Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

Andrew Teng

How are you Columbia applicants checking your status? On the website that you applied through?

Mar 14, 08 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
hugapineapple

congrats smith!

Mar 14, 08 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
swamprat

Anyone hear from UPENN or Rice?

Mar 14, 08 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

Upenn mails on the 17th.

Mar 14, 08 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
rose4401

uPenn, no. I'm also not expecting to be accepted - I think we'll hear next week

Mar 14, 08 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
swamprat

Cool thanks. Just got worried because I got accepted to UIC a month ago, and I have to reply back to them soon. Just want to make sure I have enough time to make a choice if accepted to UPENN.

Mar 14, 08 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

another princeton reject here...

Mar 14, 08 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
doin_time

@swamprat

I think UPenn, unlike most of these schools in discussion here, is mailing out acceptance, waitlist and rejection all at once. At least that was what I inferred from talking with them last week.

Mar 14, 08 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
bristow

ok so i just got an email from Cornell inviting me to the openhouse april 11th

but i havent received anything about being accepted/rejected!

good sign/bad sign?

anyone else in the same situation?

Mar 14, 08 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

bristow, scroll up and read

Mar 14, 08 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
kramer2nd

when i got accepted to UPenn last year, it only came in the mail in a tiny envelope

Mar 14, 08 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
hugapineapple

bristow scroll up

Mar 14, 08 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
bristow

so i got in!??!?!

Mar 14, 08 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
bristow

so i got in!??!?!

· 
boxy

call them

· 
smithwillb

okay, the cornell thing is real. i just checked my mail: big package + scholarship money. but that school is still so expensive.

· 
xacto

so i just got an email from columbia admissions say to check my status because a decision has been made, but my status has not changed...what a tease.

Mar 14, 08 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Just got accepted to U. of Illinois - Urbana Champaign.

Not going there though hehehe

Mar 14, 08 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
sufj

xacto, what program?

Mar 14, 08 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

nice work AV! perfect score so far!

Mar 14, 08 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
jsun

anyone here from V.tech? I saw a post on gradcafe

Mar 14, 08 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
Fraggle

congrats AV! man you are on a roll!

Mar 14, 08 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
A V

jsun- I heard from them two days ago

I think that you might have seen my post.

Mar 14, 08 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

jsun - i got the letter two days ago.

Mar 14, 08 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

Ridell - rejected from somewhere you didn't apply? Now they are just getting mean. lol that's hilarrious you can't feel bad about it.

I would like to apologize for contributing to the freak-out mentality here. I'd be terrible at a witch hunt. There's a good 2 weeks before anything is certain, and we have more pressing matters at hand:

Mar 14, 08 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

conormac, your blog is really great. you didn't get into the schools you wanted?

Mar 14, 08 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

rejected from uva... sweet.

Mar 14, 08 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
Brendan

buckeye - is that the first response you have had?

Mar 14, 08 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

nope, second. no princeton. no uva.

gsd and yale...yeah, not looking good

(angstful sigh)

Mar 14, 08 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

buckeye- what others are u waiting for beside those?

Mar 14, 08 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

thats it. yeah, I know. I think I'll apply to 16 schools next year. cockiness is overrated.

Mar 14, 08 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
Brendan

ah, well. its a fine program, ive visited a couple of times since i live an hour away in richmond and have several friends there. have you been?

i was tempted to apply but chose not to because:

1) the people at the open house creeped me out. they must have picked the nuttiest students to speak at the dept presentations. the blonde in the tartan skirt, i swear, didnt blink for her entire speech. and that was on top of the heavy mouth breathing.

2) i have never been to another city where in one night more than one stranger will pick a fight with you, unprovoked. and same night, where you can be called 'f@g' three times by passersby. i am not a conspicuous person.

3) i have an antique car and UVA students are famous state-wide for knocking off sideview mirrors as a drunken pastime.

good reasons? you decide.

Mar 14, 08 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

damn man... I applied to 9 and I'm feeling like a bag of smashed assholes right now...

Mar 14, 08 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

mrbren, thank you so much for that. I havent laughed that hard in awhile.

Mar 14, 08 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

you're down at all 9 druvius?

Mar 14, 08 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

DJ thanks! I thought only my mom ever saw it :)
I have a U Grad 3.06 cumulative, (something like a 3.5 jr/sr year and a 3.75 in my arch classes) and some shakey letters... but who knows nothing is final untill April

Mar 14, 08 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

I also didn't apply anywhere reasonable.

Mar 14, 08 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

0/1 officially but its more like 0/5. Come on Penn and Columbia!!!

Mar 14, 08 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

did you mean 3.6 con...thats the same ballpark as me. and im sure your portfolio is as good as mine... lets start our own school huh?

Mar 14, 08 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

conormac, here's what i think... you should shoot for the best. why waste your time and money going to a safety school for another 2-3 years? from what i read in your blog, you have the critical thinking prowess to contend with the big boys.

Mar 14, 08 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

because you "shot for the best"...and then what? get rejected by all of them and feel like a dick for another year?

Mar 14, 08 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

touche

Mar 14, 08 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

shooting for the best doesn't mean going to the ivies. it means shooting for what's best for you.

Mar 14, 08 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

oook, didnt say it had anything to do with ivies. those just happened to be what i thought was best for me

Mar 14, 08 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

What if the ivies ARE what's best for you except there's one problem... every year it's a crap shoot.... :\

Mar 14, 08 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

how is it a crap shoot?

Mar 14, 08 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
gradapp07

i think all schools should do acceptance, waitlist, and rejection at once. Why beat a dead horse?

I feel like a dead horse

Mar 14, 08 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Andrew Teng

I'd estimate there's like 15% of the admission pool being outstanding, another 15% crappy enough to exclude right away... and the remainder well qualified but not outstanding. I think it starts to get subjective somewhere in there

Mar 14, 08 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

dj,

...all my profs were warning me , Ivies were a crap shoot...its not uncommon belief..

..but the point is it is about teh whim of what chemistry teh admissions committee decides they want to cultivate. things like work experience or technical ability, or knowledge prove to eb irrelevant it seems for many schools...Ironically , these are traist we aspire at before school , as well as after.

anyway, Congrats to you though DJ..i am sure your portfolio is awesome! :-)

Mar 14, 08 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

asbuck, from what I remember your portfolio and grades were strong. It really seems like M.Arch admissions are so subjective. It really makes me want to apply to other less "subjective" degree programs next time (if there is anext time). But, part of what I like about architecture over other degrees is the artistic and subjective nature of the field. Tough call.

Mar 14, 08 4:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: