Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

BabbleBeautiful

yeah, congrats. I'm jealous. While I was at their open-house I was very excited about their program.

Feb 28, 08 1:10 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

afrdzak, did you apply to UCLA too right?

Feb 28, 08 1:12 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

yea

Feb 28, 08 1:13 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

I applied to UCLA,...but um...I had sort of recently got some weird feedback about it...something to teh effect that there brochure...as epic as it may appear, was not really backed up by the faculty or reality of the studio conditions.

anyone hear anything...?

Feb 28, 08 1:37 am  · 
 · 
EarlyPM

Congrats, Underground!

Thanks, afrdzak. Have you visited UBC? I went to Vancouver years ago and loved it, but I haven't been to the school yet. And you're right about the requirements.

Now I just have to cross my fingers that my husband gets a post-doc there. Or that something overlaps for us, somewhere. Anywhere! Yall think it's a nightmare waiting to hear from schools--just compound all that stress by two and you'll know what it's like to be living at my house.

Feb 28, 08 1:41 am  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Hey guys, school and superstition have forced me to shy away from this thread lately but I just wanted to pop in to say congratulations to you folks, EarlyPM, Underground, the UT people etc. And good luck to all the rest (yours are in the mail.)

Feb 28, 08 2:23 am  · 
 · 
minoho

Congrats Underground! UCLA is one of my top picks also. Did you receive your notification in the mail or by e-mail?

Feb 28, 08 7:52 am  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

yay underground! i too was accepted at UVA via phone call a few days ago. which i am very excited about! there are few more i'd love to hear from...but judging by their websites and other posts this seems pretty early to be hearing and i think it might be a long month of march ahead of us...

Feb 28, 08 9:20 am  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

anyone else trying to go to the open house on 3/31?

Feb 28, 08 9:21 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

well, i guess i'm not getting into UVA. shit.

Feb 28, 08 9:24 am  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

i wouldnt give up! hang in there, will. like i said, i think we have a long month ahead of us...

Feb 28, 08 9:39 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

we'll see.

Does anyone apply/go to Notre Dame anymore? What happened to that school?

Feb 28, 08 9:41 am  · 
 · 
A V

Also am I the only one here who applied to UW (seattle), Illinois Tech (chicago), or U. of Illinois??

These are kinda "safety" schools in that they seem less competive, but safety schools I'd still really like to go to.

Feb 28, 08 9:46 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

smith, im in the same boat as uva...funny thing is this would be like the 3rd time that school has rejected me (undergrad, transfer, and now grad)

Feb 28, 08 9:47 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

smith, im in the same boat as uva...funny thing is this would be like the 3rd time that school has rejected me (undergrad, transfer, and now grad)

Feb 28, 08 9:47 am  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

i just think its too early to consider yourself a "rejection." I'm no expert, but it ain't over until that letter comes in the mail...

Feb 28, 08 9:52 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

exactly! keep your hopes up. i didn't hear from pratt (for acceptance) until the very end of march last yr.

and my rejection was much later than that.

Feb 28, 08 9:54 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

hopes are 50% there, hello...were you a path a or b?

Feb 28, 08 10:00 am  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

A V, one of my coworkers did his m.arch at UW seattle and LOVED it. he has nothing but positive things to say about both the school and living in seattle, so i think that wouldn't be a bad choice at all. good luck!

Feb 28, 08 10:05 am  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

Path A

Feb 28, 08 10:19 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

what's your last name artichoke? maybe they're going alphabetically.

Feb 28, 08 10:20 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

i'm just kidding, slightly.

Feb 28, 08 10:20 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

asbuck,
that is crazy that you have applied there 3 times...?You portfolio was good... aint we are just gettiong started...

but I know you feel. I didn;t get so much as a waitlist last years, so i am way past bitter.

hahaha

Feb 28, 08 10:21 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

my thoughts are the phone calls are just a courtesy, perhaps nothing formal...just a heads up before the official letter. so hopefully what's happening is they're taking their time doing them... we at least know they've been spread out over three days so far...if they really wanted they could do them all in one batch. I know, im grasping here

Feb 28, 08 10:23 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

weeell, i didnt apply to the grad school 3 times...it went like this:

1) undergrad...Im a white male from the most affluent count in the state, and the second most affluent in the US...anything short of a 4.5 gpa wouldnt cut it

2) transfer...their arch school accepts less than 5 per year...out of 250-300 apps (funny thing is I was declined with a 3.8 in a good arch scholl vs. a girl i know who got in with a 3,0 in a liberal arts degree...BS)

3) grad school ... wait 'n see

bottom line is that Ive always wanted to go to that school, but its not an easy one to get into

Feb 28, 08 10:25 am  · 
 · 
A V

hmm does that mean I have better chances if I'm a Ukranian female??

Feb 28, 08 10:30 am  · 
 · 
dietc0ke

hey guys, first time posting. i am also applying for MArch programs this year. The anticipation is killing me.

But i wanted to comment on A V's interest in UW (Seattle). I did my undergrad there and had a lot of interaction with MArch students. They all loved it and i loved my experience too. UW is a good school in an amazing city with great resources (new digital lab, recently renovated building, and an amazing wood and metal shop). Plus, i have travelled around quite a bit and Seattle is one of the best citiies i've been too.

Feb 28, 08 10:31 am  · 
 · 
A V

I can also speak russian, does that help?!

I'm feeling like I needs lots of help right now!

Feb 28, 08 10:31 am  · 
 · 
A V

Yayyy! I've heard really great things about UW from about 3 people now. And I'm dying to go to the west coast. UW would be great, but SCI-Arc is till my top choice of the moment.

Feb 28, 08 10:32 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

yeah i know...but i just feel like UVA is that guy/girl in college you were always secretly obsessed with…the one in your Poli-sci class recitation; it’s the only reason you went, right? And then you two got drunk at a party one night. Well, UVA was drunk and you were not, so you pretended to be drunk and casually exchange numbers. She/he thought nothing of it, but your head nearly exploded so you went home to think about it so you wouldn’t get the bends.

But from there on out, every time your phone rings, your elbows shake and your heart slides down somewhere near your intestine as you reach for the phone and realize it’s just that girl your study physics with because she’s smart and ugly and you know you’ll never touch her.

That’s how I feel.

Feb 28, 08 10:32 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

haha, well thats how I feel about princeton...she's more my type...but way out of my leauge.

Feb 28, 08 10:34 am  · 
 · 
A V

smithwillb - next time you have another UVA fantasy, just imagine yourself making out with Thomas Jefferson instead. Thats how I picture UVA.

Feb 28, 08 10:35 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

that's kind of hot, i guess.

Feb 28, 08 10:35 am  · 
 · 
A V

hahah.. noooo thomas jefferson is not hot! That was supposed to make you feel better.

Feb 28, 08 10:36 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

of all the founding fathers, if i were gay, TJ'd be my man

Feb 28, 08 10:37 am  · 
 · 
A V

James K. Polk was by far the sexiest prez though.

Feb 28, 08 10:37 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

i might kiss anyone whose face is carved into a mountain.

Feb 28, 08 10:38 am  · 
 · 
ripomatic

like I said a few posts back, admission notifications were sent out by most schools over the course of a few weeks last year, for March 1 at least, and they didn't seem to go alphabetically, or by experience/inexperience. I really wouldn't worry at this point.

Feb 28, 08 10:39 am  · 
 · 
cou2

The wait seems to be making everyone tense ... so I figured I would giver everyone something to laugh at ... my portfolio. Well hopefully it's not that bad... but I really don't know. I only took one drawing class in college. Since then I have worked on my own to improve my drawing skills.

I'd be interested to hear what you arch/design guys think of my wannabe architect drawings of imaginary houses. I know that I probably should have included some other types of buildings in my portfolio - not just houses. But I felt most comfortable drawing houses - especially since I did residential construction work for a number of years. And I just like houses in general. I also threw in a few photos and some drawings I did in that class.

Well here it is: http://picasaweb.google.com/cmack2357/Portfolio

Feb 28, 08 10:57 am  · 
 · 
A V

Cou - don't be so hard on yourself! Your drawings are very lovely! Some are better than the drawings of some of the art student I went to school with. =]

Feb 28, 08 10:59 am  · 
 · 
boxy

can i ask you guys a question about UCLA's website? I went to check my admission status and it says that i haven't turned in any recs, transcripts, and the letter of recommendation. is it showing up the same way for you?

Feb 28, 08 11:00 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

I vote house 6 as most interesting... but im just sayin that cause its one of dem floatin'-ma-jigahs. Cool, welcome aboard, where are you applying?

Feb 28, 08 11:02 am  · 
 · 
A V

DJ - the same thing happened to me yesterday when I checked up on my status at UW. I called the school to ask them what was up and they told me not to worry, that they have everything, they just take a while updating the site. And also if you're missing anything, they will email you about it and let you know and most likely let you send it in late. Illinois tech didn't get my GRE scores for whatever reason so I had to send them in late and it was fine.

Feb 28, 08 11:04 am  · 
 · 
cou2

Oh yeah - view it in slide show format. The pictures are larger that way.

Even though I had a reprographics place scan in my drawings, they didn't all come out as good as the originals - to be expected. However they did a decent job - much better than Staples or Kinkos. If anyone lives near the Southern NH/Boston area I would highly recommend Nashua Reprographics - in Nashua NH.

Feb 28, 08 11:05 am  · 
 · 
EarlyPM

Hey A V, I also applied to UW at Seattle. My old roommate's boyfriend went there and had great things to say about it. And he's doing really well now at a great firm in SF.

Feb 28, 08 11:11 am  · 
 · 
A V

Yay! Its crazy how much I'm dying to go to the west coast. At this point I might even choose UW or SCI-Arc over Columbia and Yale. I've lived on the east coast for long enough. I'm really really sick of it!

Feb 28, 08 11:15 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Tanner, it's the same for me. Last update was 12/27/07.

Feb 28, 08 11:16 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

I dunno about the website , but they were sending me emails a few weeks ago listing thing I missed. you should call them

Feb 28, 08 11:35 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

A V , Sci Arc is my top pick also, I think. Good Luck!

Feb 28, 08 11:36 am  · 
 · 
cou2

asbuckeye - I applied to the GSD, RISD, Cornell, UMass and The BAC. I was going to apply to Princeton but I ran out of time. I would love to go to the GSD(unfortunately so does everyone else), but I'm definately not betting on it. The GSD seems like an awesome school with a great name & facilities. Plus Boston/Cambridge is a really cool area and I only live an hour from there right now.

I'd be really happy just getting into any one of the first three schools I mentioned. The last two are safety/low $$ schools - though from what I've heard they're pretty decent schools. At least I could make money working while at The BAC. Anyone know anything about UMass's program?

Where'd you apply? I'm sure if I scoured all the posts I could find out.

Feb 28, 08 11:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: