Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

snarkitekt

that's the gsd's zip code. clearly it means you are IN.

Feb 28, 08 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

whoops, reread that and realized you said 02318 not 02138. sorry, no gsd acceptance today.

Feb 28, 08 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

LOL

Feb 28, 08 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

The only reason I put down my parents info was because big name private schools require it for SOME of their scholarship/aid packages. FAFSA doesn't require it. The last 3 years of undergrad I didn't fill out that part because I was going to a state university. I can't remeber exactly what I did this time, but I think I was able to put down their info and still be considered independent...maybe...I should check.

Feb 28, 08 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
A V

yeah, also I didn't apply there so ...

that would be one really pleasant surprise. haha

Feb 28, 08 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
d.sull

To my understanding, for UCLA, the architecture department doesn't use the website to process application materials or admission status. I have not heard from UCLA M.Arch I and know that they have historically responded later than most other programs.

Feb 28, 08 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
futurist

Out-of-state tuition is going to hit me hard the first year if I get into the schools I want - and Grad students only get loans and fellowships usually.

Feb 28, 08 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

my fafsa application required a semen sample.

Feb 28, 08 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Asbuckeye - That grad cafe link was pretty intersting. I could comb over that thing obseessively if I had more time. But I'm at work and archinect takes up enough of my time already heheh.

I'll post it again for others:

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php

Feb 28, 08 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
A V

wow too many typos for me

Feb 28, 08 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
ks1000

thanks for the link. although as the month progresses, I see myself checking it way too often and working myself up

Feb 28, 08 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

yeah that site is great...looks like I should be hearing back from all my schools by around the 10th (nervous)

Feb 28, 08 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
ks1000

did you go back to look at the acceptance dates for '07?

Feb 28, 08 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

yeah, take a look here:

http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/indexold.php?DT=A&PL=Architecture

Feb 28, 08 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
d.sull

seems although most schools say april 1, that most people heard Mid March via phone call for some schools, and shortly thereafter with mail notifications. But the dates are fairly loose, and not everyone hears at the same time.

Feb 28, 08 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
ks1000

i'm equally excited and terrified now.

Feb 28, 08 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

OK so my transcripts never made it to 3 of my 6 schools. yay!

at least I know when they are looking at my application!

Feb 28, 08 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

Rip are you sure that was fafsa....

Feb 28, 08 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

I'm pretty sure. he was holding a sign, so I figured he had to be.

Feb 28, 08 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

We can trust in this webpage? I should receive the acceptance of Columbia in my birthday. That's not funny if I will not get in.

Feb 28, 08 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

Haha, yeah I was looking at that. The acceptance letters from Berkeley rolled around my birthday...

oy...

Feb 28, 08 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
MossMan

I received all my M.Arch acceptances around March 10-18 last year. It seemed that one came almost each day during that period. I made sure I rushed home to my mailbox everyday before heading to the gym! It's exciting!

Feb 28, 08 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
futurist

Nice. That is the timeframe I was thinking too...

Feb 28, 08 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
haano

MossMan - are you reapplying? or you are already in school?

Feb 28, 08 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
MossMan

Neither. I deferred. I'm enrolling for the Sept. '08 semester.

Feb 28, 08 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Pretty Curious,

I sent to Syracuse in the same package, the portfolio, two recommendation letters and transcripts.

Now, they responsed me that have the portfolio, but they missed the two recommendation letters and the transcripts.

!!

What the hell? Those recommendation letters I got in person in my university of Spain...

Feb 28, 08 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
A V

So.. about interviews... all of the schools I applied to are 300 miles away or across the country. Is it gonna hurt me if I didn't do any interviews. How did you guys go about doing them?

Feb 29, 08 9:53 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

none of my schools require one...are you sure yours do? 300 miles isnt too bad...road (road, funny word) trip :)

Feb 29, 08 9:57 am  · 
 · 
A V

oh phewww! I thought I was the only one not doing them for some reason.

Feb 29, 08 10:01 am  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

Can anyone refer me to a thread that is about the affect of the "recession" on architecture? or the economy and architecture, more in general?

More relevant to this post, is this a good or bad time to be returning to school? Good perhaps because it'll be a few years since I'll be looking for a job, but probably a bad time to be taking loans. Thoughts?

Feb 29, 08 10:18 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

hmmm, interesting ? . I work in residential arch in a veeeery affluent area of DC...if anything, we've been getting MORE work than normal. and all signs point towards that continuing. I think if you're in a high-design firm that business will continue because people feel more comfortable with your work as opposed to if you were a less consistent designer.

Feb 29, 08 10:24 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

Helloarti-
I would look at Adorno, Tafuri , Delanda, and Deleuze if you want to look at Capitalism and Architecture. As for causal economics, Issue #5 of PRAXIS ( Journal), might be a good place to start. ....but Your question probably deserves its own thread.

As for going to school, now...I think it is a good question...I wonder if we all are capable of evaluating this? many here have the usual personal reasons..but who's to say when is best. Id be curious as to what you access? Good Question.

Feb 29, 08 10:28 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

I asked similar questions a while back...

http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=67355_0_42_0_C

Feb 29, 08 10:29 am  · 
 · 
A V

Just got an acceptance email to Illinois Tech in Chicago!!!!!! YAYAYAYAY!

1 down / 8 to go

Feb 29, 08 10:57 am  · 
 · 
dotdotdot

yay congrats AV!! how did they notify you?

Feb 29, 08 11:01 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

congrats!!!

Feb 29, 08 11:02 am  · 
 · 
A V

It looks a little something like this:

"You have been accepted as an esteemed member of the graduate program in IIT’s College of Architecture to pursue the Master of Architecture professional degree (M.Arch. Program 3, 103 credits) beginning with the Fall 2008 semester. Expect to study a minimum of six semesters (three academic years). Your admission materials are impressive and we encourage you to join us in our pursuit of bold ideas and projects, all part of the IIT legacy of forward-looking invention. We will be sending your official letter of admission within the coming weeks. "

Feb 29, 08 11:02 am  · 
 · 
A V

thanks guys! good luck to all of you!

Feb 29, 08 11:03 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

thats cool!...will you go there?

Feb 29, 08 11:05 am  · 
 · 
A V

Well I still have to see where else I hear from. And how gives me the best offer in terms of scholarships etc..

But if I get rejected from everywhere else, I will definitely go there.

Feb 29, 08 11:08 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

hey A V .. congratz! have you been to Crown hall before? going to school in chicago, sans the cold, would be wicked

Feb 29, 08 11:08 am  · 
 · 
A V

I've never been but I've seen many photos and its very lovely! I would love to go there. And the new Rem Koolhaas additions are a nice little bonus as well. But yeah... the cold...

Feb 29, 08 11:09 am  · 
 · 
EarlyPM

Congrats, AV!

Feb 29, 08 11:11 am  · 
 · 
chopsky

damn, I havent received an email from IIT yet :-/
*scared*
A V, when did you send your application in?

Feb 29, 08 11:15 am  · 
 · 
chopsky

oh, and congrats :)

Feb 29, 08 11:15 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

oh so that is like #8 on you list?

Feb 29, 08 11:16 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

A V .. the Rem building's ok...nothing spectacular (it's planning/connection to camus, sorta, and connections to the adjacent meis building, and shifts between outside/inside courtyards/private space/pathways are all very cool). But yeah, the IIT has a very cool/weird german/classical feel to it.

Feb 29, 08 11:20 am  · 
 · 
jazz32x

buckeye... what are of DC do you work in? or rather what area is your client base in? nova suburbs? DC itself? I do Res and we're based in DC... no sign of recession for our niche.

Feb 29, 08 11:23 am  · 
 · 
A V

I sent my application in literally the day before it was due. I overnighted it with fed ex. Don't worry I'm sure they just have tons of stuff to go through!

Asbuckeye- I think I'll be taking a trip out there at the end of March to go look around. I'm sure all of us will be taking a couple weeks off work and doing school tours soon! Yay!

Feb 29, 08 11:25 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

jazz, I work for hamilton snowber arch. we do residential, primarily, in woodley park (where we're based), cleveland park, palisades, chevy chase, georgetown (sometimes), alexandria, arlington, bethesda, even michigan and boston (wherever we can get work). Nova suburbs is actually where im living currently...horrible. Where're you guys at? I guess rich people will always have money, and will always build.

A V, know whatcha mean. The main reason I hope I get into all my schools is so I have an excuse to take multiple road trips!

Feb 29, 08 11:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: