Archinect
anchor

Firing a Client

whistler

So I am faced with a situation where a client has repeatedly asked us to prepare a design based on her original sketch that does not meet code or Licensing requirements for a Daycare. Not to mention the moral aspects any other thoughts comments on similar situations.

Its a bit weird as the head of the conduct committee at the local Architect Association and I both thought this is new one. It doesn't happen often and want to complete the termination with grace and make it clean so that both parties can move on. The outstanding funds are the least of my concern
( less than $5k). I am more concerned about the client and any further crap they request. We aren't even talking design yet ... life safety for kids not less???

Oct 12, 06 3:22 pm
snooker

It seems pretty straight forward to me. Architects are not allowed to design illegal buildings as per professional registration. Tell her you
are putting your registration at risk along with all of the issues of
life, health and safety for the kids in the day care. If she gets scarry.....run like hell cause she might be carrying a gun!

Oct 12, 06 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

What does your contract say? Doesn't the standard AIA have a clause that goes something like "either party can terminate at will with a written letter and 7 days notice"?

Oct 12, 06 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

well if it dont meet code or licensing, you ain't gonna get a permit anyway. doesnt she understand this???

Oct 12, 06 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Thanks, Vado good point. I just learned today that they actually apllied for a permit with their sketch??????.

My contract does have the standard right for both parties to terminate the agreement so that's what we are using to trigger the termination and get far away from them. I was told to get my lawyer to prepare the language of the termination notice jsut so it reads accurately and cuts things off clean.

Oct 12, 06 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Just pulled the trigger and sent off the Termination letter. Certainly been interesting As enjoyable as it sounds Firing a client has potential downside as well, I could see them trying to fight back but and accuse me of being the problem so we made sure that we covered off the issues. I would recommend that even if you have to fire a client to make sure you have the paper trail to ensure your role has been professional and appropriate.

Oct 16, 06 3:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: