Archinect
anchor

Moment of Silence, Please....

design geek-girl

for Rick James has passed.

Oddly enough, it's being said that he died from natural causes.

Aug 6, 04 4:00 pm
rizzdizzl

"cocaine is a hellah of a drug"............"im rick james bitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!" for some reason i just cant take him seriously, even though he's dead. maybe its because he burned some girl with a crack pipe......or maybe its those absurd outfits he wore....Rick james we'll mis you dearly...

Aug 6, 04 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
design geek-girl

oh, c'mon. Lame outfits, a crack problem and history of violence against women shouldn't undervalue his contributions as an artist.

That was tongue in cheek, by the by.

Aug 6, 04 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

dont hate the playa, hate the game

Aug 6, 04 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

fo sho......
Im with mdler

Aug 6, 04 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

the odd thing is that dave chappelle is scheduled to make a bio pic about James and will star as James. jamie foxx was on some talk show talking about how Rick came to a party at his house and broke his bed.

i remember hearing Superfreak for the first time when i was a kid, man that shit was fresh.

pour a 40 for the man.

Aug 6, 04 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
Rick James

"Cocaine is a powerful drug," Mr. James told a reporter for the Detroit News this year. "We would eat dinner and do cocaine. We didn't know anything about the Betty Ford Clinic then. The biggest mistake I made is that I tried to become my alter ego. I wanted to be Rick James, wild man, party machine, lady slayer, and the cocaine told me I could. I forgot that I was James Johnson, a nerdy kid, who grew up reading 'Dante's Inferno' on Saturday nights."

Aug 7, 04 3:09 am  · 
 · 
mdler

sounds like some blow might help me out these days...

Aug 7, 04 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

dgg - "she's a very freaky girl, from her head down to her toenails..."

superfreak superfreak <- so good they named them twice

Aug 13, 04 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
design geek-girl

Hmm, I wonder if that song WAS about me... probably not, I think I was 4 when it came out... but still, it would have been nice to be immortalized in song, even if it is about being a superfreak...

Aug 13, 04 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
David Cuthbert

he will be missed

A striking relevance because he was the definition of the transition between Disco & Funk....and more importantly because he is why no one under any cricumstance should try and revive the "DISCO" attitude and lifestlye

Aug 13, 04 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
e909

based on the few of his bits i recognize, I'd say that RJ was a follower, even at his best.

http://www.bet.com/articles/0,1048,p579gb10332-11397,00.html

tunes were almost completely weak, dated, and the infrequent funkiness was borrowed.

OTOH, the only decent part of "Around the Way Girls" was the rj sample (or pseudo sample).

btw, both 60's and 70's funk precededdisco (with some overlap, such as PFunk) :-)

Aug 16, 04 12:31 am  · 
 · 
cracker

Coroner: 9 drugs found in Rick James' system
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/16/rick.james.reut/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Flamboyant funk musician Rick James had nine drugs in his system when he died suddenly in August, including cocaine, methamphetamine, valium and vicodin, according to a coroner's report Thursday.

Sep 18, 04 10:18 am  · 
 · 
e909

jeez, rick james was a vampire? i hear that rush survived the blood loss...

Sep 21, 04 3:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: