Archinect
anchor

So, I have realized...

mdler

that I no longer enjoy spending my day doing drawings of houses for un-appriciative clients who end up screwing me out of $$$...

Oct 30, 06 2:25 pm
Blue202

that's strange. my passion for it still runs strong after all these years.

Oct 30, 06 2:36 pm  · 
 · 

i just decided last week that i'll feel a lot better about things if i lower my expectations. i'm gonna quit calling myself architect and go with construction facilitator instead.

Oct 30, 06 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
Blue202

i've been going with "babysitter"

Oct 30, 06 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
3dGraffiti

I keep my passion for architecture separate from the profession. But don't tell my clients!

Oct 30, 06 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

contractor+interior designer= GREAT CLIENT! YA WRONG!!!! I HATE THEM MESSING WITH MY DESIGNS.

Oct 30, 06 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

Didn't we have a thread about why interior designers cannot be trusted around a construction site?

Ahh, yes we did.

The only thing worse is when your client is married to an interior designer.

Oct 30, 06 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

Blue202 - true that!

Oct 30, 06 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

oh ya? We had a client who's former law partner became an interior designer after having some kids and now goes around threatning lawsuits to subs who dont do her designs her way ( in her head, not on paper - think joints in granite, columns that are too thick etc) and strong arms them into submission.

Oct 30, 06 7:21 pm  · 
 · 

WOW. Now that's power!

Oct 30, 06 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
dia

I have realised that I have only realistically 2 years at the most at my current job before I suffer burnout.

Oct 30, 06 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

Evil, it sounds like you and I have worked for some of the same people.

Oct 30, 06 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Also, if you are going to be stupid, you should be pleasant. Mean stupid people are funny to a point. Then annoying.

Oct 30, 06 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

Then they wait on you at the DMV.

Oct 30, 06 10:57 pm  · 
 · 

i thought you were the 'boss', diabase? two years is plenty of time to change course.

Oct 31, 06 7:16 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

garpike, that's always been my attitude - I may be an idiot, but I'm sweet about it.

Despite spending yesterday as an interior decorator, I still have a passion for architecture - so much so that I'm actually quite boring!

Oct 31, 06 9:02 am  · 
 · 
Oops!!

garpike,

I think we should all be pleasant no matter where we land on the 'intelligence scale'...

Has anyone here met the real Tom Buresh? I'm not referring to my screen name here.

Tom is a very intelligent person in charge of a major architecture program. I have a lot of respect for him but he can be one of the most unpleasant people to try to speak to. He is mean, a little funny (trying hard to get a rise out of people) then annoying...and kind of rude.

Oct 31, 06 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Oops!!

mdler - I think your post deals with a major concern of mine and others in this biz.

However, I share the same attitude for architecture as liberty bell. I am addicted.

Oct 31, 06 11:54 am  · 
 · 

Tom Berusch = Frank Dimster???

Oct 31, 06 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
e

yes, i am humbly stoopid.

Oct 31, 06 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

mdler, I realized yesterday, while in a cafe restroom, that I actually love doing residential work. I had this realization because I noticed that the cafe had placed a piece of furniture in the restroom that completely messed up the ADA clearance of the room, and realized that was the first time in months that I had thought about ADA clearances, yay!

That said, sometimes I feel like I'll throw up if I have one more client ask me where they are going to store their toaster to minimize the distance between pantry, refrig, and toaster while making their PBnJ's. sometimes residential work feels too, too personal.

The point is (yes there is one): you may be sick of residential but could thrive doing commercial work. Or better yet institutional. One of the great things about all the church work I did in my past was how dang appreciative those clients were. They never had enough money, they knew their jobs weren't glamorous, yet they were so thankful for how we could help them and understand them - it always made me feel good about what I was doing.

So maybe it's time for a job shift - there are lots of firms hiring right now - or are you self-employed? Maybe it's time to refocus your marketing towards other kinds of clients.

PS Steven, honey, I'm worried about you.

Oct 31, 06 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
e

yeah, nothing gets more personal than discussing toilet options for your client's home. yuck, yuck, yuck.

Oct 31, 06 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
207moak

Timely category - I'm stuck in similar straits.
I love architecture, but the work I do every day rarely falls into that category. Its disappointing and I'm trying to figure out how to deal with it.
Do I think of my job as an assembly line and lower my expectations? find a new job? go out on my own?

Oct 31, 06 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Steven, I am self directed, but have to answer to one developer client...

Oct 31, 06 4:57 pm  · 
 · 

to the person (probably vado) who posted this you tube yesterday somewhere, thank you. this week i was feeling much like john cleese.

but no worries: in my new capacity - construction facilitator - i'm much more satisfied.

Oct 31, 06 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

You know your in trouble when your client can't see the value of Eastern WhiteCedar shingles or Alaskan yellow cedar shingles on a mansard roof with a little victorian gingerbread and a GAF Timberline Architectural Asphalt/Fiberglass shingle......The Damn Contractor and his ideas.....think I want to start a jhad! "Architects against the World"

Oct 31, 06 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
your_momma7911

You know, I spent a few years as a paramedic and having something to compare this too really helps me get through my day. My first day on the job as a paramedic this lady puked hepatitis positive blood all over me, said, "You're cute hun." and then died right in front of me. Between that horror story and the globulin shots I had to get for the next six months, pissy and impatient clients who don't pay are a vacation.

Its all a matter of perspective.

Nov 1, 06 2:51 am  · 
 · 
makelovebeforearchitecture

I'm fond of the game; tackling the arguments. It's addictive. Most of the time the make the design stronger. Turn your disavantage in your advantage....

recently, one of our clients at first wanted an extension to their house like this:

but happily ended up with this:

it responded much more their needs and the context

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Nov 1, 06 8:03 am  · 
 · 
makelovebeforearchitecture

I'm fond of the game; tackling the arguments. It's addictive. Most of the time they make the design stronger. Turn your disavantage in your advantage....

recently, one of our private clients at first wanted an extension to their house like this:

but happily ended up with this:

it responded much better their needs and the context

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Nov 1, 06 8:08 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

great job MLNA- you've won one over to our side!

Nov 1, 06 10:09 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

I love saying the word abattoir. My avatar belongs in an abattoir.

I have a meeting with the historic preservation commission today, yay!! I love my job!!

Actually, the Indy HPC is like a trip to the spa compared to the same governmental office back in Philly - every disgruntled worker on the planet populates that office, if only in spirit.

Nov 1, 06 10:19 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: