Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

ff33º

yeah, in case anyone forgot, most of the Fin Aid Supplemental Apps for schools are due right about now...some school ask that teh FAFAS be filled out by Feb15th , etc.

what a pain huh?...filling out forms for school BEFORE acceptance letters

Feb 21, 08 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

FAFSA...does that apply to scholarships (for intl students) as well ?

Feb 21, 08 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

!!!

apparently i can't complain about waiting anymore. just got accepted to ut austin via email!

Feb 21, 08 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

sweeeet man, congrats...thats a bigtime program. I hope that means ill be hearing back from uva sometime soon.

Feb 21, 08 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
la_la

congrats snarkitekt!

Feb 21, 08 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

congrats man

Feb 21, 08 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

very nice! I remember that you have a strong portfolio.

Feb 21, 08 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

i just got an acceptance email from TEXAS.

yes!

2 down 8 to go!

Feb 21, 08 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

i mean 9 more to go. yikes.

Feb 21, 08 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

congrats snark and smith!!

woooo, everyones on a roll. this thread is nothing but good news ;) i'm lovin it

Feb 21, 08 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
gradapp07

hey everyone,

so it turns out that my rec didnt send a rec letter I have 2 that definetly were sent but the third is missing. At this point i feel like just calling the schools, apologizing, and asking them to please review the application without the third recommendation. What do you guys think?

Feb 22, 08 1:52 am  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

It would be better to acknowledge the short coming in your application and request that it's still reviewed (as opposed to hoping the third letter will pass under the radar because I’d be surprised if it did.)

I think your best bet would be to get a hold of that third recommender as soon as possible and secure your third later (if that's still an option.)

Ultimately a late letter is going to help you more than a non-existent one, and if your third recommender agreed to do it then its extremely unprofessional behavior to be so late with something so important.

Feb 22, 08 2:07 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

people who agree to write a recommendation but then flake are right up there with this guy:

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/3699/coolmodivatepg0.jpg

Feb 22, 08 7:04 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

congrats to you guys getting into texas! hope this might be the start of lots of good news!

Feb 22, 08 8:11 am  · 
 · 
gradapp07

i do get in touch with him...and he says, "dont worry, i have them done I will send them out tomorrow." Then he doesnt and so I ask again and he says, "Dont worry, i will call the schools and let them know that I am sending the letter." Then he doesnt send the letters and says, "they told me that I can fax them the letter, and send a hard copy to follow." then he doesnt then and so forth...

Feb 22, 08 8:32 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

schmuck

Feb 22, 08 9:39 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

Di you guys think having the requisite LoR ((3) is important?

Feb 22, 08 9:40 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Sometime ago I sent an email worrying by my GRE to SCI-Arc, and here is the response:

" ... Within
the admissions process, the GRE score is not considered to be one of the
most important factors. The portfolio is probably the most important part of
your application, followed by letters of recommendation and your personal
statement. I assure you that we receive a wide range of GRE scores, and that
if the rest of your documents are strong, your GRE score will not make or
break your application ..."

Letters of Recommendation are importants

Feb 22, 08 10:24 am  · 
 · 
A V

Soooo whats everyones top choice school of the moment?

Feb 22, 08 10:59 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

In Order of Preference:

Columbia
UVA
Cornell
Texas
WashU
Clemson
Florida
Virginia Tech
Mich
UPenn
NCState

Feb 22, 08 11:04 am  · 
 · 
cou2

Just finished my fafsa online... took less than an hour ... wish my school applications were that easy? This wait is almost as stressful as the application process - well, not as bad. Going out to check the mail in a few ... probably won't get any letters yet - but maybe a couple of bills.

Feb 22, 08 11:47 am  · 
 · 
conormac

I totally submitted the FAFSFA on the 17th, two days late.

I'm not going to get any money.

I think I remember someone saying that there is an additional $50k charge for submitting late.

f*ck.

Feb 22, 08 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

Smith, you've applied to 11 schools?? Damn, I am in awe. I applied to U Penn too - what do you think of Philly? everything's brown, but it's cheap and relatively cool...

Feb 22, 08 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

yeah. 11 schools. It wasn't that bad, and i even got half of them to pay for the application fee.

I've never been to Philadelphia, but i constantly hear good things about it. As far as UPenn goes, i would only go if i got some crazy financial aid; otherwise, i'd pick a public school.

Feb 22, 08 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
EarlyPM

Congrats SmithWillB and Snarkitekt! Must be nice to have good news so early--takes the pressure off a bit.

Were you applying for a first professional M. Arch or ? I haven't received an email from Austin so I'm wondering if that means it's a big fat "no." I imagine they just generate a mass e-mailing.

Feb 22, 08 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

I'm an M.arch I. No previous background whatsoever - but i did do the Columbia Intro program last summer.

Feb 22, 08 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

thanks earlypm - you're right, it's nice to know that i'm definitely going to school, now i've just got to wait and see where.

i did apply for first professional m.arch, although hopefully i'll get some advanced standing within that, i'm not sure yet. i was really surprised to hear from them so soon, i scoped out last years' thread to see when people started hearing from the schools i applied to. it seemed like people were still being notified of acceptances to ut in the second and third week of march, so i think they might drag the emailings out over a couple of weeks.

Feb 22, 08 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
ks1000

Anyone know if Harvard, MIT or Berkeley send out any earlier considering the early app deadline?

Feb 22, 08 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

don't worry about fafsa due dates. i've always turned it in way late. you'll get money if you're poor.

Feb 22, 08 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
EarlyPM

Good to know. Thanks for the info, Snarkiteckt.

Feb 22, 08 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

I knew poverty would come in handy sooner or later, thanks, DJ Tanner.

ps I still have a crush on you from 4th grade. ;-D

Feb 22, 08 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

haahahaha gotta love full house.

YOU GOT IT DUDE

Feb 22, 08 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

smith, congrats on your news...your list is crazy. you must be exhausted...I applied to 7 schools....have a full time job...and am completely burned out.

Of course I dont have as good as GRE as you and I have a few bitter years of design already

Feb 22, 08 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Tic Tac....

Just got an email from SCI-Arc. They are going to start to review my application now. Late April for the decision. (!)

Somebody here have been in SCI-Arc? How much cost the living by this area? I lived in Westwood for a month in 2005 and was quite expensive.

Feb 24, 08 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Early April for the decision. I am sorry :)

Feb 24, 08 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

April? that seems like years away. These schools need to hurry up, I can't take it much longer.

Feb 24, 08 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

I agree, another month and I'll have pegged.

Feb 24, 08 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I have to know where I will be the next three years. I really did not trace a solid alternative to the M.Arch.... This waiting screws a lot

Feb 24, 08 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

hahah agreed.

Feb 24, 08 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

you could try this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzM7Ia06bOM

Feb 24, 08 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

Ybth,
are you sure you don;t qualify for MArch2 at SCI Arc? Its my top pick for this reason.

Feb 24, 08 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

xacto, i'll pass on that... but i think i'll go get some shoes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCF3ywukQYA

Feb 25, 08 12:02 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

ff33ª I am applying for march1. Sure I am qualify for anywhere! :)

Feb 25, 08 2:17 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

hah nor...that clip reminded me of kids in the hall. maybe it was the man in dress to kill wear.

Feb 25, 08 7:00 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

anyone seen the new harvard site? personally I liked the old one better...was cleaner. Although, I must say, I do like the Tie-fighter icon at the top.

Feb 25, 08 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

starting to look a little like Cornell's website... that's weird

Hmmmmmmmmm

Feb 25, 08 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

yeah, seems like it has a lot less identity than the old site.

Feb 25, 08 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I think the best website is the one of Architectural Association.

Feb 25, 08 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Worst is Berkeley.

· 
asbuckeye07

oooh cornell's site...dropsadow photoshop filter's always cool

· 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: