Archinect
anchor

SAVE ME! Grosse Pointe Central Library, designed by Marcel Breuer (1953) - slated for demolition

AP

Thanks to everyone who participated. I'm confident that with these submissions (packaged into the upcoming presentation), the GP Library's Board of Directors will be convinced that an adaptive re-use / addition will not only meet all of their needs, but exceed their expectations for library services on this site.

Great job everyone. More to come...

Feb 22, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i think for the time alotted you guys really cranked out some good shtuff!!!

Feb 22, 07 2:35 pm  · 
 · 

here are some studies before i've arrived to my final masterpiece, to keep you entertained till' the curtain call. just to tell ya'll, it wasn't from nowhere.

Feb 22, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 

nicely done, all.

now to figure out how to present it all!

Feb 22, 07 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

some nice images, orhan, in addition to your stellar entry. might we make use of any of those as well?

Feb 22, 07 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
rutger

Maybe Docomomo can help?
They have done some wonderful work in the Netherlands, for example restoring Jan Duikers' Sanatorium Zonnestraal (Hilversum, NL, 1928)
links:
some zonnestraal images on flickr
article on floornature

Feb 22, 07 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

I must add I have to re-upload/send my images as I had to made a few fixes to them (thanks Steven and AP)

Feb 22, 07 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
bora

Nice images Orhan. I liked the rectangular scheme the most. The facade of the new addition looks so intriguing.
I am also eager to see the masterpiece.

Feb 22, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Is someone going to make a video of the actual presentation so the rest of us can watch it? Like a Grosse Pointe Library YouTube video?

Feb 22, 07 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Having just come to the realization that there are several people viewing all of these submissions and I am not one of them, I am suddenly feeling very self-conscious about my own.....I'm not big on unplanned audiences.

Feb 22, 07 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

OK, AP just told me that you guys aren't planning to make a Frank Gehry model out of my submission (aka trash) so I'm feeling better now. I'm just naturally a rather private person. No worries.

How many were received, anyway?

Feb 22, 07 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

i'm way late

Feb 23, 07 2:51 am  · 
 · 

there are TWO late entries! both very nice. thanks, guys.

Feb 23, 07 7:04 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

two more? nice...i can't wait to see them

Feb 23, 07 9:57 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

yeah nice.....steven I have to re upload mine cause I had a few changes (just cosmetic)

will do so today

Feb 23, 07 10:32 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

OK, so am I right in saying that the deadline has passed, but if there are any more submissions out there that you just didn't *quite* have time to get done, go ahead and send them in?

No guarantees as to whether the library board will ever see them, but the Archinect community probably will.

AP please delete this post if my sentiments aren't shared by everyone.

Feb 23, 07 10:58 am  · 
 · 
AP

no lb, i agree entirely. if anyone is interested, you have until early Saturday to have your submission included in the library presentation/exhibit, when the Detroit MAPA crew will be printing etc.

otherwise, you can submit indefinitely for inclusion on a potential future archinect gallery of the submissions.

at the moment, there will be more than 50 boards to print.

Feb 23, 07 11:05 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

AP I added Orhan's boards to the account, make sure you check them and get back to me. If need be you can call me (email me and I will provide you with my mobile).

I am gonna see if I myself can add yet another scheme that I had floating around in my head!

Feb 23, 07 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
concernedgptaxpayer

Is a new central library needed?

In the last two years Grosse Pointe has built two new libraries, totaling 36,000 square feet, and increasing capcity by 20,000 square feet. The new libraries are approximately 7 miles apart, with Central in the approximate middle. A modest diversion of Central users to branch libraries would reduce the Central load. Driving time by diversion would increase no more than 5 minutes on average. Central should be modernized, not razed. Grosse Pointe has sufficient library capacity. Grosse Pointe citizenry do not have bottomless tax dollar pockets, nor are they ardent library users.

Why has this controversial subject not been brought to a public vote in Grosse Pointe?

Feb 24, 07 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

it will be brought to a vote - in november, as we understand it. but the library intends to have a plan in place - something specific on which the vote will be based.

the need for a new/expanded central is not something that this particular effort is meant to address. the library has said there is a need, a potential plan - which includes the removal of the existing - has been proposed, and we (the organizers of the charrette) would like to see more thought be given to preservation/modernization/ expansion of the existing branch.

the original library was not built using taxpayer funds. it was a gift from a private individual. the new one, of course, would be built with public funds.

if the local population agrees with you, the library's plans will be voted down again - as they were a few times before.

Feb 24, 07 4:35 pm  · 
 · 

thank you concernedgptaxpayer.
that sums it up. i am all for that as a california friend. it should be asked to grosse pointers and only after, if they win 'their' support, they should consider how to do it.
as somebody who participated in this charrette, i fully support doing what is suggested by concernedgptaxpayer, update the existing library, if anything. specially after reading the initial posts here and thereafter and his/her local information on area libraries.
i can't believe pro bono architects even got that far. but it is this civic power building and dealings with developer type circles gets a lot of unnecessary buildings built no matter which municipiality they are located. probably there is greater development plans and hand shakes behind all this.

maybe this charette will make people see how unnecessary the whole thing is.

remember, the main agenda of this mapa effort is to save breuer building any means possible within the existing rules and regulations and needs.

also,
we have to make sure we are not advocating a new building. and, as architects, who presented by a program and a problem, we simply produced some alternative ways of looking at the solutions. which was triggered in order to save an architecturally significant building.

maybe we should also include one of the existing building's picture with no addition as an official charrette entry with titleblock says thetaxpayer if it is already not done.

Feb 24, 07 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Hum......I sure wish that Calder Mobile and Kandinsky Tapistry would show up at my house mister taxpayer. Maybe you can convince them to sell them to me so the tax payers don't have to fork over a dime to build a new building.....they are only art you know.....something most people don't like anyhow...and oh most people would be of the mind: "They call that art, my kid could do better art." I could assure you I would give you a top notch figure for those works.....like maybe fifty cents on the dollar of the appraised value.

Feb 24, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

points i alluded to on the other Breuer thread. perhaps this facility becomes something NEW and not an addition.

Feb 24, 07 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

Are the images up yet?

Has an online design community spontaneously become advocates for a local cause before? Even taking into account some of the pessimism and concerns voiced in this thread and others it seems to me that you guys are breaking some new ground here.

Feb 25, 07 8:59 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'm not sure yet when the images will be available for viewing via the archinect gallery. there's also the possibility that this information will be available via the library's website too although we'll have to wait to see how tomorrow's presentation turns out first.

also, i agree. i think this something very new and newsworthy on two accounts, 1- because of the effort to save a modern and 2- because its a grassroots effort that has emerged on a national/global scale via the internet. when i give it some thought, i realize how extraordinary this is because we started this on the forums with a highly critical thread of the library board's actions. that they have now invited us to present to them and allowed us the floor at an important board meeting is not only an honor for the efforts of the archinect community but also a very admirable move for the library board. for whatever faults the library board may have, they should be complimented for their willingness to accept criticism, engage their critics and reconsider their initial assumptions. and considering that those critics (us) are mostly an anonymous group of internet characters...well...that's quite exceptional.

at any rate, i think that the library board is now making a sincere effort to find and/or do the right/best thing for this library branch and—although it remains to be seen how this turns out—the board should definitely be given credit for that effort.

Feb 25, 07 10:55 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Hear hear, puddles. It's an example of really caring about something and expressing that concern to skeptics - and in this case they opened up at least enough to hear our case. Good for them, and good for us.

Feb 26, 07 12:21 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

Any Michigan archinectors going to the meeting?

Feb 26, 07 10:15 am  · 
 · 

puddles and jafidler will be presenting. don't know yet who else may attend.

Feb 26, 07 10:42 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

are all of the submissions going to be taken to the meeting tonight?

Feb 26, 07 12:04 pm  · 
 · 

i believe that they are.

Feb 26, 07 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

good luck everyone!

Feb 26, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

We incorporated all of the proposals into the powerpoint, though not every board will be shown tonight. We organized the powerpoint around themes: parking, massing, neighborhood context, etc. and took examples from the various submissions. For example, anyone who had a clear proposal to deal with the parking issue, we used his/her/their drawing to illustrate that design possibility. Every team had at least two boards (if they submitted two) in the powerpoint.

All boards submitted will be shown at the exhibition at the Ewald Branch. There, the boards will be grouped by proposal, and all of the boards for that proposal will be shown together (no themes).

Thanks so much for everyone's hard work. Puddles and I are excited to present such a range of creative and thoughtful work.

Feb 26, 07 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you guys ROCK!!!

Feb 26, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
aml

sounds great, good luck!

Feb 26, 07 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

jafidler.....tell them I was kidding about the Calder.....and Kandinsky....I really feel there home in The Gross Pointe Memorial Library where Mr. Ferry wanted them. Good Luck!

Feb 26, 07 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Some one please video tape it please!!!!

Feb 26, 07 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
Feb 26, 07 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Steven,

I think the computer is the reason more people are going to the library. It seems to be one of the main reasons in our community.
Were not Grosse Pointe, but not Detroit either. Seems there are alot of people out there who find the free internet access something that they need. I say YaHOO!

Feb 26, 07 8:17 pm  · 
 · 

i just found it in the gp paper....

Feb 26, 07 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

well, i don't know what the rest of you were doing this evening, but i'll have you know that i met some very lovely & gracious people...in fact, i think that some of them are even melting down their swiss army knives as we speak.

Feb 27, 07 12:27 am  · 
 · 

hear! hear!

Feb 27, 07 6:43 am  · 
 · 

great cartoon

Feb 27, 07 8:09 am  · 
 · 
AP

great to hear, puddles.

Feb 27, 07 8:51 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

haha, fantastic Puddles.....I am sure we all wish to hear what took place.

Love the cartoon Steven.

Feb 27, 07 10:42 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

I couldn't make it last night, but i hope all went well.

so, when should I expect a call from the Grosse Pointe Library saying they are going to give me the commission to research my design and create construction documents?

Feb 27, 07 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

I hope no one is thinking about recycling the metal in the Calder Sculpture or the Gold from the thread of the Kandinsky Tapistry.

Feb 27, 07 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

great job people!!!

Feb 28, 07 11:51 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

wtf?? hahaha
I love those chicks in the background, oh yeah baby!

Feb 28, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Lost an unlikely ever to be found.

Feb 28, 07 5:15 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

You guys all rock.... Sorry I couldn't participate, but I look forward to reading up on how the event went.

Feb 28, 07 10:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: