Archinect
anchor

The Village

JG

Checked out the Village this weekend. Interesting movie. Not so much a scary horror pic but had some themes relevant to architecture and town planning. (DONT READ FURTHER IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN IT YET).

I liked the notion that fear could be used by the planners as a way to demark territory and contain the population while using the fence to keep the others out. It was also a timely topic considering the latest "threats" we are facing. I think Night Shymalan was probably interested in making a film about terrorism and fear and this was how he pulled it off.

Aug 2, 04 5:06 pm
stephanie

SPOILERS.

i thought that movie was a total let down.
it was beautifully shot. and shymalan has definately proved his ability to buld suspense.
but all of the twists were sort of short sighted. i felt like my intelligence as a viewer was being diminished.
as far as your interest in fear vs. fence the fence in the actual village didn't keep shit out. but then again, there really was nothing of horror to keep out.

Aug 3, 04 11:29 am  · 
 · 
duke19_98

I was disappointed in the village. I think mainly because it wasn't anything that I expected. There were to many slow points. I found that the plot twists were too easily discovered to early on. I should have waited and rented it.

Aug 9, 04 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
archetecton

I WAS DISAPPOINTED, TOO. THIS FILM WAS WAY TOO TRANSPARENT, THOUGH THERE WERE SOME GOOD LAUGHS AND TWISTS, AND THE QUALITY OF THE PRODUCTION WAS EXCELLENT, BUT THERE COULD HAVE BEEN MORE TO THE PRIMARY CONFLICT. CERTAINLY, SUSPENSE WOULD HAVE BEEN BUILT BY INTRODUCING MORE OF THE LOCAL LORE SURROUNDING THE BEASTS OF THE FOREST. IT WAS A CASE OF NOT KNOWING WHAT TO FEAR, NOT FEARING WHAT WE DO NOT KNOW.

Aug 9, 04 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

I agree. I wanted to see more of "those we do not speak of." The costumes were great. The elders were obviously caught up in portraying the beasts. I think a better twist would have involved one of the elders loosing control of reality and starting to live the life of the beast and pillaging the village. I know this is not were Shymalan wanted to take the film, but I think it makes for a better story. The elder/beast could have forced the village people back into society while the beast started his own clan in the forest. Thus, leaving the sequel option open.

Aug 9, 04 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
webb

it's disappointing to watch a film where most of the decisions the characters make are solely for a filmic effect, not from a necessity or a problem they face (ie- the choice to revert to 19th century english, dress, medicine, etc.).

Aug 9, 04 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
JG

William Hurts character was a history professor at Upenn, the fact that he did decide to revert to a 19th Century lifestyle makes perfect sense. I also admired the way that they didn't get it exactly right, the language was a bit off, the technology seemed primitive, the cultural rituals, etc... it was a pastich of historicism all cloaked in nostalgic romanticism.

Aug 9, 04 8:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: