Archinect
anchor

Holiday Bonus Time!

snooker

Well it is good to know those big bonuses have gone for good things: www12.georgetown.edu/sfs/mortara/about.html

Dec 17, 06 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Cut and Paste might work better:

Friday, November 17, 2000
Alum Mortara Dead at 51
Board of Directors Member Founded SFS Chair, Fund
By Anne Rittman
Hoya Staff Writer
A member of Georgetown University’s board of directors, Michael Mortara (SFS ’71), died in his Litchfield, Conn., home Sunday at the age of 51. President and chief executive of GS Ventures, a Goldman Sachs-financed business, Mortara’s death was caused by a brain aneurysm, according to an article in the New York TimesA partner at Goldman Sachs, Mortara was instrumental in founding the market for mortgage-backed securities, currently valued at over $2 trillion. Prior to his involvement with GS Ventures, Mortara was co-head of the firm’s fixed income division since 1994.

According to a Goldman-Sachs press release, Mortara was recognized as a financial pioneer when he became a partner at Goldman Sachs in 1987. Joining Salomon Brothers in 1974, Mortara gained a reputation as a financial pathfinder, attaining “legendary status” among bond traders, according to the press release.

“As a member of the Board of Directors and a true son of

Mortara donated $5 million to endow a distinguished chair in diplomacy with his wife, Virginia, earlier this year. The Mortara Dean’s Leadership Fund allows the SFS to provide additional resources and special events while also supporting initiatives such as the Program for Science, Technology and International Affairs and the Center for African Studies. The funding will help the School of Foreign Service add technology and renovate classrooms, seminar rooms and offices.

Dec 17, 06 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

8.5%. Would be lower, but I adjusted for only 2 months of employment.

Dec 17, 06 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

OK, so apparently I'm not the only one who thinks that $600,000 bonuses are out of hand:

NY Times article about Goldman Sachs bonuses. Some of the top traders actually got $100 million in year-end compensation.

An excerpt from the article:

"In London, Goldman’s office cleaners threatened to strike. “Whilst bankers at Goldman Sachs will be splashing out on second homes, cars and polo ponies with their multimillion-pound bonuses, cleaners at Goldman Sachs are being squeezed by staff cutbacks,” Tony Woodley, general secretary of the Transport & General Workers’ Union, which represents the cleaners, told BBC News."

Dec 18, 06 9:53 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

I must say that's bollocks!

and yes it's completely out of hand WonK......unbelievably out of hand

Dec 18, 06 11:34 am  · 
 · 
mdler

i may get a pair of slippers

Dec 18, 06 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
volcomic

woahhh...

$1500 bonus + 12.6% salary increase.

large office

Dec 18, 06 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
ThriftyAcres

mdler,
I saw a nice pair with penguins on them at J.CREW when I was shopping for my sisters gifts. 100% lambs wool too!

Dec 19, 06 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

My bosses are on a vacation in Morroco. I am left at the office to hold down the fort...

guess who is eating all of the gift basket chocolate

Dec 19, 06 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

hold down the fort=more archinect posts

Dec 19, 06 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Dammson

I'm gonna beat Vado at his own game...10,000 posts, here I come

Dec 19, 06 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

mdler- start a thread and make each post one word....

I almost tried that to break the 1k post mark.

Dec 19, 06 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

o

Dec 19, 06 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

k

· 
mdler

a

· 
mdler

y

Dec 19, 06 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

start a new thread!!!!!!

Dec 19, 06 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

that's gonna be a mind boggling thread plus hurtful on the eyes on top staring cad all day

Dec 19, 06 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
LightMyFire66

50 person office........
everyone (who isn't a VP or CEO) got around 5%

i spent all mine on broken plumbing and a new water heater for the house.

Thank God the firm had a good year.

Dec 19, 06 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

light....least it wasn't spent on taxes...

Dec 19, 06 7:24 pm  · 
 · 

Actually, I'm guessing that my tax refund will be at least 2x my bonus this year. How's that for fucked up?

Dec 19, 06 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

Last year my year-end bonus was 10k. I don't have any way of knowing about this year. I guess it probably will be less, or maybe the same - but it could be zero, and it could be more but I doubt it. I think I will know on Thursday, but I'm not even 100% sure about that. I'm trying not to count on getting anything.

Dec 19, 06 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

2 man office, so i think i'm going to get the same 50 dollar christmas gift from my boss...even that is not sure...his son in law, daughter, and 5-month old just moved in and he's supporting them in the meantime...but i don't care for the 50 bucks worth of guilt...

Dec 19, 06 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

christmas party tonight. I think I get a $10 meal and 2 cocktails!

Dec 19, 06 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

Been there 4 months, got 5%. I'm satisfied, But I was going to go for a raise in another couple months...My claim of being undercompensated at that point might be a little shakier.

I'm pretty sure everyone else got alot more though (as they should, I suppose)...there were some real shiteating grins this morning.

Dec 19, 06 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well if it don't happen today there will be no grinning here. although i did get a bonus six months ago. thazz long gone however. the boss just rolled up in a new A8 though, so i guess somebody got a bonus...

Dec 20, 06 9:26 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Man Vado....that A8 coulda paid for probably at least half your office's bonuses (esp if he got the suped up version with all the gadgets, whcih I am sure he probably did)

Dec 20, 06 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
Dapper Napper

So, Vado, did it happen?

Dec 21, 06 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Well if your a legal Drug Lord you could have 198 million in your pocket plus another 98 million in your pension fund....some
Christmas Present for the a guy who got replaced.

Dec 21, 06 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

my brother, who is still in school, works for a men's clothing store in Cincinnati. Got a custom suit for Xmas from his bosses...they have also offered him a $100,000 + job after he gets out of school

Dec 21, 06 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
cmdace18

Well,

I got: $1200 put into my 401k and $600 check bonus. That's $1800. I guess that's good. Too bad I can't touch all of the 401k (100%) for 5 years. Ugh.

Dec 21, 06 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I got $1000 cash. It went straight to the bank and into a CD for grad school next year.

Dec 21, 06 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

Results are in for me: $7500. Last year I got 10k. But I'm feeling ok about things.

Dec 21, 06 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

cpnorris, what cd is worth $1k? Also, I listened to a lot of music while in grad school. Phhh. You could have spent that on more cds than one! Sucker.

Dec 22, 06 2:57 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

we got giftcards. not a tremendous amount either. and not what i m used to. turns out the audi is used but still...

Dec 22, 06 7:19 am  · 
 · 

well, just discovered i got same as last year - one months salary bonus.
i guess it helps balance out the fact that yesterday my boss asked if
i can work the week between xmas and NYE.

Dec 22, 06 7:56 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis
NEW YORK

-- John Mack's record for the biggest bonus on Wall Street didn't last even a week. It was smashed by the $53.4 million that Goldman Sachs gave its chief executive, Lloyd Blankfein.

The bonanza for Blankfein included a cash bonus of $27.3 million, with the rest paid in stock and options. He took the helm of the investment bank in June after President Bush nominated Henry Paulson to be Treasury secretary.

The record payday, disclosed by Goldman Sachs Group Inc. in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Tuesday, breaks the one set just last Thursday when Morgan Stanley disclosed that it paid CEO Mack $40 million in stock and options. Mack, who is 62, rejoined Morgan Stanley 18 months ago to turn around the company after the ouster of Philip Purcell. Mack's short-lived record bested one set in 2005 by Goldman's Paulson, who was given $38.3 million.

Other than Blankfein, 11 other senior Goldman executives as a group were granted slightly more than $150 million in shares and stock options. The highest paid among those were Gary Cohn and Jon Winkelried, who both hold the titles of president and chief operating officer. They each received $25.6 million in shares and options in 2006.

Any cash bonuses for the other executives were not mentioned in the filings.

The bonuses come after Goldman reported last week that it had earned the highest yearly profit in the history of Wall Street. Net profit rose 70 percent to $9.4 billion on revenue of $37.67 billion. Goldman and other firms have benefitted from a surging market for takeovers and a strong stock market.

Goldman said last week it had set aside a total of $16.5 billion this year for salaries, bonuses and benefits. On average, this would translate to $622,000 per employee.

The bonuses come in a year in which Goldman shareholders have benefited from a rise of about 58 percent in the company's share price, the strongest returns of any Wall Street investment house.

Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. and Bear Stearns Cos. have said they would pay about $12 billion in compensation each. Lehman said last week it paid its chief executive, Richard Fuld, $10.9 million in stock this year.

Shares of Goldman rose $2.11, or 1 percent, to $203.35 in mid-morning trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

Dec 22, 06 9:45 am  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

I got a 5 % bonus this year. Same as last year, but this time taxes were taken out of it. Darn - that makes quite a difference!

Dec 22, 06 10:30 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

hang the rich for christmas...

Dec 22, 06 10:38 am  · 
 · 

judging by the lump of money that entered by account this morning, I got around 3%. But it's hard to tell because of stupid taxes. If I remember correctly, they took almost half my bonus last year.

Dec 22, 06 10:45 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

results......
I got less that 1 fricken percent (>1%)

and guess what? The boss just got himself a brand new BMW 5 series with all the bells and whistles!

hmmmm...............

Dec 22, 06 11:44 am  · 
 · 

well, if it's any consolation, I was just informed that I'll have to spend the bulk of my bonus on car repairs...

Dec 22, 06 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
BOTS

Bonus of 0.7% (beer money)
Limited edition watercolour print (A3 size)
3 bottles of wine (red)
3 days off (not including 3 bank holidays)

Lets get wasted and stare at my lovely print...

Dec 22, 06 2:56 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

The employer's perspective ;

10 days off not billing ....................... negative -$35,000.00
Bonus pay outs / Christmas Party.......... negative -$15,000.00
Ski Passes for all the staff / Family ...... negative -$11,500.00

Having a Ski Pass and time off with the best snow base in the world at this time............ Priceless.

Dec 22, 06 3:22 pm  · 
 · 
ZEZE

25% of salary

Dec 22, 06 3:52 pm  · 
 · 

bonus: amount of normal 2week paycheck x 1.5. and next week off.

Dec 23, 06 7:47 am  · 
 · 
waxwings

~7% salary
quarterly bonuses total ~5% for the year

no complaints

Dec 23, 06 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
santa monica

10 people in firm, bonus = 8% of salary

Jan 1, 07 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

Hate to drag this one out of the closet but I have an update...

Large Firm (3000+)
Medium Office (50+)
4th Year BSarch
6 Months @ Pos.
CAD Guru

Bonus = 1.8%
Raise = 5%

Better than nothing.

Jan 11, 07 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

No bonus, regrettfully. 4.2% raise. Verbal promise of 5k raise upon registration, hopefully in '07 for me!

Jan 11, 07 6:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: