Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

asbuckeye07

oh i went to osu...knowlton school-o-arch. 4 year BS Arch...not sure what ENVD is? Great school, AMAZING faculty...I would reccomend the grad school there to anyone, you just get access to some of the greatest minds and resources in the world of architecture there. I just need a little change in perspective...plus I just cant be in the midwest.

Feb 14, 08 11:10 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

BS...hmm. ok..well, it looks like you have had 4 decent studios...but I dont get it...So thats has a more AE focus or something than a 5 yr?
do they give you MArch2 anywhere?

I have an ENVD BA from CU - Environmental Design....basically worthless if you ask me...but its good for exploration of Design feilds...many go on to ID & Planning , etc I have a had a lot variety in my education , which I appreciate...lot of aesthetics and theory, and all the software training I could want. My studios were all kind of lame, but I sought out a Design build projects and in the end it turned out well, I think. I would not recommend CU to serious applicants...it is stigmatized by mediocre party minded students, that I am glad to be away from. CO also sufferes mildly form a midwest syndrom. I need a break from it as well.

Feb 14, 08 11:19 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

I think you two need to come to the Best Coast.

(In case you didn't catch that, it means the West Coast. ;-)

Feb 14, 08 11:23 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

yeahyeah..I am tryin' ...

where you at?

Feb 14, 08 11:24 am  · 
 · 
jhooper

buckeye, I enjoyed the portfolio quite a bit. I liked the blur frame you used, wouldn't have thought of that. I also got a kick out of the last page, just in case i forgot who's portfolio it was...

Best of luck

Feb 14, 08 11:26 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

San Diego

Feb 14, 08 11:30 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

haha, the last page was actually originally from and alexander rodchenko constructivist print...which franz ferdinand copied for an album cover...which i then copied for a back cover expressing my need to grab their attention...they'll either get it and find it clever, or just think im a loser...

I acutally grew up in southern CA, then moved to DC when 12, and went to school in ohio for some reason...I perfer the east coast, but thats just me....hard to beat the weather on the west though

f33...the BS arch i got was halfway to a professional degree...basically i need the March I still, but i only need to do roughly half the work most do (IF i get "advanced standing")

in the spirit of valentines day here's a wonderful little 5-min film about love:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hsF0Eqs8yQ8

it's shot backwards, and edited foward....really great concept, captures the awkwardness of love...plus the girl's cute

Feb 14, 08 11:31 am  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

so bcndaye, your friend already got admitted to ut austin? i didn't realize they did an early "first round" acceptance, that's pretty crazy.

Feb 14, 08 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
ldaye

they are flying her down to austin in a few weeks! i think its exciting... apparently they only picked half a dozen people for the recruiting. she applied to a lot of intense schools so i'm not sure she will go there, but what a great opportunity! i wish it was me!

Feb 14, 08 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

I had a nightmare of Scott Cohen sitting in the GSD, picking up my portfolio by one of its flimsy, brightly-colored pages and dropping it directly in the trash can, muttering verbal abuse all the wile.

anyone else becoming comically neurotic about this whole thing ? I thought I was A-OK. Maybe just a moment of weakness.

Feb 14, 08 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

oh hey conormac, I remembr you

anyway, this thread is pretty tame...not sure I even care anymore. I guess it will be more interesting when all the rejections role in...

Feb 14, 08 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
ripomatic

last night I had a dream that I was sitting across a bridge table from Abe Vigoda.

he told me "you got what it takes"

I'm feeling pretty good about things right now.

Feb 15, 08 12:19 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

"you got what it takes"

Feb 15, 08 9:05 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

i had a dream last year that i got accepted and i was so happy about it and started planning all this stuff.

and then i woke up. it was not a very good morning.

so glad it's friday.

Feb 15, 08 9:46 am  · 
 · 
C. Leigh

laurilan, I've had the same dream!

I was talking to the boy last night and I just kept saying "In a month I will know what I am doing. In a month I will know what I am doing."

Feb 15, 08 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
futurist

Trying not to think about the out-of-state tuition if I get into the grad program... will it be worth it? Yes.

Feb 15, 08 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
smithwillb

just got an acceptance letter from Clemson.

small envelope.

3.5 year M.arch.

1 down, 10 to go!

Feb 16, 08 12:08 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

congratz smith

Feb 16, 08 12:14 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

New Game:

one shot of Patrón for letter of acceptance
three for decline

first shot of Patrón on smith!

Feb 16, 08 12:21 am  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Congratulations S.

Good luck on the rest!

Feb 16, 08 1:52 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Congrats smith.

As citrus, my friend, says ... Bon chance

Feb 16, 08 5:47 am  · 
 · 
nnoraa

Congrats smith! Thats awesome... it's only good news from here.

Feb 16, 08 11:58 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

Congrats smith.

General Question: WAITLISTING

...so doea anyone know anything about waitlisting, or knows anyone that got in via waitlisting. I was re reading the 2007 Commiserate thread and I found lots of people got waitlisted. I can only assume this is a fair foot in teh door..plus i mean not all acceptances are confirmed. I heard a rumor that if you really want to go to a school that you are wait listed for, that you can manage your way in...

Feb 17, 08 3:54 am  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

I think it all depends on the school ff. At a place where positions are really in high demand, a waitlist still doesn't give you much of a shot, while I’ve heard at other places it'll give you about a 50/50.

Feb 17, 08 4:22 am  · 
 · 
stargazer

re: conormac

i thought Monica Ponce de Leon has taken over the graduate class,
so your dream about Preston Scott Cohen might not be true :]

http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/academic/arch/admin.html

Feb 17, 08 11:01 am  · 
 · 
conormac

lol - I don't think he'd do that, no matter how shitty the portfolio is... just getting nervous. I would really like to know what city I will be living in 5 months from now.

Monica Ponce de Leon is even cooler than her name suggests: she is buying a 6 foot tall robotic arm and she's going to keep it in the basement of the GSD (rumor, but an awesome one).

Imagine if you had 6 foot long robotic arms. damn.

Feb 17, 08 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

from my understanding, waitlists all depend on how many applicants accept their offer of admission. if a school has 30 spots, and only 25 accept, they will take 5 off the waitlist. some schools may overadmit, and not offer any waitlists.

Feb 17, 08 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

can't drink tequila afr. instead of I will drink 1 galon of long island per letter of acceptance.

Feb 17, 08 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
sayyes

Did anyone else here apply to Wash U in St.L? I did primarily on the advice of our school's history teacher who was writing me letters...

I'm really looking for the heavy dose of digital design skills and also applied to Penn, Sci-arc, UCLA and Rice, but for some reason have a good feeling about Wash U... any thoughts?

Feb 18, 08 1:46 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

never heard of it.

Feb 18, 08 9:01 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

waitlisting does totally depend on the school - and it changes from year to year.

i got waitlisted at cincinnati last yr and didn't end up getting in.

Feb 18, 08 9:34 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

laurilan, your a (re)applicant as well then? hmm,..thanks

Feb 18, 08 9:37 am  · 
 · 
stelina

got in the aa.

Feb 18, 08 9:42 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

Congrats!

Feb 18, 08 10:27 am  · 
 · 
stelina

thanks! hoping to hear from more schools too. good luck to all and lets keep on updating as news come in.

Feb 18, 08 10:51 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

I can't imagine what else you would want, stelina? geez...that is just awesome

Feb 18, 08 11:06 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Congrats Stelina! That's amazing. Do you have any previous bachelor?

Feb 18, 08 11:57 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I mean ... where are you going within the AA (in CAPS please! haha)

Feb 18, 08 11:58 am  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Congratulations Stelina, and good luck on the rest.

Feb 18, 08 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
cmoh

Stelina- which year did the AA accept you into? or did you apply to DRL?Can you share your interview experience...

Feb 18, 08 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Oh and from what I've seen sayyes, Wash U produces some really thoughtful work but I probably wouldn't describe it as highly digital at all. I think there are some former students here on the boards so you might be able to get better information from them?

Feb 18, 08 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

Congrats Stelina!! :)

oh man, look at these acceptances pouring in. i'm excited!

Feb 18, 08 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

add to that citrus...I wouldnt describe Rice as digital either...from what Ive heard from a friend in the program

Feb 18, 08 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

FF: Last year I was waitlisted at RISD and got in. I initially got a letter saying that I got waitlisted. Then, about 3 days before deposits for deadline, I got a call saying that I got in. Then they pounded me with the tuition/costs saying that there's no financial aid the first year.

Feb 18, 08 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

hmmm.
I don;t know why I thought waitlisting was a good thing. I always heard that if you are waitlisted...and you reallyt want it, then to just harrass them to death

Feb 18, 08 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

in addition, someone on here last year was told they were waitlisted for pratt and eventually got in as well.

it really does seem to be a crapshoot.

congrats stelina on the acceptance! there seems to be some earlier notifications this yr.

Feb 18, 08 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
cou2

Hi, I'm new to this site. I wish I had found this site sooner. Already sent in four of my five applications for M.Arch programs. Seems like there are a lot of people here with design or architecture backgrounds. I have a B.S. in mathematics. I don't have to much of a design or art background. The only art classes I took were Intro to Drawing and Architectural History. So my portfolio might be my weak point. However, I put a lot of work into my portfolio. Included a few drawings from that class, some photos and a bunch of other sketches of house designs that I had thought up my self. I had my portfolio reproduced professionally and put them in 11x9 envelope with a noted explaining what the drawings were. I wasn't sure whether I should have put my portfolio into a binder.

While my art background my not be extremely strong, I have taken plenty of classes in calculus, physics, chemistry and statistics. It also took me five and a half years years to finish college. But that was because I working throughout college. I was actually doing construction work - which I made sure to mention on application essay.

Here are my stats.

3.93 GPA (3.92 major GPA, 3.88 GPA for last 2 years) - never got a grade below A-.

750 math, 610 verbal and 5 in writing on GRE

Any thoughts on my situation? I'm just waiting for the letters and can't stop thinking about this stuff. Sorry for the long post.

Feb 18, 08 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

where'd you apply? I knew a grad student at OSU who was math as undergrad...he did fine.

Feb 18, 08 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

cou2, post your portfolio

Feb 18, 08 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
conormac

Cou2, thats a fantastic GPA and good GREs (coming from a competitive school?) and I think they like people with different perspectives - that's what I'm banking on...

How are your letters of rec & personal statement(s)?

Where are you applying? you and I are in similar situations, for sure - but it took me 6 to get thru undergrad :)

Feb 18, 08 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: