Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

asbuckeye07

oooh i see. well congratz on your acceptance!

Feb 27, 08 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Just got an email from Pratt. They want my transcripts from Spain evaluated by WES. You know how it works?

And they requested me the TOEFL score that I sent a week ago....

What The Fuck!

Feb 27, 08 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

CONGRATS LAURIAN

Feb 27, 08 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
A V

All of you who are not from an architecture background - what IS your background?? What did you put in your portfolio?

Feb 27, 08 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

asbuckeye07, thanks man. I don't mean to seem standoffish, but I'm really reluctant to post my stuff, at least until I hear from all of my schools.

AV.
I have a BA in Psych from Tufts ('04). My work experience in college was pretty finance oriented. After graduating I was a producer at an Ad agency.

My portfolio was about 50% photography, 25% fine arts (I've had some training, and I've always been a painter) and 25% small conceptual projects.

Feb 27, 08 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

completely understandable...I posted mine awhile back, and was immediately like "shit, was that bad". But it doesnt really bother me, I mean 95% of architecture is about copying anyways

Feb 27, 08 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

in undergrad i did Journalism, Piano, Dramatic Writing.

My portfolio was tabbed in two parts.

Part 1 was a full-length play
Part 2 was poster design and GSAPP summer stuff.

Feb 27, 08 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

asbuck, maybe schools pick the best non-archs out of the batch first...

lemme guess all you non - archs that already got phone calls, ....got like 800 on you GREs, right?

Feb 27, 08 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

that's for damn sure. look at Philip Johnson, the biggest thief and most audacious hack in history.

Feb 27, 08 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

<i bet you got plenty of sleep all throughout your undergrad too>

Feb 27, 08 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

um, ff33, I wish that were the case...but of the three I heard got calls from uva, one was an arch-background. there's till hope, and Im not too worried at this point.

philip johnson...you either love 'em or hate 'em...he mightve been sorta "hackish" on a surface level...but i still think he was a genius. he just happened to be interested in architecture thats only interested in itself.

Feb 27, 08 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

rip,

That is right about Johnson,...first he did the tour ro Europe in thr 30's and wrote a book called International Style,..then in the late 80s, he was putting his name on the decon movement as well.

Feb 27, 08 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
FLAK_DTRT

I heard a rumor that UCLA doesn't require you to do a thesis. Is this true? If so, what are your thoughts on projects requiring a thesis vs. those against it...

Feb 27, 08 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
FLAK_DTRT

*replace "projects" with "schools"

Feb 27, 08 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

rip - i agree with you.

after reading part of the edifice complex, i really don't like him at all. it's hard to have respect for him.

Feb 27, 08 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

you guys arent paying attention to his buildings...just cause they're "ugly"

Feb 27, 08 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

also, ive been trying to read that edifice complex...anyone else who's read it find it as dull as me? there just havent been any "ah ha!' moments...just obvious statements about architecture's power and power's influence on arch (ooooh, large buildings are intimidating? really?)

Feb 27, 08 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

i couldn't get through it. i had to return it to the library.

i mean, i did learn several things i didn't know. i think the most interesting part had to do with what some of these "leaders" did and the architects connected to them.

but, overall, i just couldn't get into it like i hoped.

i went and visited the university of houston - and his copy of ledoux is very lacking.

Feb 27, 08 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

*philip johnson's

Feb 27, 08 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

yeah it was a great concept...then a great letdown... but I havent got to the PJ part yet

Feb 27, 08 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
EarlyPM

Yay! Accepted to University of British Columbia today, via DHL.

Feb 27, 08 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Thats cool Early.

Feb 27, 08 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

DHL...what'd they deliver you an acceptance toaster oven ("toaster oven" avatar shout out..where you at playa?)

congratz though!

Feb 27, 08 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

congrats early!

Feb 27, 08 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
EarlyPM

No toaster oven, unfortunately. Mine's broken.

Under the "contents" section they wrote "brochure and information." Sneaky.

Feb 27, 08 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

Do you think they cut us non arch applicants a little slack with the portfolio? All that CAD stuff and projects you arch guys had in your portfolios is pretty impressive. I've fooled around a bit with AutoCAD and Google SketchUp, but I'm not really that proficient. Sure, I did pretty good on the GRE being a math major and a decent writer - but isn't the portfolio much more important?

Feb 27, 08 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
A V

cou - I am also not an arch major but I would advise you to really brush up on some cad and maybe some 3d modeling programs. You'll be surprised how necessary they'll become to you. I wouldn't have a job right now without knowing that stuff.

But yes I hope they do cut us some slack. My portfolio included about 6 architecture/urban design projects and the rest was woodworking, photography, and animation stuff.

Feb 27, 08 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

of course...but my theory is you guys have to have better grades..

and...I think they are pretty smart about evaluating your creativity.

frankly, they don't want someone with CAD in there portfolio anyway....they like someone they can mold.

Feb 27, 08 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

A V. did you show us your portfolio yet?

Feb 27, 08 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Nope I dont' have it online yet. Only in print. I should do some uploading...

Feb 27, 08 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

ff33...I dont know bout where you went to arch school...but at osu, it seemed liked everyone got a B. I mean it was REALLY hard to get a's...but just as hard to get c's.. I mean I saw someone make a concept model that was a 12" triangle with basswood sticks and get a B...that should be a crime

Feb 27, 08 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

in general, if you are equating CAD software with Architectural skill...think again. If you have no Arch background...then don't sweat it...just keep on writing poetry or painting or whatever it is you do.

Once you get in ,...you can then decide to go to teh summer prepe programs , ...of which some will prepare you for all the software stuff.

or if you want , go learn SU because it is easy..
or learn the real deal - RHINO

Feb 27, 08 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Upload to googlepages.com we want to take a look :)

Feb 27, 08 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

asbuck,
I know what you mean...

I was immersed in a world of mediocrity at my school... I considered myself the exception.... I got all A's in studio and Theory Classes, but...you are right...they mainly doled out "B's"

Feb 27, 08 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

rhino's pretty easy

Feb 27, 08 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Just download Rhinoceros v.4.0 I will start to design something soon.

May be I will use to develop something of my capstone. The urban planning of a luxury coastal zone. 79.000m2 -- 850.000ft2

Feb 27, 08 6:44 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I recommend the rubber duck!

It is a tutorial ...

Feb 27, 08 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

"I recommend the rubber duck!" ... thats what she said

god, im bored

Feb 27, 08 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

woohooo congrats on the early acceptances!

sorry, i havent been around.. i've been super busy with school :/

Feb 27, 08 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

that's awesome EarlyPM, UBC is a nice school. Strict requirements though.

Feb 27, 08 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I recommend the rubber duck too

Feb 27, 08 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
SC81

Hey thanks for the replies about UT yall.

I'm another non-arch background guy. Got my B.S. at Ithaca in TV/Film audio production and did that for 2 years before I decided I needed to explore the other profession I was passionate about - architecture. Moved back to my hometown of Boston and started going to BAC - gone there for three full semesters, but trying to get into UT where my gf just started her own grad school.

I put my 1st professional arch program portfolio together with four projects from my first 2 studios, other drawing/3D classes, and projects from the arch firm I worked at for 9 months. I feel good about the portfolio. I know most 1st prof portfolios are people's non-arch paintings, designs, other art. I'm hoping my arch work at BAC and my 9 months at a firm with some good recommendations will put me over the top, but who knows.

Anyone else tried to pull off something like this? Ha!

Feb 28, 08 12:36 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Where is your portfolio to review?

Feb 28, 08 12:43 am  · 
 · 
Underground

Got accepted to UCLA!! It's been my dream to be a Bruin. Now I have to wait for 8 more decisions. Not a bad school to start it off if you ask me.

Feb 28, 08 12:43 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Underground congratulations! which program did you apply? It is the first acceptance in a Top School.

Feb 28, 08 12:48 am  · 
 · 
Underground

Thanks! MArchI, first professional degree program. This is my first year to apply and this is my first acceptance. Still wondering when the next email from UCLA is coming in saying "Just kidding!" or "We made a mistake..."

Feb 28, 08 12:50 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Shit that's wonderful. Which is your background?

Feb 28, 08 12:51 am  · 
 · 
Underground

3D animation from the Art Institute of California which is in Santa Monica

Feb 28, 08 12:56 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

UCLA sending out letters already? I'm surprised.

Feb 28, 08 12:57 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I know the Art Institute of California. I have seen several pop-ups in my browser. hahaha. And I passed by the door in the summer 2005 when I was living in L.A., actually in westwood, the buildings just crossing the street parallel to the campus housing.

Good for you man.

Feb 28, 08 1:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: