Archinect
anchor

"That guy" in renderings

phuyaké

So I hope this isn't just me... but over the years, being it competition entries, feasibility studies, marketing websites, urban proposals, etc, there is a familiar face that consistantly makes an appearance:

I'm sure some of you have seen him before, being one of the only royalty free, hi-res, white-background, photoshop elements on the top of the google list when searching for such.

Aside from this being an open forum to discuss where you've seen him and/or any other emotional attachments you may have to him, I wonder more about who this man actually is (the person, not the downloadable TIF image), and wonder if he has any knowledge that he has appeared in intern renderings for some of the worlds more important new buildings. And yeah, I'm bored

Mar 27, 07 10:13 pm

well he isn't a "hand" model, because they are in his pocket

Mar 27, 07 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

Dad!?

Mar 27, 07 10:49 pm  · 
 · 
n_

i stick naked people in my renderings to see if anyone notices. so far, NO ONE has ever noticed. i

Mar 27, 07 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
upside

he is the ghost who walks

sometimes he has 65% opacity
sometimes just a silhouette
sometimes he's talking to someone
other times he's staring at some improbable feature on a never built competition entry.

Mar 27, 07 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I put a French maid dusting a tree once in mine. It was classic. I know this girl that puts werewolves and stuff in her's. It's sweet.

Mar 27, 07 11:25 pm  · 
 · 

That's Dick Hertz.

Mar 27, 07 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
binary

it's tom strogenouf

Mar 27, 07 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
cadalyst

jimmy hoffa?

Mar 28, 07 12:04 am  · 
 · 
AP

in undergrad i used images of friends and professors. trendy acquaintances usually made the best scaleys...with their fashionable shoes, colorful handbags and pompous stances.

Mar 28, 07 12:08 am  · 
 · 
dia

I use Magritte:

Mar 28, 07 12:15 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

pictures of myself only, many many times, enough to block out the architecture.

Mar 28, 07 12:27 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I put Steve Jobs hanging out at a certain charitable foundation HQ in Seattle.

Mar 28, 07 12:30 am  · 
 · 
lovebird

Why haven't i seen anyone use homeless scalies? They would make any rendering photo realistic. Here's one. I'll give a quarter to the first person to crop him out from his background.

Mar 28, 07 12:34 am  · 
 · 

that guy is actually the thing i HATE most in the state of architecture atm. everytime i see him it put me in a bad mood. that friggin bad beige suit.aaaaaaargh!!!
and the fact that ever supposedly creative architectural offices use such a dork in their images is just plain wrong!

Mar 28, 07 3:15 am  · 
 · 
bucku

i wish i could post my "people" library on line for all to use. it is filled with half naked ladies. i did get called out one jury for having only scantily clad women in the rederings. though it wasnt the attire that was noted, only the fact that there were no men...

Mar 28, 07 3:21 am  · 
 · 

Some guys tend to fancy the shot with some really fashionable hot sexy blonde females with sunglasses and mini skirts.
it's a dirty technique but it works ... at least for me
wat do u think guys ?

Mar 28, 07 3:49 am  · 
 · 
Medit

I've seen from Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain (yes, Kurt) to Marilyn Monroe and Humphrey Bogart (yes, Bogart).... and not only in Archigram biographies

Mar 28, 07 4:45 am  · 
 · 
hobbitte

I'm a girl and I tend to use really fashionable hot sexy blonde females with sunglasses and mini skirts in my dirty renderings... and it worked for me too, because it appeals to your typical studio critics.

Mar 28, 07 6:47 am  · 
 · 
snooker

There was an office where I worked that had alot of those 1960 renderings hanging around the office for highrise buildings, and expansive plazas. The guy who did the renderings was fantastic, they were smooth and flowing. One day I was looking at one of those plaza drawings when one of the older guys comes up behind me and points out a dog peeing on a ladies leg. He says if you look close enough you will find that dog in very one of his renderings doing his duty.

Mar 28, 07 7:48 am  · 
 · 
pandpieri

Usually put animals in all the time, jack russels or large cows tend to draw attention from lousy designs.....

But skip the renderings and go directly on real life Cad-blocks for authenticity throughout the process.

http://www.partiv.com/2007/03/real-life-dwgs.html

Mar 28, 07 7:56 am  · 
 · 
antipod

Nice, those did the round here in London a week or so a ago.

I had a tutor who put cow(s) and steam trains in all his models, regardless of the context or scale. Sweet.

I put King Kong in a section once...he is the king after all....

Mar 28, 07 9:01 am  · 
 · 
cln1

my favorite, is to use people from the actual site, or city that the project is located in (if possible) - gives the rendering a sense of reality - even if i am the only one who knows it...

Mar 28, 07 9:39 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

I stockpile mine in one photoshop file that is getting rather fat.
other faves...

everyone in tux's

my friend doing the buddy jesus

a knight

the naked cowboy

grandparents ballroom dancing

streetkids drumming (good for urban renders that beg a crowd)

Mar 28, 07 10:38 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Any good sites for free entourage?

Mar 28, 07 10:40 am  · 
 · 
pandpieri

there are a few to be found here, not too many though: www.lespaysagistes.com

if my french doesnt let me down i think they are totally free to use.
Any more? Anyone?

Mar 28, 07 11:00 am  · 
 · 

back in the day before ps & cad renderings were the norm I used to stick people on my line drawings from magazines.

I found cosmo and playboy were crap because they rarely showed full lengths of people (unless they were lying down....full page spread). So it was usually the trendy elle or those "learn to sow" magazines you get in the supermarket for about a nickle

My mate tends to use Halle Berry alot, deceptively so

Mar 28, 07 11:31 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite
http://freecg.blogspot.com/

This blog has done a good job of running down all the free stuff available for renderings.

Mar 28, 07 11:33 am  · 
 · 
not without

models from w&lt (great clothes), models from dsquared (great bodies), and mannequins from the photos of bernard faucon (great what the hell...?)

Mar 28, 07 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i am going to start using garwondlers in mine...

Mar 28, 07 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
cadalyst
Mar 28, 07 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

(I did once sneak a garwondler in the far, far background. When he's only a couple pixels tall he's really quite fetching.)

Mar 28, 07 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

I used to use Chewbacca pretty frequently, but after awhile I began to realize the 7+ foot tall wookie made my ceilings look low.

Mar 28, 07 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

this guys showed up in metropolis...based loosely on the originals

Mar 28, 07 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

homeless RPC's would rock

Mar 29, 07 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

Have you ever had clients make weird comments regarding the people you chose to put in a rendering?

I was once asked to take a woman out of a rendering because the client thought she looked like "a slut."

Apr 27, 07 2:04 pm  · 
 · 

she was a slut wasn't she...dirty!

Apr 27, 07 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

i'de like to start using pirates. i'de like to design a nice prosthetics care center, and having hobbling pirates with peg legs and parrots as my rendered people. i'm talking 15-20 pirates in various shapes and sizes with sweet weapons and eye patches. i feel like it would really be the selling point because pirates are pretty much the most badass kinds of humans with tattered limbs.

May 1, 09 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
phuyaké

Now that this thread has been brought back to my attention; I forgot I had collected a few images over the years of the guy in question from my original post (his image is gone above, but he's the potential pocket pooling fellow in the khaki suit). From WTC7 to Eisenmann to Zaha to crappy developments in Brooklyn, he's been around:

May 1, 09 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

I'm gonna start populating my drawings with the Amish. I figure they'll provide a nice contrast to the modern sexiness around them...

May 1, 09 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
jizzy

n_ and Hasselhoff, great ideas. subliminal messaging using naked chicks, y didnt i think of that? oh wait i did. i not only put naked chicks in my ptf, but on one page i had a girl being humped by a dog. it was a silhouette in the background, and was positioned so that if you weren't looking carefully, it just looked like the woman was bending down to pick something up while the dog was jumping up. but look closer and you can see the true story. im pretty sure it got me into the top colleges

May 1, 09 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
simples

phuyaka...i read your thread title, and that "guy" immediately popped in my mind...glad to know he is the same person, and he gets to travel around the world looking at all prospects of what architecture could be...

i think i have an idea for halloween...time to practice that "pose"

May 1, 09 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

This is really old school, I know, but. . .I found this guy at some free entourage site, recently. I had to add his right elbow. . .

May 2, 09 1:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: