Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

sayyes

kramer... Rice sent out acceptances Thursday before last... no idea about SCI-Arc, I'm waiting too

Mar 31, 08 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
wittyusername

Hey Moca, just saw your post.

Yup, Ill be at the UCLA open house. FF33, I'm sure Ill see you there. Moca, too bad you wont be able to attend, I'll be sure to post anything worthy of note afterwards.

Mar 31, 08 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
mindexpansionanchor

I'm about to give up on sci arc...one of hernan's studio models probably ate all the decisions.

Mar 31, 08 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
beatbox

Any suggestions on where to go for a drink after the GSD open house on Friday?

And is anyone headed over to Penn's open house on the 7th as well?

Mar 31, 08 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

@beatbox, from my post on this thread:

grab a beer at bukowski's after the gsd open house. just walk up cambridge street about 3/4 mile to inman square, it's on the left. inman's got lots of other good eat and drink places as well, it's a nice alternative to the uber-touristy places in harvard square. if you must go to the square, walk down brattle street to charlie's kitchen for diner food and atmosphere. go upstairs at charlie's for the full bar experience, they have a surprisingly good array of brews on tap.

Mar 31, 08 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
beatbox

Thanks Snark...Bukowski's it is then.

Mar 31, 08 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

oh yeah, and when you go - definitely spin the wheel of beer :)

Mar 31, 08 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
beatbox

Wheel o' Beer?

That sounds right up my alley.

Mar 31, 08 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
andytee

ok, back on topic!

haha, i'm kidding, bukowski's is fun if a little loud. if the weather is nice and you feel like doing something in harvard square, shay's can be nice, esp. if you get a seat on the patio.

Mar 31, 08 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
andytee

and, in architecture related news...

i finally got into a school, umass amherst let me know today via email (i emailed them and asked) that i will receive a letter offering me admission in a few days.

glad to have the whole thing over with, now i need to figure out if it's umass, or waiting a year, or something else entirely.

the grand totals:

the five popular bitches who snubbed me:

GSD, MIT, Berkeley, RISD, UW Seattle

the one dorky kid who is down to hang:

UMASS Amherst

the cookie has officially crumbled and the crumbs are arrayed thusly. not my best run, but i am glad to have it done.

so, anyone going to the Systems for Inclusion conference at the GSD this weekend?

Mar 31, 08 6:20 pm  · 
 · 
chaps

I'll be there.

Mar 31, 08 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
quiksilver

skycaptain:

I got my GSD rejection on Friday by postal mail. It's really late to have not received any word from them, considering Friday is their open house... Check your mail today, and call them if you haven't received anything.

But anyway, go with MIT! Join myself, ottodesk ottocad and citrus.grey... muahaha. I actually just started chatting with ottodesk through email about MIT, so shoot either one of us an email if you want to discuss!

Mar 31, 08 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

quiksilver, are you recruiting already?!

Ok, GSAPPers holla at me! We'll rent a 6 bedroom townhouse and make a documentary called, "inside the design studio" that details our trials and tribulations.

Ahhh sweet, sweet vanity....

Mar 31, 08 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
andytee

yeah, skycaptain and anyone else who has not heard yet, i don't think there is any reason not to call or email the schools you have not heard from and ask. it's late enough in the game that it is fair to make a simple excuse ("i have heard from all my schools except you and need to make a decision" or "your open house is in 4 days and if i am admitted i need to time to make travel plans" or... you get the idea) and the worst they can do is refuse to tell you anything. i've done this with several schools and usually heard back in a day or two.

Mar 31, 08 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
skycaptain

MIT ppl. add me to facebook if you want...msg. me for info. :P

Mar 31, 08 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
Brendan

today i got into Vtech and rejected from Parsons.

Rice/Toronto left.

Mar 31, 08 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
rob(E)

I guess Sci-arc doesnt care that we all got accepted and are going to open houses.....

Who'll be in NYC for the Columbia open house? Ill be there, holla.

Also, CinciNASTY open house ill be there too-any takers?

on a final note thank you GSD for the rejection letter, an thank you UTAustin for the waitlist, bastards.

Mar 31, 08 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
swia prez

uh, is anyone going to risd?

Mar 31, 08 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
mindexpansionanchor

just heard from shelby @ sciarc: wasc just got done with their accreditation visit which threw everything back a bit...said the faculty will be making final decisions this week, and we should be hearing either the end of this week or beginning of next...

Mar 31, 08 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
_juut

waitlisted at MIT. June 2

Mar 31, 08 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
asmalldarkroom

laurilan - i got accepted and am going to cincy.

rob(e) - i am not going to make it to their open house, but i am planning a trip out there later in the month to visit the studios and look for housing.

Mar 31, 08 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
lebanesey

rob(e) i'll be at the columbia open house, though i probably won't end up there. still nice to know what i'll be missing!

Apr 1, 08 12:51 am  · 
 · 
bristow

uh, is anyone going to Cornell?

I have this wierd feeling they took like only 15 people....

so maybe it makes sense no one on here ever mentions it?

Apr 1, 08 10:12 am  · 
 · 
Riedell101

the last school i'm waiting to hear from (ga tech) sends out letters today! they're my last hope, since i'm not counting on getting off the va tech waitlist..... wish me luck!!! :)

Apr 1, 08 10:34 am  · 
 · 
tkoshow

Good Luck Riedell

I applied to GT as well. I'm taking my chances and coming to visit next week.

Apr 1, 08 11:01 am  · 
 · 
ryhane

Riedell101, I am in the same boat. I went there for my undergrad and I felt that it was a really good school. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Apr 1, 08 11:13 am  · 
 · 
skycaptain

still no word from GSD> I emailed them.

Apr 1, 08 11:55 am  · 
 · 
sayyes

Has anyone got fin aid paperworks from Wash U(Stl)?

Apr 1, 08 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
kramer2nd

yup, and lots of it, sayyes you going to the open house?

Apr 1, 08 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
anvi

bristow: I'm going to Cornell.

I don't know why nobody talks about Cornell here. Maybe nobody wants to live there? I figured that I was in the M.Arch I route and Cornell is known for its B.Arch - that's why I applied there.

And the administrator said the expected class size is going to be 25. 5 AP, 20 first year.

Apr 1, 08 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

tkoshow and ryhane

good luck to both of you as well! hopefully we all get our acceptance letters to ga tech this week! and then we can celebrate when tkoshow comes into town!!

Apr 1, 08 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
bristow

hmmm yes well I mean according to this post,

http://www.architectmagazine.com/industry-news.asp?sectionID=1006&articleID=602885

cornell's right up there. I just find it really interesting that not more people have talked about it on here. Im psyched.

Weather or not, I mean come on we'll be in school. Who cares.

BEfore anyone comments on the "merits of lists" though, Im just putting it up there as a point of reference. I realise they can be extremely fickle and bias and political...etc

I just find them interesting.

Apr 1, 08 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
moca

i just talked to someone at sciarc..
apparently they havent sent out anything yet...
(so i dont know how someone heard they mailed out a batch awhile back?)
they will be mailing out the decisions next tuesday and wednesday..
so if you are interested in knowing earlier..call
213.13.2200x320 to ask on next tuesday and wednesday

Apr 1, 08 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

i think cornell is known more for its undergrad, which is why we don't talk about it much on this thread. plus, the m.arch department is relatively new. heard it's a great school, but i could not handle ithaca. ask living in gin about it, he could probably give you a pretty good synopsis of the education, environment, etc. btw, congrats on getting in! such a small class, you must be something special.

Apr 1, 08 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

haha, moca ...you posted their number! They are gonna love you.

Apr 1, 08 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
sayyes

kramer... yes sir...I'll be there... lots of what???? Dough I hope!

Apr 1, 08 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

OMG,

I just got a call from GSD... I got in with a full ride!!
I had given up hope long ago..This is amazing!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy!

Apr 1, 08 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
stonerock

great attempt to spice up this thread.

Apr 1, 08 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

its crazy...I didn't even apply there.

Apr 1, 08 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

Just got an email rejection from GSD. I had to email them cause my letter still hasnt arrived. Oh well! GSAPP here I come!

Apr 1, 08 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
tkoshow

Update on GaT: In (by email)

Apr 1, 08 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
Fraggle

Druvius did you apply to uofT?

Apr 1, 08 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

congrats tkoshow!

Apr 1, 08 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
tkoshow

thanks. i'll be vacationing in the Berkeley Hills and Hot-lanta all next week. nice break from the wall sections and RCPs being discusses a couple pages back.

Apr 1, 08 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
moca

ff33 are you making a april fool's joke? =P

Apr 1, 08 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I guess it was the "Full ride" part that gave me away...pretty unheard of...or was it that today its officially April. Which a sort of nail in the coffin for many remaining school hopefuls...

and it was not as clever as Gmail's
[url=http://mail.google.com/mail/help/customtime/index.html
]Custom Time[/url]

Apr 1, 08 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

ooops... link

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/customtime/index.html

Apr 1, 08 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

congrats tkoshow!! i didn't receive an email today......hope that doesn't mean that i didn't get in......i will start obsessing over that right now though.......

Apr 1, 08 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

Fraggle: yes I did apply to UofT. If you're wondering why I'm choosing GSAPP over Toronto, it's only because I took my undergrad in Toronto and want to move to a new city, a new faculty, and new situation.

I'm still waiting on Sci-Arc too.... the class at Sci-Arc this year is gonna be like 3 ppl because of how late they are!

Apr 1, 08 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
aey

All..

I stumbled upon this chain a few weeks ago, and am real appreciative for the information ive seen. i thought that it was about time to get a few questions out there..

Has anyone recieved finanial aid information from UCLA? I am deciding between them and Wash U in St Louis and need to figure out the financials. I'll be honest, living in sc near the beach is making it hard for me to consider anywhere else..

I managed to get off work for the wustl open house, but don't think that i'll be able to make ucla's. Anyone who is making it out there, please -please- report back for me.

Really, any comments regarding those 2 schools would be incredibly helpful. Which would you choose?

Also, as per this list's etiquette, I suppose you will want my stats:

In:
U of Oregon
Wash U in St Louis
UCLA
U of Illinois at UC

Waitlist:
Penn

Out:
Princeton

Apr 1, 08 5:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: