Archinect
anchor

Most Ridiculous Job Interview

med.

So I've been interviewing at a lot of places in the past few weeks, and I've seen my fair share of good firms and down right bad firms. But I want to tell you guys my experiences at this one particular one.

First of all, my expectations going into this interview were low (lousy work, corporate, uninspiring location etc). I was just doing it to return the courtessy of them inviting me for an interview after seeing my resume at a job fair. The interview started off just like any other, but when they were reviewing my portfolio, I noticed all they did was flip the pages fast and ask if everything done was in CAD. Like I had all these nice digital and hand renderings, physical models, etc and they were like "what is that, is that CAD?"

Afterwards, their HR person gave me a FUCKEN AUTOCAD QUIZ!

I asked, "Are you serious?" So I took, it did well on it, and after all that bullcrap, she started to talk about a salary that was unacceptable for me. She was like well we like to start off our employees at around 35k. Benefits, I asked? "Well, you get free parking and we have an anual Christmas potluck."

I thanked her for the extremely entertaining afternoon, and left.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Mar 26, 07 7:40 am
J3

I once had an interview just like that, except I walked out on the CAD test. I found it insulting...However, I have come to understand it's purpose. There have been a few persons we hired recently who sold themselves as "do it all" persons, yet they SUCK at autocad (unfortunatelly this is the std. toll in our industry). Let me clarify that at our firm everyone from the intern to VP's are expected to participate in all phases of a project...and specially someone with 5years exp. should be able to start to put together a set of CD's. I still do have an issue with a "CAD test" but feel that it can be handled much more professionally than a "test". Simply by asking technical questions one can judge the persons capabilities.
Side note: i've worked at different firms which used Microstation, and Archicad...and at the end of the day, if you know what you are doing...it doesn't matter what "drafting" software you use...you have to know how things come together (drawings, details...etc.)

I'm glad you are able to find the humor in all this...I certainly did.

Mar 26, 07 7:51 am  · 
 · 

sounds normal.

except for the quiz. that's a new wrinkle that has been discussed here before but that i haven't witnessed.

salary sounds normal, too. what is the going rate in va these days? in ky, 35k really doesn't sound out of line.

and i'm sure, if it's a full-time salaried position, that there is health ins, vacation, etc. she maybe didn't fully understand the question.

Mar 26, 07 7:52 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I've had a few bad ones, but there's a couple that really take the cake:

One particularly bad interview had been set up by a temp agency, so I was already on guard. I don't think I've ever had a temp gig that worked out well.

I knew things were headed in a bad direction when I walked into the reception lobby at this dull suburban office park and noticed that the only magazines they had on the table were several years' worth of Architectural Digest.

In addition, all the photos of the walls were of various McMansions this firm had proudly built, often using the same floor plan but with interchangeable "English Tudor" or "Colonial" or "Mission Style" facades.

And during the interview itself, the firm partner was a dead ringer for the "Lumburgh" character from the movie Office Space. "Riiiiight..."

I have to say, though, it was actually one of the more relaxing interviews I've ever had, mainly becuase I knew within five seconds that there wasn't enough money on earth to make it worth my while to work there. I BS'ed my way through the interview and then kicked the dust off my feet as I left the office and took a long shower when I got home.

Later, I moved to NYC and found myself looking for work among Manhattan architecture firms. I had sent my resume to almost every firm in the city, and got a call back. Not even 30 seconds into the phone conversation, the partner is asking me what my salary requirements are. Not a good sign.

I gave her a broad range based on my experience level and prior salary history, and she immediately began to argue with me, saying my number was too high. All this, mind you, without even meeting me or seeing my portfolio. She then tried to justify it by saying that average salaries are lower in NYC than they are in Philly (where I had moved from). Anybody with half a brain cell knows this is a steaming crock of shit. We didn't really resolve the salary issue on the phone, so she invited me in for an interview.

By this time I was already pretty much put off from working for her, but the firm was on the top floor of the Empire State Building, and I was curious to check out the view.

I showed up at the appointed time and place, only to have to wait 20 minutes for this person to show up. When she finally did show up, she spent about 30 minutes of my "interview" talking with her project manager about project-related stuff, internal office issues, and other things that had absolutely nothing to do with me. It was like I didn't even exist in the room.

Again, I left that interview confident in the knowledge that I never wanted to darken the door of that firm again.

Mar 26, 07 8:05 am  · 
 · 
med.

I was given several offers in less expensive areas for 40k+benefits and bonuses, but I am thinking about accepting a job in the D.C. area -- both offers are just under 50k/year. Both offices are really good, they produce good work, there is actually architecture there, and they emphasized design philosophy in their basis of trying to recruit me. Plus it's D.C. Apparently a good place to be an architect.

I understand the needs of people who know CAD, but since that other firm seemed to heavily emphasize it and nothing else. It just reeked of a giant pigeon hole.

Mar 26, 07 8:09 am  · 
 · 
Medit
she spent about 30 minutes of my "interview" talking with her project manager about project-related stuff, internal office issues, and other things that had absolutely nothing to do with me.

so you had time to check out the extraordinary views then... :)

where I am [BCN] some firms also do CAD tests... I've never found myself in the situation but a friend did, and he actually was paid for the test, which was nothing but drawing -4 hours in one afternoon- a facade for one of the current projects they were working on...
He found another -better- job, though.

Mar 26, 07 8:50 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

I had an interview here in L.A. with a boutique firm who had recently won a national AIA award but otherwise was fairly unnotable. One of the two principals was supposed to interview me, but then took a phone call and sent in an associate. We had a nice chat, went through the portfolio, finished up and the guy complimented me on my work and said he would talk about me with Principal X, we shake hands and I'm headed out the door.. I'm in the parking lot when the Principal appears in a huff, and asks rhetorically if I don't want an interview after all? Despite the snotty treatment, I go back in and re-enact the same presentation over again. This time, the Principal X can't be bothered to listen to me or look at the work, and is turning the pages for me when he gets bored. I am very cautious to not drone on forever, but this guy's attention span is limited to about 15 seconds a page. Then we get to some work I did at Behnisch when I was right out of school, and this guy starts going nuts, talking trash about their work, criticizing details (I mean, this guy has no room to talk) and second guessing every decision in the project, peppered with some comments about my grad school work along the lines of "you people don't learn anything about creating great architecture". The interview ends more or less on this note, I leave the room before I punch him in the face, and I put the guy's name in the increasingly long column of jackasses that I've met since I began working in LA.

Some two weeks later, I get a message on my answering machine from Principal X. I call him back (expecting a verbal beating for something he saw in my portfolio and only recently realized that he hated). He offers me a job for the number that I asked for at the beginning of the interview (I'm surprised he was listening). I tell him I've already accepted another offer, and he goes off on me for not giving them a chance to beat the other offer, and it's unprofessional, and don't you know that LA is a small town, etc. etc. This scolding goes on for some time, so when he finally stops I've run through a number of bratty comebacks, but eventually settled on just hanging up on him and going to lunch.

Mar 26, 07 10:27 am  · 
 · 
Medusa

I once had an interviewer stipulate that I would have to provide my own computer. I did not walk, I ran away from that place.

Mar 26, 07 11:21 am  · 
 · 
med.

"you don't sound like you have enough experience or ability to be insulted by a cad test. also, you aren't doing anyone a courtesy by wasting their time by interviewing for a position which you have no intention of taking.

by the way, that christmas potluck just sounds delightful..."
-j

Someone get this guy some coffee.

If they would have made me a solid offer and dropped the CAD test, I could have seriously considered the job. I don't mind doing repetitive CAD details, but the offices that offered a wide range of tasks seem more attractive to me. Your assumptions were pretty humorous though. You're right though, I don't have that much experience, but the job market right now is nice enough for us to have the luxury to pick and choose where we want to work.

Mar 26, 07 11:29 am  · 
 · 

i probably made the same assumptions, archmed. because your archinect profile says 'entry level'.

Mar 26, 07 11:33 am  · 
 · 

Janosh- in that situation, I would have really tried to come up with the guts to say "Yes!" when they asked me if I had changed my mind about the interview. I feel especially sorry for you, because it sounds a loooot like my firm.

My worst interview ever: I was cold calling and emailing resumes to anyone with a decent-looking website, even those that were a little out of my way, because at that point I was desperate. I recieved a response from one firm with some verrry nice residential work only half an hour after I'd sent of the resume. They called and said they wanted me to come in that week for an interview. It was scheduled, I went. It went about like this:
"So, when did you graduate."
"Oh! Actually, I'm a third year student looking for a summer internship, as I stated right (reaches accross to point at objective of resume) here." Big smile.
"oh. Welll, actually, we only hire designers who have graduated and have a minimum of two years experience post-graduation."
"Well, I'm sorry, but I stated very clearly that I'm an undergraduate intern. Where do we go from here?"
"Lets see your book anyway, it's always good to see the up-and-coming talent."
I spent ten minutes there. I'd driven 45 to get there. I was PISSED.

Mar 26, 07 11:44 am  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

May I ask, how much experience you do have? 50k in DC sounds good, but its the same as 40k+ benefits in less expensive areas.

And I still don't see what's so insulting about CAD tests. Believe it or not some firms have efficiency standards to meet in order for profitability, sure you know autocad, but enough to meet their standards and needs? I think that's what their main concern is.

Mar 26, 07 11:49 am  · 
 · 
nambypambics

Oh my... a little over a year ago I had the mother of all ridiculous job interviews. I emailed this narrative to many friends, so here you go. Happy Monday.

It was for a job as an artist's assistant. I walk into the studio and the manager, who is very nice, showed me around the different rooms. There are many beautiful, world-class facilities and tools. Different artworks are pointed out to me, including the first project I would hypothetically produce, which is a piece for the World Trade Center, either 7 WTC or the Freedom Tower itself. It is a topiary, about 200' tall, and it is some kind of nonexistent creature that is somewhat like a dog and somewhat like a horse, that was originally formed of "Duplo" lego blocks by the Artist's two year old child. It looks like giant lego blocks made of flowers. Including an eyeball. There is a waterfall that comes out of the creature's butt and winds in a waterfall down its leg. It was a huge topiary dog pissing down its own leg. It was totally inappropriate for the World Trade Center. Immediately, I realized that I cannot possibly be responsible for this artwork, and that the artwork was probably approved solely for the purpose of generating public outcry so that the developers can put in any bland piece of corporate sculpture they wish, solely to ensure that it will not be this thing.

I am introduced to the Artist, who is very friendly and polite. He shakes hands with his left hand because he has injured the right hand.

Artist and his assistant sit down at the table with me. Artist asks me how I am doing, and the assistant dives right in to my software abilities and work experience. I am deemed experienced and competent. We discuss the fact that I have had previous experience as a realistic-sealife sculptor for a major science museum. Artist wants to know why he can't see, on his screen in real time but remote, what is on his sculpture fabricator's screen in their studio, far away. I tell him that I think my friend, who works at Google, trains classes remotely by some process in which they all log in to a website and then they can hear his voice and see him moving things around on their screens. I also mention that uploading to shared servers, and illegal spyware, are two other ways that you can see what is happening on someone else's computer but have it appear on your screen. He is interested and tells an assistant to find out about this technology, immediately. He asks me about whether employees at Google are treated generously by getting stock options. I tell him that stock shares are part of each employee's compensation, as far as I know. Then, Artist tells me that his great-uncle was hanging out on the steps of his farmhouse a long time ago, and then... where did I grow up? Seattle. Do I have a farm? No, but my aunt has a farm in Idaho and I had a horse when I was younger, so I am familiar with farms. Artist tells me that, oh, speaking of Seattle, he knows a famous philanthropic family in Seattle, and he and a major art dealer stayed at Inn at the Market when they went to Seattle to propose this sculpture-in-the-round of Artist and his ex wife during coitus for the Seattle Art Museum but it got turned down... and... Artist has a farm in Pennsylvania but can only stay there two days a week, though in a few years he would like to relax more and stay there three days a week. Anyway, Artist's great-uncle was sitting on the porch and some traveling salesman came by and sold the great-uncle AT&T stocks, and he did really well by them. So it's great that Google gives stocks to their employees and it's great that I am close friends with a Google employee so I get to hear about all their technologies.

The studio manager interjects to get the interview back on-topic, and asks me specifically about my ability to do very intricately detailed Photoshop work. I explain that I do a lot of intricate Photoshop work, including removal of skin blemishes and removal of fat, and in one instance, outlining the head and long, flowing, individual wind-blown hairs of a celebrity and Photoshopping it onto the body of a different model. Artist then tells me that he thinks Mariah Carey is a lovely woman and doesn't see why anyone thinks she should be thinner, because she is obviously fit and healthy, just not skinny. I agree with him on this. Then Artist asks me if I have ever seen Mariah Carey's car. I have not seen her car. He orders three staff members to immediately do a Google search for her car, which I believe costs $480,000, made by Volkswagen, and called the Maybach. They locate the homepage of this luxury vehicle and we all stand around looking at the website as he investigates the fine print to prove that it really IS made by Volkswagen, which you wouldn't THINK of as a luxury brand, but they wanted to compete, and Mariah Carey drives one of these cars. We spend another fifteen minutes discussing Mariah Carey and her luxuy automobile.

At some point during the aforementioned interactions, I was asked to try on a wig that was on someone's desk, because Artist is prop styling an upcoming feature film, and I have fair skin, and wore the ideal shade of red lipstick to the job interview. They wanted to see if the wig looked good next to the royal blue shade that is the base color on the box of Chips Ahoy! cookies that was on one of the work tables, and which are Artist's favorite snack. They took several digital photographs of me wearing the wig, holding Chips Ahoy to my face. I don't even remember how that happened.

Then they mention the fact that they want someone who will stay on for at least five years, and not leave after just a few months.

I smile and nod.

Artist thanks me for coming in and offers his left hand to shake again. He explains that he hurt his right hand because he was holding a baby and tripped, and almost dropped the baby but instead fell so that all the weight landed on his right hand and the baby was safe. The child was his son. His oldest son is about to have a child and Artist will soon be a grandfather.

I smile and nod. I shake Artist's left hand. I cannot believe that, at my job interview, he has told me that he recently almost dropped a baby.

The project manager shakes my hand and thanks me, and tells me that they will let me know about when to come in for a follow-up interview.

I leave.

The next day, they call to offer me the job, at a decent wage (but less than what I was earning at the time), with the reason cited, "You were the only one who didn't seem afraid of Artist."

Mar 26, 07 11:49 am  · 
 · 
not without

i said i knew autocad during my interview for my first post-grad job in nyc, but i only knew how to extend and trim. luckily i sat next to a guy who had no problem answering all my questions (like, is there a poche command?)...then i quit. now i feel confident doing autocad all the time.........kill me

Mar 26, 07 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
med.

"May I ask, how much experience you do have? 50k in DC sounds good, but its the same as 40k+ benefits in less expensive areas."
-heres your sign

One offer was for 47k, a moving bonus of 2k, paid vacation, christmas bonus, benefits etc. The other was just about the same. So it will be a tough decision.

To be honest, I don't have much experience. I worked for a year in total, one was for a summer internship and then a 7 months full time job right before I started grad school. In those jobs I mostly did renderings, digital models, presentation drawings, competition posters, and then got into CDs at my own request. It was decent experience, not the greatest, but it seemed to get me what I needed.

"And I still don't see what's so insulting about CAD tests. Believe it or not some firms have efficiency standards to meet in order for profitability, sure you know autocad, but enough to meet their standards and needs? I think that's what their main concern is."
- here's your sign

I wasnt insulted at all. I was just very surprised because it was the first time I encountered such a thing. What bothered me was the fact that they were only interested in me being cad monkey the entire time and not interested in my development as an architectr in which many firms were the opposite. And it was annoying sitting arond talking to them about all the different iterations of Autodesk's AutoCAD and Architectural desktop.

Mar 26, 07 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Let me share with you a story I've told here before -- from the employer's perspective.

About 5 years ago I received a very nicely presented resume (via e-mail) from a candidate who was raised and trained in another country, but who now lived in our city. The resume was well prepared and had none of the grammatical or spelling errors that now seem to be commonplace on resumes. I knew a little of the school where the candidate had been trained, he showed what appeared to be a decent work history. He claimed prior experience with our firm's building type. The resume showed a local mailing address, but did not provide a phone number.

Based on this resume and since he was local, I sent him an e-mail reply, inviting him in for an interview. We exchanged 3-4 e-mails working through the logistics as to date and time -- all of the e-mails were perfectly acceptable.

When the guy arrived here for the interview, he arrived wearing black slacks and a white v-neck undershirt. He brought no portfolio. He did not speak a word of english.

Fortunately, we have a staff member who speaks this fellow's language. I enlisted his help and spent about 30-minutes with the candidate. As it turned out, in his country portfolios were not needed for job interviews -- apparently, the place where you went to school was the single meaningful "qualifying" criteria. It also turned out that he was in the US on a tourist visa and had no legal basis on which to hold employment here. He never did explain to us who had been communicating with us on his behalf.

I tell this true story only to point out that "interview disasters" can occur on both sides of the table.

Mar 26, 07 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
med.

J, the potluck was lovely. But I was full at the time so I thought the free parking sounded better.

Mar 26, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 

quiz- they certainly can. Did he promise to wear undershirts every day, or was that a special interview thing?

Mar 26, 07 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Quizzical, I have a dilema that is similar in a way.

See, I have a foreign first and last name, but I was born and raised in the states. So most of the potential employers would call me (or email me) first to ask me if I am eligible to work in the US and some were downright forthcoming and asked if I was"legal." They were like: "Sir, are you legally able to work in the United States."

I totally understood the situation so in one of my last resumes I stated under a "Languages" heading that English was my native language, and the others were secondary. It seemed to have worked.

Mar 26, 07 12:28 pm  · 
 · 

i went to a structural engineers office and the guy interviewed me said i 'letter' like a woman and should learn to put some 'umph' to my lettering skills and call for an interview when i have that skill.

those were the days of parallel bar and H pencils.

in an another one;
called to an office i saw in the classified, they told me to come in for an interview right o way. so i get there with my primative portfolio and hand over my resume to the vp who was interviewing me and he looks at me after he reads my .5 page resume and says, 'we don't hire people from sci arc'. holla. i ask why? and he tells me because we don't know anything about the real world and sci arc people they hired before were asked to leave the office after few weeks because they didn't know how to follow directions.

i spat on the door of the engineer once i was out, and, told the receptionist that the office was fucked at the second place, with an extra voice change on the f word to make sure the principal who had an office nearby heard.

Mar 26, 07 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I have a very common first and last name. In an effort to appear more sophisticated to potential employers, I submit all resumes under the pseudonym "Le Corbusier."

Mar 26, 07 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical
Archmed

: I have those same questions sometimes when I read resumes - they are important issues for employers.

If you were so inclined, I think you could solve the problem simply by inserting in the "personal information" section on your resume a) the place of your birth; b) the languages you speak (indicating what you indicate above) and c) your citizenship.

rationalist: I think he "dressed up" for this interview - I suspect his everyday wear would be cut-offs and flip-flops

Mar 26, 07 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I actually was thinking about dressing up like Borat and doing the cheak kissing thing instead of the handshake. But I think they would have totally been too "open-minded" about that.

Mar 26, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

if you don't intend on taking the job, don't waste their time by going on the interview. your time must not be that valuable, since you wasted your own time going on it. oh wait, your time is worth 50k/yr (40k/yr where i'm from).

other than that, i do agree, a cad test is fairly insulting...your word should suffice...that and a probationary period once hired.

Mar 26, 07 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

Wait, there is nothing wrong with going to an interview for practice. I would encourage it.

No personal experiences to share, except the time I was verbally told I had the job at the interview, only to find out later they had changed their mind and "forgot" to tell me. Good thing I called back to get the terms in writing, and they were like, "Oh, yeh, you... we offered you a job didn't we... yeh, that's not going to work out anymore." (It was the week of 9-11, so I can't blame them, except for the not telling me part.)

Mar 26, 07 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

oh, and if entry level is at 50k now, I need a fucking raise. seriously.

Mar 26, 07 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
med.

"if you don't intend on taking the job, don't waste their time by going on the interview. your time must not be that valuable, since you wasted your own time going on it. oh wait, your time is worth 50k/yr (40k/yr where i'm from)." - ochona

I was definatley not wasting anyone's time including my own. Sorry I made it sound like that. I wanted to interview with as many firms as possible to get a feel for what kind of environment was right for me. Like I said, I would have considered an offer from them (asuming they would make me one) because asside from the CAD test and the pay, it wasn't that bad a place. It is a very nice office and the people seemed pretty good, but I just felt like other offices that I had either already visited or visited afterwards were better fits for me. I didn't establish that until after the interview and the shock of just taking a CAD quiz.

"other than that, i do agree, a cad test is fairly insulting...your word should suffice...that and a probationary period once hired."

I know Auto CAD okay. I'm not great at it, but I can use it here and there. I even made no secret of that in my resume. Most of my experience has been contained to producing digital renderings, competition boards, and digital models. It wasn't until later that I requested to be taught how to produce CDs and CA work and we used vectorworks. But I did great on their test. It was all computer based and I was asked to do a wall section, and an elevation of an "ideal shopping plaza."

Mar 26, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

No kidding, Strawbeary... I wasn't even making 50k in New York City with 10 years experience. Apparently I need to improve my salary negotiation skills.

Mar 26, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Oh strawberry, like I said. The salary that both firms offered were around 47k, christmas bonuses, and a 3k moving expense bonus. The position would be Architect I. It's located in the DC area and most people I spoke with said that is normal cuz' DC is expensive.

I wouldn't really know because I've lived in tiny little hamlets my entire life and both schools I went to (undergrad and grad were your average large size universities located in college towns. There, I paid rent in some appartments for as low as $190 a month.

I will admit it was the highest offer I had seen to date. I saw as low as 34k to as high as that 47k. And I admit that I was definately pretty dazzled by the offer because it exceeded my expectation.

Mar 26, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical
"a cad test is fairly insulting...your word should suffice...that and a probationary period once hired"

I can't tell you the number of times when we've be legitimately surprised with the low level of CAD skills actually demonstrable after we've hired somebody. While we don't yet ask candidates to take a CAD test, we are giving the idea serious consideration.

Sad to say, "your word" simply isn't good enough anymore -- too many candidates play fast-and-loose with the concept of candor. And, relying on the probationary period is a safety valve of last resort -- by the time you have to use that release, project schedules are in the crapper, production budgets are blown and other qualified candidates have moved on to other situations.

It's really expensive and time consuming to fill a vacant position -- IMHO, anything, within reason, we can do to make sure the time and effort will pan out is worth considering. In the long run, such measures also are in the best interests of the candidate. Nobody wants to be a round peg in a square hole.

Mar 26, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 

I had a boss that implemented CAD testing because he'd been screwed so many times. He was a sole proprietor who did not know CAD himself, and so if the candidate was not COMPLETELY self-sufficient with AutoCAD, he was screwed. I had to administer tests for my replacement- there was no predecided standard of passing or failing, but I can state with ease that every single person I tested failed. I gave them a print of a basic, dimensioned, kitchen layout, and asked them to reproduce it in a new file. They could not think of where to start (anywhere, dipshit. wherever you feel comfortable), could not set up lineweights, could not use paperspace, and sometimes could not even draw straight lines that connected neatly at the corners. Yes every single one of them claimed on their resumes to be proficient in AutoCAD. That man would have been a moron NOT to use a cad test.

Mar 26, 07 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Yikes, rationalist. I think some of those people work at my firm now.

Mar 26, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 

ha. I guess you should go into a cadtest with the attitude that, "well, at least if they're doing this, hopefully my coworkers will actually be competent at this job."

Mar 26, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
SuperBeatledud

archmed, i've worked for a couple of firms in DC, and know of several others. If you feel comfortable to PM me the one's you're looking, I can give you some insight if any.

Mar 26, 07 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

archmed, i've never heard of a moving bonus for an entry level employee, and 47k is still more than I've ever heard of for entry level, in any city. Maybe you aren't really "entry level"?

What does Architect 1 mean? If it is what I think it is (5 years-ish out of school, almost licensed, that's what I am), then YOU need a raise.

Mar 26, 07 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Strawbeary,

It puzzled me too. But again, it was the highest offer I've seen. No I'm definately not almost liscenced. I still need about a year-and-a-half of IDP before I'm even elligible to take the exam.

I just worked for about 7 months before grad school fulltime and I did summer internships in undergrad. During grad school, I was an IT graduate assistant for all the computer labs in the arch. building, but I also worked with the university architect and I taught a digital modelling class. -- if you could even count any of that as experience.

The most common offer I saw was 40k starting, but since the ones in D.C were the best in terms of slaray and work environment, I am considering those more.

Oh and my portfolio and resume clearly stated that I had only less than 1 year of experience at arch firms. So I didn't lie about anything. I would never do that.

But I can tell you that the interviews went extraordinarly well. I tried to play all the cards right.

Mar 26, 07 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

OK then, sounds like your offers are normal, nice, where they should be, etc... Nevermind me.

Mar 26, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 

....but now it sounds like I need a raise!

Mar 26, 07 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

^ regarding that, I wish we could have a salary poll in thread central or something. I know it sucks to tell people what you actually make, but it would also be extrememly helpful. since we "know" each other, but then again really don't, would it be horrible? I would go first.

Mar 26, 07 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I make peanuts.

Mar 26, 07 4:51 pm  · 
 · 

apparently, my raise last year only ensures that I'm still making fresh-out-of-school salary. So really, it's like I have no experience at all, despite the fact that they rely on me as much as someone who had been here for a decade.

Mar 26, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

cashews are nice

Mar 26, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I hear that. If I switched firms right now, I bet I'd get a 8-10k raise. So much for loyalty.

Mar 26, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
farwest1

I interviewed at a corporate firm in Seattle about ten years ago. Two partners were at the table interviewing me.

About ten minutes into the interview, and for no apparent reason, one of the partners began talking about how they would not tolerate theft of office supplies. He became very animated--angry almost--about the issue of office supply theft. This went on for a couple of minutes, then back to the regular interview. I felt like I was in a Monty Python sketch.

I got an offer, but I found it so weird that he would bring this up in an interview that I declined the job.

Mar 24, 10 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

Around spring break time of my 4th year of undergrad I was interviewing for a summer intership prior to my final year of BArch. At one medium sized firm the owner came into the interview and asked me a pile of questions about Architecture college. Then when he was done he said something like "so what do interns get paid these days? $10/hour work for you? When can you start?" The look on the interviewers face was priceless. Ended up being the only real offer I got, so come May I was calling the firm seeing when I could start. Wasn't getting any of my messages returned and wondered what happened. At that same time the school district that my Mother worked at was getting several buildings remodeled by the same firm. She happened to run into the firm president at something and mentioned that I was waiting to hear back from them. That very next day I was starting work there. Bizzare.

Mar 24, 10 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
zoolander

I stopped reading after the first 2 posts in this thread.

Architects need to catch themselves on and get over the ego. Why get annoyed by autocad questions?

You must realise that architecture is a business and they are looking for people that make them a profit. Playing with cardboard models and getting deep on theory are not the reality in the majority of offices.

People who can render, photoshop, model make and ponder the deep architectural catch 22's are 10 the the dozen.

Go learn the law, planning and buiding regulations inside-out and you might be as useful to practices.

Some of your think your the next corbusier in waiting. How about taking the silly interview rubbish with a pinch of salt and then get in the door and show them how good your are?

Mar 25, 10 4:52 am  · 
 · 
w4000

I interviewed once after graduating with my B.Arch and was told the work I produced was far better than their current staff and any other applicants. But because I would eventually have to go back to school, they were going to hire someone with a Masters.

I returned with telling them that going back for master's wasn't necessary and I could just work during the two years and get my stamp thru experience. The interviewer appearently didnt know this and get really flustered.

Is it really that hard to not keep up with the current Ncarb/Idp requirements for your own state?

Mar 25, 10 10:51 am  · 
 · 
prairie school drop out

i once had an interviewer go on and on about how he believed in paying his interns a living wage. he then offered me the job for 800/month (no over time, but i sure would be working overtime!). this was in nyc (well, actually brooklyn), just a few years ago. although i sometimes wish i snarkily explained to him what "living wage" means, i held my tongue and politely turned down the offer.

Mar 25, 10 11:07 am  · 
 · 
poop876

w40,
you told them that it's not necessary to go back to school for March, yet you told them you would have to go back with a Barch? Back for something else?

Mar 25, 10 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

zoolander,
that was one of the best comments I've read in a while!!!!!

Mar 25, 10 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
archrise

I was reading a few posts on this thread and was really confused when I came to:

med. - "You're right though, I don't have that much experience, but the job market right now is nice enough for us to have the luxury to pick and choose where we want to work."

It was then that I realized that this thread had been resurrected from 2007!

Mar 25, 10 4:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: