Archinect
anchor

A new desk ... ?

mgs

Well, I just moved into a new apartments and trashed my old desk that I had attached a drafting surface to.

I'm about to buy a new desk/drafting table so and I've found two used ones in the area. They are virtually the same price after adding a mayline straight edge and cables as well as resurfacing with some vyco.

One is the Alvin Ensign (31x48?) and the other is wooden (30x42) but has an integrated light table in the center of the table.

Which would you prefer? The light table seems pretty sweet to me but I don't know maybe the Alvin is a better sure bet. I'll be using it for the next year in putting together my M.Arch I portfolio so having a physical drawing/layout surface is important to me.

Nov 7, 06 6:36 pm
mgs

Alvin Ensign

[url=http://d.im.craigslist.org/6P/XG/pwgKk3hOCB7FAmMpbelGKNaLSm4B.jpg]

Light Table

[url=http://d.im.craigslist.org/lJ/eO/xMJQo7KjSMWE7dzWDLEkJxIsW7xz.jpg]

Nov 7, 06 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
mgs

Alvin Ensign

Light Table

[/idiot]

Nov 7, 06 6:42 pm  · 
 · 
spaceghost

which ever is a bigger surface. (no i am not from texas.)

i find the more flat space the better. and when it is not in use you have a larger area to search for your keys under months of un-read mail.

only thing i would worry about on the light table version is the cracks where the glass stops and wood starts seems like it would be a potential nightmare for hand drafting. but a light table could be really useful other times.

Nov 7, 06 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

hollow core door

Nov 7, 06 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
binary

make your own.....

i would do the eline though...i have one at the house..... the light table would be handy but you would have to use a full sheet of acrylic for the entire top to go over the seam line of the light table

Nov 7, 06 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

honestly the hollow core door is definatly the best way to go.
the more space on ur table the better.

i had one of these beasts all through out my undergrad - 3'6"x7'
mayline adjustable drafting table

along with a vemco 512 sliding drafting machine

got it all for free from my uncle who worked at an undisclosed govt facility...they were throwing the whole thing away

at the end of thesis i threw the metal portion of the table(base) in the trash - kept the table top and the machine - i will never throw them away

Nov 7, 06 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
weAREtheSTONES

i actually left all my drawings taped to the table - turned up the table top so that it was perpendicular to the floor and directed my presentation from that

Nov 7, 06 11:14 pm  · 
 · 
mgs

Well, I ended up grabbing both. The light table only ended up being $60, I won't bother laminating it or putting new acrylic and I'll just use it as a small table and light box instead of drafting table, then use the ensign for cutting and drafting.

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all the ideas though. 237, that table looks amazing. Can you post other pictures and possibly details of what it's made up of?

.ms

Nov 8, 06 10:14 am  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

I think the table's great too, 237. Maybe one day when I have enough room (and enough money) I'll have you make one for me!

Nov 8, 06 10:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: