Archinect
anchor

you know you're an archidork when...

F0403

ill start it off, because i just did it

1. you ask for dating advice on archinect

Feb 19, 07 8:37 pm

2. if you respond to this post with a big smile, and thoughts of many other answers

Feb 19, 07 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino
Sorry, but it's been done

But I will indulge you...

3. If you have trouble picking a favorite reason from the hundreds you've memorized

4. you can live without human contact, food or daylight, but if you can't print. it's chaos.

5. you can use Photoshop, Illustrator, Rhino, Maya, 3ds Max, Revit and make a web page, but you don't know how to use Excel.

Feb 19, 07 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

6. If you love concrete more than children.

Feb 19, 07 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
F0403

i know its been done a thousand times... that was a new low for me... haha

Feb 19, 07 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

7. you'd rather go to an architecture lecture than on a date, or ask your date if they'd like to go to the lecture for your date

concrete ROCKS!

Feb 20, 07 9:58 am  · 
 · 

you wake up at 7 each morning to see if anyone has responded to your posts on archinect....sadden if they haven't

Feb 20, 07 10:58 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

lol architechnophilia.....that's sooooooooooo true! hahaha

Feb 20, 07 11:04 am  · 
 · 
n_

i always thought i was a relatively rad person until i read this thread.

i just realized i totally qualify for all items listed above. awesome.

Feb 20, 07 11:26 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

When you start buying T-Shirts off architecture web pages and then your non-architect friends think you've finally lost it because they dont get why you would were such a thing to work - and not get fired for it.

Feb 20, 07 11:49 am  · 
 · 
aspect

when u prefer ppl call u geek than dork.

Feb 20, 07 11:49 am  · 
 · 
shaner

when you go out for drinks on friday with co-workers and spend 2 hrs discussing your coordination issues between Revit Building and Revit Structure

.. this is last friday for me

Feb 20, 07 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

When your roommate asks you for advice on a holiday present for her architect brother, and you refer her to the archinect t-shirt section...

Feb 20, 07 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
shaner

when you go out in public with your architecture sucks teeshirt, thinking it would be soo cool if you met some good lookin ladies with the same shirt on!

Feb 20, 07 8:09 pm  · 
 · 

you have an architectural tattoo

Feb 20, 07 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

you've taken a date to a building for the architecture... and brought a sketchbook.

Feb 20, 07 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
some person

When you consistently wake up your husband in the middle of the night and ask him to bring your drafting table down from the roof. (All the while, the drafting table is in the closet.)

Feb 20, 07 9:16 pm  · 
 · 

hah hah DCA, nearly wet my pants with that one.

Feb 20, 07 9:26 pm  · 
 · 

you find architecture related things in your everyday life that you would love to share with your friends that you've never met in person, your friends on archinect.

Feb 20, 07 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
some person

good one, techno.

Friends? From a message board? I'm beginning to believe it myself.

I have not finessed my references to information gathered on Archinect in everyday conversation yet. It's always, "This guy I know told me..." or "I heard the other day that.." and hope people don't ask me too much about my sources...

Feb 20, 07 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

DCA...i thought i was the only one

Feb 20, 07 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
some person

THEaquino: You're never alone on Archinect.

Feb 20, 07 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

when you wait for the stop sign to turn green, and haven't even been drinking...

Feb 20, 07 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
dia

You have a collection of photos dedicated to reinforcing mesh. Sexy.

Feb 20, 07 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

You use your dinner time at your desk to read Archinect.

Feb 20, 07 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

while cooking dinner, you leave food cooking on the stove and go in the other room to go read archinect... I can hear it fizzling, better get back.

Feb 20, 07 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
some person

So true, diabase. Guilty as charged - I've got so many job site photos of rebar, tubes, and other building materials that just look cool.

Feb 20, 07 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
F0403

haha strawbeary.... i did it last night!!!

Feb 20, 07 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
binary

when you hang out at home depot and look at screws for 2 hours realizing that all you were there for was some fiberglass resin

Feb 21, 07 12:31 am  · 
 · 

I almost burned down my villa doing that Strawbeary....many times.

Feb 21, 07 2:02 pm  · 
 · 

you'd think we'd get smart and run wireless or keep the desktop in the kitchen. Or wait simply not cut at that time (maybe we'd never eat)

Feb 21, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
lovebird

when you have a sexual dream involving Le Corbusier

Feb 21, 07 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

ha ha, last night when i posted that -- i burned dinner, just a bit on the edges, damn archinect

Feb 21, 07 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

when you talk about how heavy your rhino file is getting while dancing with a girl at a bar... happened to someone i know last weekend

Feb 21, 07 11:11 pm  · 
 · 

12:35a waiting for a response on my archinect post...sad indeed

Feb 22, 07 12:35 am  · 
 · 
Queen of England

when you are still working at two am and didnt get out of the office for dinner.

the big roll of bubble wrap in the back room is tempting me to curl up and zzzzzzzzz

Feb 22, 07 1:10 am  · 
 · 

QoE has it. If you know what sleeping on bubble wrap is like (usually pre-popped)

Feb 22, 07 1:34 am  · 
 · 
parkerd

You get excited about watching videos of Peter Zumthor buildings. Then make the mistake of telling your significant other about the experience.

Feb 22, 07 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

I got one:
(happened to me the other day) when trying to be suave in chatting up some bird, and inadvertently she's telling you about her place in Texas, and mentions crown moulding and you go off on a diatribe about the notion of what "good aesthetics" are and what contractors thing it is supposed to be.

no wonder I cant find a cute gal!
haha

Feb 22, 07 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

meant to say "what contractors THINK it is...."
sorry

Feb 22, 07 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
lovebird

Um...I had another one with Thom Mayne last night. Is that wrong?

Feb 22, 07 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Lovebird....you know your in trouble when it is Maybeck....your dreaming about.

Feb 22, 07 10:55 pm  · 
 · 

When you go on a date with an Interior designer, and constantly ponder if its okay to bring up thoughts of Zumthor, or any architect doing good work at the moment

Feb 22, 07 11:13 pm  · 
 · 
lovebird

snooker - That would be a nightmare.

Feb 23, 07 12:39 am  · 
 · 

re: counting archinectors among your friends: now that liberty bell and i know each other, have visited each other, and have taught together, it's fun to just tell people that 'we met online'. gets nervous giggles, mostly.

Feb 23, 07 7:39 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

...when the idea of reading anything other than things related to architecture seems like a waste of time. i don't read books for entertainment value anymore, i read to inform what i want to do in architecture. does that make me a dork?

Feb 23, 07 8:15 am  · 
 · 

i'm right there with you beta... i've tried on several occasions over the past few years to read something non-architectural... fiction, non-fiction, biography, whatever... every time i'm lucky to get out of the first chapter before i put the book down to pick up some arch. theory book...

Feb 23, 07 8:49 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

When you say things like "Richard did this..." and "Remember Thom's..." or "Did you see Frank's..." and the person you're talking to doesn't respond with "Frank who?," you're both archidorks!

Feb 23, 07 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

If your living room consists of a Le Corbusier couch, an Eames chair and ottoman, a Marcel Breuer Laccio Table set, a Mies van der Rohe Barcelona Chair, an Eero Saarinen side table, and a Frank Lloyd Wright Taliesin Table, you might be an archidork.

Feb 23, 07 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
curt clay

you walk by a cool restaurant and say to your date,

"Can we go inside to see the bathrooms?"

Feb 23, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

being mentioned in themy favorite archinect'ers post is your claim to fame and you bring it up every chance you get. of course you always do this at parties while wearing your "architecture sucks" or "le$$" t-shirt.

Feb 23, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: