Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

glutisolator615

Kalyani,

I received an envelope that was too thin too be an acceptance packet and too big to be a rejection letter. I thought they were screwing with my mind, but when I opened it it turned out to be wait list info.

Mar 23, 07 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

yay!

i got my tax return! they sent me a letter yesterday that my direct deposit had failed for some reason and they were going to send me a paper check... but now here it is sitting in my checking account. maybe i'll get the paper check also.

Mar 23, 07 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

that didn't really have anything to do with grad school... but i wanted something to cheer about.

Mar 23, 07 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Hey. Somebody on the gradcafe site says they got accepted to MIT MArch via phone call. Check it out. I think it's bullshit though. There's a Harvard acceptance a couple of entries below it that is typed the same way.

Mar 23, 07 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

My workday is over, but I have to hang around the office to wait for a friend who's meeting me here. Good news is, we're going out for dinner and drinks afterwards. Bad news is, I won't be able to check my mail until much later tonight... Not that it makes a difference.

Mar 23, 07 6:30 pm  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

Does anyone here know about the LAIAD program in LA?

Mar 23, 07 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
n_

is a 3.4 a bad gpa?

Mar 23, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

had to have my Friday noodle without tokyoDrifter today :(

Mar 23, 07 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

elvis, should be good enough for most places you apply to

Mar 23, 07 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
autonomous

poisondarts- you are in dc too :) maybe ive run into you on the train!

Mar 23, 07 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

that was my GPA. Was it arch. undergrad?

Mar 23, 07 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
Dedalus

I received nothing from MIT today... what a bummer. Something tells me there running a little behind schedule. And so it continues...

Mar 23, 07 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
n_

yea, that is with a D in calculas.

i am really, really scared that schools will see that D and make me retake it.

what do you guys think?

Mar 23, 07 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

wow there are a lot of people in dc...im here too

a 3.4 is not bad...i had way worse. its a bummer about berkeley today, i was sure i would hear something

Mar 23, 07 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

berkeley rejection via email.

Mar 23, 07 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
tzenyujuei

usually arch schools dont care about calc but the university might... that is the only reason i can think of that you would be made to retake it

Mar 23, 07 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

spoke too soon...didnt get into berkeley. ucla here i come!!!

Mar 23, 07 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

mctwist657 - I'm with you!

Mar 23, 07 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

Berkeley out :(

UCLA pissed me off so, though I didn't want to go there anyway, I am definitely declining them.

Now it's down to UC, UT Austin and Syracuse....

and Syracuse might be is pulling ahead.

Mar 23, 07 7:42 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

how did ucla piss you off?

Mar 23, 07 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
zzzhc

ucb rejection. woohoo.

Mar 23, 07 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

I can't get a straight answer from anyone there regarding financial aid. No matter the question i ask, I get a cut and paste form response. I'm over it.

I honestly wasn't going to go anyway- but that solidified it.

Mar 23, 07 7:48 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

UCB totally waited till the end of the day on Friday to reject us to avoid making a scene...

Mar 23, 07 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
n_

i have just noticed on a few applications (i.e. yale) it asks for your grades in a few prerequisites. i am scared that they will see the D and automatically right me off. hopefully, the A's in the studios will make up for it.

Mar 23, 07 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

O.k. That's it. I'm definitely leaving the office now. No news sucks.

Mar 23, 07 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

broccolijet's waitlist strategy:

1) Find out where you are on school X's waitlist
2) Scour this thread to find those who got accepted to said school
3) Track down, find, and kill enough of them to bump you into the last slot

You can thank me later.

Love,
broccolijet

Mar 23, 07 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
fredh

rejected too at UCB

Mar 23, 07 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
chingale

Hey archinectors,

Just back from a long trip outta town and found that this thread had exploded with tons of positive acceptences and energy. That rocks. Congratulations to all! For those you are still waiting, I'm with ya to the end...whew...

As a pre-professional M.Arch applicant, I came home to find a fridge full of liquified veggies and...

Yale - rejected
UBC - accepted
UO - accepted
UW - waitlisted
UT-A - ??
GSD - reject expected any day...

That's it for my stats!

Continued best wishes to everyone!

Mar 23, 07 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

So, I take back my prior bitterness. Instead I say....

FUCK BERKELEY- I GOT INTO UPENN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got home and found the fat envelop in my mailbox...WOOOPPPEEEEEE!

...still don't know where I am going....

Mar 23, 07 8:53 pm  · 
 · 
nomadic

So I don't know if there are many of you out there still waiting to hear from UTA but I finally e-mailed them to ask "wtf?" and I received this message in reply:

"I completely understand your situation! Unfortunately, you are in our last group for the committee to review (the groups are generated randomly within the program desired, not due to some quality in your file). I have been assured by the committee chair that all decisions will be finalized on Monday, so you should be able to check your status online Monday evening or Tuesday morning.

Thank you for your patience."

Basically, I just want an answer, but it was nice to know that I'm not in the "borderline" group of applicants. There must be tons of ways that different schools go through applications and send out responses but I never thought of any of them generating random groups and not telling us...good to know for the next year's applicants, i guess, though...

Mar 23, 07 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
chingale

nomadic,
really appreciate the update on UTA! Good luck!

Mar 23, 07 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
lucia01

+i: regarding UVA financial aid - sorry to chime in way after your question! - but i know they sent out offers wednesday/thursday (3.22) - so yours should be coming (i called wednesday)

Mar 23, 07 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

congratulations on upenn whattodo!!! if you decide on syracuse though i'll see you there.

Mar 23, 07 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

Thanks CP!!! I am really torn! Did you decide? I had a great chat with the Dean at Syracuse yesterday...he really sold it!

I think Cincinnati is falling off my list....UCLA is done too I think...

Now, deciding between Syracuse, Austin, and Penn....

oh man this is rough!

Have you officially decided?

Mar 23, 07 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I am still waiting on GSD, UT Austin and Rice but Syracuse was honestly just one of my top picks after visiting all the schools. I was more excited about them then anyone else. I just really like there program and what they have to offer so I have basically decided on Syracuse. Although I am still waiting on the others to atleast respond before I officially declare anything.

Your decision sounds like a tough one. Those three schools couldn't be more different though. Good luck with your decisions and if you want any opinions about those programs just ask.

Mar 23, 07 10:01 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

so. i've done some drinking sinve i go tthe ucb rejection.. and i've decided to be happy anyway because.. frankly.. i have no arch background and i'm about to begin an AMAZING career where i'll be building amazing things for the rest of my life.. just because i don't get a view of the bay from my studio and dont' get to live near San Fransisco and some of the people i love most in the world... whatever.

Mar 23, 07 10:02 pm  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

Broccolijet,

Thanks that is a splendid idea. I'm already making a list and with all the photos of archinecters on myspace I'll know who to look for.

Oh and to everyone else mark me down as a Cal e-ject as well.

Mar 23, 07 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

Clairto,

where are you going to go then?

Mar 23, 07 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

ahem, I mean clair-i-to... sorry.

Mar 23, 07 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

clarito, you are right after a few beers you get your perspective back....where are you going?

Mar 23, 07 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

go beers! boooo bears!

Mar 23, 07 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

Cal bears, that is.

Mar 23, 07 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

UCLA :-)

fight on... er um.. go Bruins!

Mar 23, 07 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

which is a type of bear isn't it... fuck

Mar 23, 07 10:46 pm  · 
 · 
Catcow

Still waiting from UC... and I'm in Cincinnati. (4+ M.Arch)

and have yet to hear anything from Ohio State....

UIC is finally looking at my application; for some reason, they didn't receive one of my reference's letters, so I had him re-send it.

So far:

Miami OH... Waitlist
IIT... Accepted

Mar 23, 07 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

Hey catcow...i checked my status for osu online yesturday and it changed, but i have yet to have any real notification

Mar 23, 07 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
Nell Lime

Aren't I glad I wasn't looking at this until today. I got my first notification today
UC Berkeley: rejected

I haven't heard anything from the other schools I applied for UO, UW or UBC. I've applied for the MArch 2 programs and am getting a bit nervious, especially as it seems others have heard from those schools...

Mar 23, 07 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
Say No to Student Loans

did anyone else get into Penn 3 year M arch?

i'm curious beacause i got in the 3 year program thinking i qualified for the 2 (with a 4-year bachelor of science in architecture)

if it will be only 2 years, it's my first choice

anyone in this dilema?

Mar 23, 07 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
chingale

Nell,
I spoke with Helga from UO today and she gave me my acceptance over the phone but it was for pre-professional. It sounds like you are post. Perhaps you can call on Monday? Good luck!

Mar 24, 07 12:04 am  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

stop the presses Clairito,

you've heard from UCLA?

I applied M. arch 1 and have heard nothing ):

Mar 24, 07 12:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: