Archinect
anchor

After architecture: Success stories of leaving the discipline

mebeyou

For some time I have planned to post this.  I had almost forgot when an old friend emailed me Andrew Maynard's article “Work/life/work balance” reminding me to share my choice. Choice #2

http://www.archdaily.com/?p=234633

I would have posted this in the the most epic and insightful threads here on Archinect:
http://archinect.com/forum/thread/93630/is-architecture-degrading-or-is-it-just-me/

but, I thought it more appropriate to start a new one that collected the stories of those who have left the profession and have something positive to share for others weighing their options.  I apologize if there is already a thread like this somewhere in the rich history of Archinect that I am overlooking.

I started with architecture very young.  I had my first architecture job at 16.  I worked through the rest of high school part-time unpaid.  I have worked for firms S/M/L, unknown to highly regarded, on projects small and large.  I attended a respectable undergraduate architecture program.  After 6 years of professional practice, I was accepted into one of the Ivy's where I received a masters degree.  I have taught/co-taught both undergraduate and graduate studios and seminars.  I have participated in competitions, publications, and conferences.  I have done work that has spanned architecture, landscape, and urban issues.  I never got licensed.

While architecture both professionally and academically fulfilled my creative and intellectual impulses, it never made me happy.  It was like going out with the guy or girl that lights your fire, but is no good for you.  I punished myself with architecture.  But, I continued to tell myself the story that "I was an architect" and that "I was born to do this".  Too many 'I's was my problem to begin with.  The economic viability of the profession and the petty games that go on in academia were hard to stomach as soon as I began taking a hard look in the mirror.  These structural problems though are better detailed in Andrew's article and in the previous thread mentioned above.  For years, these issues did not register because I was too caught up in the many flavors of fantasy perpetuated by weak individuals like myself.  Similar to Wall Street, I kept playing drunk. Finally, after lost years, lost health, and almost losing my family, I made the best "intervention" of my career (sorry, couldn't help but use bad architecture jargon here :) ).  I stopped doing architecture.

Thankfully, I have always been good with computers. I learned to code at a young age. While I was never a form wizard as an architect (one redeeming quality looking back), I did do a lot of web stuff on the side.  Drawing upon this, I began picking up work as a freelancer designing web and mobile apps.  This bought me time and mental space to dive deeper into programming and hone my developer chops.  For the last two years I have tirelessly worked through many tutorials, attended seminars and coding events, and worked with other programmers on open-source projects.

I am now almost 34 and thankfully have reasonable health, a newly assembled network, and a lot of support and luck.  Leaving architecture was the best thing I could have done for myself and my family. I feel like I am out of jail with a second chance. Not a day goes by where I don't think wow "I get to be this person." "I get to live this life".  Now, I get creative and professional fulfillment from my work without any of the weirdness or bullshit.  I have time and energy for my family and extracurricular activities.  And, oh yes, I make 2.5x what I used to make as a Job Captain/Project Manager :)

For those of you have a similarly unhealthy relationship to architecture or are just tired of the profession, DO IT!  You will not be sorry. You owe it to the world to align your passions rightly.  Your skills are very transferable. You will need to take the hard work ethic that you already have and combine it with working smarter (architects are not taught to work smart). A bit of distance from the echo chamber will do wonders.  You will begin interfacing with a lot of smart people whose identities and importance were only on the periphery of your consciousness.  You will learn what real "agency" is. Your head will emerge out of your ass! As time and distance grows things will get easier.  A tightly wound ball with lots of knots requires patience to unwind.

If you too have made a career change, and by a twist of fate find yourself at this forum reading this please leave your story.  We owe it to the young folks who face the hardest economic times to understand that there are a variety of paths out of architecture.

May 17, 12 12:31 am
citizen

Sometimes, just a job change will make a big improvement in one's life. 

Some folks may want to leave the field altogether; that's fine.  Others may not want to toss the "baby" of the field they enjoy with the "bathwater" of a bad job within it.

May 17, 12 11:13 am  · 
 · 
archinet

Seeing that there are far too many graduates then actual jobs in architecture it is only natural to try to expand on our career opportunities. And I don't think it should be looked down upon.

If anything I think architecture students should be taught and prepared early on in school to accept the fact that they may not be architects, and that there is nothing wrong with that. I do think our skills can be easily transferable to other careers.  

Anyways my cousin studied architecture, and only worked for 2 years before he quit his job and started flipping houses. He is now an infill design developer and makes far more money then an architect. Furthermore his work is pretty good, better then most architects up in Canada (he lives in Canada). So I guess that's one example.

May 17, 12 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Flipping houses in Canada is about to meet a very ugly end in about 12-18 months.

Here is a great blog taking a snapshot just before the innevitable collapse.

May 17, 12 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
archinet

Rusty, the post I wrote was 5 or 6 years age. Now my cousin´s business expanded and he is developing 5-10 story apartment buildings (he is not interested in making larger projects, he rather focus on quality). He has yet to encounter this "ugly end" you described- rather he seems to be doing better every year.

May 26, 18 3:03 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Haha, archinet I was about to say the same thing, before I noticed the date of the original post. Things have stayed steady up here in the great white north, thank goodness.

May 27, 19 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
archinet

He finished flipping houses in Canada 2 years ago....he is now finishing building a infill/low rise housing development. He already made a lot off of this. 

BTW thanks for the genius news flash that the housing market is over-inflated. I am sure anyone in the business with half a brain is aware. 

May 17, 12 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

"BTW thanks for the genius news flash that the housing market is over-inflated. I am sure anyone in the business with half a brain is aware."

Oh, fuck off. The bubble nearly destroyed America. Plenty of geniuses saw that one coming as well, and said "How do I cash in on this?", thus making the problem twice as bad. But I'm sure Canadian geniuses are at least 40% more genius than Yanks and will resolve this tactfully over a pint of maple syrup.

May 17, 12 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

Depends where in Canada... right now in Windsor, ON its a buyers market! 

May 17, 12 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
archinet

not Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver. His developments are in Ottawa. Yes parts of the city are a bit over inflated. But the market in Ottawa is nowhere near the level of other major Canadian cities. 

I guess he could do a giant 30 story nasty condo- but he does urban infill housing that does not exceed 4 or 5 stories, therefore adding density without causing a big rupture in the existing urban fabric. Or maybe he concentrates on those developments because due to banking regulations in Canada he could never get a gross american style loan from the bank.

In any case it is an alternative example to architecture that mebeyou asked for in the first  place.

May 17, 12 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
Green34

encouraging fact is that at 80s recession many architects started own business -

it was hard to get employed or compensation was very low

May 17, 12 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
chris-chitect

I find myself agreeing with archinect. Infact doing something like that is my dream.

I've already left architecture after only six months in a firm and about 18 months of unemployment.

Construction management has taught me a lot and feels far more rewarding. I'm also trying to assist a local developer in finding properties. It's amazing how just having sketchup skills is worth its weight in gold to someone that wants to do simple infill developments.

A few months ago I was on this forum complaining about how I'm feeling out of luck with job prospects but now things are looking up since making the switch.

May 17, 12 6:15 pm  · 
 · 
dia

In architecture, there is the traditional path and then there is every other possible path. I haven't strictly worked as a full time architect for 8 years, but I have designed buildings and done pretty much everything else one can do in and around architecture.

All of these decisions, actions and experiences are coalescing into the path I am now on. I consider the last 10 years since graduating as my own self-guided apprenticeship, and finally getting to where I want to be.

May 17, 12 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
Kandarin

"You will learn what real "agency" is. Your head will emerge out of your ass!"

I spent a lot of time joking about the B.S. technical lingo of architecture in school, but this is where it comes back to bite us all. There are a lot of people who would like us to believe that there's a universal technical lingo to architecture that they somehow picked up when we weren't looking. Sometimes this person will be your boss, or your professor if you're still in school. They will use your supposed lack of amorphous design ideology to justify paying you less, or expecting you to work overtime, or otherwise valuing your good work at less than it's work to get you to produce more of it for less.

Don't listen to them. Respect yourself. Whether you stay in the profession or look elsewhere, respect yourself. You didn't make it this far without being highly competent at any number of things. Don't sell that for less than it's worth.

May 17, 12 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
catherinesophie

Thanks for this arcticle. I read it a few years back when I decided to quit too. Eventually I didn't completely, but I changed my approach to work overall, and am now freelancing for enough money to survive without problems while working some 3/5 of the normal contracted time. I plan to retire within 10years (made a savings plan). 

Not a day goes by that I think - I could be some sad senior architect by now, and work weekends. I am so happy that I drew the line. 

May 7, 15 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

But I'm sure Canadian geniuses are at least 40% more genius than Yanks and will resolve this tactfully over a pint of maple syrup.

Actually, because of the financial crisis- Canadian genius is almost on par with American genius, 1:1

Don't listen to them. Respect yourself. Whether you stay in the profession or look elsewhere, respect yourself. You didn't make it this far without being highly competent at any number of things. Don't sell that for less than it's worth.

Good Advice...

May 7, 15 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
ItaASignDamnIt

ok so i almost never comment on articles i read and am not a horoscope reader but fuck me the stars have aligned or some shit because reading this was as if the universe decided it was time for me to stop being a bitch and just do it. Why do i say this? Well because :

1. Its early morning and i have a project review in 2 hours

2.ive been laying here contemplating should i go or just simply not show up, now, or ever again

3.for a solid year, month off month on, ive been rethinking studying architecture, its like being in a relationahip with someone who isnt a good match for you, and you know that sibconsciously, but your mind is telling you 'give it a chance'  'get to know each other better a spark will happen' 'oh but this person has this this and that good' - i caught myself thinking up good things about Arh for a shred of motivation

4.arh requires a lot of time and energy but doesnt compensate financially for it, and thats a fact, so you really gotta love the profession or be a masochist

5.and the reason i decided to comment was the moment i read you got into coding :)

I love computers and these past few months i discovered web development (and webdesign). Never have i ever felt a connection with something as i have with this. Its something im actually interested in and it also doesnt take 6819910 years to learn and get a job + pays well.

So, realizing the comment got out of hand (tends to happen when im talking about something thats stuck in my head all day every day) - ive decided to man up, stop being a pussy and quit this lifesucking major.

(i expect a week of regretting this decision followed by a week of job hunting followed by a life of 'thank god i did that!')

Cheers

Dec 28, 17 2:36 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

Tbf, the prospects of computer science are far brighter than this. Good luck with whatever your decision you opt for!

Dec 28, 17 6:59 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

I wish I had done what you did.

Dec 28, 17 8:00 am  · 
 · 
ItaASignDamnIt

Best decision of my young life.

May 27, 19 6:02 am  · 
 · 

Good day, I too I'm facing the same predicament. I graduated from school almost eight years ago. I'm not registered in fact it has been difficult for me to get registered. In first five years, it was hard to me to get full time work, if I was lucky, I only got 2-5 months. I did freelance work. Until 2015 I went to Trinidad to work, and came back after five months, I was let go. Then I went to work for another firm, and that didn't go so well either. So now for past year and two months I've been doiNg mainly admin work. Honestly, I am nervous to apply to other places because of my last two experiences, and I've become pretty discontent with the profession. And honestly, I can't tell it to other persons in my field because you can't. You're not supposed to. There are times I wish I never went to Masters, I should have explored more what my interests are and grow on them. But I'm 34 years old and it's way too late. 

May 25, 18 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

What a horrible attitude, cause Its never too late.

May 25, 18 6:29 pm  · 
 · 

First time I'm sharing my thoughts on a blog and didn't expect someone to respond. Especially with a comment like that

May 25, 18 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

34 years a way too late lol. At this rate we should all be dead...

May 25, 18 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen
How dare you comment on her 1st post like that. Shame on you.
May 26, 18 1:43 am  · 
 · 
cathsophiesays

Well it's seems like ages since I first stumbled upon your article. First of all I need to thank you for writing it. Every sentence is like a cold shower for an architect who's been in the echo chamber for too long. 

I remember when I first read it. It was fresh, it was smart and it was so... obvious! I think so many people can relate to what you wrote here, you are literally speaking for them. 

Fast forward, today I run my own business and live in the Caribbean. How much of that was influenced by your article here? Very, very much. 

I come back occasionally and read it again and again. Not only is it very well written and I just enjoy it. Not only is the photo you added so inspiring I saved it and also come back to it every year or so. It's that this article isn't about architecture. It's about life in general. It's about rethinking your path and actions. Looking at the big picture. "Aligning your passions rightly", as you beautifully put it. 

Funny enough, architecture wasn't even my first choice. I always had the hots for psychology. It's hard to think what "would be, if...", because everything we experience - especially the hard times - make us who we are. I never chose psychology for my studies, as it didn't look like I'd make a living out of it. Architecture seemed a "reasonable" choice. And yet here I am, working partially as some kind of psychologist. With none of professional training. But tons of success and happy clients who've changed their lives. It's gotten to me yesterday, when a... trained and experienced psychologist called me for consulting. An "expert" thinks I am an even bigger expert. On life choices, and job quitting, at least... 

Well, I can only say "I learned from the best", among which was you, dear author. of this article. 

One phrase stayed engraved in my mind when I first read it: "Not a day goes by where I don't think wow "I get to be this person." "I get to live this life"". I decided from then on - I will do everything to one day be able to say it too. 

And I've been able to say it for a few years now. What a journey! 

Thank you again!

May 26, 18 6:50 am  · 
 · 
Asiabeat

Architectural skills do not transfer too well if you are in your 50's or beyond, even if you are completely up on all the latest technology!....so beware!  Do it early in life or you may become "stuck" in second gear, and be eternally unhappy with your architectural career! 

If you leave when you are under 40, there will be few penalties to pay, but as one of the respondents said, "it's never too late to change from Architecture", to which I will add, true, but the personal sacrifice needed to start over after age 50 is amazingly huge!

Jun 26, 18 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

how old are you?

Jun 26, 18 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
Asiabeat

Jun 26, 18 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

and you left before 40 or just stuck in 2nd gear?

Jun 26, 18 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Asiabeat

Both. I tried, I really tried. I went out and got trained-up with expensive, fancy new training in Management (Top ten MBA), but never succeeded in leaving Architecture permanently. So, I am still in second gear, unbelievable to a Millennial, but "true".

Jun 26, 18 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I'm not a millenial, you should ask before assuming.

Jun 26, 18 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
Asiabeat

My apologies!.....How old are you?

Jun 26, 18 5:47 pm  · 
 · 
archi_dude

I wouldn’t kick yourself about it Asiabeat. It’s tough to acquire so much knowledge on a subject and not think “this has to be valuable if I just tweak it or stay a little longer...”

Jun 26, 18 8:48 pm  · 
1  · 
lostpuppy8

"I have time and energy for my family and extracurricular activities."
"For those of you have a similarly unhealthy relationship to architecture or are just tired of the profession, DO IT!"
"You will need to take the hard work ethic that you already have and combine it with working smarter (architects are not taught to work smart)."

Thank you so much for this incredible post. Everything you said relates so much to me especially these things pasted above. ^ 

I am in my second year of architecture. I absolutely dread it all the time. I truly don't understand how some people love it so much. I think I am interested in the idea of architecture, not the actual profession/work. I hate the culture and lifestyle of this education/profession. Hate how your effort and worth is calculated by the subjective opinion of an egotistical professor. Hate how this education doesn't teach ANY practicality on how to work efficiently whatsoever. Everyday is such a struggle. It's sad that I feel this so early on in my education and introduction to architecture. I relate to your post so much and I am only in college. It makes me so sad. Thank you for this. Hope you are doing great now!!!

Nov 11, 18 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I think that often many who study Architecture have a huge in ability to really launch their career. School / finances / family / life just gets in the way and it is difficult to execute on the basic ability to get your degree, intern, write exams and initiate a career either working for someone else or have enough entrepreneurial skills to do your own thing. Having entrepreneurial skills is critical as the education is excellent to transfer into many other fields related to building / construction /  development design etc. but if you want to be a "Mike Brady kinda architect" i think you'll find it very limiting and not as interesting a career.  Few offices in my opinion simply work in that old school tradition and in my opinion the offices that have a good thing going on have multiple other aspects to there success. ( real estate development, interior design, furniture, building, development planning, energy modelling and graphic design to name a few )Some of it comes from a diversity of backgrounds in the office and some good business skills but it does show that sitting idle and relying on only what you learn in school is a bit of a dead end in most cases..... make architecture great again... by making it relevant.

May 30, 19 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
akheelnaicker

I'd like to get into contact with the author regarding coding. Anyone know how? The site doesn't allow me to message him/her

Jul 18, 19 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

There is a gray link to the right of their username that says "CONTACT" ... have you tried clicking it?

Jul 18, 19 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

EA, why would a bot do that?

Jul 18, 19 6:27 pm  · 
 · 

At 60 you should retire, I hope you married well.

Jul 21, 19 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
Bammerdon

I am glad to have found this article.  I can’t take it anymore and I have been looking for “others” out there who are as sick of the smoke and mirrors as I am.  I'm done with architecture, NCARB, and the whole license cluster****.

I went to school for a B. Arch.  I finished on time, albeit amazingly, because architecture school was torture.  What was most torturous was 1) the subjectivity of evaluation, and 2) listening to a self-congratulatory faculty talk about how marvelous they were and pontificate about the importance of architecture and their own existence, while trying to appear as though I was buying the crap they were selling.  Studio assignments resembling amorphous blobs, ignoring people and gravity, were rewarded with applause. Some students were tortured in much worse ways though: mental anguish and physical injuries (including a fatality) due to car accidents while driving home after sleepless nights in studio.  Some students resorted to taking amphetamines (and methamphetamines) in order to survive the curriculum.  Faculty and administration put their heads in the sand, as does NCARB and NAAB, as well as the discipline as a whole.

Upon graduation, I was recruited by an international A/E/C firm.  Here I realized how my education utterly failed to prepare me for the reality of practice.  I saw that most people on earth will never be touched by "architecture" because architects don’t design for people.  Because of the recession and wanting a leg-up on my peers that I graduated architecture with, I went back to school at night for Master's degree in public policy and administration.  That is one of the best decisions I have ever made.  A few years later, I left the private sector because I could no longer stand to be around “architects.”  I combined my credentials and now work in codes and regulations for a large public jurisdiction.  After the forced 4.0/5.0 transition I had only two NCARB exams remaining, so I decided to continue to chase the title "architect," like an abused person in a relationship chases the idea that the abuser will someday change.  NCARB has changed the paths to licensure so many times during my journey, always in the guise of "staying current" with a discipline that doesn't change.  NCARB, and the ivory tower architects that are NCARB (https://www.ncarb.org/about/board-directors), has robbed people of time, money, and futures by moving goal-posts, and invalidating experience as well as exams.  In NCARB-land, I can make it through the obtuseness of architectural education, earn a graduate degree while working full-time, finish my exploitation hours, manage state-wide projects, and yet I am too dumb to pass the almighty PPD and PDD exams.  In fact, in NCARB-land, the more I study for these exams the dumber I get. 

I can’t be alone in this feeling… I am pissed, but also confused, I think I am grieving too.  I simply can’t take the BS anymore and I am not even in the traditional discipline.  I already feel like there is a weight lifted from my shoulders but, at the same time, there is part of my that feels like a failure since I have only two exams left.  I have taken them multiple times and the more I study, the worse I get.  Anyways, thanks for listening to my rant.  I feel like I have spent much of my life preparing for something that doesn’t actually exist; I feel duped and I am trying to come to terms with it.

Oct 1, 19 1:10 pm  · 
1  · 
threeohdoor

Good post. Sorry to hear the tale, but I appreciate the venting. We all need to vent. I'll say one thing: after you get past the ranting phase, try to be more positive and honest with those around you, especially young folks seeking advice or guidance. Some people are sold a bill of goods that doesn't exist, others just need a different perspective. People deserve to feel satisfied with their life's work, and honesty given at an early stage can empower people. You seem to be in a position where you can offer honesty - cherish that. Cheers.

Oct 1, 19 1:56 pm  · 
1  · 
GridBubbles
  1. Be pragmatic about your feelings
  2. Set realistic solutions
  3. Reassess your values

I get it, architecture is a cult, a circle jerk, and a self congratulatory profession. Who gives a rats a** about getting licensed if you're not going to be happy? I think its much healthier (both mentally and physically) to divorce yourself from architecture and pursue interest that will generate income and truly make you happy. I treat my job as job at the end of the day, just like any other 9 to 5. That doesn't mean I don't work hard to produce results, but it means that if there are things beyond my control, I don't bother wasting mental space for it. Architects and the profession are full idealists trying to "change the world", well guess what, the world sucks, life is unfair, some will be lucky some wont, ces't la vie. What is more important is what YOUR own goals and ambitions are and negotiate as if your life depended on it. Leave the world's problem for someone else more capable and talented to resolve and focus what you can do instead of worrying what you aren't unable to do.

Oct 2, 19 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
Bryanw511

I'm currently in the same position. With only 2 exams left (the same two as you) I'm considering quitting. Not the profession/industry as a whole, but pursuing licensure. As a kid I always liked home design & construction and after 12 years in the industry getting licensed just seemed to be the next logical step. However the more I study and the more responsibility/liability I have at work, the less I want to become an architect. In fact I never really wanted to. I think I liked the idea of it. Im always stressed, border line depressed, and generally just not very happy. I feel like I need to take a step back and maybe I'll start enjoying my work again.

Aug 3, 20 10:57 pm  · 
 · 

Bryan, if you're open to advice from a stranger on the internet: with only two exams left, I suggest you go for it and try to finish. The day you become a registered architect is the day you can completely turn your back on the profession forever - there's nothing left that the profession can ask of you. I got registered 20-ish years ago and since then I've done five different jobs, two in traditional practice and the other three in adjacent fields. Getting registered was the thing that finally let me give up on the idea of being a significant designer. To date my most proudly completed project is a sidewalk I insisted be built connecting a bus stop to an entry door! Once you're registered it is very easy to never give a crap about it again. With only two left I say go for it - if you hadn't started yet my tune would be different. Either way, good luck - architecture just isn't important enough to get this frustrated about!

Aug 4, 20 5:31 pm  · 
8  · 
square.

^ agreed. though i never intend to stamp anything, getting licensed was a way for me to say been there, done that. of course there's always more to learn, but it gave me a different sort of license to know that what's mostly left in the profession for me is management and business, which i'm certainly not interested in.. at all. not to mention there are a lot of perks for the license if you're looking towards other closely related sectors (public-sector work, ngo's/non-profit, teaching, etc.). push through this last brutal phase, know you've won, and then never look back.

Aug 5, 20 9:13 am  · 
3  · 

Square - so you're a licensed architect that doesn't practice architecture? What do you do then and how do you keep up your continuing education?

Aug 5, 20 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
square.

sorry if i wasn't clear- i am currently licensed and practicing (but not in a position/office where i need to stamp anything nor would i want to, and i don't plan to). i offered it more as an anecdote for reasons to get licensed and finish the process even if you don't feel good about going down the traditional path.

Aug 5, 20 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I am licensed but didn’t work as a traditional architect for most of the decade, I used my license to get hired in different roles, last was in a major cultural institution doing publications, exhibitions, some teaching and the like, will be returning to practising architecture in September though...because it will be a job that combines all my previous experiences and interests in one pivotal position...

Aug 5, 20 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

When you’re so close just try to get licensed, you’ll never know where it might lead you. When you don’t get that license you know where it will lead you...to more of the same of where you are now, which can be totally fine too...

Aug 5, 20 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
Bammerdon

Bryan, I took PDD yesterday, again, and failed...again.  I actually don't care this time.  In fact I am relieved.  I have PPD scheduled this Friday and I will be upset if I pass because if I do, that means I must continue on.  With the rolling clock extension due to COVID, I have 3 more attempts at PPD/PDD and I have no intention of using them.  I was bitter and confused for the past year or more because I have come so far... but I realized that I continue this process simply to validate my past/current efforts.  It's like the gambling addict who has lost $10k but keeps betting $100 bills thinking he will recoup his losses.  I don't want to be an "architect," I don't want to be part an arrogant and self-congratulatory profession that's all smoke and mirrors - it's just not worth it.  The thought of turning the page and leaving all this in my rear-view mirror gives me great joy.  However, I did have to grieve for a period of time because my identity was so wrapped up in it, and understandably so: we put massive amounts of effort into this process. If you are on the fence about what to do, give yourself time and compassion.  It's not an easy decision to make.  I liken it to a codependent, dysfunctional relationshit and sometimes in those relationshits it's difficult to see the forrest through the trees.

Aug 4, 20 1:44 pm  · 
1  · 
Bryanw511

I'm right there with you. I'm wondering if I should just take the exams a couple times and see what happens. I never set out to become an architect, it just kind of happened. Like you, I'm finding the thought of quitting very difficult not because I'm quitting a dream, but because I've spent years dedicated to the internship program and studying.

Aug 4, 20 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
Bammerdon

If you haven't taken any exams yet, I would suggest starting with PPD and PDD because those are the ridiculous heavy-lifts... if you can pass those, the rest should be easier. But no joke: they are horrible exams. They are each 2 or 3 exams rolled into one. The pass rate is less than 50%. What has helped me is identifying the other directions that are available to me. I work in code development for a state jurisdiction. License not required. I have worked in planning as well, and I would totally go back into planning, but in the public sector. Fire and life safety is lucrative and you don't need a license. I spoke with a seasoned architect I used to work with, Gary, and he reminded me that a license is not the "end-all, be-all." There is lots one can do with an architectural-ish background that is more lucrative than being a licensed architect. I think people are sold the BS that architects are special and to be licensed is to be special. Gary opined that once licensed all the fun stuff is left to the non-licensed folks and the licensed architects have to do the "boring management and legal crap..." Maybe cutting one's losses early is a blessing in disguise. I dunno. If you are going to embark on the exams, let me know and we can take this offline. I can provide you with suggestions and what I have learned.

Aug 4, 20 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
Bryanw511

I've passed 3 exams in version 5.0 and have PPD & PDD left.

Aug 4, 20 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
Bammerdon

IMO you should continue BUT set a limit for yourself, a point that you will not cross. I was an ARE 4.0 transfer. PDD/PPD are absurd. They are not designed for entry-level architects, they are designed by and for seasoned architects. If you are in northern Cali, I would be happy to give you my study materials.

Aug 4, 20 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
Bryanw511

I transitioned from 4.0 as well, but haven't heard anything good about these last 2 exams. I've already paid for and scheduled them, so I'll take them and see what happens, but like you said I need to draw the line somewhere. I want to like what I do, like I used to, but this process has me getting burnt out and even starting to despise the profession a little.

Aug 4, 20 8:25 pm  · 
2  · 
archi_dude

"They are not designed for entry level architects, they are meant for seasoned architects." Ah so it's a successful system that ensures people stamping know what they are doing, fantastic feedback!

Aug 5, 20 8:29 pm  · 
1  · 
Anotheranonyarch

Your comments have been spot on in my experience. Absolutely spot on. I've been down the same road, taken multiple times, and throughout the process just questioned why am I doing this? I took about a 2 year hiatus, and I've now decided that I'm not going to take them anymore. Over the past 8 years working in the field, from one of the largest AE firms, to my dream job working with a sole practitioner who has similar ideas about tech, and all sorts of other things. I had just come to realize that I have been chasing something I don't want in order to get a title. And a title I don't even want to use really aside from the pride of being able to call myself an architect, and have better job prospects. But then it occurred to me, do I want the jobs that require a license? I had been working for those people for the past 8 years, seen what they do. I don't want it. Nor do I want the liability that comes with a seal. Seriously, no thank you. And to those my age that are striving for licensure and the almighty responsibility that comes with it, you are welcome, because it will be less competition.

Aug 24, 21 11:05 pm  · 
1  · 
Anotheranonyarch

I got cut off, formatting a comment on my phone isn't easy here. But man. I was relieved to find this article, then extremely relieved to find your comment. I can't find a way to DM you, but feel free to contact me if you want to vent some more. Be well.

Aug 24, 21 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
asierra13

First time commenting on archinet, but I came across this article back in 2016 and it's been saved in my emails ever since. Using your words mebeyou, the twist of fate brought me here, at the crossroads of my career (all in the middle of this global pandemic of all times). 

As of now, I'm seriously considering getting away from the profession for the time being. During these past three months, I had a fallout with and resigned from the architecture firm I used to work for 4 years, started helping another firm with a new construction residential project, and started painting more often again. I do want to study for the exams and get my license, but I feel like I need to rediscover myself outside the bubble of working at a firm, even though my experience is not as extensive and I read way too many horror stories of working at large corporate firms. 

So for the time being, I'm feeling more ready to pivot my career with the experiences I've obtained of working in the discipline, as well as seeking a path that can provide more of that creative niche I've felt deprived of in the traditional architecture practice. My only problem now is exactly how am I supposed to do so! 

I read Andrew Maynard's work life work balance article and it resonated with me, because I've had my share of sacrificing my personal life and mental health for the sake of the profession for many years, and ultimately, this is the factor that is bringing me to that, because I know that straying the path and "paying my dues" is no longer cutting it for me. Thank you once again OP for your article and your wisdom.

Sep 23, 20 7:12 pm  · 
1  · 
Janette

Hey Sierra! Just want to say that I, too, once worked for a large firm and it was probably no different that working as an accountant or being a social worker - it was often just hum-drum, it didn't satisfy me. That said, these are just my two cents and maybe they will help, maybe not. I put so much effort into school/internship hours/testing for many years. It took a mental and physical toll on me. Once NCARB forced me to transition to ARE 5.0 (I could not have finished the 4.0 exams in time for the phase-out) I took the two monster exams a couple times and failed. Those two 5.0 exams are more like 5 exams each! I had already started a residential design business which does not require a license so I decided to say goodbye to the license. It took a while to get over - it was like a relationship breakup - but I realized that I was wayyyy too attached to the license, architecture had become attached to my identity and was beginning to feel that if I didn't become licensed I was a failure. The fact is that you can make a great living without a license, working as an architect is not glamorous like architects would have people believe, and for me it was very liberating to donate and dump all those study materials! Also, I found a niche market where I live where people will pay for scale models of their homes so that's a nice hobby that fulfills me and it pays in addition to my day job. My point is: don't be afraid to explore other opportunities. Architecture is not the only way to go and the license isn't as valuable as architects make it out to be. Put your energy into something that makes you happy and if traditional architecture doesn't do that, leave it in your rear-view mirror.

Sep 24, 20 11:27 am  · 
3  · 
asierra13

I appreciate your response Janette!

Sep 24, 20 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
asierra13

I'm so happy you get to make scale models, thats definitely something I miss about being in architecture school, along with the creativity part of it. I'm a painter and I want to start finding ways to incorporate architecture and what I learned in school into my artwork, and of course get paid for it :)

Sep 24, 20 1:11 pm  · 
1  · 

So Janette came back . . .

Sep 24, 20 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: