Archinect
anchor

2008 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

franciscoalarcon

If you have the enough resources to pay the tuition .... actually, in Dollars will screw

Feb 10, 08 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

good point shuellmi. doesn't hurt to ask.

Feb 10, 08 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

well on a positive note, congrats on the interview!

Feb 10, 08 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
citrus.grey

Yeah I know a lot of schools let intl. students write an essay or complete a small design project instead of the interview but the administrator told me they don't admit anyone without a personal interview. I did know all of this going into it but just didn't realize that I’d have to file for this exemption before hearing back from anywhere else. I emailed them and asked for a later interview date so I’ll see where that gets me I suppose.

Thanks norita I am pretty excited and if anything it gives me a little confidence to be patient and wait for my first choices to get back to me. Unfortunately it also kind of multiplied all of my nervousness though as you can tell from the massive rambling posts.

Anyway there are walls to be detailed now, thanks for the advice.

Feb 10, 08 8:59 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

citrus, I asked to the AA staff, in the case of yourself that I should go to be interviewed, if I could go after May because currently I was in USA. And they didn't send me back any response.

I think, if you are ready to spend 6 years studying Architecture and if you have founds or possibility ... Don't be afraid. AA, I think, is the best school of Architecture in the World. To be honest, I can't spend another 6 years for an undergraduate, but if I could... I were there.

Anyway I will send someday a late application.

Feb 10, 08 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

best school of architecture in the world huh? mr. kipnis himself told me not to wast my time

Feb 10, 08 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

oh asbuckeye, i bet you've been waitin' a long time to drop that name...too bad you had to do it here , where few even know who he is..

...but that is definitly cool , if you indeed met him

Feb 10, 08 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

nah, not trying to drop it...he wouldnt know me if his life depended on it. but he was very helpful filling me in on the workings of the aa...bottom line: if you've had a basic background in arch/design at a "normal" school, and you have alot of, as he put it, "time and money to waste" that its a great place to go and experiment with new wacky shit/ideas.

Feb 10, 08 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Mr. Kipnis, probably will know better than me ... :)

By the way ... I have this ranking of american schools. I have to say, I do not follow the rankings, but it is curious to see:

1. Harvard University
2. University of Cincinnati
3. Yale University
4. Massachusetts Institute of Technology
5. University of Virginia
6. Cornell University
7. Rice University
8. Washington University in St. Louis
9. Columbia University
10. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
11. University of Pennsylvania
12. Princeton University
12. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
12. University of Texas at Austin
15. Rhode Island School of Design
16. University of Michigan
17. Southern California Institute of Architecture
17. University of Florida
19. Texas A&M University
19. University of Notre Dame

What about global ranking or something close to that?

Feb 10, 08 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

(Graduate Schools)

Feb 10, 08 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

yeah those are DI's rankings...have to take into consideration that those are from a professional, and professional only, standpoint. Ie. U of Cinncy might not be the most rewarding experience as a grad school, but they will definatley land you on your feet once you're out. On the flip side of that, Princeton cranks out some of the smartest people in architecture, but they dont focus too heavily on the professional side of things, so their ranking, on this list, is affected.

Feb 10, 08 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

yeah, ybth..if you didn't know it...putting "rankings" on Archinect are historically controversial...and for good reasons. You shouldn't bIf i could be so bold,

..don;t bother with this sort of thing unless you are going to put the source...andfurthermore you shouldn't bother with the source's list unless you have seen at least three previous ranking lists form other sources....this will tell you that rankings are are trivial, alone...

These list tend to vascillate form year to year , opnly to deomnstrtae the contrivance thats goes into it....

seriously,,..I mean what parameters or tolerances would go into such an exercise...

Feb 10, 08 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

also, fuck that list...it means squat

Feb 10, 08 10:04 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

a good list for arch schools: they're all the same in the end...but ivy leagues get your foot in the door for the same superficial reasons going to harvard law vs. ball sate law does.

Feb 10, 08 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I do not remember from where I toke.... but I did not follow for my applications ...

Actually by the moment, the school that I am liking too much is ranked as the 17th this list...

· 
ff33º

yeah your right, but still you have to admit.....

fuck.that.list.

· 
asbuckeye07

you got it from Design Intelligence

Feb 10, 08 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
nnoraa

yeah i remember i bought that stupid ass book 2 years ago.. i think i paid about $30 or $35 for it.. i was excited at first because i thought i would get some big book with each program laid out in detail with student stats and etc.. sad to say, got the piece of shit in the mail and saw that it was about 15 pgs and not helpful AT ALL.

it was literally.. 15 pgs of meaningless rankings. i was so pissed. you better believe i wrote an e-mail back to them. didn't help much. still a little bitter about it. haha

Feb 10, 08 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

yeah that book was complete bullshit. I bought it, took out the insert with the rankings, and returned it to amazon the next day. You basically paid 30 bucks for one arbitrary list formulated by jackasses who just want you to be their next cad monkey.

Feb 10, 08 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

Is the yellow one?

Feb 10, 08 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

yeah

Feb 10, 08 10:17 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

I find, personal testimony of prospective schools ppl like much more interesting than any "ranking". If we are going to pay attention this shit, we might as wlell go ask that troll that came on here a few pages back what school we should go to.

I think we are much smarter than all that.

Feb 10, 08 10:18 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I think ... The best school of architecture of the world will be the one which admit me in a few weeks...

haha. If no one won't,.... I did not apply to the best of the world.

Feb 10, 08 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

yeah im with you Yb

Feb 10, 08 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

But... you are not applying to the same schools than me ....

hahaha

Feb 10, 08 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

uh yeah, hadnt thought of that one. Well, when i dont get into any of mine, maybe next year ill apply to yours

Feb 10, 08 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

tick

tock

Feb 10, 08 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

:)

Feb 10, 08 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

By the way I recommend you to hear some italian progressive rock from the 70's

Feb 10, 08 11:10 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

ybth, are you getting high or something?

Feb 10, 08 11:25 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

Yb...any group names with that?

Feb 10, 08 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

after discover these groups yes :)

Feb 10, 08 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

also, what does "ybTH" mean anyway?

Feb 10, 08 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

asbuck. try Le Orme and Alusa Fallax

Feb 10, 08 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

haha ybth was a random type... actually I never use this name. But now it is kind of cool or kind of it means something.

Feb 10, 08 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

well, for some reason , i like that about you. At least you name isn't archidude69 or something dumb like that..

well, just layoff posting thoses rankings and "we cool"

Feb 10, 08 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

It is supposed that newbies of this forum get that type of names?

Feb 10, 08 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
ks1000

out of curiosity-- is anyone here applying to any dual-degree programs? I applied to both Columbia and UPENN's dual degree M. Arch and M.S Historic Preservation.
If anyone has any insight into either, pray tell.

Feb 11, 08 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

I really want to pursue two degrees during grad school...most likely urban planning being the other one. I didnt want to go through the hassle of applying twice per school, so Im going to go the route of applying for my second degree after my first year of M.arch.

Feb 11, 08 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I think this is the best option asbuckeye.

Feb 11, 08 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
laurilan

i'm back! got out of the office last week and went snowboarding in utah. and didn't think about applications.

coincidentally, i was catching up on some dwell magazines (specifically the nov. 2007) and they had an article about the university of utah's arch program. it's very reminiscent of rural studio at auburn.

anyway, a group of 1st year grad students designed an off the grid house for a semester and then went to southern utah and built it - on a budget of $30k.

http://www.designbuildbluff.com/ (rosie joe house)

not directly related to applying and all that, but i thought it was pretty interesting.

and it might get everyone's mind off of apps for a couple of minutes!

i also considered a dual degree w/urban design/planning, but decided against it. it seems that if you want to transition over into that field, it's not too difficult with just an m.arch.

Feb 11, 08 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

welcome back laur...a ski trip is a good idea.

Im going up to philly this weekend...anyone from there have suggestions on things to do/see?

Feb 11, 08 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
franciscoalarcon

I am in bed with back pain waiting for the appointment with the doctor. It is being so cool and great to get off of anything.

Feb 11, 08 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

I actually came back from a snowboarding trip weekend myself. It was very refreshing.

asbuckeye: do anything that's not related to architecture :-)

Feb 11, 08 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

so in philly that leaves what?... drinking uncontrollably? haha, planned on that anyways

Feb 11, 08 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

laurilan, That is awesome, ...seen it before..I didn't know it was student project?

My friends did this one...

http://www.trailerwrap.net/ ...also 30k original budget

and this is most recent Design/Build project here:

http://www.inhabitat.com/2007/10/18/solar-decathlon-2007-university-of-colorados-core-concept/

Feb 11, 08 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

i love it

Feb 11, 08 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
C. Leigh

So I was getting used to the waiting, and beginning to formulate my alternate plans...and I just got an acceptance email from Arizona State. That's way early, right?

7 more to go...and now I'm more nervous...

Feb 11, 08 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

congrats.

Feb 11, 08 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
asbuckeye07

c. leigh...wow congratulations. ASU's a good program. Tempe's a good place to be practicing architecture too. I hope to start hearing back soon too, but doubt it.

Feb 11, 08 2:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: