Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

franciscoalarcon

where are you going ? columbia or SCI?

Apr 8, 08 12:20 am  · 
 · 
rob(E)

well hopefully visiting the open houses will clear it up. I obviously researched both schools as intensley as possible. But a good sense of place can change everything...ie how cinci is kinda beat

Apr 8, 08 12:23 am  · 
 · 
boxy

just go wherever there are the hottest chicks

Apr 8, 08 12:25 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

hahahaha

Apr 8, 08 12:29 am  · 
 · 
boxy

actually that's a tough call... southern cal girls vs. nyc girls.. hmm...

Apr 8, 08 12:30 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I am shitting in my pants ... can't wait for the resolutions ...

How is usually the percentage of admittance for SCI m.arch 1 ?

Apr 8, 08 12:32 am  · 
 · 
rob(E)

I agree Dj, quite a delim. hmmmm, Im from the south, so nothing beats southern girls! jk southern cal and Nyc girls, i like you all- or yall depending on how hot you thing a southern twang is...

Apr 8, 08 12:35 am  · 
 · 
mindexpansionanchor

in at sci-arc too! march 2! im going there for sure. unfortunately, wont be able to make the open house...studio final is due a couple days after it. congrats sci arc peeps!

and to waitlisters at uw and gsapp, ill be giving up my spot in the next couple days here.

whew, a huge weight has been lifted.

Apr 8, 08 12:43 am  · 
 · 
rob(E)

were you is be from dobedos?

Apr 8, 08 12:47 am  · 
 · 
mindexpansionanchor

Seattle, undergrad @ WSU...what about you??

Apr 8, 08 1:00 am  · 
 · 
boxy

hold on a sec dobedos.. you can never say seattle and wazzu in the same sentence

Apr 8, 08 1:02 am  · 
 · 
mindexpansionanchor

hahaha, true true, i actually hail from tacoma...but am at wsu right now finishing up the undergrad.

Apr 8, 08 1:12 am  · 
 · 
boxy

seriously, congrats on sci-arc. say goodbye forever to girls in northface jackets!

Apr 8, 08 1:21 am  · 
 · 
rob(E)

hahah, im finishing up at Clemson right now-oh girls in northface jackets..ha

Apr 8, 08 1:26 am  · 
 · 
boxy

it's like some sick fetish in the northwest. you'll literally see three girls walking together wearing the exact same northface jacket. even worse, they don't believe in using umbrellas, just hoods.

Apr 8, 08 1:31 am  · 
 · 
wittyusername

anyone go to the UCLA open house? Any impressions?

Apr 8, 08 1:31 am  · 
 · 
wittyusername

also, speaking of Seattle, anyone looking at UW? Any insights?

What Im trying to say is, someone needs to decide for me whether to go to UW or UCLA. Im torn; they both seem like good programs, but for VERY different reasons.

Apr 8, 08 1:45 am  · 
 · 
moratto

I'm in at SCI-Arc MArch 2! About time...

Apr 8, 08 2:25 am  · 
 · 
billibneen

Don't think too much about the "why?" of the application process. It is, in many ways, quite arbitrary. Just do what you can to make your application stronger. I was accepted to schools I thought I would be rejected from and vice versa.

Also, for those comparing stats, don't forget that, as shitty as it is, where you went to school is probably more important than your GPA and GRE. I totally bombed the GRE, but I think if the rest of your application is strong, it's pretty irrelevant. Luckily your portfolio is the most important and it is also the one thing you have the most control over.

Apr 8, 08 4:56 am  · 
 · 
ju.dr

jazz32x........ thanks for the info, and i definitely second ur opinion regarding the staff. they have been super duper friendly and helpful and surprisingly honest :). in comparison UF is totaly non-responsive, UIUC responds but not fully, WU st.louis is 2nd to USC.

so naturally im leaning towards USC. did u get more info about the certificates???

Apr 8, 08 7:35 am  · 
 · 
pbandj

tkoshow, thanks so much for the information! that helps a lot. i just received the info from grad division in the mail yesterday but there was nothing about finances - loans, grants, tuition, etc. did they mention anything about financial aid at the open house? it's much cheaper than my other option - GSAPP - but still, it would be nice to have some funding. are you going to berkeley?

Apr 8, 08 10:34 am  · 
 · 
aey

Fellas,

Any impressions from the UCLA open house?
Facilities?
Attitude?
Abroad programs?
Financial aid?
Yada Yada?

Apr 8, 08 11:22 am  · 
 · 
tkoshow

financial aid from the department is really limited - 3 from each option received fellowships. yes, only NINE.

need based aid will be posted on 'bear facts' after april 17th. the budget is 45k for out of state peeps like myself. i talked to kim at financial aid. they close at 3pm.

for department stuff call jamie. for course schedule stuff talk to lois. both in the arch grad office.

i'm visiting this apt rental listing place, 'calrentals,' today - let you know how it goes. i'm leaning towards berkeley, but i'm flying to atl to visit GT on wednesday.

Apr 8, 08 11:50 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Is anyone here, other than me, looking at VTech for M.Arch 3?

Apr 8, 08 11:52 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

any advice on deferral letters? and i've made my decision (even though i haven't heard from u cinn - rejection, i'm sure).

nc state it is!

Apr 8, 08 11:57 am  · 
 · 
jsun

afrdzak, I was waitlisted for the M.arch 3 at V.Tech

Apr 8, 08 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
pbandj

thanks tkoshow, so i'm assuming those nine people have already been informed?

Apr 8, 08 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Hey jsun, the reason I ask is because I'm trying to decide between VTech and UMich. I've heard great things about each program. One thing that bothers me about VTech is that 90% of the faculty is a VTech M.Arch alumn. No diversity. I don't know if I like that. The three biggest draws for me is WAAC, Swiss exchange program and lower cost.

Apr 8, 08 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
boondocks

hey...anyone willing to share their thoughts on UCLA? i couldn't make it out there.

i stopped by UPenn openhouse yesterday (MArch). they were really heavily invested in the form-finding via digital tools. everyone super excited about scripting / advanced geometry. it was almost like that's all you saw in the presentations and the studios. one of the students said, if you are into that stuff, it's the best place to be right now. but if not, think twice about coming there. students seemed really nice and happy to be there. smart, friendly and open. the building was old but there was good energy among students. the financial aid meeting was laughable. i cringed when the director of the admissions said "well, our max. need based grant is $4500. so all of you, when you graduate from penn and make a lot of money, please remember your alma matter." "of course we have merit scholarship, which is more than need based grant. but if you qualified, you would have heard about it already." yikes, not quite the way to woo the prospective students. embarrassing.

i am probably declining my offer (can't afford it), so those on the waitlist, there's your spot.

is anyone declining from yale or princeton? i am waitlisted there. being on the waitlist is like waterboarding. it should be outlawed.

Apr 8, 08 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
chaps

I might be declining at Yale... still haven't decided, though (open house is tomorrow, we'll see how it goes!)

Apr 8, 08 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
chaps

Oops, I mean the open house is DAY AFTER tomorrow!

I'll keep you posted, boondocks.

Apr 8, 08 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
chaps

By the way, anyone have any opinions/insight on the GSD vs. Yale? The deadline for my decision is looming on the horizon, yet I am still completely clueless!

Apr 8, 08 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

boondocks i'll be declining at yale. looks like it's princeton for me, barring major disasters......

Apr 8, 08 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
kevinn

@afrdzak
i'm heading to vtech m.arch3, tho it's the only one i got into.
aside from WAAC and study abroad, there seem to be pretty good employment opportunities during/following school.

i worked one summer in alexandria and all the interns with me were vtech/WAAC students, some of which had been working for the entire year on and off
tho, this was just one firm, finding work is one of the things i've been worried about.

regarding the professors, yeah it does seem like a lot are alumni, prob more around 60-70% tho. but i wouldn't worry too much about it; arch grad school isn't really a cookie cutter thing with your theses and all, and tho they shared a similar curriculum, they prob have their own niche/beliefs.

Apr 8, 08 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
ju.dr

@kevin
do u think having concerns about most profs being alumni is not valid then??? cause i had similar concerns with UF gainsville (90% alumni) esp when i compared with USC and WU St.louis where it seems like the faculty is much more diverse......

Apr 8, 08 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

All else equal, VTech graduates are highly employable. That's the last thing I'm worried about.

Apr 8, 08 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
d-train

anyone know what the cost of the m.arch +2 is at USC. i love how the cost of attendance link is "conveniently" broken. seems like everywhere i look i get a different answer.

Apr 8, 08 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
ju.dr

hahahahaha ya even i faced the same prob recently................
anyways acc. to the I-20 forms i got tution is $37000 something per year and estimated (albeit on the higher side) total cost per yr is $55000 something

Apr 8, 08 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
ju.dr

d-train did u hear from sci-arc yet???

Apr 8, 08 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
d-train

damn, you 2 were all over that....thanks peeps

Apr 8, 08 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
d-train

nothin yet.... not exactly holding my breath

Apr 8, 08 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Some of you knows how many applications SCI-Arc got for m.arch1 and how many will be admitted?

Apr 8, 08 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
SV0123

can anyone tell me what time the Columbia open house starts tomorrow?? and when it's supposed to be over?

Apr 8, 08 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
jiminy cricket

Hi guys. I went through this stuff last year. Good luck to all!
If anyone who got into sci-arc or usc needs a place, send me an email. I'm leaving my place. $630/mo util. incl. 3 roommates - all theatrical lighting designers. Light industrial/residential area - 25th and Main. Space is below a church and next door to a silk screen shop. The real life flock of wild green parrots live in the neighbors tree during the summer.

Apr 8, 08 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
Underground

SCI-Arc - YES
UCLA - YES
SYRACUSE - YES
Columbia - NO
Harvard - NO
Yale - NO
UWash - NO
Rice - NO
Berkeley - NO

Chose UCLA.

Apr 8, 08 7:26 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

GOT IN SCI-ARC m.arch 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 8, 08 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

ya congrats!

Apr 8, 08 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

SCI-Arc Yes
Syracuse Yes
Columbia No
RISD No
Cornell No
Pratt ? I dont know what happens with the !"·$!"· WES accreditation
Parsons ?

I am going 99.99999999999% to SCI-Arc m.arch 1. If I get in Pratt I would think about...

Apr 8, 08 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
oshit

ju.dr -

you're misinformed: UF faculty are not 90% alumni. and it's Gainesville.
do your research.

Apr 8, 08 8:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: