Archinect
anchor

intumescent paint

JohnProlly

Anyone use intumescent paint for one of their projects? I'm looking to obtain specification and determine conditions for application. Develop specification describing removal of spray-on fireproofing, preparation of steel, and application of paint to steel ...

Thankkkks

Feb 27, 07 11:13 am
JohnProlly

Someone recommended this company.

http://www.albi.com/cladtf.html

Anyone use Albi before?

Feb 27, 07 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Never used their intumescent paint, but the driclad fireproofing is fantastic.

Feb 27, 07 11:41 am  · 
 · 
el jeffe

i used it once in a parking area under a building where space was exceptionally tight - the thickness of conventional spray-applied fireproofing would've busted the parking stall dimensions.

it was pretty easy working with an albi rep to get the right product specified.

Feb 27, 07 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

look at these guys

http://carboline.com/fireproofing.aspx

the stuff ain't cheap. In LA you need a liscensed applicator / painter. The paint needs to be applied in many coats, which leads to a higher labor cost. The more steel you have, the less it ends up costing per sq ft...economy of scale

Feb 27, 07 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
JohnProlly

Cost isn't an issue, We're mostly concerned with aesthetics. Thanks for the link Mdler, i'll contact these guys.

Feb 27, 07 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

you can always paint over it...i think

Feb 27, 07 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
Client

i used to work in the theater (scenic artist for broadway plays) and we had to 'flame proof' everything with intumescent paint..it was like a powder that we mixed with all the old paints in a huge drum and then smothered that on all the lumber we used,,,,we never used it on anything other than wood and it was usually just one coating that acted as a primer,,,i've never used it building construction, I'm sure the above links are helpful...

Feb 27, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
antipod

Just remember when detailing, that the stuff swells by about 50-80mm when exposed to fire. It doesn't work if it doesn't swell so you can't stick anything too close to the painted surface.

Feb 28, 07 8:37 am  · 
 · 
OddArchitect

Yup, about a 50:1 expansion for the 'thin' coatings and about 5:1 for the 'thick' coatings. Also it tends to sag when multiple coats are needed to obtain higher fire ratings.

Aug 28, 19 9:51 am  · 
 · 

what does it mean to sag? I haven't noticed this before in our projects. You mean it hangs off the steel, or it has uneven thickness and pools in the center of beams? I'm very curious what I've missed right in front of me.

Aug 29, 19 11:21 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

yeah, i don't get this comment. i imagine that in a controlled and properly applied, this product won't "sag".

Aug 29, 19 11:51 am  · 
 · 

Is this what you mean by sagging? (source)

Aug 29, 19 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
OddArchitect

That's exactly what I mean by sag.  In my limited experience it tends to occur when using solvent based 'thick' products where you have to apply multiple layers to get a higher fire rating (90 min plus). The paint itself is heavy and thick, combined with a high viscosity and it sags to some degree regardless of conditions and application.   Never had an issue with the 'thin' products.  

Aug 29, 19 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

That looks like shit. If I recall higher rated assemblies need to be applied over a long period of time, and one reason to do it in a factory controlled setting. Plus, I mean, gravity?

Aug 29, 19 4:47 pm  · 
 · 

The sagging is usually an issue of applying a coat too thick. I think this is mainly an issue with the one-component formulations (water- or solvent-based). The outermost portion of the coat dries faster than the underlying portion and the skin that develops can look wrinkled or sagged when the underlying portion that is still liquid moves because ... well, gravity as b3ta puts it. 

Thinner coats are able to dry more evenly and sagging shouldn't be as much of an issue. But thinner coats means more coats (more labor, more money, more time) because these coatings need to build up a certain DFT over the steel in order to protect it from fire. I've been told that you can sand the surface of the coating down to get rid of the sagging, but you can only get so far with this, it requires adding/buying extra material so you can sand away some of it, and more labor/money/time. 

Even though they are called thin-film coatings, they can get pretty thick depending on the steel member it is protecting and the hourly rating required as Chad pointed out. I think they are also usually field-applied in the one-component formulations. I've been looking for more information on this but not really finding anything definitive, but I have had conversations about this with product reps. 

There are two-component epoxy intumescent coatings that are more readily able to be shop-applied because they set faster, and are harder films so they are better able to resist damage during transport and erection. These two-component ones are also able to be applied in thicker films per coat reducing the number of coats required (less labor and less time ... like a day or two rather than weeks).

Aug 29, 19 7:14 pm  · 
 · 

Also note there should be a distinction made between what I'm calling intumescent coatings and what I will call intumescent paint. The coatings are actually fire-resistive coatings with hourly ratings having been tested to ASTM E119. The paints are fire-retardant coatings usually only with flame-spread classifications according to ASTM E84. The fire-resistive coatings are meant to protect structural members to achieve a certain fire protection rating (e.g. 2-hours), but the fire-retardant coatings are meant to be applied to combustible materials to achieve a certain flame spread classification (e.g. Class A, or B). The application that Client describes above would be an example of an intumescent paint, probably to ensure that the lumber was a certain flame-spread index (though I don't know about it being a powder that could be mixed into other paints).

Aug 29, 19 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
OddArchitect

Thanks for all of the info EA! That was very informative.

Aug 30, 19 9:12 am  · 
 · 
IndianaVisions

That's great! Thank you all for your expert thoughts.

Aug 30, 19 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
laurencenichols

have a question for anyone out there familiar with intumescent painting process. Does anybody know a ballpark number for what labor per man-hour should be charged, or the cost per square foot to apply the coating. This is for a 3000 square foot ceiling with Type X fire-rated drywall, it needs to be at 30 mils dry, applying force field e-84 intumescent paint. Also any tips on applying this particular product? Thank you.

Mar 2, 20 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You're applying int-paint to a gypsum board surface? Never heard of that before. Got a UL design no. to share?

Mar 2, 20 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
t a z

The Engineering Judgement is in the mail!

Mar 2, 20 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
t a z

The Floor/Ceiling assembly data sheets are presented as remediation to existing construction (i.e. before/after).

The FC9 assembly w/ engineered wood joists and a gyp soffit does seem to offer a "UL 263 Small Scale Test" designation.

Mar 3, 20 10:21 am  · 
 · 

I don't think the presentation on the data sheets precludes using it in a non-remediation application (i.e. new construction). UL 263 is just a test comparable to ASTM E119. The IBC allows both for determining fire-resistance ratings of building elements. 

I haven't dug deep into it, but it does seem like a code-acceptable method of achieving an hourly rating in the assemblies shown on their website. 

Still seems weird that the painter can't figure out how to estimate the job though.

Mar 3, 20 11:59 am  · 
 · 
laurencenichols

yes applying it to Interior gypsum Type X fire-rated drywall. I don't have a UL design to share. From my understanding they're trying to avoid an extensive wall/floor assembly and the 30 dry mil intumescent coating over the sheetrock will be sufficient for the fire rating they're trying to achieve. This is a structure that is commercial on the floor level and a residential on the upper level so I'm applying this to the ceiling of the lower level. I am the painter that is to do the work and trying to figure even a ballpark amount I should be at per man-hour, or ballpark square footage price I should be at. Thank you..

Mar 2, 20 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

What you're suggesting is not an allowable fire-protection solution where I practice. This sounds ridiculous.

Mar 2, 20 1:32 pm  · 
 · 

You're the painter, and you can't figure out how to price a job. Sounds like you're out of your element on this one and you should let the GC hire someone who knows what they're doing.

Mar 2, 20 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

We've done it here for repairs multiple times. Basically, the original construction used Type X on the ceiling... Type C is always the ceiling UL assembly. Note to archs; "Type X" has become a generic term used in code and the usg manuals, but if you crack open the reference UL assembly, only Type C is approved. Another note; you can't add insulation if it isn't listed or you need to add another layer of gyp. So, take a apartment building, 5 stories, 5 buildings. You can't tear out the gyp without moving out. You can't add a layer without resetting every fixture and sprinkler head; and moving everyone out. But intumescent paint solves that... it goes on like paint... The product by itself has the test certifications and installation requirements.

Mar 3, 20 10:33 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Interesting point there Mighty. I'm the only one in our office that writes Firecode C for 13mm gypsum board... even though my building code still refers to type X. 

Anyways, back to the spray product, I'm aware that there are various testing options south of my border... but reading the tech sheet EI linked to in an above post, the manufacturer claims the product is "formulated to meet test standards"... and it does not appear to actually be formally listed under any UL tested assemblies or standards. This seems sketchy to me.

Mar 3, 20 10:54 am  · 
 · 

Does the code north of the border require that an assembly be listed with ULC? Or does it require that the assembly determine its fire resistance rating per the Canadian equivalents to ASTM E119 or UL 263?

Mar 3, 20 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Yes to your second question... but it's more complicated than that. We have ULC S101-17 (fire endurance test) and ULC S102 (surface burning) which will determine if a product can be considered non-combustible (for use in non-comb req construction). 

Fire-ratting, at least in ontario (the most restrictive of provincial building codes) is either by ULC (or ULc) design no. or by material additive method (OBC SB2). The later does not have an option for intumescent paint to gypsum (or any IT paint I believe).

If a product is tested under S101 and S102, then it will be listed on the UL website accordingly and its acceptable assemblies will be searchable.  From my 5min of searching the archives, I find no-mention of this product, or the parent company, in any directory which leads me to believe that this product (fireguard E84) is not acceptable up here.

Mar 3, 20 12:12 pm  · 
 · 

BTW, Type C is not always required for the rating in a ceiling/floor assembly (here is a generic example from the GA directory). Rather than indicate Type X or Type C on the drawings. I reference the tested design by the UL designation (or other). The specs have both types and the contractor will need to use whichever product matches the tested assembly (some have multiple options ... for example, check out all the acceptable options for gypsum board in the UL design matching the GA listing I linked to earlier). Without some compelling reason, if both a Type X and a Type C product are acceptable in the tested assembly, I don't care which one the contractor uses.

Mar 3, 20 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

NS that's interesting. You stated that, "If a product is tested under S101 and S102, then it will be listed on the UL website accordingly and it's acceptable assemblies will be searchable.

I don't think that's the case in the States. Any accredited testing agency can test to the UL test and write a report stating the rating achieved. That alone should be sufficient for code compliance. I don't think there is any requirement to report that testing to UL for inclusion in the directory (with I'm assuming an associated cost).

Mar 3, 20 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ You're probably right... our hands are tied up here in regards to S101 and S102 (and a few others) so we often have to reject alternatives because of lack of official paper-trail.

Mar 3, 20 12:22 pm  · 
 · 

It still doesn't mean that a code official doesn't think listing in the UL directory is required. I've run into a few of those on projects before. Some can be reasoned with, some can't. Same goes for code officials that require ICC-ES reports.

Mar 3, 20 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Official testing under ULC S101 and ULC S102 are required here. That's the first stop but there are other tests required based on the material and use. All of these are listed in the front-end of the code.  We simply cannot accept, at face-value, products with alternative testing agencies.

There is some room for negotiations but we've been unsuccessful 100% of the time so far... and we've tried. There is a "get out of jail free" clause in our code that allows the AHJ to request a judgement letter when in doubt. These can only be provided by a fire-protection engineer, which we are not. It is rarely worth the trouble to go this route since normally this is a result from a GC submitting an alternative and asking us to justify if it's an acceptable substitution. In that case, I ask the GC to seek, and pay for, the letter. That normally ends the discussion.

Mar 3, 20 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

@Everyday Arch... good point, sometimes Type X is fine, but the vast majority of those use solid sawn lumber and older assemblies. Others might be two layers of Type X.

Mar 3, 20 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
t a z

This looks to be in the realm of what OP was referencing, based on a loose interpretation of commercial below, residential above:

Mar 3, 20 1:55 pm  · 
 · 

Are there only ULC labs that can conduct that testing? Or could an independent lab become accredited to perform ULC testing without having to go through the ULC organization? The Guardian Lab that tested the E-84 product shows accreditation for testing to ULC S101. Are you saying the Canadian code wouldn't allow Guardian to test the assembly and certify its compliance with the S101 testing requirement? 

P.s.: Not trying to pick a fight or be aggressive about this. I'm just curious. You've got the experience in dealing with this up there. It just seems odd to me.

Mar 3, 20 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

EI, you've done more research on this than I have today, but the doc you link would imply that the product has passed the required testing. This would make this particular product acceptable for use in FRR assemblies (with some education to the AHJ required) however, there are very few non-ulc design solutions that use intumescent paint (acceptable in my code). Our code limits us in how we can use products to achieve fire-ratings and IP is not an option available for walls/floors when establishing a rating by additive measures. If backed into a corner, I could see a way to argue for this but it is a tough fight.

Mar 3, 20 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Just checked. There is nothing specific in my code regarding IP but the language of the "determining fire-rating" section is pretty clear: A product can be used as long as a product has a fire-rating tested under S101. So with that in mind, it could be argued that a IP could be used to achieve a desired FRR to a gypsum board surface in my area without having the product tested (and listed) by UL if a 3rd party has equal test results. Convincing the AHJ is another story. TIL. Neat.

Mar 3, 20 2:35 pm  · 
 · 

Cheers. I learned something new today too. Can't say I'm going to start using this everywhere, but in situations like mightyaa described earlier ... it's good to know it could be an option.

Throwback to: Architects learn new things everyday.

Mar 3, 20 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

agreed, just don't think I'd ever consider IP to gypsum board unless it's in an inaccessible space or really high. Love the throwback link.

Mar 3, 20 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Interesting. NS and I are both in Canada. Just today I was trying to figure out a fire separation issue where a steel beam runs directly along the top of a concrete wall. Neither need structural fire protection. Figured the only way is to spray with IP or similar to get the separation we need. And I'm still not even sure that's the right answer.

Mar 3, 20 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
laurencenichols

well even if it sounds ridiculous it's what the architect/builder has as the solution. Any help on my question?

Mar 2, 20 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I have not applied intumescent coatings myself but from what I've seen it's pretty comparable to latex paint. You would want an airless gun to spray it, not HVLP. I believe I've heard that it lays down in 10-mil increments but that's stretching my memory, and it would be manufacturer-dependent.

Your question is a bit ridiculous for this forum, which is for design professionals to trade war stories. Are you in any online construction or finishes groups? They would be better oriented to advise you. 

Mar 2, 20 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
laurencenichols

Look was just reaching out wherever I can  to try to find  some guidance here so I asked on this forum, you guys seemed like you may have had some info I could utilize... nobody has answered the original question you all have just  tried to state that it cannot be used  on the wall system, that's not what I was asking and it's already been confirmed that it can be..if you didn't know this product E-84 can be used on sheetrock to get to certain fire ratings even though intumescent coatings can be applied to structural steel and all kinds of different substrates.. I have the specs sheet right in front of me with the wall system detail that shows it... appreciate all your time and I will look for a different forum as suggested. Thanks

Mar 2, 20 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

To add to WG and EI's comments above, I've honestly never seen IP applied in a way I would deemed visually acceptable. The trades always rush to get the req thickness in the least amount of passes and that shit dries up with so many streaks... So we stopped using it on exposed steel. All this to say that if you budget your application labour like typical paint, you'll probably get a bad final product and run the risk of a redo. So try to account for extra time to get the finished look right and free of streaks.

Mar 2, 20 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

Isnt there an issue with Int. Paint sagging? I would be worried about the application process of a ceiling.

Mar 3, 20 10:57 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^That was my point. The finish never looks good.

Mar 3, 20 10:58 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

You can always spend the money on factory applied intumescent if it's that critical, but all of the applications I've seen on high profile projects seem to be satisfactory. Perhaps better prep and people that actually know how to spray will help.

Mar 3, 20 11:17 am  · 
 · 

FWIW, 30 mils DFT isn't that bad for an intumescent. It could be done in two coats of the product in question. Three if you were concerned about the finish sagging. You could also roll it on per the data sheet ... although at a thinner WFT per coat so it would take more overall labor to achieve the same 30 mils DFT.

Mar 3, 20 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
abuley

I'd like to jump in on this thread and note that there is a UL listed design for the use of intumescent paint over 5/8" Type X Gyp to achieve a 2 hour rated wall. I work with the manufacturer and we are in process of listing a 2 hour gyp ceiling and 1 hr wood ceiling with UL as well. The current UL wall listing is BXUV.W310 (or find it under ICC ESL-1191). This is the ONLY UL listed design on the market at the moment. Just FYI.

Aug 28, 20 12:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: