Archinect
anchor

Converting a Big Box

athenaeum

Has anyone worked on a project converting the typical wal mart big box?

Nov 20, 06 1:00 pm
whistler

Macfarlane + Green Architecture in Vancouver BC coverted a large box retail spot into a college building that just won an award.

Nov 20, 06 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
orEqual

I've worked on a project that converted a Super K-Mart big box into tinier boxes.

Nov 20, 06 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
jjh

look at lewis.tsurumaki.lewis. they have done some speculative projects with big box convertions. enric mirralles - rehabitation santa caterina market. also, take a look at wal mart's projected growth. for the 2005 FYE they planned on 50-55 retail centers, 220-230 supercenters, and 25-30 neighborhood markets. as of april 2004 there were approx 3500 wal mart stores on this planet. so if you do come up with a good plan you will have quite a few opprotunities to impliment it.

Nov 20, 06 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

I'm working on a small big box remodel right now. Not a Walmart. Ask me anything. I'm brilliant.

Nov 20, 06 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
athenaeum

i'm working on a speculative landscape installation in a defunct wal-mart [they built a new one - bigger and better about 3 miles away]. We're constructing a giant terrain covering the entire groundplane. I'm mostly wondering what kind of problems people have had with the existing structures, especially the subgrade.

Nov 20, 06 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
stephanie

my firm is working on converting a 375,000 SQFT former circut manufactuing warehouse into a school and supporting disctrict facilities.

Nov 20, 06 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

I also once took a great big box and made a rocket ship. Man, that was cool.

Nov 20, 06 10:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: