Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

asbuckeye07

would be hard to beat living in savannah though

Feb 12, 08 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
chopsky

Wow, already? When was SCAD's application deadline?

Feb 12, 08 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

It's march 1st, but I sent in my application (along with the rest of my apps) on Dec 31st... i was in Italy in Jan so I just wanted to get everything over with before i left.

Feb 12, 08 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Whoever put March so far away from January has no heart at all and I despise him/her.

Feb 12, 08 11:29 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

congratulations norita. you will get more :)

Feb 13, 08 12:09 am  · 
 · 
nnoraa

yeah, what jerks. hah

aw, thanks yb!

Feb 13, 08 12:18 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

congrats norita! my coworker went there and he's doing pretty well now, if that helps you out at all.

Feb 13, 08 8:47 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

ooone month-ish. ugh

they go through the portfolios first and start by cutting the bottom half...I wish at that point they'd start notifying people of denials...alas, they wont

Feb 13, 08 9:37 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

congrats norita!

I just got an e-mail from the admissions person at Berkeley letting me know they are starting the review process this week, and they'll be letting people know in mid-late March.

Feb 13, 08 9:39 am  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

i know asbuck, it seems like if they already know that 50% of their applicants didn't make the cut, they could save them the trouble of waiting hopefully for the mailman for the next month. maybe they just don't want to deal with the inevitable influx of upset/pleading phone calls and emails until after they're done with the whole thing.

of course, not that it would matter much to any of us since we're *obviously* all in the bunch still being considered......

Feb 13, 08 10:31 am  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

i didn't get an email from Berkeley... I feel left out :-(

Feb 13, 08 11:44 am  · 
 · 
ks1000

me either! hmph.

Feb 13, 08 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

yeah, me either.... anyone but toaster get one?

Feb 13, 08 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

he's lying!

Feb 13, 08 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

you guys are grasping at straws....who care's if he got a stupid email telling him his app was complete..I ve gotten a few of these.

Feb 13, 08 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

it's fun, join us

Feb 13, 08 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

oh,..I mean...

HEY!..WHERES my EMAIL!

Feb 13, 08 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

that's right! GET HIM! (toasteroven)

Feb 13, 08 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

i didnt even apply to berkeley and now i want one too!

Feb 13, 08 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
ki

me too .....

Feb 13, 08 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I dunno why anyone would? They were looking for their replacement Dean on Archinect job board...

I guess it would be cool to live close to SF, though...or maybe be a hppies in Berzerkely for a few years.

Feb 13, 08 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

I think the thing bout Berkeley's grad school, correct me if im wrong, is that you're pretty limited to work in that region. Not that that'd be a bad thing

Feb 13, 08 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

they do have a plethora of travel opportunities.

Feb 13, 08 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

Maybe i should apply!

http://archinect.com/jobs/description.php?id=68924_0_30_0_C

Feb 13, 08 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

the admissions people didn't get my GRE scores - so I've been e-mailing back and forth... they are very nice over there. That's the only reason I got an e-mail.

Feb 13, 08 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

I dont get why a job posting for dean on archinect is a bad thing...seems like a smart idea...probably allows for other interesting people all over the place to get a chance as opposed to just handpicking a "berkeley person"

Feb 13, 08 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

and I asked nicely. ;-)

Feb 13, 08 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
ki

whats everyone on board doing for valentine's day ...... ?? i wish it was on april 14th , this year at least !!! .....

Feb 13, 08 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

can't speak for anyone else of course, but i found lots of reasons to apply to berkeley. they have great permanent and visiting faculty, offer several interesting dual-degree programs (concurrent mla + march, march + lighting design, etc), and are definitely in a stellar location. the school places some emphasis on environmental and social responsibility without being one-note or prescriptive, and the student work is both technically and conceptually strong (and doesn't look like everyone just does the same thing). grads go on to work in (and found) great offices, primarily on the west coast (i think they get hooked on the cali weather) but also in the rest of the us and abroad. a lot of the course and studio offerings seemed to line up well with my interests, and it seems like there's a huge diversity of ideas being kicked around within the program.

Feb 13, 08 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

oh i am sure it is a fine school. I just know it is going through changes, and they are little vague around their messaging..( their website is no help either)

Feb 13, 08 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Just got an email from Columbia.

Application Officially Complete

"The Admissions Committee will be reviewing applications after the deadline and decisions will be made by April 1st, 2008. Consequently, you may check the decision status of your application by logging on to this website after April 1."

Feb 13, 08 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

April 1st? I do not now if I will get a strong anxiety crisis before ...

Feb 13, 08 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

i bet these schools base their admissions decisions on "eanie meanie miney mo"

Feb 13, 08 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

no, dartboard....unfortunatley my portfolio is 1/2" thick so my chances are greatly decreased

Feb 13, 08 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

ASBUCK. you have to stay positive!

hahaha.

ps - so is mine. and it has plastic film covers or whatever you call it (im tired, bear with me please for my lack of vocab). which = slippery. aka, darts biggest enemy.

Feb 13, 08 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I'm lost,..

I cant wait till more notices role in,..we are like in that weird "in between" phase ...

Feb 13, 08 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

What are you talking about? I am completely lost....

asbuck, your portfolio is completely competitive. You have a strong composition, focused, and good summarized your art work.

portfolios as mine with more than hundred works usually are unfocused, messy, and you can figure out easier week points...

Feb 13, 08 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I never sayw asbuck's portfolio, I don;t think
hmm,..do i really have to search for it..

Hey asbuck, email your link again

Feb 13, 08 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

he was saying admission committees base their admission decisions using darts and a dartboard.

Feb 13, 08 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

am i correct?

Feb 13, 08 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

Yes, thats i correct,..there is little rhyme or reason...if you fit the bill , meaning that if you seem like a good fit with the overall cless they are trying to create,...then you work out. Obviously everyon else in you r class , will be.."Very good " as well ..for now, "darts" is a good metaphor for us

Feb 14, 08 12:49 am  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Anyway, any school will be interested in admit students that will pay by external funding all the expenses. So you will find in a class, genius with scholarship paid by the school, another students paid in part by the schools and some of them who will pay by themselves everything. Within the last group, probably, will be students with less capacity than the others groups.

I do not mean that the third group will suck, actually I belong to them (0_o), but ... it is obviously that university, in this country, still being a business. And schools that will be able to earn 30 or 40,000 dollars instead of spend their budget accepting a student, will do it within a wider margins than other cases.

Feb 14, 08 1:02 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

hey...sorry about the confusion...yes, I was being facetious. I posted my portfolio a couple pages back, feel free to go look at it, but I lost the link so Im not going to go looking for it.

Feb 14, 08 7:42 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

found it:

http://www.box.net/shared/d12s1ybcwg

it is what it is. wish I'd spent more time on it/been able to include more projects, but I feel it's style is unique enough to stand out (hopefully).

Feb 14, 08 7:46 am  · 
 · 
laurilan

happy valentine's day to everyone!

you know, i think we desrve a red dot by this point.

Feb 14, 08 9:45 am  · 
 · 
ldaye

i haven't seen many applicants for UT at austin.... from what i hear its great arch school with some amazing visiting professors. my friend just got accepted into a select MarchI where they go and visit the school in two weeks or so.
have you heard anything about their arch masters program? i applied to their MLA program, which is fairly new...

Feb 14, 08 10:36 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

asbuck

Yeah I remember this now...very nice.. i like the Katrina project and the hip hop tower . It's nice to put the work to the name. Seems like the more we chatter here , the more we want to see each other's work.
I still have to say , that the dartbord is still the best metaphor.

Feb 14, 08 10:43 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

UT probably my number two school. I visited again last Dec. for crits. I found everything I was looking for in a school. The bldg's are very nice as well. I think the only drawback i could find was that it was in Texas. Austin is cool town , but the state at large suffers from a weird brand Midwest arrogance. They act like Texas is special, when visitors are strained to find anything good about it. ( I take license with such comments being from their)

Anyway, I think they have pretty decent Landscape Arch program as well. I dunno.

As far as state schools go, its a good choice.

Feb 14, 08 10:49 am  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

hip hop tower....that has a nice ring to it :) . Yeah my undergrad experience was an odd one, so that portfolio is my best attempt to explain the weird, often contradictory, studio culture I was a part of...ie I went to a school that ingrained in you from the start that its NOT ok to repeat history and that reinventing the wheel at everystep of the way is key. Rewarding experience though, and was a good way to start thinking about design.

Feb 14, 08 10:51 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

Lets see you went to Cinci or OSU?

Was that a 4 yr ENVD or a 5yr Barch?

Feb 14, 08 11:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: