Archinect
anchor

speaker pelosi

Elimelech

any thoughts on the election last night?

I am happy to end one-party rule if nothing else.

Nov 8, 06 8:19 am
vado retro

the terrorists won...

Nov 8, 06 8:48 am  · 
 · 

guess the u.s. WAS ready for the 'san francisco style politics' with which the republicans kept trying to scare us?

Nov 8, 06 8:48 am  · 
 · 
Elimelech

I know vado is just joking, but the real-deal numb-skull speak:
http://www.wonkette.com/politics/midterms/free-republic-gives-up--dies-213217.php

I specially like the dude that says that last night was comparable to 9/11.

Nov 8, 06 9:26 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

the free republic has died. by voting.. i guess they missed that part...

Nov 8, 06 9:43 am  · 
 · 
A

Steven - I'm not sure Pelosi becoming speaker means the US is ready for anything specific, let alone SF style politics.

My thoughts on the results from yesterday is the Democrats sucessfully made this election a referrendum on Iraq and Bush. Which is fine, but remarkably different from 1994 when the Republicans took control. Back then they ran on a platform, the so called contract w/America, which I don't think they delivered on, but that's neither here nor there. Exit polls showed voters were voting against republican incumbants and not for the democratic rival.

If anything the people were asking for some checks & balances. Not the radical liberalism Pelosi espouses. Note that Liberman won as an independant in Conn.

What I feel really shows the attitude of the country is the ballot initiatives. For example a more liberal state like Wisconsin approved a gay marriage ban and a return of the death penalty while a conservative state like South Dakota defeated a ban on abortions.

Overall I feel the country is more moderate, middle of the road than ever before. Things should be interesting in the next couple years. I like Washington gridlock more than slamming bills through faster than we can digest them. Still holding hopes on a strong 3rd party someday. If we let the democrats screw with congress for a few years that's a few more fed up voters. Baby steps. My 2 cents.

Nov 8, 06 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I don't know why so many people get so pissed when the Dems win. They're just as criminal as the GOP yet some people I guess have never managed to see that both parties are rotten to the core. Well now they know how the other half of the country has felt for the last 6 years. It's nice to end defacto one-party rule, at least it lets us know American democracy isn't TOTALLY dead.

Nov 8, 06 9:59 am  · 
 · 

all I want to hear now is impeachment hearings...

come on senate...

Nov 8, 06 10:12 am  · 
 · 
I'm not sure Pelosi becoming speaker means the US is ready for anything specific, let alone SF style politics.

not my phrase. this was part of the fear-mongering script some republicans were using to scare middle-americans away from voting democrat. 'you may be voting for a moderate dem, but you'll make HER speaker...and you know what THAT means.'

Nov 8, 06 10:18 am  · 
 · 
rayray

good call JJ - let's get some impeach bush action going. Any word on what or who the VP shot yesterday, apparently he spent the day hunting. Talk about trying to intimidate the voters, that's enough to keep any sane person inside.

Nov 8, 06 10:21 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

wouldn't the country benefit from actually getting back to
the business of democratic government rather than get bogged
down in impeachment hearings? i'm not republican, and i'm not
a big fan of this administration, but seems to me that we wasted
most of the second term of clinton's with impeachment...

i guess the major difference being that lying to the country and
taking it to war is probably more of an impeachable offense...

i just feel as though a democratic run senate could be better
used concentrating on doint things like...oh i don't know...giving
american citizens some of the civil liberties back...maybe
reviewing the ramifications of the patriot act...etc.

Nov 8, 06 10:22 am  · 
 · 

business as usual always makes things better. let's turn on the tv and forget that we even voted

Nov 8, 06 10:29 am  · 
 · 

impeachment and civil liberties I'll stand for nothing less.

Nov 8, 06 10:35 am  · 
 · 
Nov 8, 06 10:42 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

if the dems had anywhere near the kind of political ability the GOP has, this president would've gotten impeached years ago. The Dems have to start undoing the damage that's been done, like the Patriot Act, the National debt, the bogus tax break, our broken security and somehow figuring out what the hell we're gonna do in Iraq not to mention a whole bunch of other stuff. Seems like a tall order.

Nov 8, 06 10:46 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

jj

not doing impeachment hearings isn't a call for business as
usual...it's just the hope that we can maybe get some things
done that have been avoided for the last 6 years.

Nov 8, 06 10:46 am  · 
 · 

If I had my choice for the new agenda:

-re-thinking the Patriot Act and keeping Bush's people in check
-Raising the min. wage
-progressive immigration reform
-increasing grants (and loans with easier terms) for education
-environmental leadership: REAL clean air and water, capping greenhouse gases
-new energy (solar, etc...) leadership
-ending federal welfare of the oil industry

Nov 8, 06 10:47 am  · 
 · 

they can do all that plus impeachment.

shit they barely worked for the last six years

Nov 8, 06 11:07 am  · 
 · 

just to add on...

-health care reform

Nov 8, 06 11:08 am  · 
 · 
e

- and healthcare reform

Nov 8, 06 11:09 am  · 
 · 

I don't understand why you guys think that any of these things will work with a lame duck president and a war that costs 8 billion dollars a day! why would bush work with a democratic congress which will propose issues like health care reform, the repealing the patroit act, ending welfare for oil companies etc when he can veto everyone of those things. Now I'm not talking about impeachment because that will make any of your items vibable, but that this admistration has harmed the fundentmental tenets of our republic and our position in the world. They are guilty of war crimes and torture and should be held accountable. If we want to improve our standing in the world, fix things in Iraq, and improve in the war on terror...in my mind impeaching bush is the best direction to go. come on montana and virginia!

Nov 8, 06 11:17 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

JJ, let us bask in a feeling of post-election optimism before we all get cynical again next week. If you want Bush out of office the only way it will ever happen is by force. The dems simply don't have the political ability to do it. If however you wanna get strapped and go run a raid on the white house, look me up im in the NYC area. We gotta kill Cheney too, then, waitaminute, that means constitutionally NANCY PELOSI would be president! A new-liberal dream if ever I heard one...

I sure hope the NSA doesn't read these posts...

Nov 8, 06 11:27 am  · 
 · 

hummm. most posts are saying like as if democrats won the big election, have a plan and the democratic president is going ahead with reforms.
don't forget though, this is a mid term election with dems gaining majority in the house and maybe .., maybe in the senate.
best doable action action can come out from this is perhaps impeachment of bush and or numerous commissions questioning the iraq, afganistan wars, and documenting some power abuse and wrong doing possibly opening the way for criminal trials. perhaps two years later winning the general elections putting a dem in the white house w/ majorities in senate and the house of reps. then going after all the stuff has been untouched for years like the healthcare reform and the rest.
i aggre with john that best we can expect now is some impeachment process started and prepping the ground to pull out from iraq even it hurts our false national pride. and keep the money for our badly fallen domestic needs.
one more thing;
some people sees pulling out from iraq as a defeat. i am saying we are already defeated there. you can win a sustained victory against somebody else's homeland.

Nov 8, 06 11:48 am  · 
 · 

errata;
you can't win a sustained victory against somebody else's homeland.

Nov 8, 06 11:50 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

JJ, here's another strategy that's occurring to me....

What if we do what lars and q are saying....go after all of these things that make so much sense to people. Be really, really aggressive in pursuing all of these important legislative issues, and then when the House and the Senate pass the laws, and the President tries to start vetoing things right and left, that pretty much puts any Republican who supports him on the defensive for the BIG one in '08. Then of course if he passes a law that the Dems write, like say, something about immigration, that is just affirming the fact that it is a good idea that the Dems come up with.

All in all, I'd say, "it's on!" and the campaign for the '08 election starts today. I hate to say it and I hate the whole campaign thing that we are subjected to but I think there's a time and a place for making the Repubs pay for Iraq, and now is not it. The Dems cannot afford to waste one iota of time on anything that is not proactive and helpful to the country. Remember this was a referendum on the incumbents in power more than a vote for the Dems so we need people to get things done as quickly as possible. Which means I hope Nancy Pelosi can step up to the plate, and step down the partisan rhetoric that quite frankly, I am sick of.

PS, I'm pretty sure the NSA could read anything it wants, BTW. Fortunately we all know you are kidding.

Nov 8, 06 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

Or am I? I dunno, I've been pretty pissed these last few years, i hope the dems can calm my troubled soul. I think the best thing Nancy Pelosi can do is stop saying STUPID stuff. Her politics don't offend me nearly as much as that mouth of hers. This election means we're tired of the same old left-right partisan BS the worst thing she can do is continue with that.

Nov 8, 06 11:57 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

hey all the mopes who were unable to stand up to the bush led invasion of iraq are now in power. great...

Nov 8, 06 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

all you archiconnecticutors can have a cup of joe with joe...

Nov 8, 06 12:02 pm  · 
 · 

well, as they say history will be the judge and its already judged big bad nancy and the rest of the do nothing congress from their previous tour of duty. time to stand up and show our grit. I'm going to write a letter to each senator and congressman if the demos take both cameras...

Nov 8, 06 12:19 pm  · 
 · 

and time for something more cynical

listen to nader on the demos

Nov 8, 06 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

Anyone experience a bit of guilty euphoria watching Santorum's kids weep at his side during the concession speech last night?

Nov 8, 06 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

after the 2004 election, lots of dems were talking 'bout moving to canada. So, are any GOP faithful talking about leaving 'merica for a right-wing paradise?

Where would that be?

Nov 8, 06 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

iD LIKE TO SEE SOME HOT PALOSI HILLARY GIRL ON GIRL ACTION - SILVER FOXES - GRRRR

Nov 8, 06 12:50 pm  · 
 · 

australia apparently

Nov 8, 06 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
khmay

first woman speaker.. wow our country is f'ed up

Nov 8, 06 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
A

I stand corrected Steven. Although I didn't hear that particular comment from any republicans running in my state.

I'd just warn the dems that if they let Pelosi be Pelosi get ready for 2008 to be very much like 1994 was. Although many archinectors are very left leaning, the entire country isn't. Most of the dems that won are moderate. This was done by design to gain the house. Then again, it also means little chance for impeachment hearings and slim chances of radical sweeping legislation.

The real winner, at least in my state, is a 3rd party soundly took over 5% in all elections (20% in the 5th). I honestly feel we will get nowhere by always electing the same two tired parties to office.

Nov 8, 06 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
e

what a bad joke from bush at his news conference about the first woman to take the position of speaker of the house. he roughly said, in my first effort of bi-partisianship, i shared with speaker pelosi some names of interior decorators to help her pick out curtains for her new office.

Nov 8, 06 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

bye-bye rumsfeld!

Nov 8, 06 1:12 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

mfrech, my roommate and I are currently considering having a "Santorum is gone" party, so I'm actually sorry I missed that. Also I don't experience guilt, 12 years of catholic school took care of that....

Nov 8, 06 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

i'll tell you who won in this election: a species we all thought was endangered, which is the conservative democrat.

Nov 8, 06 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
mfrech

wonderK, it's a must see... i'm sure you'll be able to find the video on youtube sometime soon, it was a beautiful sight to behold. it was actually a pretty gracious speech coming from a such a monstrous ideologue, but seeing his kids crying was downright hilarious.

Nov 8, 06 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

"But Daddy... We still get the trust fund, right?"

Nov 8, 06 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

ochona - dont forget the liberal conservatives. Ironically most of the public falls into this grey middle.

Nov 8, 06 2:07 pm  · 
 · 

MONTANA CALLED FOR THE DEMS

they now have 50 seats

Nov 8, 06 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Rim Joist

And and even fifty asses to fill them....RIMSHOT!

Nov 8, 06 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
rayray

rick's downfall and some angst within the family - enjoy guilt free!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aggressiveplaid/292015361/

Nov 8, 06 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I have been listening to NPR all day as I am a news junkie and it is the best possible medicine for me right now. Anyway, they basically just said something along the lines of what I said earlier....the Dems strategy will be either they "win the law or they win the issue". I.e., if they write a bill about the minimum wage and pass it, then they send it to Bush and he passes it, then we get new minimum wage laws. On the other hand, if he vetoes, the Dems get political capitol because they tried to help the working class...

Nov 8, 06 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Anyway -> I'm just saying. (got a phone call, had to pause)

Being at the campaign parties last night was so much fun. It was the first time in ages that I've attended a Victory party that was actually for Victory......and it was good to see people I voted for actually win, too.

Nov 8, 06 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you know wk, i think you have the qualities of a leader. i am impressed with you.

Nov 8, 06 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

vado,

you should have seen her as a DAAP Ambassador...

'and here is the senior studio...notice how it smells sort of funny'

Nov 8, 06 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I'd vote for her...

Nov 8, 06 7:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: