
Confections

la_la: you probably will get an acceptance letter then! good on you

i've never heard of thank you notes though

Apr 3, 08 1:52 am  · 
 · 
billibneen

rob(E):

who is this professor? from where?

Apr 3, 08 4:26 am  · 
 · 
Riedell101

finally heard from GT.....too bad it was just for them to tell me i'm waitlisted. so here's my final round up:

rejected:
University of Maryland
University of Illinois at Chicago

waitlisted:
Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech

accepted:
not a damn school!

i was really hoping that i wouldn't be a part of the 2009 thread, but that's a huge possibility at this point......

Apr 3, 08 8:52 am  · 
 · 
ryhane

Riedell101, did you check online, get a letter, a phone call, or an e-mail about being wait listed? I am still waiting and I live in Atlanta, like 2 miles from GT.

Apr 3, 08 9:33 am  · 
 · 
Fraggle

Riedell101 I would contact GT namely Ellen to let them know you are still REALLY interested in attending...It works wonders....trust me

Apr 3, 08 9:40 am  · 
 · 
Riedell101

I received a letter yesterday, I'm only 20 miles away from GT. My online status still says, no decision has been made.

I was planning to call to at least see if I could find out where I am on the waitlist. The letter says to call Beverly, but I'll try calling Ellen as well. Good Luck ryhane! and thanks Fraggle!

Apr 3, 08 10:22 am  · 
 · 
Riedell101

no ranking on the waitlist...... and they wouldn't let me speak to Ellen...... actually didn't even get past Beverly's assistant......

Apr 3, 08 10:27 am  · 
 · 
la_la

thanks Confections... I hope I get some good news! it's a little bleak:

UT-Austin - Rejected
MIT - Rejected
Oregon [Portland Program - Option II] - Accepted
SCI-arc - ???

I'm not so sure about Oregon... 2 years sounds nice and it's so cheap! I went to state school for B.ENVD and envisioned something a bit more "highfalutin" for grad school... any opinions on Oregon?

Apr 3, 08 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Confections

My hopes for SCI Arc are trench low..

If I get accepted, they must be so brilliant, to see my "hidden power"

Apr 3, 08 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
nariman

how are you guys paying for your education? i'm looking at a negative $150,000 when i'm out. is this something that we just have to get over and believe that we can pay it back with our jobs?

Apr 3, 08 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

nariman, my total tuition at UMich is going to be about 200k after my 3.5 years is done. But, this is without any scholarships, future grants, GA/TA positions, etc. For example, if you take a GA position, you get up to 71% of the tuition paid for. You, and everyone else, need to look at all these financial aid opportunities.

Apr 3, 08 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
tkoshow

150k+ sounds about right. and the real eye opener is 50k salary as an intern architect or architect I... turn back now, apply to medical school.

Apr 3, 08 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

that is absolutely rediculous.. 200k for an in-state college? how is that possible?

Apr 3, 08 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

55k/year for non-resident (like me) plus about 12k for summer

Apr 3, 08 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

that includes room and board.

Apr 3, 08 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

non-residents have to pay around 30k? seems a bit unreasonable considering the fact that their biggest draw is lower tuition.

Apr 3, 08 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
la_la

I'm using loans and hopefully can get work-study or TA ship - I hear the first year is the most expensive at some schools and then there are more opps. for $$ starting second year....

i made a sticker price spreadsheet and it scared the bejesus out of me for an entire weekend - so much money. Sticker price spreadsheet told me SCI-arc is exactly 2X as expensive as Oregon... but the degree may be worth somewhere near twice as much?

[medical school is gross! the $ isn't worth it, I get dizzy thinking about blood]

Apr 3, 08 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Hopefully you won't still be "out of state" 3 years into the program...

Apr 3, 08 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Hah, here's another reason to complain about UMich. I spoke with UMich and they said that they're the only school in Michigan that don't allow for status change from out-of-state to in-state. The difference is about 10k/year. But they give many opportunities in scholarships and GA positions to cover tuition and expenses.

Apr 3, 08 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
la_la

what an inane policy! they might be the only school in the country that doesn't allow that...

Apr 3, 08 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

it might actually be worth marrying someone from michigan to save that 35k

Apr 3, 08 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

i couldn't help but look. umich is 33K a year, holy crap. that's the same as a private school. you might want to challenge their status-change policy. something just doesn't add up there.

Apr 3, 08 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

hahahah... pfft. who wants to deal with getting married when you're in grad school... your 1) POOR 2)too busy

Apr 3, 08 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

yeah, i'm not too surprised they won't give new residents in-state tuition. it's a crummy policy, but it's also based on the understanding that graduate students aren't too likely to stick around ann arbor after graduating to contribute tax dollars back into the state ed system. i know texas and virginia are also notoriously difficult states in which to gain residency as a student.

Apr 3, 08 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
bUbBLe

when's the open house at UCLA?

Apr 3, 08 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
wittyusername

its coming up this sunday and monday (UCLA open house)

Apr 3, 08 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

UMich is known to be one of the, if not THE, most expensive state school. But, the tuition you pay, in some ways, comes back to you in the form of nice facilities, free usage of the machinery... free food...grants for international studios...

Some private schools are much higher in tuition. RISD comes to mind.

Either way, I will try to challenge it while I'm there.

Apr 3, 08 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
yyz

free food?

Apr 3, 08 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
dietc0ke

RISD is not much higher than 33k (i think RISD's like 35k)...anyway you shake it...UMich is expensive for a state school

Apr 3, 08 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

yeah, someone I spoke with regarding the program said something about free food in the studios.

Apr 3, 08 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
bUbBLe

how about Rice's open house then?

Apr 3, 08 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
Brendan

rejected from rice today. come on toronto!

Apr 3, 08 5:57 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

this thread is slowly dying...

Apr 3, 08 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Almost ... I guess in a while somebody will have to open the 2009 one.

But SCI-Arc doesn't send anything yet .... WTH! Can't wait!!!!!!

Apr 3, 08 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

just got an acceptance letter from VTech, haha feels good, but still going to Umich,

Apr 3, 08 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
Confections

Someone call SCI Arc already.

Apr 4, 08 2:56 am  · 
 · 
stargazer

i guess some of us have gone to the open house and left this thread dying...

Apr 4, 08 6:02 am  · 
 · 
Riedell101

afrdzak - just wondering your reasons for going to UMich over VTech. and also, i would appreciate it if you would convince everyone you know who got into VTech to not go, so that i could maybe get off the wait list..... same goes for all of you accepted to Ga Tech!! :) and congrats, btw. i'm not really as bitter as i seem ;)

Apr 4, 08 8:58 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Has anyone here gone to the VTech open house?

Apr 4, 08 11:53 am  · 
 · 
nariman

*afrdzak

I'm Canadian and have been accepted to schools in NYC. Financial aid for international students is close to non-existent.

I thought 50k a year is pretty good for an intern. The salary poll is showing much lower numbers.

Apr 4, 08 11:57 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Riedell101, I actually can't answer that question yet. The thing is, I submitted my deposit to UMich earlier this week and then I get my letter from VTech yesterday. I'm starting to re-think my decision, but it's primarily because VTech starts in the Fall, which gives me more time here in San Diego and it's half the cost of UMich. The other things that attract me to VTech is WAAC and their Swiss exchange program.

UMich attracts me because they have buying power; the high tuition they recieve is, in ways, returned to the students by means of awesome facilities/machinery that is available free to the student; every Spring/Summer is an opportunity for international studios, every spring break they help you with an internship (unpaid) in most major cities. However, the impression I get out of UMich is that it has a lot of hand-holding, but I could be completely wrong in this. The other bad thing about UMich is its current state of uncertainty because of the Dean search and I heard from someone who went to their Open House that they're replacing about 60% of their faculty. Ann Arbor is a bigger and more diverse city than Blacksburg.

Apr 4, 08 12:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: