Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

fuzzy_atelier

hehe good to see this tread.

congratulations to all who got in your courses/unis of choice!

same time last year i was waiting anxiously for gsd's letter and checking out this tread every 5 minutes... i didn't get in.

good luck!

Feb 19, 08 5:19 am  · 
 · 
nnoraa

aww fuzzy.. where did you end up going?

Feb 19, 08 9:37 am  · 
 · 
ks1000

ah I cannot take this waiting anymore! wake me up when it's April.

I feel like it's groundhog day and every single day is a Monday.

Feb 19, 08 11:13 am  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

I feel ya man, people keep asking why I have zero attention span lately.

Just so you guys know if this doesn't work out for all of us I’ll be starting my own architecture grad school, admissions will be in May, feel free to email me for portfolio guidelines. Good luck!

The pedagogy of the school will center mostly around making my lunch and making sure my monthly transit pass is current. Should be good stuff.

Feb 19, 08 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

will lewis black be our quirky, yet lovable dean?

Feb 19, 08 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

citrus,
will tarkovsky be standard in the curriculum.

Feb 19, 08 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

ooooh - more applications! i'm so glad you've set the deadline for may.

i am a super good cook. pick me! pick me!

i was looking back through some pics i had and thought you all might need a little pick me up.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1930/94/1600/IMG_0204.jpg

or, if not accepted, you could totally get into doing works of art like this!

Feb 19, 08 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

you will get somewhere fulling your portfolio with that kind of "opera prima".

Feb 19, 08 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

no two ways about it...thats just...baddass

Feb 19, 08 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

I applied to Harvard GSD, Cornell, RISD and UMass. Right now I am in the process of finishing my application to BAC - they have rolling admissions. As for my letters of recommendation, I have two that are very strong and one that should be pretty good but probably not as strong as the others.

Unfortunately the first application essay was to my top pick, the GSD (Cornell & RISD are close seconds - not sure which one though). I had more time to work on the essays for the other schools. I pretty much just wrote about what my goals where, my interests in architecture and how my school and work experience would relate to my future studies. For each of the schools I included a few sentences on why I wanted to go to their school specifically. But without visiting them beforehand it was hard to find to many specifics.

I'll try to post my portfolio - Is there a place were I can do this easily? I have the portfolio on a CD - thats the way RISD wanted it.

Feb 19, 08 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

I have mine on mediafire but am working to put it on flickr - the one on mediafire is set up to print so it's got huge margins that would be clipped off, and it takes like 2 minutes to download (an unbearable amount of time in my opinion)

Feb 19, 08 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

if you have a google account, you can "host' it on your "google page"

Feb 19, 08 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
C. Leigh

I got home today and there was a Big Envelope from University of Oregon, and I was all excited, and I opened it up, and it was...

...a notice that my full application is in and a lovely brochure on what to do in the summer in Oregon.

In other news, I got my official admissions letter from ASU. It was in a Small Envelope...I know someone else was waiting to hear too...

So far Archinectors have heard from:

ASU
Clemson (congrats!)
SCAD (congrats X 2!)
AA (congrats X 3!)

Feb 19, 08 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
minoho

yep, that was me...i got my ASU acceptance letter last week. Congrats on AA by the way! Great school in a great town...well, back to waiting.

Feb 19, 08 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

C. Leigh,

That was cruel.

Feb 19, 08 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
C. Leigh

minoho, congrats!

smithwillb, now I'm confused?

Feb 19, 08 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

hes referring to your teasing about getting something of substance from Oregon. Speaking of which, is that a good program? Thought about applying there, didnt, but thought about it.

Feb 19, 08 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
C. Leigh

for reals, now I'm a tad miffed at UO.

I'll cop to the fact that I didn't do as much research as I should have on Oregon... I did career disco at the GSD and my instructor mentioned it as a solid state program with a good rep, which my in-depth intarwebs research seemed to confirm.

Also, their football team is the Ducks.

Feb 19, 08 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

oh well on football alone, osu might win that argument :)

Feb 19, 08 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Congrats!.

I got an envelope from Syracuse. My application is completed.

... Starting to getting nervous

Feb 19, 08 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

My heart stops every time I get an envelope in the mail or an email from a school. I cant take this waiting anymore! Its killing me!

Feb 20, 08 3:18 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Now I am looked for admissions news in the 2007 thread ....
At least 2 weeks more...

Feb 20, 08 3:25 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I forgot English.

DAMMIT!

Feb 20, 08 3:26 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

I can;t wait till letters come on so this thread will have substance again.

Feb 20, 08 9:30 am  · 
 · 
smithwillb

Yeah, sorry about the confusion. re: C. Leigh's post.

In other news, Clemson's open house is on Feb 29th. Isn’t' that soon? Also, they don't require a deposit for placement; i thought that was strange as well.

Oh, and the weirdest thing: the letter said the admission committee based their decision on my transcript and how it aligns with their current graduate curriculum.

What does that mean? Did they not even look at my portfolio, letters, statement, etc?

Moreover, my transcript certainly does not "align" with anything. I have a degree in journalism and a background in piano/cello performance.

Strange.

Feb 20, 08 9:35 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

you are one of the ones they like due to your diverse background, thats all...we talked about this a few pages back.....how they tend to pick a qty. of non arch backgrounds...like musicians and then the other Arch backgrounds...

and then they grind em all together, pretty standard

Feb 20, 08 11:09 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Got 80 iBT in TOEFL .... F U C K !!!!!!!

I could take much more, but the fucking loud of the room, computer broken, and the nervous ....

That's true that before came here (5 months ago) I hold 58 iBT ... this is the only good point.

The cutoff of the universities I am applying are:

Sci-Arc 83 iBT
Columbia 100 iBT
Syracuse 100 iBT
Cornell W:20 L:15 R:20 S:22 (I am in)
Pratt 79 iBT
Parsons 92 iBT
RISD 93 iBT

Between the TOEFL and GRE I am saying goodbye to most of my list.

:_____(

Feb 20, 08 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

I dont understand half of what you just said. If i understand correct: your upset they wont let you in for your poor scores on these standardized tests? If they deny you on that basis alone, then good riddance to that school, I say. I believe those "cutoffs" are not written in stone.

Feb 20, 08 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I would agree. Real people look at your work...Sure, the cutoffs exist, but Architecture school has its own rules..I wouldn;t worry I ahev heard stories of ppl being well below this and going to places like the GSD

Feb 20, 08 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

asbuckeye07.... I mean that I am out of the needed score of Sci-Arc, Columbia, Syracuse, Parsons and RISD .....

ff33, I heard too the story of an international student got in GSD with low english proficiency. Of the Writing, Speaking, Listening and Reading section I got the lowest in the Speaking ... That because I am not ready yet to talk to a computer in a room with 20 persons listening....

I don't know the rest, but I am kind of shy.

Anyway ... this stress will kill me.

Feb 20, 08 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

just sit back and relax. take comfort in the fact that it's completely out of your hands at this point.

Feb 20, 08 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Jeez man that's no fun, I’m sorry to hear that.

Well good luck on Pratt and Cornell, and hang in there with the rest buddy, as the others said, you never know how strictly schools regard things like the TOEFL.

Feb 20, 08 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Yes... yesterday I was in the courtyard of my house and my roommate told me I got an envelope from some architecture school....

I went running to him jumping chairs, dropping a table, kicking his dog and when I got the envelope from Syracuse, opening it as a monkey, I broke partially the prospectus that was inside and the Welcome prospective student letter.

I am really relaxed person but ...

Feb 20, 08 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

people keep getting all these faux-acceptance letters...my schools must hate me.

Feb 20, 08 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
ks1000

out of curiousity, what situation are other '08 applicant archinectors in? What I mean is: how long have you been out of school and what are you doing in the meantime? As I understand it from friends currently in M. Arch programs a lot of their peers are older than them, having worked for several years before going back to school.

I just graduated last May and have worked in two firms since then. I'm itching to get back to school, having been somewhat disillusioned with the working world... (as I sit in front of this carcinogenic monitor with my lovely beige cubicle as backdrop)

Feb 20, 08 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

"...having been somewhat disillusioned with the working world." Couldn;t agree more!

... but I am a snob about most firms in town. I work Freelance Residential and am waiting to go back too and finish up, so I can bootstrap into higher caliper work....uh hopefully

Feb 20, 08 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

I graduated in BS arch last june. Right now im working for a 7-person residential firm in DC. Lots of people complain about their work experiences, but so far mine has been great. Our projects are smaller and more detail-orientated, so they let me do alot more. plus, I'll have stuff built before I ship off to grad school. That said, I am excited to get back to school to explore more interesting things.

Feb 20, 08 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

i graduated back in '04 with my bs in arch. i've worked for 3 firms since. they've all been pretty different, so i've figured out what i want, don't want, etc.

and i've gotten the chance to finish my idp. so as soon as i graduate, i get to start taking tests to get licensed. woo.

i cannot wait to go back to school (if i get in). i'm really ready to explore all of the things i have a lot of interest in, but really haven't gotten to touch on in my job.

Feb 20, 08 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

I graduated with a BS in Finance in '06, worked in a corporate arch dept and tried to build up a portfolio. I decided my Jr year to go for architecture all out (none of that real estate devel. junk for me)

I hope to get a little research/teaching thing going on, and have a small firm of my own eventually... or if I don't get in I'm leaving the country. lol.

YbTH - as far as the TOEFL - it's just an english test. It's not a test of how smart or creative you are. I'm sure they'll take that into consideration - it's not like you won't learn fast in a 100% immersion environment like studio, and your studio mates will help you figure stuff out for sure.

Feb 20, 08 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

BS in Information Systems, 2004
Been working the IT world ever since.

Feb 20, 08 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Ingeniero de Caminos, Canales y Puertos (5-years degree in Civil Engineering), July-2008

Been working in several construction companies (summers), spanish helmets brand, freelancing, network company ...

Currently year-off as exchange in New Mexico State University taking Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Engineering Technology, Business & Law, and Art courses ...

Would like to study M.Arch I and start to research within the Architecture and Planning. After finish the Masters, will see if I try to continue with the PhD.

Feb 20, 08 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Well, I forgot that my degree is from Madrid (Spain)

Feb 20, 08 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

ybth,
if i don't get in ...my plan is to go the IAAC for a year

Feb 21, 08 9:41 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

ff33 that is amazing! I have in mind go to also, but always after study overseas...

Feb 21, 08 9:59 am  · 
 · 
conormac

what is that exactly? we get emails from them at work. Is it like the Boston Architectural College- non-application enrollment?

Feb 21, 08 10:26 am  · 
 · 
A V

Hi everyone,
I'm very new here.
I've applied to 9 schools for the fall of 2008 m. arch program.
They are:

-SCI-Arc
-U. of Washington
-Illinois Tech
-U. of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
-Virginia Tech
-U. Penn
-Columbia
-Syracuse
-Yale

I graduated from the Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore with a BFA in environmental design and work at a medium sized architecture firm in Baltimore.

Lets commiserate together!! I use every lunch break at work to go home and check my mail! I'm glad I found this little support group!

Feb 21, 08 11:30 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

hey AV...good luck on all (cept Yale, as thats the only of your list I applied to as well ;) ).

Where do ya work in baltimore? im in DC...working in the woodley park neighborhood.

Feb 21, 08 11:36 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

welcome A V

Feb 21, 08 11:38 am  · 
 · 
A V

I work at downtown, right across the street from the harbor here.

Oh my name is Anna and I'm 22 by the way! Thanks for the welcomes =]

Feb 21, 08 11:49 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

waterfront in baltimore is great.

I'm Alex...22

Feb 21, 08 11:55 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: