Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch applicants, commiserate here!

ClemsonDnB

poisondarts! thats awesome, congratulations on mit!!

Mar 23, 07 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
poisondarts

ummm... course 11?

am i being dumb again?

Mar 23, 07 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

Homer Simpson Disguised Phone Voice "HELLO, HARVARD PLEASE?"

Mar 23, 07 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

mit departments are all numbered

http://web.mit.edu/education/

course 11 is urban studies & planning. is that the program you are in?

Mar 23, 07 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
poisondarts

YES!

you're much more 'in the know' than i am.

DSUP (11) and in the city design and development (CDD) group (my undergrad is a b.arch)

Mar 23, 07 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
tokyoDrifter

in my inbox, from the GSD:

"By now we hope that you've had a chance to wade through the package of
information that you have received from us. We know you probably have
many questions..."

I haven't received a package. Has anyone else gotten something in the mail with more detailed information?

Mar 23, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

tokyoDrifter,

You did get at least a phone call, right? I haven't gotten anything from GSD. Just curious.

Thanks.

Mar 23, 07 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
tokyoDrifter

Hi Baboomba, I did get a phone call last week, yes.

Mar 23, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Thanks, TokyoDrifter.

Man, I'm officially freaked out. I feel certain that I didn't get into Harvard and I got denied by Yale. MIT and Rice are the only ones left. Don't get me wrong. I'm happy about the UT acceptance, but I'm really hoping for MIT.

Mar 23, 07 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

i got the same e-mail tokyo but no package. i also haven't received any financial aid from any of the schools. does anyone know when and how this info is disseminated?

poisondarts: i did my underg there. we always heard that the urban s&p departments is one of the best, so that's great! i was so close to majoring in course 11, but instead i chose the easier aeronautical engineering route. haha. not really.

Mar 23, 07 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
mctwist657

has anyone gotten rejected from berkeley yet?

i cant stand this pressure....i am starting to get negitive about the whole thing

Mar 23, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
nicey

gsd financial aid info is in the packet.

Mar 23, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
fredh

mctwist657: i feel the same ...it will be a terrible weekend if i don't receive anything today!
yesterday few people received an email from berkeley, it sound that nobody did today!! :(

Mar 23, 07 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

Man ..its like 5pm in Cambridge. I don;t think MIT is calling...at least not me....I guess I'll try and forget about all this until Next week. Now where did I put those beers?

Mar 23, 07 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

O.k. I'm going to count to 10 and by 10 we all get the e-mail from MIT.

O.k. Check your inboxes.

Mar 23, 07 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
archrise

Froccli-can you have your friend pass along the skinny on USC to me as well? I got accepted but I don't know as much about it as I would like. Plus everyone is telling me that it is in a bad part of LA. I visited Sci-Arc and UCLA and wasn't impressed but USC wasn't on my radar at the time.

Mar 23, 07 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
archrise

For some reason the statement:

"A watched pot never boils."

comes to mind.

Mar 23, 07 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Whoever came up with that statement just didn't watch the pot long enough.

Mar 23, 07 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Right guys?

· 
signoreburberry

Do you people really wanna spend the money to go to Sci-Arc when you can go to UCLA or USC?

Don't bother with Sci-Arc. If you want good connections, go to USC.

· 
ff33º

A watched Inbox never boils.

Mar 23, 07 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

I think I counted 10 people that heard from Cal yesterday (and that's only on Archinect)...not me:(

That doesn't sound too promising. Man, I love that city! My brother went there, my mentor went there, I don't feel optimistic...

Mar 23, 07 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Man, I've lost it. I just fired off an e-mail to MIT asking when they will be notifying. Maybe I am a stalker after all.

· 
cpnorris

haha! baboomba I like that logic

· 
cpnorris

i was refering to the watched pot not the stalker

· 
ff33º

baboomba, are you AP?

Mar 23, 07 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

signoreburberry - wait. USC is cheap? its a private school so it must $30K plus a year. Although I guess they probably give out good financial aid.

Mar 23, 07 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
signoreburberry

So which schools have you guys heard from?

Mar 23, 07 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

USC is in the ghetto....but that’s ok because it counter-acts all the snobs that go there. It isn't called the “University of Spoilt Children" for nothing! Though that does usually refer to the undergrads...

Mar 23, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

No, not AP. You?

Mar 23, 07 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

Yeah..Dedalus said AP was feirce....which is bad for me.. I think my porfolio will fare well, but my GRE and stuff ain't so hot...I am nervous.

Mar 23, 07 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

USC and Yale are both in the ghetto. Right in the middle of it.

Mar 23, 07 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
archrise

I am out like a trout for the weekend. Best of luck of all.

After all, RISD did call me on a Saturday.

Mar 23, 07 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

USC is cool though because that area was really nice in the 1910s so there are some really lovely mansions that are all falling apart... if you like that sorta thing. I went there undergrad and the only problems i had involved the food. There is a TON of fast food and very little else. Even the producer at the grocery store was pretty shaddy.

Mar 23, 07 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

My GRE is very good, my undergrad GPA extremely low, and I'm not sure how good the rest is. I have no idea what my chances are.

Anyway, best of luck. Did you go to the open house? It didnt' seem like there were that many people at the open house. Maybe 60.

Mar 23, 07 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Clairito

i meant to say produce but now that i think about... i stand by that statement.

Mar 23, 07 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Yeah, I'm about to cash it in and leave work. This sucks. Was really hoping to hear something today.

Mar 23, 07 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
+i

baboomba, i was the opposite- my GPA was super high, my GRE was super low... i still got into a phd program and an m.arch program. it really has nothing to do with "scores"

Mar 23, 07 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Do you think that's true for all schools?

Mar 23, 07 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
fredh

me i apply for Option 3 at UCB:
i don't know what is really good in what i send...i hope they care of my 12 years in the automotive design industry and my 2 years at gehry partner and gehry tech. helping them managing their large scale project in 3d.
They all say, there will be no problem for me...but i start to not believe it.

Mar 23, 07 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
baboomba

Actually, scratch my last question. My belief is that scores do matter or they wouldn't ask for them. I think they're more heavily weighted at the better schools. I also think that MIT, of all places, probably wants a high GRE because it is a "raw intelligence" kind of place.

Mar 23, 07 5:50 pm  · 
 · 
ff33º

yeah fredh ...its crap shoot

Mar 23, 07 5:51 pm  · 
 · 
w3

i think you're right baboomba - however, i do think that they're going to choose an initial group of admits based mostly (if not entirely on the portfolio) but then weed through those using the rest of the app. material. that's the process that i was told by a guy @ UVa who was on the review board when he was an M.arch student there (apparently they brought some select students to join the process).

Mar 23, 07 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I think it's pretty much all about the portfolio, followed by the statement and recommendations. I think the GPA and GRE only factor in if they're unusually high or low, in which case they might become a deciding factor if you're a borderline case otherwise.

As for me, I think I had a pretty good portfolio (although seeing some other people's portfolios here have made me very self-conscious about it), and my GRE is somewhat above-average. My GPA is a bit trickier, as I had a horribly low GPA during my first couple years of undergrad in the 90's, but I've been keeping up straight A's since going back to school recently.

Assuming I don't get accepted anywhere, I suspect a big factor is that the admissions people have reached the same conclusion that I've already reached: That it would pretty much take one or two minor miracles for me to finish my BA and prerequisites in time to start grad school in the fall.

That said, in looking at other people's portfolios I'm realizing that there's still a lot of room for improvement in my own portfolio... I've already got a few ideas for how to get it up to par for next year.

Mar 23, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
+i

you can try to strategize, but the fact is there you could have perfect scores and still not get in... not even into your precious "ivies". and yes, people get in with less than minimum GPAs- into columbia AND MIT... because it wasn't "the number" that got em there.

Mar 23, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

Does anyone have any advice on how to increase my odds of getting into SCI-arch now that I'm on there wait list.

Mar 23, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

oops, ...their wait list.

Mar 23, 07 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
glutisolator615

hope I didn't do that on my application.

Mar 23, 07 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
Japhy

ann: i'm not sure how you would increase your odds (however, i'd like to know if there's a way too). btw, how did you find out that you were on the waiting list? last year, i was put on UT-Austin's wait list (and later accepted), but only found out by calling them (late march, early april?) i was just wondering if schools usually notify people via mail or email that they're on the waiting list.

Mar 23, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

archrise, msg me and i'll give you his email.

Mar 23, 07 6:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: