Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

modernmonk

why can't they use emails instead?

Mar 14, 08 2:00 am  · 
 · 
modernmonk

stop calling...

Mar 14, 08 2:01 am  · 
 · 
ahouseapalace

after lurking on this thread for way too long....and going through the low point of not getting the yale email on monday....

i got the mit call today.

and the gsd email on tuesday - and I only half believed it was real.

m.archI, non arch background.

Mar 14, 08 2:19 am  · 
 · 
stargazer

citrus.grey:

i had a BA(ArchStud) from Hong Kong (three years degree, British system)
and was admitted to MArch in MIT

however MIT stated that they offer professional MArch (Level I) - 2.5 years and MArch (Level II) - 3.5 years

"Those who have not yet studied in a department of architecture and are admitted to MArch at Level I require 3½ academic years of residency to fulfill the degree requirements. For students who have taken architectural design at an accredited architectural school and have been admitted to MArch at Level II, the residency requirement is normally 2½ years. For MIT Bachelor of Science in Art and Design students who gain early admission to the MArch program, the minimum required residency is four regular terms."

Their open house is on 3rd April.

Mar 14, 08 6:11 am  · 
 · 
doin_time

I got my rejection letter from UVA for Landscape Architecture yesterday.

It had two punctuation errors and at least two stylistic deficiencies in the text.

I am seriously considering red-marking it and sending it back to them.

Too bitchy?

Mar 14, 08 9:30 am  · 
 · 
Riedell101

no news again....... no mail at all actually. starting to think someone is stealing my mail....

Mar 14, 08 9:30 am  · 
 · 
nathanoj

M.Arch I AP GSD. email yesterday. first school i've heard from. still waiting on UCLA, MIT, GaTech.

Mar 14, 08 10:11 am  · 
 · 
Riedell101

i really want to get into GaTech! it's not exactly my top choice, did my undergrad there.....not too excited about going back, but being in state, it's definitely the cheapest option by far!!

Mar 14, 08 10:39 am  · 
 · 
doin_time

@Riedell101

I was sure I was getting blacklisted by my mail carrier until yesterday. Now I know it's just because the schools I applied to have blacklisted me.

Mar 14, 08 10:58 am  · 
 · 
Riedell101

@doin_time

i no longer think i'm being blacklisted by the postal service or even the schools, i've narrowed it down to one instructor in particular. i've decided that he has made it his life's goal to ruin mine..... i'm pretty sure he sits on the review board at gatech......

Mar 14, 08 11:27 am  · 
 · 
Fraggle

haha i went to tech....i wonder who that teacher could be...hummm

Mar 14, 08 11:28 am  · 
 · 
Riedell101

@slainte

when were you at tech?

Mar 14, 08 11:30 am  · 
 · 
Fraggle

I graduated this past May, u?

Mar 14, 08 11:32 am  · 
 · 
Riedell101

i graduated may 2005

Mar 14, 08 11:33 am  · 
 · 
Riedell101

man, this is a slow day on archinect.......

Mar 14, 08 11:50 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I prefer that.

This morning I got a phone call from RISD. Then I decided to go there to study the M.Arch 1. But when I realised that I was in class in of Structures in RISD, the alarm turned on and everything was a DREAM!

hahahaha ten minutes after, taking a shower I didn't know if the phone call was a dream or not..... but, obviously, it was a dream.

Mar 14, 08 11:55 am  · 
 · 
thenew

I GOT INTO COLUMBIA!
For all of you who applied, your decision may be available online. I didn't even get an email, I just checked my application status. yay!

Mar 14, 08 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

acceptances haven't crept into my dreams yet....i'm sure it'll start soon.

i'm just working on a rendering right now, and keep taking breaks because the markers are giving me headaches.....

Mar 14, 08 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
Fraggle

Riedell101

Do you live and work in Atlanta?

Mar 14, 08 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
sufj

congrats thenew! no change on my page yet. are you m.arch I?

Mar 14, 08 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
thenew

i was accepted to the M.S. Advanced Architectural Design...

Mar 14, 08 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

slainte - live and work just outside of atlanta. you?

Mar 14, 08 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
ks1000

congrats!

Mar 14, 08 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
Fraggle

I work in midtown at a "corporate" firm

Mar 14, 08 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

i miss living in midtown..... if i don't get into any schools this year, i'll probably move back down. and if i get back into tech, then i'll definitely be back in midtown

Mar 14, 08 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
Fraggle

Good luck with tech! still trying to put my finger on that teacher. Hopefully I don't have the same problem!

Mar 14, 08 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
stelina

another MSAAD @ Columbia acceptance.

congrats to all and good luck!

Mar 14, 08 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

thanks! good luck to you as well. i won't reveal who the instructor is on here..... since he's so resolute on destroying me, i'm sure he checks this thread too, just waiting for me to slip up. hahaha

Mar 14, 08 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

OK so i am re-hashing all my stuff from the app process. I didn't have time to really do a thourough job of it the first time around and I am pretty dissapointed in it, but I think it was enough to get the point across (hopefully)

Did anyone else write super-tailored essays? I found people at each instutution that I aspire to study with and talked briefly about that - I hope it didn't come across as trite.

Mar 14, 08 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

conormac - i was told to stay clear of mentioning specific names, which is what i set out to do in the first place. but i ended up not saying anything about the school of specific teachers.

Mar 14, 08 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

any m.arch people hearing from columbia? thenew?

Mar 14, 08 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

i keep checking online but nothing yet.

Mar 14, 08 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
sufj

still nothing on the m.arch front here.

Mar 14, 08 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

just curious: does anyone know the class-size of entering Path A M.archs at UVa?

Mar 14, 08 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

smith....shit, that wouldve been helpful info ...I name dropped two of my, well-know, recommenders. Maybe thats why im going 0 for 4?

Mar 14, 08 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

i name dropped too, i had set up meetings with people at each school, and i put that into the statement......guess that was a bad move

Mar 14, 08 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

conormac - I don't know how effective my essay was. I guess I'll find out in a couple of days (hopefully). The hardest part I had was writing the part about why I wanted to go to that particular school without sounding like a total kiss ass. While my essay probably isn't something that will stand out too much I felt it was very solid.

Mar 14, 08 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

i wouldn't put too much emphasis on it..it's just that everyone has an ego, and you don't know about the personal/professional relationship climate at each school.

some people hate their coworkers and if you mention their name as being the best at the school, they may take offense. hopefully, they would be professional enough to see the effort you're making; however, we're all human.

i think mentioning specific names is more helpful in PhD applications.

Mar 14, 08 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

yeah smith, good point. one of the people i name dropped, you either love him or hate him... im sure mentioning him was a bad move. but how could they fault me for that? its not like im tied to this guy. hmmm. funny thing: he mentioned being able to "help" me get into yale. I declined cause i wasnt sure i absolutely wanted to go there. big mistake. big mistake. live and learn

Mar 14, 08 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

I stayed away from name dropping and tried to talk about research or projects done at the school and somehow tried to tie it into my interests. But I kept the part on why I wanted to go to that school to less than a paragraph.

Mar 14, 08 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

the thing is I wasnt name dropping to name drop. I had serious interests in what these people do...and it was relevant to the schools

Mar 14, 08 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

sheesh. I can see how it would be totally tedious to read about how awesome each school is over & over again, I've been doing mostly finance for 5 years I hope they can forgive my lack of poetics!

short burst of TMI & anger - I totally deserve all the schools I applied to. I know a lot of folks in & around them and I could definately keep up & contribute. It just so happens that I took a job getting roundhouse-kicked in the face every day and it totally killed my applications. I know they have a TON of ppl to look through and there are only so many spaces, I'm not angry at the schools just super frustrated. I'm 27 already.

Maybe I'll at least be waitlisted.

sorry don't mind me.

Mar 14, 08 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

not to take the 'commiserate' part too literally... lol

Mar 14, 08 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
sayyes

are any of the Columbia peeps M Arch(first professional whatever you want to call it?)s...

Mar 14, 08 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

my school specific stuff was only a paragraph, and the names i used were just when i said that i had a meeting with so and so, and this is what i learned which ties into my interests like this..... so maybe that's not too bad?

Mar 14, 08 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

con..I feel your pain. I feel your pain. Although, im only 22, so Ill shutup :)

Mar 14, 08 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

conormac, without knowing specifically what you wrote, I wouldn't necessarily consider that trite. I do think mentioning individual instructors is a bit of a two-sided coin though. On one hand it shows that you've done at least a bit of research and are applying for more interesting reasons than reputation/prestige etc. but on the other hand it's important to remember that faculty members don't always have a ton of respect for each other so depending on who reads it you may have mixed results. It’s not going to sink you though.

I know people here might disagree with me but I think the portfolio is like 85%+ of this process anyway so I wouldn't stress about it.

Mar 14, 08 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

Yeah conormac - I'm 27 too. I'd like to out of school and working in the field by 30. So I don't really feel like applying/reapplying next year. But I may. And that would give a good reason to be part of the 2009 M.Arch Commiserate thread.

Mar 14, 08 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

smith, why would mentioning the names of professors you want to work with be a disadvantage? my essays were very tailored to each school, only repeating about a 1/3 of the material (why i wanted to pursue graduate education). the other 2/3 were devoted to explaining how my goals and values aligned with those of the school/programs i was applying to.

i think schools can pick generic essays out pretty quickly. even changing a few sentences in each one seems rather superficial. i think if you do a significant amount of research on each school and write a convincing argument of why you belong at that school, then you've got a solid essay. im not saying write an love poem or analytical proof, but show that there are actual reasons why you want to go to that particular school beyond the fact that "when i was a kid i loved playing with legos..."

Mar 14, 08 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

i hope it's 85%! my portfolio is about the only thing i have going for me.... and maybe i don't even. i think it's good, but maybe they don't. wasn't good enough to get into maryland....

@conormac - i know how you feel! i'll be 26 in 2 weeks, i'll be finished with my IDP by august at the latest....i have got to get into a professional degree program! i don't want to be taking the exams at 45!!

Mar 14, 08 12:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: