Archinect
anchor

Resume for grad school app

sanofiSYN

For the resume requirement that some schools request for grad school, what kind of resume is best to submit? Meaning, should it be tweaked and altered from one that is geared toward employment? Anyone have any samples? Please direct me to the proper thread if this topic was already covered.
Thanks.

Oct 29, 06 7:44 am
treekiller

sS-
just create a resume that puts your best foot forward. It's ok to add a few extra-curricular interests and activities that you wouldn't share with a boss- like:
Stunt kite flying, or blue ribbons for your apple pie.

I included: that I collect phrenological artifacts (no I don't)

Also if travel has been important, you can list some of your epic treks around the globe...

just be yourself and try to be unique. you want to show your personality, aspirations, and abilities.

Oct 29, 06 10:55 am  · 
 · 

Most of the schools I'm applying to request a CV for a resume, which can be longer than one page, so I tend to put more in. I include all the different scholarships I won, every time I was on the Dean's List, etc. for grad schools but not for employers.

Oct 29, 06 11:45 am  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

Hey, thanks you two. Another thing is, would it be a good idea to keep it to a typical resume look or "design" it up a little. Nothing wacky.

Oct 29, 06 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

I'm designing mine to coordinate with my portfolio. Unfortunately, I won't know how that works out until after you'll have submitted apps, too.

Oct 29, 06 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

In my experience resumes were used mainly to answer any questions the committee had about the candidate's experience as it related to their portfolio. What I mean is that if we were looking at someone's portfolio and saying "why does this guy have so many window details in here?" we could look and see "oh, he's been a cad drafter at a window company for the last 6 years and otherwise has really no art, design, architecture or drawing background". Or, "why does this person have a portfolio full of reindeer sweaters" and that was because he was a philosophy major who listed "knitting for fun and profit" on his resume. Or "why do all these projects look like a particular star-chitect's work?" and that was because she worked in that office for years...

I don't remember really studying the resumes on their own. They were more for reference and context.

I'd recommend just thinking about how your resume meshes with your portfolio, and using it to explain where you're coming from (work history, skills, community activities, memberships, etc.)

As far as what it should look like: just keep it simple and make sure information is easy to find.
With all of your application materials remember that sometimes you've got just minutes to make your impression. In the beginning of the process especially your portfolio is just one of several hundred books and they get passed around and flipped through very quickly. In later rounds of decisions each candidate gets discussed more in depth, but you have to make it to those rounds for that to happen!

Oct 29, 06 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
niket

Hey,
I too am applying to schools for fall 2007.
Feel free to view and comment my old portfolio and resume at www.niketshah.com - I am in the process of updating it

Nov 8, 06 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

niket, thanks for posting your portfolio...I am applying now also .
question: do you think your website will evalutated with your portfolio for the app? .

Nov 9, 06 5:06 am  · 
 · 
mgs

niket, thanks for sharing. don't take this personally, just some constructive advice. ;)

Four quick things came to mind after looking at your site.

Deja vu ...

CBT Architects

I don't know if you guys both used the same flash or what but it's something to think about before pointing Universities to your website. It's never good to give someone that feeling of "hmm, I know I've seen this before." And even worse if they can find where they saw it. CBT is a top Boston based firm in Architecture and Urban Design.

Two, spell check and proof read manually. You spell June, "Jun", under your education in Professional Photography. Best thing to do is have someone else hand proof it for you. It's often hard to find mistakes in something you've spent so much time on.

Three, do not use the a resume template. It's immediately apparent. I haven't used an objective in my resume since I was a sophomore in undergrad when we learned how to design a resume. You're applying to continue your education as a designer, your resume should reflect this in its composition. If you feel an absolute need to include an objective it better be meaningful. I would avoid very general buzzwords and cliches ... sustainable design ... You need to be much more specific for the objective to have any benefit. Just get rid of the objective, your objective should be clear from your personal statement, if it isn't, make sure it is.

Four, It's confusing when you say expected graduation from M.Arch 2008. This future graduation date, which pends acceptance to a Master's program, has no business on a resume. A resume is a snapshot of past and current experience and achievements. You would never put a job down that you hope to get. That said, your education should only list programs in which you are currently enrolled or have graduated from. Having this in your resume implies that you are currently enrolled in an M.Arch, which, if I'm understanding correctly, you are not.

My .04, take it or leave it, hope it helps in some way. It's 5 in the morning so I hope this didn't come off the wrong way.

I didn't look over your entire portfolio very carefully but what I've been told over and over again, your portfolio should contain your best work and only your best work. Anything that you are not completely proud and eager to show someone doesn't belong in a portfolio. If that means filtering pieces out of your portfolio, do it. It is my understanding that your portfolio should represent a consistent craftsmanship across the board. ie. if your models are fantastic your renderings should be as well or maybe they shouldn't make the cut. Again, that's really just some general advice not based on anything specific in your work.

Best of luck with applications. I'm a fellow applicant (M.Arch I) so my advice is just that, my own advice.

Nov 9, 06 6:31 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: