Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

asbuckeye07

because you guys take cool looking pictures of weird things in black and white and add an obscure quote next to it... and then get accepted to an arch school. haha, completely kidding

Feb 26, 08 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

asbuck,
thats pretty much it...HAHA

also, the fact that we Arch majors have averaged dozen of all-nighters per semester, tortured ourselves through so many juried reviews, and suffered through demeaning entry level intern positions that don't pay.

an now we get to go and sit next to Artists and scupltor that haven;t developed any cynicsm about the industry yet.

Feb 26, 08 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

aaah, they'll get their fill...everyone does. just consider yourself lucky that you're going to know what to expect

Feb 26, 08 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

i know, i am just being a jerk to pass the time...

Feb 26, 08 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
jazz32x

sorry... didn't know about this thread yesterday. but yes. acceptance call from UVA on 2/25. M. Arch - path B. letters go out "end of this week and should arrive next week". for whomever did the research on last years threads... any ideas on timeline for Columbia and/or Sciarc?

Feb 26, 08 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
SC81

question for Snark and Smith, congrats on UT btw - When did you guys send in your Texas apps? I sent mine pretty close to the deadline - I'm just curious/going crazy about when I'm gonna hear from 'em...

Feb 26, 08 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl

ha ha, i just popped in to say, great screenname, NFM!

honk honk!

Feb 26, 08 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
brer

Lets get a grip here. Its out of our hands at this point, right? So whats the point of the worrying and the insecurity? Should we also spend all night awake thinking about the impending nuclear Armageddon? We're making our collective blood pressure go up with the incessant worying.

And a note to 2009 M.Arch applicants-

Don't apply to 10 schools. Its a waste of everyone's time and if you can't narrow it down to 2 or maybe 3 you might as well draw names out of a hat. And really, whats the use of a "safety school"? School is expensive, time consuming, and sets at least a portion of the agenda for your career. If that means you have to take another year and work in a job and improve your application packet, then so be it! Whats the rush to get in and get it over as fast as possible?

Feb 26, 08 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
ha_no

ff33º - i've never formally studied architecture.. i guess that makes me your enemy. but then again i've been working at an architectural office for about a year now...

Feb 26, 08 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

have you ever stayed up all night on a project?...er, or do you have a naive preconception about the profession?

Feb 26, 08 9:17 pm  · 
 · 
ha_no

i often spend 100< hr/wk at the firm my friend. i was lucky enough to get hooked up with a job at a mid-sized firm that's been giving me actual work to do.. i sure didn't go through juried reviews.. but "demeaning entry level intern positions that don't pay"? that's exactly what im going through

Feb 26, 08 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
A V

ff33 - I think many of us here have had countless all-nighters on projects. Thats not really a special privilege of only architecture undergrads...

Feb 26, 08 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Architecture school isn't about all-nighters and developing cynicism towards the industry. We got to study what we love for an extra (unnecessary) four years. No need to be bitter towards the non-arch folks for that.

Feb 26, 08 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

oh , i am kiddin with you guys..my apologies. you're right.

Feb 26, 08 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

hey jazz-

could you clarify...are you saying letters will go out at the end of this week..as a general statement? or just for uva?

Feb 26, 08 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

hey jazz-

could you clarify...are you saying letters will go out at the end of this week..as a general statement? or just for uva?

Feb 26, 08 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

..also, Jazz,...it is customary to post your portfolio, perhaps list your schools

Feb 26, 08 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
jazz32x

Columbia
Sci-Arc
USC
UVA

Pref in that order... B Arch undergrad at UVA... apps went in mid-december...

My statement regarding the admissions only in reference to the UVA acceptance call. sorry for the confusion. I was congratulated, told official letters would be sent at then end of this week to arrive next week (3/3 - 3/7), and open house is 3/31.

I'll try and post a portfolio upon return home...

Feb 26, 08 11:02 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

so jazz, do all people who're in at uva get a call? or is there still hope for me in a white envelope later this week?

Feb 26, 08 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

interesting choices.

can't belive teh open house is that soon?!

Good Luck.

Feb 26, 08 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
A V

So I got really freaked out because I hadn't turned my financial aid stuff on time. It seems that the only schools that I've applied to that even have deadlines for that and special financial aid application forms are Yale and Columbia. All other schools just expect you do the fafsa and thats it. Am I missing something?

Feb 26, 08 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
jazz32x

As much as I'd like to think that Thomas Jefferson himself was so impressed that he felt the need to call just me.. I would guess that they give everyone a call... but I really have no idea. There was one other person (path A) on my original thread from yesterday that said they got the call as well... don't know what to tell you except: good luck & see brer's comment above regarding stress... ?

Feb 26, 08 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

nope, no stress. wasnt really expecting to get in anyways (my portfolio doesnt align well with their design methodology).

Feb 26, 08 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
jazz32x

AV; I would double check on that... each of my schools provided/required at least a minimal fin-aid form.

FYI For Columbia I sent their specific form in by the 2/12 deadline and just the other day sent in FAFSA. back in January to make sure (since their date is way too soon to reasonably expect 2007 1040 info) I called Columbia to ask about their form and was told that 2006 1040 form was sufficient and that FAFSA would cover 2007. maybe thats obvious to others...

Feb 26, 08 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
jazz32x

ah I understand. you don't like red VA brick and white columns.

Feb 26, 08 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

shame on you jazz. if you went to UVA undergrad, you know the a-school has about as much to do with the lawn as it does with macrobiotics.

actually, less. way less.

Feb 26, 08 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

asbuck,
I am not sure "no call yet" means the worst....I know that there are phases at most of these schools. i.e. they have scoring method and decide on different groups of applicants..,I think you had a good chance, but maybe you didn't get the notice yet....

Feb 26, 08 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

btw, All people that got calls already are my enemy.

Feb 26, 08 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
jazz32x

yes yes yes. I know. joking of course.

ff33 - I went way back in the thread... very nice portfolio. also liked Shapiro's a lot (??? South Africa, photography).

Feb 27, 08 12:17 am  · 
 · 
jazz32x

Appreciated seeing some of yours... as is fair here's mine... good luck in the last few weeks of waiting.

http://www.ko-ao.com/2007-Optimized

Feb 27, 08 1:06 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

nice portfolio jazz...

highlights what I meant by mine "not lining up" though...nothing to do with va red brick or white columns. My undergrad profs would've thrown me off the roof, through the oculous (yes, we had an oculous), if we put construction details in a portfolio. Yeah, details, thaaaats a novel idea for a building

Feb 27, 08 8:00 am  · 
 · 
ff33Āŗ

jazz,
that tower is cool, nice portfolio.

Feb 27, 08 9:32 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

are those legos on the back pages?

Feb 27, 08 9:49 am  · 
 · 
jazz32x

thanks all. yes Legos indeed. albeit unrelated to my projects, singlehandedly the largest reason for my career choice.

Feb 27, 08 9:54 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

i'd just like to say that i don't know where you guys are getting your information on regarding michigan's acceptance rate. i was on the graduate admissions review committee at michigan, for 2G rather than 3G. we had around 400 applications. about 140 get in. on a big year they'll have as many as 500. note that there are about 500 students in the entire school. standard operating procedure is usually to accept around twice as many as you need, and then around half show up. so that is more like around 30% that acceptance letters, with 15% attending. michigan does have a higher acceptance rate than some schools, but considering the faculty, the student work, and the facilities, it is hardly a "safety" school that you should only go to if you get into another school. it was my first choice in fact, after visiting uva, penn, rice, etc. as i recall there was a huge NO pile on my desk filled with portfolios from talented students. the biggest complaint that most people have about UM is just that some of the technology professors aren't as good as they used to be. but it's definitely a serious program, and has been steadily improving every year since tom buresh took over.

Feb 27, 08 10:24 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

it's on their website.

Feb 27, 08 10:28 am  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

hey nice f*n model - thanks. my application got to austin on january 9th (i've still got my usps tracking number, heh). i was really surprised to hear from them so soon, i know some last year got acceptances from them as late as the third week of march.

Feb 27, 08 10:31 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

i think i turned mine in on the 10th or something.

Feb 27, 08 10:32 am  · 
 · 
ripomatic

I got an acceptance call from UVA this morning. Path A

I'm very happy.

Feb 27, 08 10:33 am  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

congrats rip and jazz on your great news from uva!

Feb 27, 08 10:47 am  · 
 · 
A V

Congratulations all you UVA acceptees! Thats awesome. Makes me wish I applied there so I could already know something by now!!

Feb 27, 08 10:47 am  · 
 · 
ks1000

judging from last year's discussion Columbia sent out decisions as early as March 19th and the GSD, March 12th.
Perhaps the email about acceptances coming only after April 1st was simply a way of deterring people from calling and nagging about decisions. I sure hope we don't have to wait till April. I guess I'm just trying to put a positive spin on the little news i've heard.

Feb 27, 08 10:51 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

F! i wish they'd call people who got denied too so i'd know!

Feb 27, 08 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

has anyone know more about UT Austin decisions? aside from snark and smith, I haven't heard a thing.

I'm sure you've all done the same, but I was looking through last years thread and it seemed like decisions were coming in much later, and were all spread over a 1,2 or 3 week period.

Feb 27, 08 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

yay! you guys probably haven't heard of it, but i got a big fat acceptance letter in the mail from lawrence tech university up in detroit!

i was shocked to hear back so soon. i submitted all of my app. stuff towards the end of january.

kind of a relief to know something.

Feb 27, 08 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

congrats laurilan! now you can relax a little :)

Feb 27, 08 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

Hey Rip - is UVA your first choice? Where else did you apply?

Feb 27, 08 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

the list, in no order:

UVA, GSD, Wash U, UT-Austin, Yale

I don't really have a first choice....each of the schools has its own particular set of strengths, so they all appeal to me equally in different ways.

If I get into any other schools, I'm just going to have to visit them and see where I get the best vibe ($ will also play a role, but I won't go to a school based on dolla billz alone)

Feb 27, 08 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

hey rip...can I see your portfolio so i can make myself feel better (or worse) about not receiving a uva phone call yet?

Feb 27, 08 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

I think we're in different boats though - I don't have an arch background.

Feb 27, 08 2:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: