Archinect
anchor

Portfolio crit +Job advice

drawscape

I just graduated from a 5 year architecture program and now I am about to look for a job all over the world.

Here is my first draft of my portfolio: http://issuu.com/dwinstead/docs/portfolio_1.0

There are two things I would be very thankful for some advice on

Portfolio-
-Do the writings explain the projects well, so that it is pretty clear what they are about?
-Any misspellings that I missed? (I spelled checked over and over again, but I’m sure I missed something)
-Do certain projects need more diagrams, more detailed drawings, etc
-At some point I am going to replace the 3rd project with a another project that will take some time to redo.

Getting a job-
-I am planning on looking at the US, Asia and Europe. I have never been outside the country, so I’m not really sure what to expect. I also have never had an architecture job. Any advice on how to go about getting a job, to any place I should go to or avoid would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Jul 15, 12 10:20 pm
RH-Arch

To start you spelled "a part" as "apart" in your objective statement, which is the first thing you have, and also rather unnecessary.. 

Your two blank pages are also unnecessary and makes the introduction seem to take forever. Imagine you are presenting it at an interview. They already have a copy of your resume and they know your objective is to get a job, be sustainable, collaborate, support a team, be a leader, change the world, etc. So you show the cover, then you turn and its blank, then you turn to something they should already know, then you turn to an index, then you finally get to your project.

Your space below your "Parti" title is unnecessary, and although you're trying to match the same height and spacing as your project title page, it doesn't connect because you already forget about that formatting by the time you get to it. 

The space at the bottom of page 11 is bothersome.

If you could find some process drawings for project 2, that would be nice.

The 20-21 page spread really has three site plans illustrated differently, you should minimize the two diagrammatic ones and relate them better to the actual site plan.

You're improperly using the"fig. #" since you are not referring to any of the images in text, you're giving a means to reference images without ever referencing them.

Creating a Built Work title pages seems redundant when you turn to the next page to see the title page for the same project pictured. And I wouldn't refer to them as built works, which one would usually associate with professional projects, they are just studio projects that should be given less emphasis due to their nature.

12, 10, 6, 10, 4, 4 Those are the numbers you dedicated to each project respectively. I would suggest trying to cut it down a bit if not in half.

I didn't read all of your descriptions because I have my own books to read right now. 

All in all nice projects.

Jul 16, 12 12:19 am  · 
 · 

Hi J,

I enjoyed looking through your portfolio, some of your images are really beautiful and memorable.

I also just finished a 5-year program and have had a few job interviews. My portfolio is about 40 pages and we typically don't get to look through everything without rushing, so I second Rand's suggestion to condense.

I also didn't read everything, but in your software list, if you are referring to Autodesk's Ecotect software, you have it misspelled as Ecotech. Additionally, listing Adobe before the CS programs is probably unnecessary.

I wish you the best in the job market (even though we're competing)! I think it's really cool that you're looking inside and outside the U.S.

-Dan

Jul 16, 12 10:34 am  · 
 · 
w. architect

You have a professional skills at graphic design!  Aside from the blank pages, and a few minor compliants, I think any Architectural would be eager to hire you.

Great projects and you have really good skills with your rendering software.

Very best of luck out there!

w. architect

Jul 16, 12 11:30 am  · 
 · 
drawscape

First off, thanks for taking the time to look through it, I really appreciate the feed back.

@Rand

The objective is a part I was not really sure if I should add or really what I should write, so I have no problem getting rid of it.

I think you make a great point about condensing (something I always struggle with). It makes sense to think about how I would be presenting it to someone in an interview, and I definitely wouldn't want them to loose interest or skip pages, making my work seem unimportant or that I just did not prepare for that situation.

page 11 has been bugging me too, I think as a part of my condensing efforts maybe I can fix that along with getting rid of redundancies like on page 20 and possibly adding some process drawings for clarity.

Good point with the "built work" section, I didn't think of it that way when I wrote it, but now that you say it, it does make it seem like I have already been building buildings. I'm trying to think of a better name, maybe "constructed pieces" or "Fabricated pieces", something like that.

@ Daniel

Thank you so much for your complements.

I think my goal is to get under 40 pages then, possibly in the 30s

thanks for catching that typo, I always manage to misspell something

ha, well to a fellow competitor, I wish you the best too!

thanks w.architect! best luck to you too!

Jul 16, 12 11:44 am  · 
 · 
med.

Drawscape - your folio is pretty badass.

Jul 16, 12 11:56 am  · 
 · 

Interesting work. The portfolio could use some polishing and tightening, but is generally quite good. You seem to have done a lot of infrastructure/public works projects. Is that something you're looking to focus on professionally?

If you're interested in discussing professional opportunities, drop me a line through the contact page in my profile. We're always looking for new design talent.

Jul 16, 12 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

@Gregory Wharton

Now you will either be swarmed by various other youngins looking for work, or we will see twenty new posts asking people to look at their portfolio...what have you done....

Jul 16, 12 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

I'm always looking for talent. Anybody who thinks they've got what it takes to work as a designer at the international elite level should absolutely get in touch with me. My inbox is industrial strength. Bring it.

Be warned that we're pretty picky about who we hire, though.

Jul 16, 12 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

But then if someone gets hired at your HQ they have to start bicycling and recycling and reading books...

Jul 16, 12 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
Tasneemz

Can I ask what size you used for your portfolio? I am trying to figure out what the best size is for a web portfolio.

Thanks!

Jul 16, 12 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

For a web portfolio the full proportions of a spread should be landscape. If it is strictly for web purposes, just translate a display aspect ratio into the same proportion in inches.

Jul 17, 12 1:59 pm  · 
 · 

I really like the layout and the contrast you use in the body of your portfolio, however the front and the last page, in my opinion are not as exciting as the in-betweens. I think the front page says a lot about the whole portfolio and one should reflect a little more upon it.

I also just graduated from a 5 year degree and job finding is not easy (after 250 applications sent all over europe, I got some decent replies). Good luck Daniel

Jul 18, 12 1:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: