Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

glutisolator615

oh and, a very hearty congratulations to you!

Mar 24, 07 12:39 am  · 
 · 
vapor

havent heard from penn yet, i wonder if it's because of the 50 page portfolio i submitted...

Mar 24, 07 12:48 am  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

I could have helped you out and borrowed a few of those pages.

Mar 24, 07 12:50 am  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

vapor-

funny that you mentioned your large portfolio (against Penn's request). that won't matter. i dropped a 80 page one on them and my letter of intent was double their request.

Mar 24, 07 12:59 am  · 
 · 
Nell Lime

Chingale,
I applied for the professional degree, not the post professional (isn't it option 1 normally that is the post professional?), I just have a BS in Arch now. I think that I will call UO on Monday if I don't get anything in the mail tomorrow or Monday morning (mail comes early for me).

I'm not really worried about the other schools, I looked it up, and UBC says:
"Every portion of each and every application must be reviewed by the full Admissions Committee before final decisions are made and it is not generally possible to provide an immediate response to enquiries. The Committee works in an effective manner, and generally results will be available by the end of March."

And I found in the application packet, for the MArch II program, UW notifies by April 15th

So I guess that's heads up for those next year (hopefully not me too) who are applying next year.

Mar 24, 07 2:07 am  · 
 · 
zundfolge

Just got the UCLA e-ject, M. Arch 1, arrived within a few minutes of midnight, pacific time.

Mar 24, 07 3:13 am  · 
 · 
zundfolge

The e-ject directed me to check my status on-line...I guess they do make use of it after all.

Mar 24, 07 3:16 am  · 
 · 
Alackrity

UCB- not in
UCLA not in.

A disappointing end to a wonderful day.

Mar 24, 07 4:06 am  · 
 · 
baboomba

Man, something better come in the mailbox today or I'm gonna kick somebody's ass.

Mar 24, 07 10:39 am  · 
 · 
baboomba

I ain't no joke
I used to make the mic smoke

Mar 24, 07 10:40 am  · 
 · 
baboomba

O.k. Too much morning coffee.

Mar 24, 07 10:41 am  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

i'm getting really bored with my name. maybe when i go to grad school, i'll change it.

Mar 24, 07 11:16 am  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

5000!

Mar 24, 07 11:16 am  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

i can't fucking count!!

Mar 24, 07 11:17 am  · 
 · 
seopee

hahahaha i think you guys are funny :) maybe i should start posting three times in a row to get my post count up :P. baboomba, i'll either offer my ass for your foot or mail you something so you can at least get a nice snailmail and have a somewhat good reason to go check your mailbox. oh wait - well, it'll get there in like 2 weeks... but at least you'll get SOMETHING good :D! i'll even put some candy inside!

as threadstarter, i will also offer myself as "ass-cushion-for-foot" receiver (i think i've forgotten how to speak english so if someone could rephrase that into something more comprehensible, thanks) for all those who need to do some ass kicking or perhaps some resting of feet after a long day.

btw, is anyone else in a pool for march madness? i was #1 out of 52 AND got my acceptance on the same day! so i pretended that it was my birthday so that i could say "Wow, this has been the best birthday ever!!"

Mar 24, 07 11:36 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris

you could change it to 'The Archinector Formally Known As Froccli"

Mar 24, 07 11:38 am  · 
 · 
seopee

hahaha sorry i'm weird! haha! la la! i like being weird though!

Mar 24, 07 11:38 am  · 
 · 
seopee

doh! cpnorris, you interrupted my attempt at three posts in a row!! alas...! okay, i'm done being silly. i know i will regret posting when i read this tomorrow.

Mar 24, 07 11:39 am  · 
 · 
Japhy

Alright! 50 pages! I'm so proud of us!

Mar 24, 07 11:41 am  · 
 · 
salparadi

update for those who applied to GSD.

received a rejection today via USPS in brighton, ma

thin envelope, postmarked 3/23

best of luck to those who haven't heard yet.

Mar 24, 07 11:42 am  · 
 · 
Clairito

sorry to hear it salparadi and thanks for the update.

I don't want to sound pessimistic... but I think we may have slipped into the rejection week and this thread is going to become less amusing.

anybody heard any good jokes lately?

Mar 24, 07 11:55 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

ho do you get a nun pregnant?

Mar 24, 07 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

that should be how

Mar 24, 07 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

What does a gay horse eat?

HAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!

Mar 24, 07 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

f*%k her.

Mar 24, 07 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

ok but anyone heard any GOOD jokes? :-)

Mar 24, 07 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

i'm lying. i totally laughed out loud. thanks!

Mar 24, 07 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
vapor

i started doing netflix this past month, so at least a get a dvd in the mail every night when i get home even if there werent any letters from schools :)

Mar 24, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

seen anything good?

Mar 24, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmn it. nothing in the mail from penn. my colleagues heard yesterday... where the F is mine!?!

it's at least sunny and 85 outside...

Mar 24, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

sunny and 85!!!!!!! where do you live!?! it's 43 and overcast here : (

Mar 24, 07 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

Oof Madone!

UCLA e-ject.

Mar 24, 07 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

Question:

If Cincinnati is ranked number 2 by DI for their graduate program only because of their coop program which takes up an additionaly year, isn't that kind of giving the school an unfair advantage in the ratings? I mean, wouldn't someone who graduated from somewhere else and then worked for a firm for a year be at the same standing or better and in the same amount of time?

This whole Cincinnati thing is very confusing?

Please help.

Mar 24, 07 2:59 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

whats confusing is rankings in general. don't even look at them cause they are useless. and yes if you went somewhere else and worked for a year you would be in the same standing or better.

Mar 24, 07 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

50 pages, damn. This thread is on steroids! If this goes anywhere near Thread Central in terms of post count, I will be amazed.

Speaking of other threads, I encourage you all to go check out the "architecture sucks t-shirt" thread, for some, um, conversation material.

Ugh. Still sick! Yuck. Also no mail today.

Mar 24, 07 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

I don't know about "useless," there are so many schools to choose from so rankings have always helped give me some sort of a starting point. That said, I think DI doesn't understand how to evaluate schools very well if they don't control for the co-op program. They should be comparing CU grads with students from other schools who have worked for a year. Crazy!

Mar 24, 07 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

oh no! still sick from the hamburger? could it be food poisining?

Mar 24, 07 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Jesus I hope not. I have bad sinuses - I am like a human barometer - so I am thinking that my sinuses are acting up which is causing my nausea.

Also, I do admit to partying a little bit last night to celebrate my letters. Nothing wrong with that but I don't think this is because of that, mainly because that usually goes away by 3 pm, I know from experience....

Mar 24, 07 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

that is exactly why they are useless. they don't evaluate anything. they don't actually go to any schools to see what they are doing. plus architecture is not something that can be calculated into a number like law school or med school. every school is different and its very hard to say that any one is better than another because it really depends on you and what you want.

Mar 24, 07 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

I agree, but everyone relies on second hand knowledge because no one has time or the resources to visit every school with an architecture program, so I don't see any problem with using ratings as a starting point. DI, howerer, seems to be promoting DisInformation rather than Design Intelligence if they can't figure out how to control for certain factors.

Mar 24, 07 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

Also, I know several visual artists and they talk about the rankings of MFA programs as if they are indicative of something and fine arts seems even harder to quantify.

Mar 24, 07 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

For instance when Yale was the number one program in the nation it produced Eva Hesse, Chuck Close, Richard Serra, Bryce Marden and others. seems like whoever evaluated the program at the time was on to something.

Mar 24, 07 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

So where is everyone planning going? would someone whoe is going to the UCLA open house be willing to let me know how it goes? Plane tickets were 500 + and i have to go the next week.

Mar 24, 07 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
poisondarts

hrmmm...

(remember i'm looking at urban planning programs... don't want to freak people out about MIT)

official letter from MIT today... no fellowship/scholarship/etc. seems like there are many ways to get money (according to the enclosed letter), but nothing guaranteed.

offical letter from GSD today... waitlisted. when i first started this process, i was convinced that the GSD was my top choice, but now i'm thinking MIT is a better fit anyway. the program is much more flexible and varied than the GSD's, and i can always take a few kickass courses over there (cross registration, remember?) while really using the resources of MIT to shape my interests and experiences.

and finally, UPenn is offering money.

oh, and not so finally, columbia is totally off my radar now.

so, all of my information is in (well, except for that pesky waitlist). i'm relieved and excited (i'm under no pressure to go this year, so i only applied to programs i was really interested in. 3 acceptances and a waitlist are just about best case scenario), terrified about the money, and pleased to have a decision to make.

thanks for all of the support, guys. =)

Mar 24, 07 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I agree that rankings are ok to use as a starting point. the problem that i have seen on archinect however, is that people look at the DI rankings as some kind of authority. But if you get past the short list of schools in the ranking and actually read the whole architecture section of the DI rankings you will see how shallow they are. so yeah, i agree that as a staring point they are ok, but as a basis for a decision on where you will attend school, absolutely not.

And just to note, ann_culture I am not at all assuming that this is what you are using rankings for but there are a number of threads on this site discussing rankings and I have seen a lot of people putting way too much emphasis on them.

Mar 24, 07 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
vapor

got big envolope from penn this morning, cept they are claiming i didnt satisfy their physics requirements. the wait's over for me. 5 out of 5 this time around :)

Mar 24, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

sounds like a good weekend for many of you so far. congrats everyone

Mar 24, 07 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
miami

it would have been better if something was in the mail from GSD. Is there a consensus that what's left are all rejections??

Mar 24, 07 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
poisondarts

don't be so sure, miami. mine was postmarked thursday. maybe they're still sending out some acceptances and waitlists for M.Arch, too?

Mar 24, 07 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
miami

i sure hope you're right. Did anyone receive Yale financial aid info??

Mar 24, 07 4:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: