Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

asbuckeye07

i've always liked yale's...again simple. so simple it doesnt even have an application

Feb 25, 08 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I agree that. YSOA website is really cool.

Feb 25, 08 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

Can't figure out which school I like more - Cornell or RISD. Any thoughts? RISD is only about 2 hours from me... Cornell is about 7. From Cornell's web site I couldn't really tell what the status of their accreditaion was - kinda confussing. But I applied anyway. Cornell has a top notch engineering school, and I wonder if there is any carry over into their arch program. That stuff kinda interests me - I almost applied to arch/structural engineering programs instead. I guess if I don't get into the schools I want I could try for that next time. Both schools have relatively small arch programs. RISD seemed to be more about students discovering things on their own - a lot of focus on creativity and arts.

Feb 25, 08 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

yeah, based on cornell's sketchiness with its accreditation (which is why i didnt apply), I'd say RISD. I've heard great things about RISD..probably cant go wrong there. Cornell seems more like a gamble. My opinion.

Feb 25, 08 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Ughhhh. So several architects at my firm are discouraging me from going through with the M.Arch. They say if they knew what they know now they would never go into architecture in the first place. Is anyone else experiencing this? (I'm still gonna go of course!)

Feb 25, 08 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

how depressing

Feb 25, 08 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

and what is it they know now that they didn't before?

· 
smithwillb

um, what do they know now?

· 
asbuckeye07

that they're cynical a-holes?

Feb 25, 08 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

i hear the same shit from everyone. Lawyers, esp.

Feb 25, 08 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

i hear from alot of architects, the ones that dont hate their lives, that grad school was the best time of their life

Feb 25, 08 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Well one particular woman at work told me to go into business or development instead. She says the hours you work and the little money you make is just not worth it compared to how much time and money you have to put into grad school. It is really depressing! I'm not letting her get to me. I see many other people in the office who are very happy with what they're doing.

Feb 25, 08 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

that's what i plan on doing.

going to get my M.arch

then i'm going to Columbia or MIT for their 1-year MRES program.

end of story.

Feb 25, 08 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

if you like money, get into business or development. if you realize that there's more to life than that, stick with architecture. no offense, but this is something you probably should know at this point....otherwise you're in for a hellish ride

Feb 25, 08 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

A V
I am familiar with that cynicism. I think the cost of tuition , the reality of your work environment, and the lessons of the "business end" can weigh heavily on this as a career choice.

Yet , also, dont forget that it is an exciting time to be studying Architecture. there are so many advances in materials, technology, BIM, form-making, etc...that you should have plenty of reasons other than appeaseing your mentors, in deciding to go to school.

Most here do as well, I am sure.

Feb 25, 08 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
A V

I definitely have my reasons for going to architecture school and I'm well aware of the reasons that people try to discourage me from doing so. I was just curious if all of you also work with people who seem to regret their jobs and their choices.

Feb 25, 08 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

of course. everyone regrets their job and career choices; it doesn't matter what industry you're in.

Feb 25, 08 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

she is right in a sense. if you're going to an ivy or something out of state, student loans are going to be high. you will be putting a large chunk of your (not huge) paycheck towards it.

with that said, i already have a significant amount of debt and don't find it to be overwhelming... most of the time.

it all depends on your expenses. if you need a new car and a big house and designer clothes, yeah, being an architect might not really be the right direction for you (unless you marry rich).

all in all if you think you'll be happy with what you're doing, then you probably will! positive thinking!

now if i could just think positive about the waiting we're doing. that's really not happening right now.

Feb 25, 08 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Well, its definitely not fun working with people who try to convince you that all the time and engery you just spent on applications was a mistake... sooo lets get positive guys! I am personally so very excited about all of this!

Feb 25, 08 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

av - do you work at a large or small office?

Feb 25, 08 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
A V

medium, about 100 people

Feb 25, 08 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

i wonder if that has anything to do with it.

when i worked at a larger office (around 400-500 people in mult. offices), they didn't even have any idp stuff in place. there was no encouragement to better yourself educationally and a lot of people were able to move up without being liscensed/having your march, etc.

but the two smaller firms i've worked at were/are very understanding/encouraging of education. i've been able to take classes, have my leep ap test paid for, boss knows about plans to go to grad school - might even be talks of tuition payment for returning to work there.

just my experience. anyone else out there with similar/different?

Feb 25, 08 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I , personally, would never be interested in working in an office like that., for precisely those reasons. I mean I am sure you are learning a lot, but a boutique firm will care more about you. Good mentors will look out for you .

Feb 25, 08 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

ive been told that working in a big office is sort of a must do, at least once in your life. I'll probably "do my time" in one right out of grad school...get IDP outta the way, then move on. Personally I prefer the small office dynamic...there's really not much of anything wrong with it.

Feb 25, 08 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
la_la

i work at a smaller office [4 architects, 5 designers/interns] my bosses are very supportive about school/education - they won't give me any $ for tuition, but they are good mentors about it.
Its kind of a duality here though on a professional learning level: yes be a LEED AP, yes take your ARE's, yes learn Revit... but no we won't give you any money for it, or compensate you for test fees.... but there are study groups with beer. I guess at a larger firm there might be more of a financial support system - don't some firms pay for the ARE's? I guess there's always trade offs.

Feb 25, 08 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

wow! i thought i was working at a medium-sized office when i was at a 35 person firm - guess it's all relative.

i work at a very small firm (8 people), and they've all had overwhelmingly positive things to say about their m.arch experiences as well as their choice to pursue design. they've been really supportive of my decision to go back to school, although my boss isn't exactly thrilled that i'm leaving.

it's true that grad school is very very (very) expensive, and that architecture as a profession is pretty universally characterized by long hours and sub-standard compensation, but if you're passionate about design and you find a work environment where you can really exercise that passion, it's probably mostly worth it. if you're not truly passionate about design or if your work is really low on your list of lifestyle priorities, then yes, grad school is probably not worth the time and expense. don't let your coworkers get you down, a v - just because the m.arch wasn't worth it to them doesn't mean you won't get an amazing amount for your efforts.

Feb 25, 08 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

i wonder where most of them went.

Feb 25, 08 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I guess it all depends on the firm. The very large firm I work for pays for a ton of career developement, including M.arch. Any one know of other firms that will do so much?

Feb 25, 08 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

For me, getting an march is less about money/career status as it is a way into the wider debate of architecture; it won't make you rich but it will enrich your career, plug you into a network of people who get to think about stuff and be on/close to the newest & most exciting stuff... I think the chance at that is the important payoff. I think getting in is not the last step in the process, it's kind of the first step in a 3.5 year admissions process...

Feb 25, 08 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I Just saw a video of Bruce Shapiro. He does wonderful staff!! I encourage you to take a look. Google him

Feb 25, 08 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
A V

Hey everyone - where did you guys go for undergrad? Any non-architecture majors?

Feb 26, 08 10:25 am  · 
 · 
karchitect

This is for the guy who submitted a portfolio consisting only of photos of how he arranged furniture in his house: you didn't get in. I won't say which East Coast school. The painting above the bed was kind of nice, but considering that you didn't paint it, but only took a picture of it... we're going to pass this time.

Feb 26, 08 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

that's funny.

Feb 26, 08 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
A V

karchitect - do you work for admissions for this East Coast school? what other kind of stuff are you seeing? good / bad? hehe i wanna hear more funny ones!

Feb 26, 08 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

but karch...the photos were in black and white... I thought that made me artsy?

Feb 26, 08 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

karch?,

aw man!,...you didn't like my portfolio? i thought you could appreciate my arrangement skills ...oh well,maybe next year

Feb 26, 08 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

how about the baddass portfolio with the cougar on the front (mine)...do i have to ask? in right?

Feb 26, 08 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

this is for the guy who submitted a portfolio consisting only of paw prints that his gerbil made after he dipped it in finger paint and got it stoned: you didn't get in. I won't say which East Cost school, but we already know how to smoke up a gerbil and allow it to explore it's creativity.

Feb 26, 08 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

list of people who are bored at work today:

smithwillb
A V
asbuckeye07
ff33
ripomatic

Feb 26, 08 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
A V

hahaha very true.

Feb 26, 08 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
karchitect

I don't work there, but was shown a few portfolios over the weekend. To the woman who wrote her essay in pirate-talk - you didn't get in either. In general, most of the portfolios were very impressive. Seems like this is a very competitive year. Don't expect to hear anything for another couple of weeks, though. And NO, I won't tell you which school, so you'll just have to suffer. heh

Feb 26, 08 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

yeah im switching between this wonderful convo we're having and facebook scrabble game with my coworker...productive day. are they done deciding yet?

Feb 26, 08 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
karchitect

I'm serious about the essay in pirate-talk, by the way.

Feb 26, 08 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

to the woman who wrote her essay in english: how pedestrian.

Feb 26, 08 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

rrrrrrrr you going to tell us more?

· 
asbuckeye07

yeah, try klingon next time

· 
ripomatic

*refresh* > GO TO BOTTOM. click.

Feb 26, 08 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

ncie try, karchitech.

You go to Berkeley.

Feb 26, 08 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

karchitech. Which portfolio are you talking about?

Feb 26, 08 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

I had a dream last night that I got accepted into Berkeley.

Feb 26, 08 12:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: