Archinect
anchor

Thoughts on Behnisch Architekten?

meowmeow

There is a chance I might be moving to Germany to work for Behnisch when I graduate in May. I was just wondering what people's opinions of the firm are...I guess their most well known work in the states is the Genzyme center in Boston.

Nov 27, 06 9:01 pm

Its not much but...
I worked for NPS as an intern during the last phase of the Genzyme project. Had little contact with people from BBP personally but only heard good things about them from people that had more dialogue with them on the project.

Nov 27, 06 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

when i worked in germany, they were highly regarded among the workers i socialized with - although most of them held o.m. ungars work in high regard as well. i also heard it's a very good stepping stone into better firms, though i can't verify that. if you get a chance to interview, could you pass on info obtained? i am looking at moving back in a few, and they are near the top of my list. will be interested to see their upcoming mixed-use projects.

danke sehr

Nov 27, 06 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
robust84

Let's see.

I tried to get a job at their LA office a while back but they didn't even respond to my inquiries.

But regardless, they're definitely cool architects - doing super cool stuff while maintaining rather quadratic forms.

They're in Stuttgart, right? Not the most interesting city, but certainly a much more vibrant and rewarding urban experience than you'd find in the vast majority of american cities. And besides, you're only a 2 hour train ride from Munich.

Nov 27, 06 10:46 pm  · 
 · 

Haven't seen the German office, but one of my studios visited their LA office and it was pretty damn cool.

Nov 27, 06 11:15 pm  · 
 · 

urbanemaan, i worked there in 2002-3 in stuttgart (city office). i found it a pretty good experience, esp coming from australia it was a big change to where i had worked before - bigger, more interesting projects.
i worked mostly on competitions, but also spent a few months on the Genzyme project.
the vibe in the office was really good, lots of overseas ppl, which helps. we did work pretty long hours, but not all the time. language was not a big issue, although it of course depends what project you work on.
if you have specific questions let me know.

Nov 28, 06 2:36 am  · 
 · 

oh one thing i forgot to mention though - stuttgart is not the most exciting city to live in. but at least you are close to switzerland and other cities to visit on weekends.

Nov 28, 06 2:37 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Good work. Also, they are one of the few firms doing large work that is interesting. That means not only do they know good archtiecture, but they know how to run a business and make money.
And if that wasn't enough, they also win competitions.

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity.

Nov 28, 06 9:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: