Archinect
anchor

Modelling in Maya

R0CA

Hey,

I was wondering what peoples methods for modelling in maya were. Do you model straight into it or do you use some other sort of CAD software to draft it and then use maya to render??

thnx

Mar 6, 07 4:03 pm
archislacker

I have had my best luck modeling in Rhino then importing into Maya. Maya is not very user friendly when it comes to modeling but is great for rendering and animating.

Mar 6, 07 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
robertolinski

I do all of my modelling in maya and zbrush. It's more visually friendly than other programs.

Mar 6, 07 6:37 pm  · 
 · 

You're gonna get a lot of different answers to this question, ROCA. It depends on what you want to do, but chances are that whatever method you use, you're going to be switching back and forth alot between two or three modeling and drafting applications.

The more you learn, the better.

I hated Maya and thought it was very unfriendly before I really knew what I was doing, but now I'd rather use it for a lot of things instead of Rhino.

Mar 6, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
R0CA

Yeah, I'm trying to do a noob draft of my home into it, but the unit scale isn't helping. I switched to feet and when I zoom out everything blacks out. I think its a limitation on the camera. LIke view distance in video games.

Mar 6, 07 8:24 pm  · 
 · 

view >> camera attribute editor >> near clip = .001 far clip = 100000

press f to center your building

Mar 6, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
R0CA

dot, i kneel before you!

thnx man. I'm trying to teach myself maya. i wonder if theres a better or more recommended piece of software.

Mar 7, 07 4:39 am  · 
 · 

just keep pluggin and you will see the value of using this tool over others, but be aware it is just one of many.

Mar 7, 07 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
Cherith Cutestory

F1 is all you need to know. use it, learn it, love it.

Mar 7, 07 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
grid

model straight in maya. it's easy once you get the hang of it.

Mar 7, 07 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
nothing_is_everything

yes, but do you model in nurbs or polygons?
which is more useful to architectural applications?

i use nurbs...because i learned them...so i am wondering about the rest of you

Mar 8, 07 4:42 am  · 
 · 
R0CA

I think it depends on the type of architecture you're trying to model. I really don't know much about architecture or modelling, but from what I've read, NURBS is better for organic shapes due to the number of detail points compared to Polygons, but it also takes more processing to render....I don't know if that matters since we're not really animating. NURBS are really good for organic shapes and Polygons can do organic, but NURBS are better suited for it

Mar 8, 07 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

I'd like to hear about any tips/tricks in modelling accurately in Maya (I hate Max because its tools are hidden and confusing.)

Feb 5, 09 6:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: