Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

jhooper

conormac has a pretty good point. There are plenty of people who are qualified for the top schools. My dad has sat on some selection comittees (albeit for fine arts, not arch) and mentioned that at the end of the process there's a lot of horse trading, certain profs pushing some people others don't like, people go out to the bathroom... there's a fair amount of luck built into the process. At the end they may also be looking for certain styles of people to round out their class even though there might be someone better in a different style.... so it goes

having said that; why the hell haven't i heard from any of my schools?!

Mar 14, 08 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

So just checked my email... Princeton e-ject and an offer to "increase my sexual activity time"

Mar 14, 08 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
rabbits

what a bunch of haters

Mar 14, 08 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
kramer2nd

i definitely just got rejected from princeton. should make for a fun weekend, right?

Mar 14, 08 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

1 down 3 to go :(

Mar 14, 08 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

xacto: i'm not saying it's a certain detriment to your application; i'm simply saying that you must be extremely careful when doing so. and my careful, i mean being thorough, specific and convincing and with good REASON. and again, i just think it's a double-edged sword. and i'd rather not stab anyone. i went the route of personal narrative/short story to avoid all of that mumble jumble, and i think it's working.

Mar 14, 08 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
jhooper

asbuck- got the princeton reject too, bummer

Mar 14, 08 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
Brendan

still 0/6 for me. if nothing today, it will have been 2 full weeks where i expected at least one response. not good, but not bad.

i think im going to play some racquetball. take my eyes off the thread.

Mar 14, 08 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

asbuck- what a well-paired set of emails!

Mar 14, 08 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

i just got an invite to cornell open house. what does this mean!?

Mar 14, 08 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
bravobb

also rejection from Princeton.
really sad, and this proves the proverb again: no news is bad news!

Mar 14, 08 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

help!?!

· 
citrus.grey

The other thing is that all the famous professors that most people would mention in their essays are the ones flying around the world on private jets doing cocaine with strippers, the people who scour through piles of portfolios are the full-time academics that most have never heard of.

· 
asbuckeye07

true, but im so much more relieved to know...come on the 3 other schools I applied to! step up!

Mar 14, 08 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
robowala

got waitlisted at princeton. i wonder if that list moves at all...

Mar 14, 08 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

I didnt mention Spitzer in my essay though.... too soon? sorry, had to be topical

Mar 14, 08 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
bravobb

smithwillb : got it too! I don't think it has any meaning.

Mar 14, 08 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

UHG

Mar 14, 08 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

i just emailed her and asked if it was only for accepted students. and if this meant i was accepted... i think they must have fucked up somehow?

Mar 14, 08 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
rafelito

another rejection from princeton heree.... confidence shaker.

Mar 14, 08 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
bravobb

smith, hope for a positive answer!
But I really don't think so.

Mar 14, 08 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! i was accepted!!!

Mar 14, 08 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
sayyes

are any of the Columbia admits M Arch 1s?

Mar 14, 08 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

she emailed back and said "YES! you are accepted! Congratulations! You will be called later today."

am i dreaming? i think this is a dream.

Mar 14, 08 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

"the open house is for accepted students and we mailed all the offer letters out the other day, so you should receive your packet with in the next day or so."

Mar 14, 08 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
bravobb

really? It's possible that you are the luky one!
And, great great congratulations!

Mar 14, 08 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
kramer2nd

just got a phone call from an unlisted number and my heart stopped. it ended up being a telemarketer. isn't that shit against the law these days. im sooo pissed now

Mar 14, 08 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

you have to be accepted to bravo! it only makes sense!

Mar 14, 08 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
dietc0ke

Conrgrats smithwillb!

Mar 14, 08 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
doin_time

In my essay for MLA app I didn't speak about people, but I specifically named places in Mississippi (where I grew up/went to undergrad) and Philly (where I moved/have worked since graduating).

I assumed being specific about that stuff would be a good thing, but who knows at this point.

Mar 14, 08 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
bravobb

I still can't believe that because my friend received this email exactly the same time. Is it just a coincidence?

Mar 14, 08 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
doin_time

Guys, I'm 32, so I don't wanna hear all this whimpering about being 26-27. I'll only dry the tears of people who have rounded that third decade.

Mar 14, 08 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

hm, well. email her and ask! i did and she wrote right back.

Mar 14, 08 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
bravobb

smithwillb, calm down, untill the official letter/email/call.
I am sorry I am so sad of the previous rejection :(

· 
nathanoj

anybody get any financial info from GSD?

· 
bUbBLe

Anyone named the undergrad school in the essay? I'm applying for next year, not sure if I should talk about where I went to, I know I shouldn't mention it too much, but then it's too important for me.

Mar 14, 08 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

nathan...the admission package comes with a pretty thick book covering the ins and outs of financial aid...not sure if its anything that can't be found online though..

Mar 14, 08 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
dietc0ke

nathonaj,

not yet for me

Mar 14, 08 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

buble, i think you'll be fine unless you sound too pretentious. As some one who's about to get rejected from all schools, let me give you a little piece of advice I wished someone wouldve told me. Apply to safties. And dont be too cocky.

Anyone: thoughts on GSD? any more admissions? or are they done with? I really wish schools would tell rejected students first. It could be like a reality tv show...elimination first.

Mar 14, 08 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
doin_time

@asbuckeye07

AGREED

Mar 14, 08 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

WTF!?!?!?!?! i just got an email rejection from IIT. I DIDN'T EVEN APPLY THERE THIS YEAR!!!!! this is not a good sign...........

Mar 14, 08 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

haha. Now THATS funny

Mar 14, 08 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

my confidence is shot. i am now certain that i am not getting into a single school.

Mar 14, 08 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
doin_time

@Riedell101

same here

although, i did get into a program at Penn that I didn't mean to apply for, so at least there's that

Mar 14, 08 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
j2h

yeah i thik i was still holding out some hope until today...are we all assuming the end is near if not past?

Mar 14, 08 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

@doin_time

getting into a program you didn't mean to apply to is much different than getting rejected from a program you didn't apply to.....

Mar 14, 08 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

yeah same here Rie... all I can hope for at this point is that one of my schools misplaced my phone number. And my email address at the same time.

j2h, I am assuming that. I read somewhere last year though that someone got in without a call, just a package in the mail. But, the consistency at which they've called a large number of people in two groups...doesnt bode well for us.

Mar 14, 08 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
jhooper

riedell - i got accepted there for undergrad, and i swear i never finished the application!

Mar 14, 08 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

just woke up from nap... Princeton e-jection waiting in my mailbox. I'm actually not that disappointed... just relieved to get closure. 0/1 so far!

Mar 14, 08 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

smith was that Cornell invite an e-mail? Congrats!

Mar 14, 08 2:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: