xtbl

there

Jun 4, 08 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
xtbl
Jun 4, 08 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

braaaaap braaaaap (puuuuuuullllll uuuuupppp)

Jun 4, 08 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

I thought I was bad, but y'all have no sense. Thank you~~

Jun 4, 08 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
Helsinki

phu,
that Zumthor you asked about is a publication released when he was awarded the Finnish wood architecture award (called "spirit of nature" - I know, could not be much worse...)

Anyway, it's a slim volume, with projects in wood, sparsely presented. Buy it if you want to give a gift to someone who is kinda interested in architecture, but not really, and you don't have the time or the money to actually come up with & buy a real present.

The other books in the series are:
Renzo
Kengo
Leplastrier (the only actually interesting choice)

and the other authors name is spelled wrong on Amazon, it's "Mikko Heikkinen" (of Heikkinen + Komonen)

Jun 4, 08 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

...another bump, finally got some books in the mail after some backorder mess, thanks for the help y'all. I decided to splurge and get the first volume of the h&dem complete works series with the help of my stimulus check, and it's a beautiful book and money well spent. I was a tad disappointed on the lack of text in the tezuka monograph, but a great photographic showcase of their work. the Gert Wingårdh monograph is almost overwhelming, and not a bad price for what you get. I just had a look at the Birkhäuser/Lars Müller fall catalog, here's some good looking books that are on their way:

Snoehetta Works

Hertl Architekten - Space and Texture

Hermann Kaufmann: wood works (holz I think this is the one you mentioned before)

marte.marte - architecture 1996-2008

Outline: Architecture by schmidt hammer lassen

my amazon wishlist will be full for christmas

Jul 1, 08 1:46 pm  · 
 · 

Andres Deplazes for Birkhauser Publishing

Constructing Architecture - Material Processes Structures - a Handbook

Jul 1, 08 3:39 pm  · 
 · 

also quite good also by Birkhauser

Concrete Architecture Design and Construction

Burkhard Frohlich (ed)

Jul 1, 08 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

that marte.marte book is a definite yes. hertl, potentially but i'm not too sure a monograph really works... they're still so young, or at least don't have that much work.

and yeah, the h. kaufmann: wood works is the book i previously was talking about.

i've pimped the deplazes book before and will second ATP's suggestion.

Jul 1, 08 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

Agreed about the hertl, still best to browse their site for now, because you know there's much more to come. The Deplazes book is going into it's second edition in july, and will be expanded to include a more in depth discussion of facades, and a new chapter called "principals of space creation."

Also, they're expanding their construction set (aside from a-tec's mention of concrete they have timber, glass, facade construction, masonry, and roof construction) with the energy manual: sustainable architecture, which comes with a hefty price tag but looks like something that should be included in any firm's library.

Annnnnnd somehow i missed this one, but they're releasing a new Baumschlager Eberle monograph as well, titled Approaches, which could be promising.

Jul 2, 08 10:08 am  · 
 · 
jaymalee

invisible cities, by italo calvino
architecture of happiness, by alain de botton

Jul 2, 08 10:34 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

because i know all anyone will recommend are architecture books

three cups of tea greg mortinson
what is the what dave eggers
the long walk Slavomir Rawicz

Jul 2, 08 11:03 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

because i know all anyone will recommend are architecture books

three cups of tea greg mortinson
what is the what dave eggers
the long walk slavomir rawicz
afterculture jerry herron
moonpalace paul aster
the monkey wrench gang edward abbey

Jul 2, 08 11:05 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

what the heck happened

Jul 2, 08 11:05 am  · 
 · 

Irie happened...

Jul 2, 08 11:15 am  · 
 · 
RevisionV

Bruce Mau / Lifestyle ... more graphic, identity, general design than architecture is quite nice.

Jul 5, 08 7:32 pm  · 
 · 

oooh yeah i loved that one.

and bossman, i haven't checked out '...what...' yet but loved 'they shall know our velocity'.

Jul 5, 08 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

'what is the what' is better, imho. there's something a little strained in eggers' style in 'you shall know our velocity'

Jul 5, 08 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
n_

^ agreed.

Jul 6, 08 12:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: