Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

bristow

clearly i havent been accepted.

im just obsessing.

Mar 13, 08 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
A V

I emailed JJ Jackman of SCI Arc and he says 1st week of a April.. they are still deciding right now. : \

Where are you from ff?

Mar 13, 08 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I just got a great idea for my portfolio next year

Who needs a MOVIE

Mar 13, 08 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

bristow - gsd open house for accepted students is on april 4. it's on their events calendar.

Mar 13, 08 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

On thegradcafe.com I saw that RISD made more acceptance calls today. It's got me kinda worried. I really like that school.

Mar 13, 08 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

wow. that's all i can say. wow. i think i definitely need a movie!!

Mar 13, 08 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

it looks like the RISDs are all fellowships. I'm completely into RISD too & can't wait to hear.

as a matter of fact, I love all the schools I applied to, and can't wait to hear!

Mar 13, 08 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
gssoul

Hi everyone. I have browsed this thread for 2 weeks.
The only news I've got is U.Mich, which told me I was accepted to join their MUD program. But I heard some ppl said this program is not as good as their M.Arch, so I am still waiting news from other schools.

Although I am ready to get rejected from YSOA and GSD, I just cant help dreaming things impossible. Pretty silly, isnt it? :[

Waiting to be informed really drives me crazy!
Plz let me join you guys and "shout out"!

Mar 13, 08 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
gradapp07

i have not heard back from any schools except the AA. I applied to M.Arch II. I'm assuming that most of you applied to M.Arch I, so do you think it takes a bit longer for them to get back to me? I'm gauging this off the application dates, where M.Arch I is typically 1-2 weeks before M.Arch II.

I hope that I'm not going to be really disappointed.

· 
gradapp07

application "deadlines"

· 
la_la

... just logged onto to UT-Austin website to check my status, it says "denied" crap - my first rejection. That dream I had was such a scam!

Mar 13, 08 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
Riedell101

sorry to hear that la_la! where else did you apply?

Mar 13, 08 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

no UT for me ,either...dang

Mar 13, 08 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
sufj

did you guys get any email from UT informing you of the status update or anything... I just logged in to check but don't see any change. Was it right on the same page where it shows all your materials as submitted?

Mar 13, 08 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
la_la

MIT [assumed rejection] Oregon and SCI-arc - thanks for the sympathies Riedell, I liked that school.

Mar 13, 08 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

yeah.

Mar 13, 08 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
la_la

sufj - right on that page in the text on top of the chart that shows materials submitted. It was in the fine print.

Mar 13, 08 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
sufj

sorry to hear that guys, thanks for the info... i will keep refreshing :/

Mar 13, 08 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
Brendan

you guys had me worried. UT says im still under review. i figure any second now,,,

Mar 13, 08 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
sufj

my heart can't take this

Mar 13, 08 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
ha_no

i got a phone call.. it was 212 number and was really excited.. but turned out it was my roommate calling from his office.....

Mar 13, 08 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

well, i applied and was accepted to UT - but it doesn't say so on my application status check.

Mar 13, 08 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

my status stated specifically that i was denied...

Mar 13, 08 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I got a phone call this morning at 7.00am (new mexico time) to my spanish cell phone with an occult number.... I didn't response, I was in coma hahaha. I gave this number to several schools but I don't remember which one....

Mar 13, 08 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
rafelito

spanish cell phone?

Mar 13, 08 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

In coma ... I mean... I went to sleep at 3.00 am and I couldn't wake up even with 5 phone calls

· 
franciscoalarcon

rafaelito si, soy de espana

· 
sufj

smith how did you hear from texas?

Mar 13, 08 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

sufj - i got an email

Mar 13, 08 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
rafelito

que parte?

Mar 13, 08 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
sufj

thanks smith... i am waiting for so many emails, really nerve racking

Mar 13, 08 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

smith - you applied to a lot of schools. How'd you manage to do research on that many? I had a hard enough time with 5. That's a lot of essays to write. Did you reuse/tailor the same essay for the ones that wanted a personal statement? - thats what I did. How about other people?

Mar 13, 08 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
Brendan

i did the same with my essays. mostly. i had to basically rewrite an entire paragraph about why i like an individual place, of course.

Mar 13, 08 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

The guts of most of my essays were largely the same, but I made sure to discuss my interests and experiences in relation to each school's philosophical bent.

Mar 13, 08 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

Here’s the deal: I did research of these schools thoroughly. I also spent exactly one year preparing for the applications. I took night classes in physics and calc; took the Columbia summer program and I wrote and wrote and rewrote and edited and rewrote my personal statement.

When I was at Columbia this summer, the Dean of Admissions kept referring to her “favorite” admissions essay that was a creatively written narrative of sorts. She said it was so different and at the same time managed to subtly highlight important issues to him.

So, I wrote an essay about gardening and how it’s affected me. I didn’t talk about architecture or about the specific school; I didn’t ONCE mention career; nor did I ever use the word “goal.” That stuff is all they read. But, I got my point across without bashing them over the head. I also spent about 4 months writing it. not kidding.

But yeah, it was the same essay for every school.

Mar 13, 08 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
Fraggle

smithwillb thats great advice! thx! where did you get in so far?

Mar 13, 08 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
S>O

I just checked my online status at Ohio State and is states this:
Status: You will receive a letter requesting that you confirm your plans to attend The Ohio State University. Please confirm your intentions to enroll by APRIL 16, 2008.

Mar 13, 08 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Yeah big willie style!!

Mar 13, 08 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

this is my round-up:

Clemson - Accepted, mail(2/21)
Texas - Accepted, email (2/27)
UVa - Accepted, phone call (3/3)
UMich - Accepted, mail (3/3)
WashU St. Louis - Accepted, email + mail (3/5)
NC State - Accepted, email (3/10)
VTech - Accepted, mail (3/12)
Columbia - ?
Cornell - ?
UPenn - ?
UFlorida - ?

Mar 13, 08 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

rafaelito, de Almería.

Mar 13, 08 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

smith
you're a non-arch background aren't you?

Congrats again...so are you going to repost that amazing record every page or what?

Mar 13, 08 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

no, just everytime i get in/rejected or when someone asks (see above)

i'm non-arch all the way.

Mar 13, 08 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Go smith! congrats on that awesome record.

You're making the fresh prince proud to be share your name!

Mar 13, 08 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

at some point this thread can become a form of masturbation

Mar 13, 08 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
A V

ff33 - a little bitter?!
Dont be so bummed we're gonna end up at SCI_Arc anyway :]

Mar 13, 08 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

sorry, i don't mean to be too masturbatory...i just think it's nice people can see who got in/rejected from where and when and how, so they know what to expect.

Mar 13, 08 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

i'd post the same shit if it was rejections, trust me.

Mar 13, 08 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I know its cool, I AM glad you have such a wide selection.

Mar 13, 08 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Fraggle

plus i did ask him what schools he got in to.

Mar 13, 08 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Yeah can we just be happy for eachother here? I would hate for this to turn into a bitter hate-athon.

Mar 13, 08 4:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: