Archinect
anchor

Graduated 2009, still no job :(

Quentin

Now to be clear, I have a full time gig as a business analyst, great pay, but it's sucky industry where I do not want to be in. I've also done about 3 CAD drafting projects, for different companies or people. So for a recap:

- 09 grad from Univ. Of Maryland, 4yr BS, which sucks I know, 3.6gpa
- I say my studio was around a B level, I know I wasn't the top of my class
- here is a portfolio from last summer, it's been updated since but I don’t have it online yet http://issuu.com/quentinpegram/docs/portfolio_3.45
- applied to/or sent resumes to over 400 places
- applied to mostly jobs in the Washington DC metro area (strong job market they say)
-also looked for jobs in Atlanta, no luck
- looked at not just arch jobs, but construction, space planning, real estate, anything closely related
- talked to professors, classmates, friends, nobody knows anyone that can actually help me
- been to career fairs, which are a joke, b/c they are usually only accepting resumes
- been to AIA events, and I hear the normal hey it's tough out here, keep looking
- browse the job website sdaily, done cold calls, cold emails
- I’ve gotten some interviews, but no offers
- thought about grad school, applied to Va Tech and denied :(
- became a LEED GA thinking it would help, nope
- oh almost forgot, I did turn down a job in South Korea to do CAD drafting

I'm at the point where I don't know what to do (jump off bridge?). I realize I have the worst degree but grad school is not really finically feasible (only other schools in VA are UVA (not good enough) and Hampton (private and expensive)). I also basically have no real experience (never worked in an arch office), truly at the bottom of the barrel. IDP is at 0% :(  I have a good job as an analyst but it's not what I want to do. But no one will give me experience. Can't really afford to work for free, not feasible at this point of my life (I’m 25). All my college peers seem to be doing better than me. They either went off to grad school, found a job via a network, or just got lucky. Some left the field. What really grinds my gears is I know some people who were straight slackers in college and they all got a break.

Archinet, please give some REAL advice besides just keep my head up.

Jun 29, 12 10:37 am
wurdan freo

Why the hell do you want to work for an architecture firm? What are you goals?

Jun 29, 12 11:07 am  · 
 · 

You should have taken the job in South Korea.  That was your big break and you missed it.

On the other hand, you can be very thankful that you haven't wasted the time & money on grad school.  That's a big positive!

Yo!

Jun 29, 12 11:13 am  · 
 · 
Quentin

If the job in S. Korea wasn't permenant, I would of maybe considered it. The job wasn't that glorious. He said it would of been drafting very plain and reptitive box buildings. Talking to architects, they aren't all that impressed by CAD drawings/experience. They just expect you to have that.

Jun 29, 12 11:17 am  · 
 · 
zonker

"09 grad from Univ. Of Maryland, 4yr BS, which sucks I know, 3.6gpa
- I say my studio was around a B level, I know I wasn't the top of my class"

Why weren't you the top of your class? - this is a clue as to your expectations and performance

Do you do what it takes or just do your best 

- in architecture, doing your best is never good enough - you need to develop a winning attitude - " I know I wasn't the top of my class" is not a winning attitude - "well, shucks I did my best" - this is a real clue as to the level you operate at and will offer clues as to why you haven't found a job.

Jun 29, 12 11:56 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

Quentin, all jobs are temporary.

Jun 29, 12 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

I also graduated in 09 with a BS Arch and have taken a different path to get to where I am now. We all knew things would be bad when we would graduate, so I started applying to firms a full 6 months before graduation, all over the US. Just a few responses and only 2 interviews...I had B's in studio and to be honest I didn't really get architecture then. I had over a year of "working experience" thanks to a co-op program, but all I really did as an intern was "draft very plain and repetitive box buildings"

Graduation was coming quickly and I knew prospects were bleak...then I saw a job posting for a position in Beijing. I had been to China once before that and I was dealing with culture shock for most of the trip, much like architecture at that time...I didn't get China either. But I said, "F*** it, I need a job" and was hired on the spot. Most of my classmates thought I was insane as they went off to NYC/CHI/LA with or without jobs and many of them still don't have jobs but somehow manage to live in Brooklyn (trust fund).

Back to it... My experience at the first firm in Beijing was HORRIBLE and I could only stomach it for 6 months. Ridiculous hours, getting shorted on pay some months, verbal barrages from the husband and wife tandem running the office...it sucked. However, I learned more in 6 months than I did in undergrad. I finally "got" architecture and learned the business (albeit, a poorly conceived business). My ridiculous schedule also forced me to go out A LOT just to escape the realities of the office and that's where the whole experience paid off. I met so many people and the great thing about expats is that we're all drawn to anything that can remind us of home and for me that was a giant group of archinerds who all wound up in China. I worked elsewhere and hung around until the following fall and started grad school in August 2010. 

I graduated in May and once again things aren't great in the US but thankfully my network is still strong and I'll be back in China towards the end of the year. 

Sometimes you just have to take a risk...worst case scenario you book a return flight and are right back where you started from with a good story to tell in interviews. Don't limit yourself by region or even type of firm. Sometimes you learn the most (about architecture and yourself) when you're completely out of your comfort zone. 

Jun 29, 12 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Here is something to try - smaller sized cities and towns have architecture firms too and there is less competition for jobs than the big cities right now. I started my career in a city of 80,000 people in the midwest during another terrible time to try to get employed (Sept of '01). Firms in small cities tend to ride the waves better, and might be hiring as they are the only ones in town to do the necessary work, work that doesn't depend on speculation - ADA remodels to funeral homes, new local dentist offices, medical office face-lifts, community churches, schools, etc. That's how I started my career! In fact, I know of a few firms right now in small isolated cities in fly-over land that ARE hiring and can't find good people to fill the positions as most grads are determined to work in LA/NYC, etc.

Jun 29, 12 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

on my first architecture job(internship) in San Diego, my boss(ex Jar Head) called me into his cubicle:

"I'm here to tell you that you just made the biggest mistake of your life" - 

But I did learn and I can at least survive -

Jun 29, 12 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
i r giv up

i told my first boss not to buy an imac.

his whole goon squad insisted they were more user friendly.

then i proceeded to watch and giggle for 5 actual minutes while the whole team tried to find the power button on the thing.

pretty sure that was the one specific moment where i knew i wasn't going to work there for long. and i didn't.
sometimes you just have to work with idiots to get ahead.

Jun 29, 12 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

If you don't like being a business analyst, you won't be much more thrilled in architecture. I swear some days I feel like toilet accessories analyst.

there is no there, your story is a perfect setup for FOOTLOSE!

"A young designer who can dance in a city that motion forgot"

Jun 29, 12 4:16 pm  · 
 · 

Revit skills are a must, also detailing show more wall sections.  The other hot tip, online ads should be 10% or less of your job search Linked in and direct networking is the way to go.  Also don't ask for a job, ask for advice, begging for a job is not sexy. Look up the book the Hidden Job Market, I am 2 weeks into the "program" and had 4 interviews and 30 connections that may lead to something. Online apps ok but don't burn daylight on them.  You will get a job by talking to people.

If it is a reasonable hour when you read this your assignment is to knock on the doors of 5 neighbors tell them your story (Brief story) and ask them if they have advice leads or ideas as to where to look.  You may be living next door to a cousin’s friend of a friend of the secretary to the HR director of a firm that does business with a bunch of architecture firms.

Be talkative read the book and follow the instructions.

Jun 29, 12 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
i r giv up

I also don't mean to be a dick, but the font on that portfolio makes me want to tear my eyes out and shove them into your sockets.

Start a portfolio crit thread asap.

Jun 29, 12 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

I'm not trying to be an ass, but want to help you so I will be frank... You need to spruce up your portfolio and the projects especially.  Redo them.  They suck big time.  Either you're just ignorant of the work being produced by other students and the architecture profession these days or don't want to admit where you need to improve on.   There are literally hundreds of new grads each year competing with you for a job.  Ask yourself why should an employee hire you over other grads?  

Look up portfolios of other students, architecture design magazines, periodicals, books to learn about the type of projects being built these days.  

Jun 30, 12 1:14 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

Be honest with yourself.  Ask yourself, "why in the would anyone hire me over someone else with that portfolio?"

Jun 30, 12 1:21 am  · 
 · 

[quote]lso don't ask for a job, ask for advice, begging for a job is not sexy.[/quote]

Agreed. Like many have said, what I believe is holding you back is your attitude. You gotta stop with the "woe is me, I suck" state of mind since THAT is the single biggest thing holding you back, and trust me on that, I know that from experience. You gotta be confident and be able to have a conversation with people (specially people tat may be in the position to help/employ you), and show them that your a decent human being with your head on right. As Peter mentioned, it's really all about the networking. When I was unemployed for a long time in '09  I dove head first into networking, the AIA, and volunteered with with Architecture for Humanity. That network I built up is what got me an unadvertised job a few months latter completely out of the blue.

And don't worry about being the best designer in the world, as honestly in the beginning you're not gonna be doing much design anyway, if at all. And heck, you may find that being the designer in a firm may not be what you ultimately want to do. You may end up finding out that you enjoy being the detail/technical guy that brings the designer(s) vision to life (that's what I gravitate towards personally). Think about WHY you wanted to go to Graduate School and what you wanna get out of the experience, it should be more that just a refuge from the economy.

As for your portfolio, I think it's overall cohesive but not very exciting. It's a pretty stiff layout that could use something to break up the regularity of it a little bit. I don't mean do anything to crazy to it layout wise and you have a decent base, but it does need something to punch up the layout. As for the work itself it's fairly competent, but your reders need more life. More people in them, and they seem somewhat dark and static. You need to do something to the housing project model, as the straight shot from SU need something more. I do like that you have some context around that model, since some of your other projects are laking context in the perspectives. Give it some work and it'll get there.

But really, the best advise I can give is just fix your attitude and continue to hit the ground hard on the networking. In my honest opinion, that will be the single biggest thing that will help you land a job. Heck, usually these events are always at a bar/restaurant, so you'll at least get some booze and food out of it! 

Jun 30, 12 3:53 am  · 
 · 
Paradox

I agree with the portfolio thing. There is so much competition so being very good won't help, you need to be remarkable. I'd first go look at others' portfolios especially on Issuu. Take notes on how they arranged the projects, the graphics, what colors/typography they used etc.
Your designs (no matter what you design) need to tell a story. You not only need to put explanations about each project but need to show where you started and how you got to the final product. A lot of employers want to see this progress.  You need to walk them through the projects. Your work does your marketing not you.
The more unsuccessful job interviews you have the more you develop a chip on your shoulder and it affects your future interactions with people negatively. I'd take a break from job hunting in architecture and concentrate on building my portfolio, maybe look for freelance jobs they will help you put more work in your portfolio. The bad news is it may take another couple of months to finish the portfolio work.
After you're done with all that get Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters, Never Eat Alone and concentrate on networking. Unfortunately networking best works when you network before you need a job. I also don't know how the hell one networks with people in other states.

Jun 30, 12 3:57 am  · 
 · 
chingale

Quentin,

Archinect can be harsh and there are pros and cons to opening up yourself to a blog. Stand tall. Don't let the comments get you down. You are employed in a good paying job and are actively thinking and considering if architecture is right for you. Sometimes rejection can be a great place to be. You haven't made the mistake of getting into hellacious grad debt for the wrong reasons and you have your whole life ahead of you to figure things out.

Consider taking a couple years to save money for graduate school. Other career options that would benefit from a grad degree could be creatively and professionally rewarding.

Couple suggestions on the portfolio front: Yes, your portfolio is on the weak side for this extremely competitive job market. It lacks an energetic quality towards design and doesn't give the reviewer a sense of who you are and what your creative juices are about. You need to loosen up, explore your own graphic expression and focus on creating a sense of place with your projects. Someone suggested looking at books and other people's work. A great way to get better is to choose a type of diagramming or perspective that you really like and take the time to deconstruct how it was made and see if you can do it yourself. 

But you are in a great place to figure that out. I would vote for competitions to improve your graphics, travel  time to see the world and great architecture and public spaces and landscape and become a well rounded person. Perhaps consider studio based coursework in your area that has you physically making things, sketching etc. I think you need to truly figure out if design excites you or if there are other equally rewarding creative career paths out there. 

And kudos to you for getting out there in a tough economy, getting a good paying job and still taking the time to wrestle out these kinds of issues. 

Jun 30, 12 4:29 am  · 
 · 
niro

try outside the states, gain some international experience, it can never hurt.

you are 25, what have you got to loose?

Jun 30, 12 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Design a house.  Take your time working on it.  Settle for nothing but a "masterpiece" even if it takes you 2 years to complete. Do nice renders, make sure the design is tight, interesting, unique.....Focus on details and drawings.  Scrap the other portfolio.  It will be hard at first, but you will be surprised how liberating it is.  One really good project is better than 5 boring ones.  Think of it as a  new start. 

Jun 30, 12 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
i r giv up

what jla-x said.

i think my fingers are bleeding now.

but yeah, take your time and make something beautiful. my school portfolio basically got me no hits, as soon as i started incorporating competition projects into it, the interviews started rolling in. once you're in, if you outperform and are a consistently good value for a firm, you'll have no trouble finding jobs at other, better, firms.. just take your time, look at other's works, see what worked for them, protect your core set of beliefs re: design, and please a few eyes just so that you can get your chance at showing that you're good.

in art and architecture, you're only as good as you think you are.

Jun 30, 12 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

I agree with what some have said - Work on new projects, your own ones, perhaps completely redo your school projects.  Honestly, I thought most of my school projects were either crap or incomplete.  Turth is with deadlines, trying to please profs, worrying about grades, juggling other courses, one doesn't let their true talents to shine.  Personally, I felt I got a better understanding of architecture or the semester after the term was over and started to wonder how I'd approach the project again and how I'd do things differently.

Jun 30, 12 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Archinect. Come for adice. Try to enjoy the rape.

Jun 30, 12 7:18 pm  · 
 · 

Generally, I wouldn't count on getting any support from saying that studio projects never really shined because of all the other things going on. What do we expect the "real world" to be like if not a myriad of conflicting schedules and trying to please clients under time constraints? I think an employer would rather see the true talent shine despite all that other stuff.

Jun 30, 12 8:33 pm  · 
 · 

How did the assignment go, do any of the folks contacted know anyone?

also the portfolio is what it is now but you can and should change it. Evolve.

Jul 1, 12 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Quentin

Thanks for the many comments. Like I said that portfolio is a year old. It was redid for my grad school application this past winter, (tried once to put it on issuu and it was giving me issues). However, the one I did show is about 75% of what my new one likes. And another thing, few people ever saw my portoflio in the first place, so I don't know if that's what held me back. You kind of need to be called in for an interview for someone to actually see your portfolio. I do like the idea jlxa said about just doing one new and very detailed project from start to finish. And using that as my portfolio. I'll look into that.

As far as looking for jobs in another country, don't think I could do that. Just seems too far of a stretch.

I'll look at that book Peter recommended.

As far as my attiutude, keeping me back, blah. Doubt it. It's not like I go into an interview complaining about how bad I have it .And I was far more chipper at the beginning of my job search. The years wear you down.  It just sucks that one thing I wanted to do for so long I can't do.

Jul 1, 12 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
juan moment

As others have said you have to network these days to have any hope of getting a job.  I imagine there are many opportunities for volunteer work in the DC/ Virginia metropolitan area.  AIA, Architecture for Humanity, Preservation groups/ DOCOMOMO, Young Architect's Forums, Community design collaboratives, open house events and University lectures/ workshops are just a few examples of places you can meet people and establish yourself and reputation.  You WILL meet people looking for employees, and at the very least get to know many people within the design community.  Architecture communities are far smaller and accessible than I could have ever imagined.   Everybody knows everybody, and if you plan to stay within a city, you will know these people throughout your career.

Also, if you've been out of the profession for very long most potential employers are going to want to see you've continued/ furthered yourself in some way.  If you don't think your portfolio is what held you back, what are you sending to potential employers may I ask?  If you're just sending a resume without work samples that may be one of your problems right there.  Great opportunities to attend design workshops and design competitions are always available.  Don't limit yourself to DC, as you live in the greater northeast corridor.  If you really want a job and are passionate about architecture you will continue to learn and be open to all opportunities no matter what. 

Jul 1, 12 5:51 pm  · 
 · 

So, my take away from this is...

Be daring to standout...
But being too daring does not necessarily in nor realistic to pro-practice.

Have a well-made detail portfolio...
But make it simple and easy to read.

Focus on your strengths...
But learn new software to add hype to your resume.

Don't publicly air your problems...
But network with all you can.

Demonstrate your best work...
Or try to generate work by doing competitions and personal projects.

What you can really take away from this is architecture is such a hodgepodge of mixed messages and hypocritical reasoning that the only thing you really have on your side is... 

LUCK.

I also ran into an architect at a gym up in NYC recently who told me the only reason he was hired was because he was good-looking and had muscles. His boss told him that they were very good qualities he saw in a project manager who works heavily with clients. He's only 25 and is becoming partner next year.

So, maybe, try hitting a gym, bulk up and start wearing some bro-liner and tight pants sans underwear?

Jul 1, 12 6:28 pm  · 
 · 

By the way, I just interviewed for a job, got an offer and am moving up to NYC as a "technologist" for a tech firm. Part-time marketer, part-time historian, part-time trend-watcher... and with a lot of graphic design work.

It pays as much as an architect makes with a few years experience. And, it comes with full benefits and then some. Not only do I get insurance but I also get dental and a free gym membership to a gym of my choice.

Other key benefits: FREE BEER, A FREE BICYCLE EVERY 18 MONTHS AND A SLIGHT SALARY INCREASE FOR LIVING NEAR WORK.

And they also have a Nespresso machine.

Jul 1, 12 6:32 pm  · 
 · 

not sure if you are joking or not JJR, but if not, glad you finally got a job.

to OP, portfolio is not that bad. it won't get you into OMA (sorry), but is not so far off from what lots of firms produce. As far as improving it, if you really want to step up and improve it isn't going to come from your current skill set.  Easiest way to improve is to team up with someone with more experience, otherwise its just going to be more of the same.

the idea of cold-calling your neighbors sounds bloody annoying to me.  curious if it ever works...

Jul 1, 12 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

In my opinion it's not your portfolio holding you back; it's your degree. A BS is tough in that it tells employers that they will invest their time and money training you only to see you leave for grad school in a couple of years. This was tolerable before the recession; it's unthinkable now. It's unfortunate that you had to founder in this job market for the last 3 years in a situation that really had such limited opportunity; you would have been better off going directly into a Masters program. Now the big question becomes do you really want to be an architect or is there a job related to the field that you could find satisfying that does not require a license? If you are still bound and determined to be an architect, get the professional degree ASAP. It will be the only way to become marketable again within the realm of straight architecture.

Also, cold calling your neighbors? You instantly assume "that guy" status.

Jul 1, 12 10:43 pm  · 
 · 

I'm not sure about this statement:

Quentin: 'You kind of need to be called in for an interview for someone to actually see your portfolio.'

Um... no? If you send out applications via email, you usually attach your portfolio (or at least a link) with that application, do you not?

Or print them and send them?

Or put them on a website?

This makes me wonder how you are actually applying for jobs o_0

Any way you slice it, future employers do need to have a strong sense of your abilities and strengths via your portfolio and I would agree with some of the others that yours does not shine. If you are truly committed to working in architecture, you need to work on not just the graphics and presentation but the actual ideas behind your design work. Drafting samples of the sunglass hut... does not give me an idea of what you are passionate about and where you see yourself going with design. And honestly, people who can draft tolerably are a dime a dozen.

You have already told us that you didn't stand out at school and that your degree isn't the best. So my question would be... why should anyone hire you over the thousands of grads who DID shine in school and DO have a good degree?

Jul 2, 12 7:08 am  · 
 · 
Quentin

- Juan, yes I need to get more involved. I did go to some AIA events, but need to attend more. I also think I will contact some local firms to see if I can do some volunteer work.

- JJR, ha, funny story. Good for you man. And I already go to the gym 4-5 times a week. No architects there, lol.

- Will, I don't have any mentors. I know few architects and none that live all that close to me.

- Won, yep I know my 4yr degree sucks. But still I know some peers who have made it from school with the same degree. Some got lucky and some just knew people. Grad school is complicated. I went to undergrad out-of-state, so I graduated $67k in debt. Currently it's at $27.8k. Been busting my but to pay them off. I just don't know if I can add another 30k to that to go back to grad school. The instate schools, are limited here in VA. UVA, VA Tech and Hampton. I got into Hampton but it was private and really expensive. I might finally get a masters one day down the road, by 30 maybe.

- Stephanie. Only some applications ask for portfolios. Majority of them are just resumes. I would say my portfolio or work samples are only asked for about 25% of the time. I do agree, regardless, it needs the best it can be. LIke a previous poster said, I plan on doing a new project and making that about 75% of my portfolio. Going to start looking into it today. Kind of excited.

- As far as networking. I've talked to a ton of people. Even people with their own arch firms, met a architect who worked on the MLK memorial, etc. They all are like yea, work is slow right now, I'm barely getting by on my own. I realize all it takes is one person, so I'll keep talking.

Thanks again for the comments.

Jul 2, 12 7:56 am  · 
 · 

Here's my portfolio advice, make the shittiest one that you can in as little time as possible.   Then after you stop laughing yo ass off at it, regain your composure and then start presenting it with the most serious, straight face that you can muster.

BOOM! Success, yo!

Jul 2, 12 9:46 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

One point regarding portfolios, there is no universally "good" portfolio. There are good portfolios for particular offices. Tastefully rendered rhino blobs or artfully evocative watercolors may go over well in one office, but not necessarily all offices. The trick is to match your portfolio to the type of office you would like to work in.

Jul 2, 12 10:07 am  · 
 · 
med.

Qunetin - I think you should be very happy you have a job that pays very well now.  There are many who have no job period and would love to be in your shoes no matter how crappy.

Keep your chin up - you'll get an architecture gig soon enough.

Jul 2, 12 10:18 am  · 
 · 
med.

Quintin - I actually think your work/folio looks pretty solid.  I remember you posting an earlier iteration which looked pretty underwhelming but now it looks very good and very professional.  I really am having a hard time tying to figure out why you are having bad luch landing a job.

Instead of typing the word "portfolio" - just use your name.

Jul 2, 12 10:24 am  · 
 · 
Quentin

Thanks med. Yep I made a thread like 2 years ago of my first portfolio, man you guys tore me a new one. But it was beneficial, I completely redid it. And yes I am happy I have a solid and good paying job. I just worry since I been out of school for so long with no real experience my worth is falling off the longer I go without an actual arch job.

I am going to see if some local architects will allow me to come in a few days a week to do some unpaid work. And already started thinking of a new project I can do or maybe a compettion.

Jul 2, 12 11:40 am  · 
 · 
jyount10

A couple thoughts: Learn & understand BIM & Revit. Key knowledge for our industry's future that a lot of people still aren't up on. Download the 30-day trial and get to know it. Learn Chinese or other eastern language. Sounds crazy, but that's where they have the big projects that they need staff in the hundreds for, and want people to understand & be able to speak & read Chinese. Use the business analyst angle to your benefit. Firms today are challenged to increase efficiency in the new normal. How do we bring more value to our clients with lower fees?

Jul 2, 12 12:53 pm  · 
 · 

w.a.d.w "The trick is to match your portfolio to the type of office you would like to work in."

That's one way to do it, but I think it's better to try to find firms that match your outlook and goals instead of trying to match your style of representation to a particular firm. Quality work will be recognizable not because of a rendering (popular styles of which change almost monthly) but because of the ideas behind it.

I certainly do think that you should choose projects for your portfolio that are appropriate to the office you're applying to (this may mean you have 2 or 3 versions of your portfolio).

In argument of the matching your portfolio to an office, there is a certain level of graphic presentation skill that is expected in every office and the best way to get good is to adapt (i.e., copy) certain methods of representation to your own projects. In a situation like yours, Quentin, there's no harm in going for a totally new look. When you attempt to copy an image / graphic style, you really end up learning a lot re: layout, typography, photoshop, etc. 

Jul 2, 12 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

DO NOT TRY TO FIND UNPAID WORK! the fact that you have a paying job and are working speaks higher of you then if you had an unpaid architecture job. I do not hire people who have worked for free. period . end of story. if you are willing to give away your time then I can surely expect you to give the companies time away for free. Your much better off working on your own side projects, competitions and such. that would also bluster your portfolio more then working for somebody. 

Jul 2, 12 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
juan moment

Quentin- I was in no way suggesting you work for an architecture firm for free, I was suggesting in volunteering with a NON-PROFIT or Community design organization.  Volunteering to work for free in a FOR-PROFIT setting is an entirely different thing and is worthy of an entire discussion on its own of whether that is something someone should do.  It has been discussed on archinect at length and I would encourage you to read those discussions before deciding whether you should do that.

Jul 2, 12 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Quintin - a big N.O. on working for free.

Jul 2, 12 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
jyount10

Don't work for free. Clients & contractors will try to get you to work for free for the rest of your career. Learn early.

Jul 2, 12 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
RZTZ

to add flame to the fire, I'd also say you should definitely re-do your portfolio. Any rendering without people might as well be tossed in the garbage. You need happy people and trees in your renderings. Your portfolio must contain emotion.

Jul 2, 12 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
Quentin

LOL, ok ok, no working for free. And I wasn't going to quit my paying job to work for free, was just thinking a few hoursa week. One architect I emailed said I can come in to talk to him (not employment, I guess just for advice/life/etc), so I'll try to set something up later this week or next. Also started looking at the Architecture for Humanity website, was just having problems with their website yesterday. Will try again today.

As far my portfolio, like I said, the one I posted is a year old. I updated it this past winter for my grad school application. Not saying it's mind blowing better, but it is an improvement. Also looking into competitions or just a new project I can do to add to my portfolio.

Jul 3, 12 9:53 am  · 
 · 
i r giv up

people are not always necessary in a rendering. assuming that is just short-sighted and pretty damn dumb.

context matters.

sometimes, having people in a rendering kills the feel of a beautiful image.

Jul 3, 12 9:58 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

people are not always necessary in a rendering. assuming that is just short-sighted and pretty damn dumb.

ha ha ha!  they think people should always be in a rendering.  that's silly.  people don't always use buildings - sometimes they just sit there, empty.

people would just ruin the beauty.  the terrifying beauty.

Jul 3, 12 11:01 am  · 
 · 
i r giv up

i dare you to put a person in this and make it work:

you have to beyond retarded if you think that the only way to show something can be used by people is to show the people using it.

Jul 3, 12 11:43 am  · 
 · 

how would people ruin that image?  people could at least clear up whether it is intended to be a brothel or a hair salon.

anyway, arguing absolutes is more absurd, when it comes down to it...

as for portfolio, you can change the rendering style but the architecture design is not going to look much different so don't see the point.  any office with enough experience is going to look at the planning and the design content and will imagine what work you might do, and the renderings will not matter. 

AFH volunteering could be good networking opportunity and depending on what activities are going on you could learn quite a bit.   

Jul 3, 12 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

COME AT ME BROS

Jul 3, 12 12:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: